Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone use in States

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

webpal wrote: »
    Back home now and have to say there is a lot more free wifi in US than I anticipated. I think I only used 500mb out of 12gb. Anyone know how I could tell exactly?

There's 11.5 gb left to use until next March (3uk) so happy to post this on to someone if they want it, just send me a pm.
    Thought the allowance was for the first 30 days after you activated?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭webpal

g0g wrote: »
    Thought the allowance was for the first 30 days after you activated?

This one is good for 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭sully123

banchang wrote: »
    Tethering not allowed on three.co.uk sim ? At least that's what T&Cs say ?

Ah,
    I tried to use that to add my sisters phone. I didn't work.
    I guess thats why

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Luke2513

Hi everyone, I'm travelling to California next month and I'm having trouble choosing a sim to purchase. Some of the ones on amazon have really bad reviews saying that the sim needed to be topped up or couldn't be activated. If anyone could recommend a sim with a high or ayce data allowance I'd greatly appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

This one from Mymemory done the job for me. Take note of the APN settings and activate it before you go away.
    https://www.mymemory.co.uk/3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-with-12gb-data.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

Hurrache wrote: »
    This one from Mymemory done the job for me. Take note of the APN settings and activate it before you go away.
    https://www.mymemory.co.uk/3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-with-12gb-data.html

Thanks

- won't APN change automatically ?
    - activation involves turning on & using ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭sioda

Thanks

I've been using these for years just pop them in and away you go. Never had to change the settings as only ever used for data access

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Just got word of a last-minute trip I've to make to LA tomorrow, so haven't had time to source a sim from Amazon / Mymemory etc.

Anyone recommend something I can pick up in the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭dodzy

Thanks

Didn't for me 2 yrs ago. Activate before you go and set up the app so you'll be quickly able to check your usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Just got word of a last-minute trip I've to make to LA tomorrow, so haven't had time to source a sim from Amazon / Mymemory etc.

Anyone recommend something I can pick up in the US?

For $30 T Mobile have this, 2GB and 1000 minutes, valid for 2 weeks from activation was going to get it myself last year but Three sim was delivered in time...

https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/prepaid-international-tourist-plan

Also the likes of Walgreen have SIM cards too, could be worth checking there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Heading to the States in the morning. Have the 3 SIM all set up and working here so hoping it should work ok when I land. Just wondering how to get the 3 app to keep an eye on usage? Even with a VPN set to UK play store says the app is incompatible with my device.

M

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Heading to the States in the morning. Have the 3 SIM all set up and working here so hoping it should work ok when I land. Just wondering how to get the 3 app to keep an eye on usage? Even with a VPN set to UK play store says the app is incompatible with my device.

Best is to go to Three.co.uk while using the SIM from Ireland or USA and then register an account to your email address, it will then give useage while using that SIM it will auto login.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Best is to go to Three.co.uk while using the SIM from Ireland or USA and then register an account to your email address, it will then give useage while using that SIM it will auto login.

Cheers, thanks for that. Have the website set.up now. At least I can keep an eye on it.

M

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Cheers, thanks for that. Have the website set.up now. At least I can keep an eye on it.

Yes I couldn't instal the app, I think you would need to regionalise the phone/your Google account to UK for it to download, I didn't bother when the website did the job.

Thanks

Not always. I've had one occasion in which somehow it managed to drag in incorrect settings so no data, only voice. I had access to WiFi so I could get them from the web so no real issue, but had I been relying on it I'd be stuck.

depending on what phone you have you won't get great speeds on data if US bands aren't covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

With the 3UK 12 month data sim, can I pay extra to enable calls to be made from that number/sim?

Do I do it as an addon on the website?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Anyone happen to have a 3uk sim that they won’t be using again?

Going to a wedding in US next weekend and gonna have to keep an eye on Champions League Final on my phone - won’t have time to order a card myself from 3 website and get it through parcel motel before we fly out.

Will pay postage if someone can help us out?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭webpal

With the 3UK 12 month data sim, can I pay extra to enable calls to be made from that number/sim?

I can't answer your question but you could buy some viber out credit and make calls that way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

I just buy some Skype credit for a fiver and use that for making calls when I’m in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Quick one guys but I'm heading state-side tomorrow and have a ThreeUK sim from before. First one is what do I do to top-up? Tried my Revolut card but it wants the card and address connected and in the UK so that failed.
    Second one is that if I top up by £20, do I get the 12GB Add-on thing automatically or is there something else I need to do?
    Edit: Got top up working by going through mobiletopup.co.uk and redeeming the voucher code. Cost a little extra but no harm. If I'd wanted it cheaper I should have been better prepared :D. Add-on seems to be working as expected. It makes a bit more sense when you start going through the process.
    Internet access wasn't working until I selected the three APN and reboot the phone. Selecting the APN alone didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

Guys, can anyone advise where to get the 3UK 12G Sim?? Looking like its £27 on MyMemory but this one on Anazon is just under £20 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075CP4L3X/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_oGxOCbPEQ6X29 ... are they the same thing?? Tia

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Batesout

Only wrote: »
    Guys, can anyone advise where to get the 3UK 12G Sim?? Looking like its £27 on MyMemory but this one on Anazon is just under £20 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075CP4L3X/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_oGxOCbPEQ6X29 ... are they the same thing?? Tia

It's €31 ,you'll have it in 3/4 days it's the quickest,ordered 1today.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Batesout

Batesout wrote: »
    It's €31 ,you'll have it in 3/4 days it's the quickest,ordered 1today.
    My memory.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Can you use your Revolut and google pay accounts in the States with the 3uk cards, being a different phone number?

They're not linked to your phone number so yeah, definitely with Revolut anyway, didn't need to try Google Pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

Batesout wrote: »
    My memory.ie

Thanks for your reply - probably a stupid question but is the Amazon.co.uk one different than the Mymemory one?? ... I cant figure out the difference.
    I'm in no hurry with it btw - dont go for another few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭clickhere

Hi, I used one of these cards the last time I went to Cancun Mexico and found it great. I was going to get another as I'm going again, but Mexico is no longer on the list for roaming. Any idea where I might pick up one for Cancún Mexico. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 landlord

I bought one of theses sims from my memory.ie, Pay as you go Internet with legs 12 GB Sim for the USA. I tested it in Ireland and it worked in my old I phone as a personal hotspot. I am now in the USA and it does not work as a personal hotspot. I went onto the 3UK app “live chat” and they said personal hotspot will only work in the EU. They said I could connect it to an unlocked dongle or travel hotspot device to use as a personal hotspot. Other people on here seemed to be suggesting that you could use it as a personal hotspot in a mobile phone device in the USA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭testtech05

I couldn't get it to work as a hotspot for me in the states 2 weeks ago.
    But worked fine besides.

Advertisement