Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone use in States

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 landlord

I saw this unlimited data offer from amazon UK for £26.99 reduced from £35 and with free delivery to Ireland.
    I need US data.
    Am I missing something or is this a great deal ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Mobile-All-You-Can-Eat-Data-Pay/dp/B075CPQB1D

Update.....
    Pay As You Go customers cannot use their add-ons as a personal hotspot but may use their top-up credit at 1p/MB to do so. Your preloaded allowance will last 30 days from activation.

I guess this is an add on so you can’t use the personal hotspot?

and

Go Roam.
    Use your allowances to call/text the UK and use data. Limits apply, PAYG requires an add-on. For holiday use only. Limits apply including a fair use data limit of 9 GB in Go Roam destinations.

Considering this restriction if it’s only roaming data you are looking for then this is cheaper (also limited to 9GB roaming.

Three Mobile 12 GB Data Pay As You Go SIM https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075CP4L3X/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_oGxOCbPEQ6X29

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

sully123 wrote: »
    Hey Berty,

Did the sim work out ok?
    Most posts here refer to the 12gb option from Mymemory.ie
    You seem to be the only one who has tried the cheaper 5gb option.

I'm here right now typing this. Basically 4G all day long in Manhattan even in the subway(not between stations). Using the 5gb right now with calls and texts.

Don't use much data really because WiFi in the hotel so using little out and about, just messaging between our group and Facebook.

Thing is I've tried to make 2 calls using the UK number. Neither worked. As soon as I made the call with the Irish sim it connected.

Also, I confirm I can tether to other phones. Had 4 connected at one stage.

One of the others here ordered the SIM 2 weeks before we went and didn't arrive. They're slow, my memory.

They also sell on Amazon, I'd be ordering there next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Can you receive calls? Just wondering if I can divert calls to this number.
    Berty wrote: »
    I'm here right now typing this. Basically 4G all day long in Manhattan even in the subway(not between stations). Using the 5gb right now with calls and texts.

Don't use much data really because WiFi in the hotel so using little out and about, just messaging between our group and Facebook.

Thing is I've tried to make 2 calls using the UK number. Neither worked. As soon as I made the call with the Irish sim it connected.

Also, I confirm I can tether to other phones. Had 4 connected at one stage.

One of the others here ordered the SIM 2 weeks before we went and didn't arrive. They're slow, my memory.

They also sell on Amazon, I'd be ordering there next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭webpal

Arrived yesterday in Florida via Newark and am only getting E speeds in both locations, any way of improving this as can’t tether.

webpal wrote: »
    Arrived yesterday in Florida via Newark and am only getting E speeds in both locations, any way of improving this as can’t tether.

What phone are you using? You may not have the correct the US 3G/4G Bands?

• Advertisement

What phone are you using? You may not have the correct the US 3G/4G Bands?

It’s a huawei y6, there is 4g on it. Under networks only t mobile 2g shows but I’ve got at&t on other phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

It’s a huawei y6, there is 4g on it. Under networks only t mobile 2g shows but I’ve got at&t on other phone

3g/4g uses different frequencies is the US than we do in Ireland - Your device may not support all frequencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

https://willmyphonework.net

Different sub models have different frequencies.

Balls, plan b so. Anyone know if I put the 3 uk 12 month sim into my iPhone can I still use Lyft and WhatsApp? I don’t care about calls and texts from my number

Don't know what to say about bands. I was in California last year and just about getting 3G covered but in New York even in the Subway I as getting 4G. I noticed that I stayed on AT&T the entire time I was in the USA.

• Advertisement

Balls, plan b so. Anyone know if I put the 3 uk 12 month sim into my iPhone can I still use Lyft and WhatsApp? I don’t care about calls and texts from my number

Yeah just sign into them with your other number, you will still get the SMS with the code on that SIM

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

You don't need to sign into them with the new number if the apps already installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

Seems WhatsApp works fine with my original number. When inserting the 3 sim it asks do you want to switch your WhatsApp to the new number, just select no and your WhatsApp will work as normal

Can confirm it works fine, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭bamayang

Here now. Working great

And for what it’s worth, Viber is the same, handy for Viber out calls

I assume you can receive calls ok on that data SIM? I might pick one up and divert my Irish number to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I've found data speeds and data plans in the US to either be slow or stupidly expensive or a combination of both.

Maybe times have changed but that's my recollection of it.

lawred2 wrote: »
    I've found data speeds and data plans in the US to either be slow or stupidly expensive or a combination of both.

4G is new York for me and barely 3G on the west coast so was hit and miss but the trips were 6 months apart so maybe three UK got a better deal.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

lawred2 wrote: »

I couldn't get over what people were willing to pay for in Canada for a phone plan when I was living there. That was a few years ago now. Low data allowances and expensive bills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

sugarman wrote: »
    Just get a free 3 UK sim, they've 3 like home in the U.S so you are billed as normal.

If you have a data allowance it works as normal over there, along with calls/texts.

Costs £10 for 1GB plan, £20 for 12GB or else All you can eat for £25.

I keep one handy for countries my 3 Ireland sim hasnt got 3 like home in.

Been using this for a couple of years now. Dual SIM phone and turn on roaming on the UK sim.

15 quid for 5gb is what I go for.

You need to buy a voucher online from third parties and top up via voucher code on the 3 site. Three require a UK card and address for top up via card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

Heading to the States next month, whats the best option going at the moment? Is it through Amazon or mymemory. Unsure whether to go for the 30 day package or 12 month package. Is that the main difference? This seems pretty good https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075CP4L3X/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_oGxOCbPEQ6X29

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

ynwa_17 wrote: »
    Heading to the States next month, whats the best option going at the moment? Is it through Amazon or mymemory. Unsure whether to go for the 30 day package or 12 month package. Is that the main difference? This seems pretty good https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075CP4L3X/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_oGxOCbPEQ6X29

ts and cs

Limits apply including a fair use data limit of 9 GB in Go Roam destinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

vickers209 wrote: »
    ts and cs

Limits apply including a fair use data limit of 9 GB in Go Roam destinations.

I could get a 3 sim delivered to a friend up north. Is this the best thing to do? And then just get them to top it up with their northern address and card?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭68508224

Hi all using this presently in the US on Android but when other devices (Android tablet and iPhone) are connected to the hotspot the data won't work on any of the devices. Anybody know a fix for this? Thanks in advance for any help.

68508224 wrote: »
    Hi all using this presently in the US on Android but when other devices (Android tablet and iPhone) are connected to the hotspot the data won't work on any of the devices. Anybody know a fix for this? Thanks in advance for any help.

No idea works fine when I did it to an S6 and a one plus from my own S8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

bk wrote: »
    Sigh, no. That site has fantastic info and recommendations. I've used the SIM's recommended by that site all over the world. Most recently in Brazil.

Is there a reason why you go with the local sim vs the three.co.uk sim which you can use on your return around EU if required ? Brazil & 69 other countries covered ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

errlloyd wrote: »
    I have an old Iphone 4 I can use I think. So I get the 12GB and just use it as a hotspot for the whole trip. Seems like a reasonable plan. Just need to stop all the apps on my Galaxy auto updating because they think its Wifi

Tethering not allowed on three.co.uk sim ? At least that's what T&Cs say ?

Back home now and have to say there is a lot more free wifi in US than I anticipated. I think I only used 500mb out of 12gb. Anyone know how I could tell exactly?

There's 11.5 gb left to use until next March (3uk) so happy to post this on to someone if they want it, just send me a pm.

Edit: gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,219 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Back home now and have to say there is a lot more free wifi in US than I anticipated. I think I only used 500mb out of 12gb. Anyone know how I could tell exactly?

There's 11.5 gb left to use until next March (3uk) so happy to post this on to someone if they want it, just send me a pm.

While connected with it go to Three.co.uk and either click on login or register and it will show you what's left on it.

Advertisement