Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone use in States

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Macer123

Can anyone please confirm if I am to buy the Three UK SIM as linked many times on this thread, will the phone I am using need to be unblocked (currently on the Three Ireland network) ? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,619 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Macer123 wrote: »
    Can anyone please confirm if I am to buy the Three UK SIM as linked many times on this thread, will the phone I am using need to be unblocked (currently on the Three Ireland network) ? Thanks.

Yes needs to be unlocked, separate company.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭paulhardman

Macer123 wrote: »

Yes, it will. Either unlocked or locked to Three UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Hurrache wrote: »
    Can you tell us the link as to which you bought?

https://www.mymemory.ie/3-payg-4g-trio-sim-pack-aio15-3000-minutes-3000-texts-5gb-data.html

€16 now though. Guess I got a January Sale.

Remember Amazon also sell this and the prices often fluctuates(currently around the same price but no free shipping until you hit £20/25

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Mobile-Data-Pay-You/dp/B0753DK9JP/ref=sr_1_2?s=telephone&ie=UTF8&qid=1547552339&sr=1-2&keywords=three+5gb

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ParkyJiSung

Is there anywhere you could buy these in manchester airport? Heading to NYC sunday,, too late now to get anything shipped.
    Never realised they existed they sound the right job

• Advertisement

Is there anywhere you could buy these in manchester airport? Heading to NYC sunday,, too late now to get anything shipped.

Dunno but this could cost a bit more BUT you could buy one from Amazon, get it shipped 1/2 days to Northern Ireland and through Parcel Motel/Wizard to get it to you wherever you are. If you used Parcel Motel at least they fill the lockers on a Saturday so a better chance.

I bought something last week on a Monday at 7pm, it was delivered to my house(direct and not through NI) at 8am Wednesday so you could run the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Berty wrote: »
    https://www.mymemory.ie/3-payg-4g-trio-sim-pack-aio15-3000-minutes-3000-texts-5gb-data.html

€16 now though. Guess I got a January Sale.

Remember Amazon also sell this and the prices often fluctuates(currently around the same price but no free shipping until you hit £20/25

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Mobile-Data-Pay-You/dp/B0753DK9JP/ref=sr_1_2?s=telephone&ie=UTF8&qid=1547552339&sr=1-2&keywords=three+5gb

Cheers!

Wasn't aware of this thread until your post bumped it. So basically buy that SIM and you have that allowance to use while in the US? There's a Q&A on the Amazon website that says that the text and voice allowance can only be used to call the UK?

And the Amazon one you link to has 30GB of data, the mymemory one has 5GB.

Cheers!

Wasn't aware of this thread until your post bumped it. So basically buy that SIM and you have that allowance to use while in the US?

There's one with 12GB Data Only, then the others have 1,3,5GB and upwards that come with calls and texts.

12GB lasts 12 months from the date you activate it(put into the phone)
    The others are basically pay as you go cards pre loaded where the data/calls/texts you buy only last 30 days.

My upcoming trip is 6 days so I went with 5GB as I'll also have Wifi in the hotel and my wife can tether off my data when needed out and about. Tested already with my S8 so definitely works for me.

No calls and Texts can be used in the USA. I know as I've used it to call home on the last trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Berty wrote: »
    No calls and Texts can be used in the USA. I know as I've used it to call home on the last trip.

Hope it's a case of "Eats, shoots and leaves",

You're saying "No, calls and texts can be used" as in you've used the calls and texts to text and call Ireland from the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

if youve chance to go to argos in uk, £35 for 12GB with 12 months expiry

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5787957

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Hope it's a case of "Eats, shoots and leaves",

You're saying "No, calls and texts can be used" as in you've used the calls and texts to text and call Ireland from the US?

I think you can use whatsapp/viber but not regular phone service, i struggled to send texts in US

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Hoolies

Hoping someone can guide me. Trying to top up one of three SIM cards I bought approx 18monthd ago. Failing to topup online. Using Revolut card but fails due to different addresses - I have tried to change the Revolut card address. Any ideas? Anyone else have problems topping up?

Thanks

M

Hoolies wrote: »
    Hoping someone can guide me. Trying to top up one of three SIM cards I bought approx 18monthd ago. Failing to topup online. Using Revolut card but fails due to different addresses - I have tried to change the Revolut card address. Any ideas? Anyone else have problems topping up?

Thanks

Are you logging in through Three.co.uk?

The pricing to topup is multiples of the price to buy a fresh card, if you have time it's far cheaper to just buy a new card.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Hoolies

Are you logging in through Three.co.uk?

The pricing to topup is multiples of the price to buy a fresh card, if you have time it's far cheaper to just buy a new card.

Yes using the .co.uk site and selecting one of the multiples available for top ups. It fails based on addresses saved for three website and Revolut. As stated in OP I have changed both of these to be a UK address as it has to be UK. If no-one else has successfully topped up i’ll Look at getting another SIM. Thank you @AtlanticDawn

• Registered Users Posts: 9,933 ✭✭✭dodzy

Yes using the .co.uk site and selecting one of the multiples available for top ups. It fails based on addresses saved for three website and Revolut. As stated in OP I have changed both of these to be a UK address as it has to be UK. If no-one else has successfully topped up i’ll Look at getting another SIM. Thank you @AtlanticDawn

Forget topping up and success of others. GET THE NEW CARD. different number, but surely that’s irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭glog

This site works to buy a voucher, but they take a £1.50 cut for £10

https://www.mobiletopup.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭webpal

I’ve come across this deal - 8gb data a month, for three months, $20 all in.

https://www.mintmobile.com/product/03-month-medium-sim-card-plan/?clickid=X5NUrg2AcxyJTc30RFzYkRCrUkgVciR25wbu0g0&irgwc=1

Use code CHUNKYTWEET to take off $40

Might not be the best or cheapest but it’s an option

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mar2000

Thanks
    Hi there. I have a 3 UK sim that I use once or twice a year and I buy top up from a website called mobiletopup.co.uk and they email you the top up code immediately and then I just top up online as I have the number registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭adam88

If you get one of these SIM cards are you screwed for using what’s app ???? What’s app is linked to a phone number correct? So if I’m using a three Uk SIM card my Irish what’s app number won’t wirk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Only if you reregister the WhatsApp account with a new number or attempt to use it on two phones at the same time.

If you don't do anything, it shouldn't care as long as it has data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fifi28

adam88 wrote: »
    If you get one of these SIM cards are you screwed for using what’s app ???? What’s app is linked to a phone number correct? So if I’m using a three Uk SIM card my Irish what’s app number won’t wirk.

Used mine in November when in florida and the first time i opened whattsapp after putting in the us sim it asked did i want to switch the number to the us one and i tapped no and then it just worked as normal. Hth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

Looked up 3mobile uk site.
    Looks like you can only phone or text uk numbers - cand ring Ireladn or other phones in USA. Am I reading this correctly.
    If I am, any other sugestions. group of us going to vegas in april and would like to be able to ring home and also to be able to ring/text each other while there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,933 ✭✭✭dodzy

jem wrote: »
    Looked up 3mobile uk site.
    Looks like you can only phone or text uk numbers - cand ring Ireladn or other phones in USA. Am I reading this correctly.
    If I am, any other sugestions. group of us going to vegas in april and would like to be able to ring home and also to be able to ring/text each other while there.
    Set up a group of the travellers and keep in touch over whatsapp. For calling home, again just use whatsapp or an alternative. If you want the luxury of dialling home as a regular call, you'll have to get a plan with an international calls add-on.

Just use whatsapp. Cheaper & easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mac_daddy

Cheaper than Argos and looks like they ship free to Ireland:

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-with-12gb-data.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

Looks like exactly what I’m looking for. How do people use these, just swap out with your Irish SIM card, giving you data and WhatsApp ?
    How does it work for phone calls and sms, do people set up a call divert to their new SIM card number for the duration of the trip ?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fast_eddie

There's an even cheaper one for stg£20 with loads of calls and texts - but the 12Gb data allowance will only last for 30 days...

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/3-payg-4g-trio-sim-pack-aio20-3000-minutes-3000-texts-12gb-data.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JonnieGee

I'm flying to the US next week, forgot to get a sim. Could anybody recommend somewhere I could buy a preloaded UK sim that would deliver by next Wednesday close of business?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

fast_eddie wrote: »
    There's an even cheaper one for stg£20 with loads of calls and texts - but the 12Gb data allowance will only last for 30 days...

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/3-payg-4g-trio-sim-pack-aio20-3000-minutes-3000-texts-12gb-data.html

Would those calls and texts work for calls back to Ireland or would they just be for calls to the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fast_eddie

pissed wrote: »
    Would those calls and texts work for calls back to Ireland or would they just be for calls to the UK?

Calls/texts to UK numbers only afaik...

• Advertisement
    M

One good plus with the Three Data sim when abroad is the IP address it gets assigned is a UK one so you can use the likes of BBC iPlayer with them.

Advertisement