Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone use in States

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MB05

Garfin wrote: »
    Looking for help with a 3 UK sim my son has brought with him to L.A. he can get internet coverage but can't make calls or texts.
    He has contacted 3 and they are telling him he can only call UK numbers??? Anyone got any ideas all the posts on here suggest there is no problem using the sim as you would here at home (Ireland). He called me on it before he left and it made calls and texts no problem.
    Any suggestions what the issue is?

It's a 3 UK Sim so the feel like home element is calls and texts back to the UK or to other UK numbers. It's not US to Ire etc. It's US to UK, Ire to UK etc. He could use it here because for the moment the UK is part of the EU and they brought in legislation that says we can use our mobile packages within the EU in the same way we use them in our home country (roughly speaking) but that's only applicable when in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Garfin

wiz569 wrote: »
    Afaik it's data only so tell him to use WhatsApp or messenger for calls or texts.
    Thanks yes that's what he's using

MB05 wrote: »
    It's a 3 UK Sim so the feel like home element is calls and texts back to the UK or to other UK numbers. It's not US to Ire etc. It's US to UK, Ire to UK etc. He could use it here because for the moment the UK is part of the EU and they brought in legislation that says we can use our mobile packages within the EU in the same way we use them in our home country (roughly speaking) but that's only applicable when in the EU.
    Thanks yes I can see that now.

Has he called you from the US on that phone before? Could be incompatible with the bands used over there.
    No he used it in Ireland to call Irish numbers but as someone else pointed out that comes under the EU roaming regs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Justin10

I had a 3 sim last year which I'd got when I was in the UK and worked great in America.

My understanding is that because I haven't used that sim I'll have to either reactivate it in the UK or buy a new one.

Handier to buy one off amazon, these aims that come preloaded, can I activate them in Ireland and then use them in America perfectly fine or are they already activated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Rochey18 wrote: »
    I had a 3 sim last year which I'd got when I was in the UK and worked great in America.

My understanding is that because I haven't used that sim I'll have to either reactivate it in the UK or buy a new one.

Handier to buy one off amazon, these aims that come preloaded, can I activate them in Ireland and then use them in America perfectly fine or are they already activated?

once activated, turned on, it will work for 12 months or after using 12 Gb if its the same as mine. You can use it now if you want. Ive one in my 2nd slot ready for my trip to US

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I bought my from mymemory(awaiting delivery). One on the link from Amazon is cheaper, sorry I didn't buy it there.

Last year I had a 12GB 12 Month Data only sim. Used about 3gb and sold it to a boardsie when I got back. I won't be inserting the Sim into the phone until the day I depart as the one I just bought is a 30 day version.

When I had last years version I activated here in Ireland and it worked fine, went through the UK and onwards to the USA. Other than the fact my Oneplus(at the time) didn't have all the US bands it was a nuisance but on an S8 now with better US bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Whats happening

Question from someone without a dual sim phone.. 1) If you place a new SIM card in does your whatsapp continue to work without issue.. 2) with the three UK Sim can you put sim in a different phone and use it as a hotspot while in USA, or anyway around it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Question from someone without a dual sim phone.. 1) If you place a new SIM card in does your whatsapp continue to work without issue.. 2) with the three UK Sim can you put sim in a different phone and use it as a hotspot while in USA, or anyway around it?

Yes regarding Whatsapp, it will work as normal once it's connected to any internet source.

Not sure about using the Three sim as a hot spot.

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Not sure about using the Three sim as a hot spot.

I used it as a Hotspot when my wife needed it on my Dual Sim phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Berty wrote: »
    I used it as a Hotspot when my wife needed it on my Dual Sim phone.

Me too.

I did find it hard to get 4g in and around NYC tho, at best 3g.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

So correct me if I am wrong please somebody, going to the States for 2 weeks, don't care about calls or texts, just want data to use Whatsapp etc, is my best bet to buy a Three UK sim and pop it in my unlocked Samsung S7? Sorry this is all new to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

mutley18 wrote: »
    So correct me if I am wrong please somebody, going to the States for 2 weeks, don't care about calls or texts, just want data to use Whatsapp etc, is my best bet to buy a Three UK sim and pop it in my unlocked Samsung S7? Sorry this is all new to me :)

This may work, but it may not. Whatsapp is attached to one number and sends a verification text to that number to activate the app. I think if it detects a new sim it'll send a new verification text. I think you're actually better off getting a cheap old phone, putting the three sim in that, and using it as a hot spot.

mutley18 wrote: »

Yes, exactly. You probably will have to add the Three UK APN before it works. At least that's what I had to do. http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.DLL/,/?New,Kb=Mobile,Ts=Mobile,T=Device,varset_pid=5808,Case=EXT(EM79771)

errlloyd wrote: »
    This may work, but it may not. Whatsapp is attached to one number and sends a verification text to that number to activate the app. I think if it detects a new sim it'll send a new verification text. I think you're actually better off getting a cheap old phone, putting the three sim in that, and using it as a hot spot.

It doesn't do this when a new sim is put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Going to be heading to the states for a short holiday soon (5 days). Don't expect to be using the phone a huge amount but always handy to have. Is the Three UK SIM the standard advice or should I just eat the roaming costs if/when I need to? With Eir if that makes a difference. I don't imagine we'll need to ring people too often but we might need to make calls to AirBnB host, etc. Is there a VOIP option I could use easily and just go with data?

You get 3000 Texts and 3000 mins along with 12GB of data if you buy that one so I'd be using the UK phone number to make calls to the Air BNB person. I'm heading next week and plan to use my new UK number(30 day sim) for all outgoing calls when over there. For me with Eir it costs money to both answer the phone and make calls so I'll be not even answering if it rings but ringing people back using my Three UK Sim.

If you're there for 5 days I'd be getting the 5GB version of the sim with the cheaper price instead of the 12GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭Duff

Yes, if you use Parcel Wizard or similar, doesn't post here.

How long are you going for? Would 3GB do you? (No Mins/Texts)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Mobile-Pay-Broadband-Data/dp/B006H7BKXG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1538064434&sr=8-1&keywords=three+sim+card+3gb

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

I'd be interested to hear if anyone had experience of using the WorldSim (www.worldsim.com) international SIM card in the States.

• Advertisement

Yes, if you use Parcel Wizard or similar, doesn't post here.

How long are you going for? Would 3GB do you? (No Mins/Texts)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Mobile-Pay-Broadband-Data/dp/B006H7BKXG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1538064434&sr=8-1&keywords=three+sim+card+3gb

Going to get it posted to in-laws in Belfast so should get there during the week I'd imagine?

Going for 15 days so not sure if 3GB would be enough as I'll be using it for GPS driving around LA and to Vegas. Thanks.

Duff wrote: »
    Going to get it posted to in-laws in Belfast so should get there during the week I'd imagine?

Going for 15 days so not sure if 3GB would be enough as I'll be using it for GPS driving around LA and to Vegas. Thanks.

Yes a good idea alright albeit don't rely on a good signal when driving out of major areas. A few weeks back I lost signal for about 30 miles south of San Francisco so would have been better downloading an "Offline Map" which you should do over Wifi.

I had 3 cars in the USA as well and each of them had Android Auto/Apple Car Play which was very handy. You might be lucky so bring your USB with you as well.

Yes a good idea alright albeit don't rely on a good signal when driving out of major areas. A few weeks back I lost signal for about 30 miles south of San Francisco so would have been better downloading an "Offline Map" which you should do over Wifi.

I had 3 cars in the USA as well and each of them had Android Auto/Apple Car Play which was very handy. You might be lucky so bring your USB with you as well.

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely download them offline just in case! If I got a car with Android auto it'd be fantastic. I'm actually seeing about renting a car on Monday, who did you rent with if you don't mind me asking?

Duff wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely download them offline just in case! If I got a car with Android auto it'd be fantastic. I'm actually seeing about renting a car on Monday, who did you rent with if you don't mind me asking?

I rent with avis.ie direct so avoiding way drop off fees as well. Use code E888805 when booking. *not responsible for code being rejected when collecting car, code meant for their top tier members. (I'm not one) but never been stopped on the past 6 rentals in different countries, including the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

Metro PCS is 50 dollars for unlimited everything I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Batesout

I bought a Sat Nav on Amazon when I was in the USA, but had none driving from Los Angeles to San Diego . I downloaded Navmii on play store ,downloaded the California map and it worked perfectly.

The sim card I ordered still isn't here from UK to a UK address that was dispatched Monday morning :rolleyes: Anyway, I actually found the sim I used last year with same deal on it. However, that was 13 months ago and it hasn't been used since. Can I just top up again to get the deal again or is it useless as it hasn't been used in so long?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Just for reference i wanted to check balance on 12gb 3 sim.
    Been to US twice and going again in March so wasnt sure what my balance was.
    Got onto three.co.uk chat with and they just ask for last 6 digits in sim itself to check.
    Cant believe i still have 9gb left...brilliant deal

I got a 5gb 30 day with 3000 mins and texts delivered yesterday from my memory. Was €13.51 delivered. 6 days in New York coming up. Bargain, compared to Eir who want 14.99 for 200mb alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Can you tell us the link as to which you bought?

Advertisement