Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone use in States

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

One good plus with the Three Data sim when abroad is the IP address it gets assigned is a UK one so you can use the likes of BBC iPlayer with them.

They throttle the connection to death , Even streaming a Radio Station via TuneIn does not work properly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭dodzy

pissed wrote: »
    Would those calls and texts work for calls back to Ireland or would they just be for calls to the UK?
    UK only
    TimHorton wrote: »
    They throttle the connection to death , Even streaming a Radio Station via TuneIn does not work properly
    Absolutely agree; having used the SIM in both US and OZ, speeds are terrible, but better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭sioda

dodzy wrote: »
    UK only

Absolutely agree; having used the SIM in both US and OZ, speeds are terrible, but better than nothing.

I've used it for tune in and have streamed a match with it worked perfect. A lot comes down to the bands your phone supports

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mac_daddy

mac_daddy wrote: »
    Cheaper than Argos and looks like they ship free to Ireland:

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-with-12gb-data.html

Received my sim with free delivery this morning, all for €36.24. Very happy with that. 12GB for 12 months in 70 countries. As opposed to Eir's mobile data add-on offering of 200MB for 30 days at €19.99!! :eek:

UK only

did you do a speed test - like 2/3 mbps?

is it good enough to use for whatsapp calls?

how do you find out your remaining balance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

mac_daddy wrote: »
    Received my sim with free delivery this morning, all for €36.24. Very happy with that. 12GB for 12 months in 70 countries. As opposed to Eir's mobile data add-on offering of 200MB for 30 days at €19.99!! :eek:
    Could this be used in a car in Ireland for Audi mobile connect ?
    If so it seems a great deal

BrendanD wrote: »
    Could this be used in a car in Ireland for Audi mobile connect ?
    If so it seems a great deal

can't see any reason why it couldn't be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Thanks all for the tips on this thread. In States next month and just took delivery of a Three SIM linked above. Question: should I stick it in phone before leaving EU to test it or is it safe to activate it for the first time after I arrive in USA? Don't want to get there and find out I needed to turn it on before leaving Ireland. Re activation, just put in phone and ready to go? Or need to register anything online or via text? Thanks!

apparently should activate/use it on a three network before abroad

g0g wrote: »
    Thanks all for the tips on this thread. In States next month and just took delivery of a Three SIM linked above. Question: should I stick it in phone before leaving EU to test it or is it safe to activate it for the first time after I arrive in USA? Don't want to get there and find out I needed to turn it on before leaving Ireland. Re activation, just put in phone and ready to go? Or need to register anything online or via text? Thanks!

1. First thing you do is register the sim on three Uk.
    2. Insert the sim and test
    3. Download the 3 UK app and login ( it’ll remember your login data as far as I recall - this very handy for checking your data usage - doesn’t update in real-time but probably next day - useful feature )
    4, when state side, I did have to manually change the APN to three.co.uk (as far as I remember, but I did need to change it - iphone )
    5. Give your three Uk sim number to friends and family so they can call you if they need to. This may obviously incur charges for them, but not you. Same with texts, again this is one way; you can’t call or text them unless they have a Uk number. Obviously your Uk number will be 0xxxxxx. Just substitute the zero with 0044.
    That’s pretty much all there is to it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

1. First thing you do is register the sim on three Uk.
    2. Insert the sim and test
    3. Download the 3 UK app and login ( it’ll remember your login data as far as I recall - this very handy for checking your data usage - doesn’t update in real-time but probably next day - useful feature )
    4, when state side, I did have to manually change the APN to three.co.uk (as far as I remember, but I did need to change it - iphone )
    5. Give your three Uk sim number to friends and family so they can call you if they need to. This may obviously incur charges for them, but not you. Same with texts, again this is one way; you can’t call or text them unless they have a Uk number. Obviously your Uk number will be 0xxxxxx. Just substitute the zero with 00441.
    That’s pretty much all there is to it :)

0044 and drop the zero. Theres no 1 involved. But callers to you from uk (in US) dont need to do that unless theyre in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

After the 12 months, Is it possible to top it up for another 12 months or how does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,221 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

j4vier wrote: »
    After the 12 months, Is it possible to top it up for another 12 months or how does it work?

I don't think it accepts a non UK card if you try to topup online at three.co.uk. No point really though as it's far more expensive than to just go and buy a new card.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭68508224

I'm thinking of getting one of these for a trip to mainland US at Easter and then also Canada and Hawaii at a later date. Anybody know if this works in Canada? And Hawaii?

Also, if I get one for myself and one for herself, can we use the included UK minutes to call each other when we are both over there? Thanks for the help ðŸ‘

Doesn't work in Canada

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Thanks all for the tips on this thread. In States next month and just took delivery of a Three SIM linked above

How long were you waiting for delivery? That's the thing with ordering form MyMemory, it's always a lottery as to when it gets delivered, some are within a few days, others seem to take longer than it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

pissed wrote: »
    Would those calls and texts work for calls back to Ireland or would they just be for calls to the UK?

They'd be for calls to UK numbers only

One quick way around it is if you get a UK sim card (Primark have them for a few cent) and give it to whoever you might be calling in Ireland, they would have free roaming in Ireland to take the call

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Hurrache wrote: »
    How long were you waiting for delivery? That's the thing with ordering form MyMemory, it's always a lottery as to when it gets delivered, some are within a few days, others seem to take longer than it should.
    Longer than I expected TBH. Think it might've been two weeks. Not traveling til March so will activate in a few weeks

Balls, I gave myself 2 weeks to get it myself, it was despatched a week ago so I assumed I'd have it around now.

68508224 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting one of these for a trip to mainland US at Easter and then also Canada and Hawaii at a later date. Anybody know if this works in Canada? And Hawaii?

Also, if I get one for myself and one for herself, can we use the included UK minutes to call each other when we are both over there? Thanks for the help

Not sure which of the sims exactly you are referring to but the sim which has 12GB (data only valid for 12 months) definitely works in Hawaii, I'd assume any three UK one would also because one of them did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭webpal

With the 3 sim, can you put it into a spare phone and use it as a hotspot for other phones to tether off?

Seems this has already been asked with different answers. One response says it definitely works from experience, anyone experience it not working?

Longer than I expected TBH. Think it might've been two weeks. Not traveling til March so will activate in a few weeks

Mine arrived today so in the end it was just over a week.

Setup is easy enough, the APN settings get automatically downloaded to your phone. However I do have a dual SIM phone so it's not an issue in me having to change mine back to my Irish provider. If you don't have dual SIM it might be worth your while taking note or screenshots of the APN settings before you go away in case you don't have WiFi access when abroad in order to look them up.

One thing that someone mentioned above which I'm unable to do is download the 3 app as I get the message that it's not available in this country when on WiFi, I don't want to use mobile data to do so.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Mine arrived today so in the end it was just over a week.

Setup is easy enough, the APN settings get automatically downloaded to your phone. However I do have a dual SIM phone so it's not an issue in me having to change mine back to my Irish provider. If you don't have dual SIM it might be worth your while taking note or screenshots of the APN settings before you go away in case you don't have WiFi access when abroad in order to look them up.

One thing that someone mentioned above which I'm unable to do is download the 3 app as I get the message that it's not available in this country when on WiFi, I don't want to use mobile data to do so.

Apologies, I did not mean an actual APP so just log onto three.co.uk, register, then login using your UK phone number and your password, navigate to the DATA ALLOWANCE page and save that as a shortcut to your homescreen, and you're sorted :)

Cheers. Yeah, I checked on the website and have that sorted.

Bought a 3uk 12 month card from mymemory. Have put it in to an unlocked phone and switched on mobile hotspot. Have 2 connected devices successfully but cannot get internet working on either of them. Do I need to activate something?

webpal wrote: »
    Bought a 3uk 12 month card from mymemory. Have put it in to an unlocked phone and switched on mobile hotspot. Have 2 connected devices successfully but cannot get internet working on either of them. Do I need to activate something?

Monday mornings, had data on but not roaming, sorted now

4, when state side, I did have to manually change the APN to three.co.uk (as far as I remember, but I did need to change it

When I got to the states I too had to manually change the APN, despite the existing 3 UK APN previously working in Ireland. I'm not sure how or what happened but the MMSC settings in the APN that was sent from 3 when I inserted the SIM got changed so I had to manually recreate it. Might be an issue specific my phone or could be a broader general one.

webpal wrote: »
    Monday mornings, had data on but not roaming, sorted now

Use one of these every few months and have done that on 2 seperate occasions so your not alone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

Hi if i buy a payas you go sim in usa ( get a friend to post it to me) should i
    a) put into old phone here and set up or wait until i get to airport in usa
    also
    will it lock my old apple iphone 6 to that network like it does here? if it does how do i unlock again here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭sully123

Berty wrote: »
    There's one with 12GB Data Only, then the others have 1,3,5GB and upwards that come with calls and texts.

12GB lasts 12 months from the date you activate it(put into the phone)
    The others are basically pay as you go cards pre loaded where the data/calls/texts you buy only last 30 days.

My upcoming trip is 6 days so I went with 5GB as I'll also have Wifi in the hotel and my wife can tether off my data when needed out and about. Tested already with my S8 so definitely works for me.

No calls and Texts can be used in the USA. I know as I've used it to call home on the last trip.

Hey Berty,

Did the sim work out ok?
    Most posts here refer to the 12gb option from Mymemory.ie
    You seem to be the only one who has tried the cheaper 5gb option.

Advertisement