Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

All of my patients have been cancelled to suit nurses striking even though I am here and available to work. There is no nursing involvement in my job yet now I am not allowed do it because they aren't here, what a load of bull. Why wouldn't I be irked by my waiting lists growing and yes, believe it or not, my patients suffering through no fault of my own? Even more ridiculous is that we were given a directive from local management that we weren't allowed see patients that did show up for their appointment because it was a HSE wide cancellation.

I see… well that’s tough. Tough for you and tough for your patients.

But what you are experiencing now is what surgeons and patients have been experiencing for years. It’s nothing new. Long waiting lists are there despite of the strike. Not because of it. Long waiting lists and cancelled surgeries are there not because of the strike but despite of it.

I’ve had numerous surgeries canceled because there were not enough beds in the day wards. Not because there are no bed. There are not enough nurses to look after the patients. Was that because of the strike?

Nurses have been asking for years for pay restoration and increased recruitment.
    For years the government was happy to pay extra for agency nurses but they didn’t want to know when they when nurses raised there concerns that any new recruits are leaving the country for more lucrative pay Well now they better listen or it’s really going to get bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

STB. wrote: »

But Jim, the basic pay scale there tells you what nurses are getting in basic pay for say the first few years after qualifying up to 14 years. I accept that some will be promoted. Do you think you'd be able to afford a mortgage on it ? Would I do it ? Not a hope.

Plenty people pay mortgages on less. I think it would be interesting to see how nurses would feel about having their basic pay increased but removing all the allowances and perks associated with nursing that no other ahp gets. The unsociable hours are part of their contract, I wouldn’t expect the government to pay through the nose for them to be carried out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭facehugger99

eagle eye wrote: »
    Nursing for most is a vocation, they don't like being out in strike. They want to care for their patients.
    You say it's only about pay.
    I say it's about all that they've said it's about. It's about having more staff, it's about having proper care for patients.
    Yes it's about money too and they deserve it. Their productivity level is extremely high and they should be rewarded for it.

200 billion in debt and rising.

There's no magic money trees.

They're already well paid by every conceivable metric.

mad muffin wrote: »

Nurses have been asking for years for pay restoration and increased recruitment.

Why? Have they not been following the news or something?

The country was borrowing 10's of billions every year pay for existing salary levels in the PS.

Nurses need to get out of the echo-chamber bubbles of their staff canteens, where they sit around telling each other how bad they have it, and take a little trip into the world of reality.

Why? Have they not been following the news or something?

The country was borrowing 10's of billions every year pay for existing salary levels in the PS.

Nurses need to get out of the echo-chamber bubbles of their staff canteens, where they sit around telling each other how bad they have it, and take a little trip into the world of reality.

Why? Because their pay was cut over night and a ban on requirements 10 years ago.

Don’t blame the nurses for your shït health care. They do the best they can with what they have. But they’ve had enough. And so should you.

For some like me who has the misfortune of having to use the health care system more than most. I’m with them. If the government didn’t stuff it up so spectacularly. And thanks to FF for selling Ireland to the bankers. We wouldn’t be in the dire straits we are today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

FG will be hammered in the next polls and election.

Thought they would have caved in now to remain popular.

political suicide this is.

Seanachai wrote: »
    Being single and living on 30 - 35k, you're kind of screwed, especially in Dublin. The way I see things, we should all be striking, it's just that we're not brave or organised enough to stand up to the state. .............

So what should single people get instead of €30/35k?
    Is it only people on that should strike?
    If they're all bumped up by €5k will the folk on €40k want more too?
    then the folk on €45k?
    where does it stop? Who pays for it? Where does the money come from?

Seanachai wrote: »

As I said previously though, FG keep enough people comfortable enough to avoid this. I see these people as being selfish and weak, if Brexit hits us in a severe way though, they may be forced into finding a backbone.

What are you doing at the moment apart from calling quite likely successful people selfish & week?

Why? Because their pay was cut over night and a ban on requirements 10 years ago.

Did 300,000 of them lose their jobs?

Did anyone in the PS?

Did 300,000 of them lose their jobs?

Did anyone in the PS?

Why would they lose their jobs. There’s not enough of them as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Don’t blame the nurses for your shït health care. They do the best they can with what they have. But they’ve had enough. And so should you.

For some like me who has the misfortune of having to use the health care system more than most. I’m with them. If the government didn’t stuff it up so spectacularly. And thanks to FF for selling Ireland to the bankers. We wouldn’t be in the dire straits we are today.

The nurses want €300M/annum
    The GP's want €200M/annum

Who do you think should get the money?

And say what you want about FF and bankers or whatever, the healthcare budget is €17B this year. It was €8B in 2002 and €12.2B just 4 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Why is it that people in the private sector always go on about how great the public sector have it but they never go into the public sector??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I see… well that’s tough. Tough for you and tough for your patients.

But what you are experiencing now is what surgeons and patients have been experiencing for years. It’s nothing new. Long waiting lists are there despite of the strike. Not because of it. Long waiting lists and cancelled surgeries are there not because of the strike but despite of it.

I’ve had numerous surgeries canceled because there were not enough beds in the day wards. Not because there are no bed. There are not enough nurses to look after the patients. Was that because of the strike?

For years the government was happy to pay extra for agency nurses but they didn’t want to know when they when nurses raised there concerns that any new recruits are leaving the country for more lucrative pay Well now they better listen or it’s really going to get bad.

I am sorry to hear of your cancellations, there is a lot that needs to be fixed in this broken system. No, those surgery cancellations were not because of the strike but there is a world of difference between cancelling patients because the necessary nurses are not available to care for them and cancelling patients because of nurses not being present elsewhere in the hospital who would have no involvement with them to start with. The latter is willfull cancellation, effectively dragging the rest of us in their strike action, the former is not.

Why is it that people in the private sector always go on about how great the public sector have it but they never go into the public sector??

Why is it that people in the public sector always go on about how great the private sector have it but they never go into the private sector??
    Becasue they go on strike Ted or threaten to, benchmarking etc etc.
    Of course no fncktard doing basic CO work wants to be benchmarked at €10/hour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

The nurses want €300M/annum
    The GP's want €200M/annum

Who do you think should get the money?

WATER CHARGES

There. Iv said it. :D

Augeo wrote: »
    Why is it that people in the public sector always go on about how great the private sector have it but they never go into the private sector??
    Becasue they go on strike Ted or threaten to, benchmarking etc etc.
    Of course no fncktard doing basic CO work wants to be benchmarked at €10/hour :)

That's not answering my question, that's childish whattaboutery.

Tell me why you personally don't go into the ps?

Because there is more to a job than just job security, pay and pension.

They point out those relevant facts in a conversation about reimbursement but many people would rather not work in a poorly functioning organisation just for these reasons.

They are still allowed to express an opinion of course.

Would you say working conditions would be one of those things that matter perhaps....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Why would they lose their jobs. There’s not enough of them as it is.

Maybe it's time to try out something new then - HSE2.0 :p

Pick one ordinary ward, and clear it of staff (ALL of them )

Put in a few doctors and enough (upskilled)Healthcare Assistants
    (upskilled)Healthcare Assistants = they can do temps,blood pressure,phlebotomy etc

- they get a certificate/ticket for each skill they learn to do

When the consultants come around in the morning, they'd be talking to the two doctors that were there half the night

That's not answering my question, that's childish whattaboutery.

Tell me why you personally don't go into the ps?

I knew I didn't want to be a guard or a nurse and I didn't fancy doing sh1tty CO type work.
    I don't know anyone who wanted to go into the PS tbh .......... college or trade was the done thing back when I was in secondary school.
    I didn't do a sh1tty 3rd level course where half the class becomes COs either :)
    I always was fond of earning a few quid so thought 3rd level and then industry was for me, my plan has worked out great :)

I am sorry to hear of your cancellations, there is a lot that needs to be fixed in this broken system. No, those surgery cancellations were not because of the strike but there is a world of difference between cancelling patients because the necessary nurses are not available to care for them and cancelling patients because of nurses not being present elsewhere in the hospital who would have no involvement with them to start with. The latter is willfull cancellation, effectively dragging the rest of us in their strike action, the former is not.

There comes a time when you have to draw a line in the sand and say enough is enough. If they the government won’t listen to reason then maybe a strike will prick up their ears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

FG will be hammered in the next polls and election.

Thought they would have caved in now to remain popular.

political suicide this is.
    They will not cave in. The nurses will cave. Can't strike forever. They can't afford to. Government are saving a fortune on not paying 30k+ nurses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

physioman wrote: »
    They will not cave in. The nurses will cave. Can't strike forever. They can't afford to. Government are saving a fortune on not paying 30k+ nurses.

Is pay actually being deducted though?

Is pay actually being deducted though?

HSE don't pay them when on strike.
    You get paid from the union.

I saw some student nurses interviewed on the news on Tuesday night, an ungrateful shower of foookers. Off to Oz or London once qualified.

Augeo wrote: »

I saw some student nurses interviewed on the news on Tuesday night, an ungrateful shower of foookers. Off to Oz or London once qualified.

I don't begrudge nurses heading off for a year in Australia - God knows I bedded enough of them in my years over there - what I do have a problem with is a slut-run in Oz being used as a quasi-justification to extract more money from the hard-pressed private sector in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,292 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I don't begrudge nurses heading off for a year in Australia - God knows I bedded enough of them in my years over there - what I do have a problem with is a slut-run in Oz being used as a quasi-justification to extract more money from the hard-pressed private sector in Ireland.
    What the hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Your opinion deserves to be ignored if you choose to identify any group of people in this way.

The ones on the news weren't great IMO.

You’re a dirty little carpet beetle…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Moderator required.

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    What the hell!
    Your opinion deserves to be ignored if you choose to identify any group of people in this way.
    You’re a dirty little carpet beetle…
    Moderator required.

Snowflake Alert!

Advertisement