Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

Options

Comments

Moderator required.

It's after hours ffs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Snowflake Alert!

You’re calling moi a snowflake?!

HAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA HAHAAHA HAAAAAAAAAA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I don't begrudge nurses heading off for a year in Australia - God knows I bedded enough of them in my years over there - what I do have a problem with is a slut-run in Oz being used as a quasi-justification to extract more money from the hard-pressed private sector in Ireland.

And what would that make you ? A legend I suppose. Double standards.

And I bet you were all offended about the Gilette ad when you've just shown you're exactly the point of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭facehugger99

mad muffin wrote: »
    You’re calling moi a snowflake?!

HAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA HAHAAHA HAAAAAAAAAA

u ok hun?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

u ok hun?

Don’t be a dipshït…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Augeo wrote: »
    I knew I didn't want to be a guard or a nurse and I didn't fancy doing sh1tty CO type work.
    I don't know anyone who wanted to go into the PS tbh .......... college or trade was the done thing back when I was in secondary school.
    I didn't do a sh1tty 3rd level course where half the class becomes COs either :)
    I always was fond of earning a few quid so thought 3rd level and then industry was for me, my plan has worked out great :)
    But according to ah all public sector have it too easy and earn too much money compared to the struggle of being ps?? Am confused

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭acequion

HSE don't pay them when on strike.
    You get paid from the union.

I saw some student nurses interviewed on the news on Tuesday night, an ungrateful shower of foookers. Off to Oz or London once qualified.

"Ungrateful" :eek::eek: What communist utopia are you living in? Do you seriously expect young people to go,"Oh I must be grateful and stay in the country which trained me.I must not mind bad conditions". Maybe list out the ten commandments while they're at it! :rolleyes:

Get real! Young people will go where the money and conditions are and why wouldn't they! We bring them up and educate them to strive for the best,not to grovel in gratitude for the crumbs their country will offer them.

And likewise established nurses. Some posters here think public servants must carry the can for all that's wrong in this country, for all political mismanagements and crazy political decisions. They fact is that nurses, teachers and all public servants are just ordinary workers and human beings. And there's only so much crap a human being will take regardless how the high and mighty will pontificate. And if those high and mighty posters like yourself were working in the public service, you'd feel and do exactly the same.

But according to ah all public sector have it too easy and earn too much money compared to the struggle of being ps?? Am confused

AH isn't really reflective of much though is it?
    That accepted, I said in this topic before, I can see the nurses point when dipsh1ts doing basic CO work get more or the same as them. It's lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Seanachai

What are you doing at the moment apart from calling quite likely successful people selfish & week?

Working and dealing with chronic illness in a horror-show health service, success isn't necessarily a sign of strength, it's often a sign of ruthlessness, connections and clever choices though. Propping up a group of jobsworths that work out fine for you, but not for a large section of the nation is selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

It's after hours ffs :)

I laughed.:pac:

• Advertisement

Seanachai wrote: »
    .............Propping up a group of jobsworths that work out fine for you, but not for a large section of the nation is selfish.

I'm self employed.
    Who am I propping up?
    Sorry to hear of your illness but you are talking through your hoop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I keep hearing on news reports from nursing union representatives that they are still getting great public support.
    That is simply not the case.

You can say it all you want, but when you initially say that you are striking for patient safety, and then walking off the job and actually putting patients' safety at risk, not to mention the major inconveniences that nurses are forcing on already vulnerable human beings and their families due to cancellations/rescheduling/stress etc., then we clearly see that it is not about patient safety.
    The mask slipped (excuse the pun) when striking nurses outside the new children's hospital were complaining on television of the cost-overruns of the hospital and asked why that money should not be given to nurses instead.

I can assure the striking nurses that the majority of the public out there are not very happy with your strike-for-more-money actions.

I'm self employed.
    Who am I propping up?
    Sorry to hear of your illness but you are talking through your hoop.

Do you support FG and their policies in general? If you do then you're propping them up...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Kivaro wrote: »

I can assure the striking nurses that the majority of the public out there are not very happy with your strike-for-more-money actions.

I suppose they have to pay for the holiday home in Bulgaria somehow

I keep hearing on news reports from nursing union representatives that they are still getting great public support.

You can say it all you want, but when you initially say that you are striking for patient safety, and then walking off the job and actually putting patients' safety at risk, not to mention the major inconveniences that nurses are forcing on already vulnerable human beings and their families due to cancellations/rescheduling/stress etc., then we clearly see that it is not about patient safety.
    The mask slipped (excuse the pun) when striking nurses outside the new children's hospital were complaining on television of the cost-overruns of the hospital and asked why that money should not be given to nurses instead.

I think there's a degree of tolerability in relation to pay relative to the nature of the work you're doing. Given the stresses of their role, I don't think wanting above average pay is unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

And who are you to “ assure “ anyone. Have you come to your conclusion by peering out your box room window ? I walked past the mater today and 80% of cars driving by were honking their horns in support .. what I get from that is that they have plenty support but I wouldn’t dare come on here saying they have no support ! Only an idiot would do that imo

Do you support FG and their policies in general? If you do then you're propping them up...

So if I voted SF I'd be a great lad?
    You're off your foooking tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

HSE don't pay them when on strike.
    You get paid from the union.

I saw some student nurses interviewed on the news on Tuesday night, an ungrateful shower of foookers. Off to Oz or London once qualified.

The money from the union is harmless enough. I’ve heard the figure of €20/day, but not sure of the accuracy. I’ve also heard a couple of nurses worrying how they’ll pay their mortgages in a couple of weeks when this and next weeks pay (or lack of it) hits their bank account

• Registered Users Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Mrsmum wrote: »
    And what would that make you ? A legend I suppose. Double standards.

And I bet you were all offended about the Gilette ad when you've just shown you're exactly the point of it.

I assure you MrsMum, I was a total slapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

hawkelady wrote: »
    And who are you to “ assure “ anyone. Have you come to your conclusion by peering out your box room window ? I walked past the mater today and 80% of cars driving by were honking their horns in support .. what I get from that is that they have plenty support but I wouldn’t dare come on here saying they have no support ! Only an idiot would do that imo

They don't have no support but they don't have as much support as they did during the last times they took industrial action. Normally the nurses spin their campaign with some spurious patient safety concern, but this is clearly all about the money.

And many people are finally seeing through it.

• Advertisement

jlm29 wrote: »
    The money from the union is harmless enough. I’ve heard the figure of €20/day, but not sure of the accuracy. I’ve also heard a couple of nurses worrying how they’ll pay their mortgages in a couple of weeks when this and next weeks pay (or lack of it) hits their bank account

Indeed it is.
    They simply can't afford to keep striking at this rate.
    The government are well aware of that, once next week is over the nurses are a busted flush......... their union got more than a tad carried away with their threats of industrial action. And next week's planned action is excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I hope when all this is sorted,that the nurses go back and work really hard to the best of their ability and make every minute of every working day matter... 14hrs waiting in outpatients department of the Lourdes in Drogheda (last August)was not good enough for my nephew,and it seems just because he wasn't in total agony or dying!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I think there's a degree of tolerability in relation to pay relative to the nature of the work you're doing. Given the stresses of their role, I don't think wanting above average pay is unreasonable.

I'd say they're already getting that.

So if I voted SF I'd be a great lad?
    You're off your foooking tree.

You're jumping to conclusions, same as success=strength. I have zero time for SF, most of my family are self-employed and they're not happy with FG in the economic or social sense.

You're making out as if I'm an island of one here lol, you must know the contempt that a lot of your fellow citizens have for the strata of Irish society that FG enrich. Maybe you don't care, which is fair enough. There's nothing wrong with my mental health, I'm as lucid as the dawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

They don't have no support but they don't have as much support as they did during the last times they took industrial action. Normally the nurses spin their campaign with some spurious patient safety concern, but this is clearly all about the money.

And many people are finally seeing through it.

Correct me if I’m wrong but this is just the second time nurses went on strike in the history of the state ! So not sure where you’re going with the “ last times”

You're jumping to conclusions, same as success=strength. I have zero time for SF, most of my family are self-employed and they're not happy with FG in the economic or social sense.

You're making out as if I'm an island of one here lol, you must know the contempt that a lot of your fellow citizens have for the strata of Irish society that FG enrich. Maybe you don't care, which is fair enough. There's nothing wrong with my mental health, I'm as lucid as the dawn.

A lot of citizens always have contempt for the government, that's why there are regular elections and different governments etc etc from time to time.

hawkelady wrote: »
    Correct me if I’m wrong but this is just the second time nurses went on strike in the history of the state ! So not sure where you’re going with the “ last times”

I didn't say strike. Go slows, overtime bans and not answering phones have been disruptive tactics nurses have used in the past as well as strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,362 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I hope when all this is sorted,that the nurses go back and work really hard to the best of their ability and make every minute of every working day matter... 14hrs waiting in outpatients department of the Lourdes in Drogheda (last August)was not good enough for my nephew,and it seems just because he wasn't in total agony or dying!?

Yeah, that was clearly down to the nurses not doing their job.

The doctor/consultant was just sitting there waiting for the Nurses to bring your nephew to them. The bed they may have needed was just sitting there idle.

Yeah, that was clearly down to the nurses not doing their job.

The doctor/consultant was just sitting there waiting for the Nurses to bring your nephew to them. The bed they may have needed was just sitting there idle.

How does paying more money to existing nurses resolve waiting time problems?

Having experienced a and e first hand recently there are plenty of lazy medical staff in these units. They're not all Florence Nightingales the unions would have you believe, it's just a job for many. And many of them do it badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I spent 20 mins today reading through the various reports that have been commissioned over the last few years looking at pay for nurses. Quite quickly it's looks like our nurses are paid very well Vs the UK or EU average . With all their salary top ups etc they come out quite decent out of it with fair increments along the way.

If you upskill and get promoted this is also well recognised. Their spokesperson any time these reports are mentioned starts harping on about base wage Vs base wage , but to me if you are getting wage top ups for loads of things that its important to look at the total package .

If you were looking to change jobs in the morning you would compare the total package being offered not just the basic wages.

The crux of the problem is too many doctors and nurses leaving and not enough being trained .

Let's do the following
    1. Stop our medical schools taking on graduates from all over the world who return as soon as they are done . Unis are out of pocket but so what educate your own first then worry about foreign students .

2. Increase the numbers in training , invest heavily in this area this will eases pressure over time on junior docs and nurses and improve working conditions .

3. If you leave immediately following completion of training you pay back your fees, it's converted into a low interest or no interest fee loan . You must work in the country for 4 years . In order to bring this in the government must improve conditions for junior docs and nurses , I don't expect them to be bonded into slavery or anything. No stupid length shifts

Advertisement