Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apex Legends

• 05-02-2019 2:17am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,073 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Guess it deserves its own thread!

So Respawn's Titanfall spin-off comes with two important disclaimers:
    • It's not Titanfall 3, with all the disappointment that brings
    • It's a free-to-play battle royale game, with all the limits that brings

But, on its own terms, it's not half bad!

Based on a few games so far, it definitely scores a couple of points above some of its well known competitors. It has that razor sharp Respawn running-and-gunning gameplay, so it flows great even if the temptation is still to wall-run :pac:. The map design actually feels like a massive, interesting map with character rather than the hyper-bland PUBG ones (I haven't played Blackout, but from what I've heard this has borrowed some tricks from that). The relatively small amount of heroes means it's more immediate than Overwatch too, although it seems to me the basic gameplay is very similar across all characters here and the character abilities just add that bit of variety to proceedings.

I'm still not the biggest fan of the genre, and nothing's sparked quite like an Attrition match in either of the mainline TF games. But this, fairly determinedly, wants to be a different thing (a good thing in many ways - studios shouldn't get stuck in a cycle of just churning out straightforward sequels) and it works well. The battle royale pacing can still be annoying, especially when it's all over before you even get to do anything much. But this is a confident take on the genre, with more than enough polish to let you know those talented folk at Respawn are behind it. Gave me a serious hankering to boot up TF2 again, but I look forward to testing this out more as well!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It's actually very interesting way they threw that game out. No marketing, developed for the last two years with vision of being what it is now. No Early Access bull**** too.

I set it to download tonight, so hopefully will give it a go tomorrow after work. So far hearing pretty good things from usual YouTubers.

The only thing that is a bit weird - name. It's clearly Titanfall child, but they burried it. Considering no marketing behind it, it will be a big harder for people to find it. Then again, I bet you media will do their marketing for them for free. Really interested to see how it will pan out.

I really like it. There is enough Titanfall there to call it part of the universe but I also like how they have done something different. You have to wonder if there was a Titanfall 3 what it would look like. The same again only a slightly different? Not sure if i woild buy into that.

Expanding the universe is a smart move and gives the IP a very bright future. Delighted as it is easily my most played (possibly my favourite) game of this console generation.

I am wondering though how they are going to make money off it. I've only played a few games but so far I see absolutely no incentive to buy anything. FPS means there is no point buying skins that you can't even see. I'm guessing we will be getting battlepasses with challenges which should beef up the game a bit.

And if this is a game as a service lile fortnite I wouldn't rule out seeing jet packs and Titans at some stage :-) Even temporarily. They've got to give the community something to get excited about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

A million players in under 8 hours. That's some going. Hopefully it sustains as they are a talented studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Been working on it for two years in secret, no marketing and just launched out of nowhere.
    I don't get BR games but this has me interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Another one hopping on the Battle Royal bandwagon.

Well, **** that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Seems like it's lost everything i loved about Titanfall (titans and wall running). Probably a fine BR game, and i'll give it a go, but don't expect to play it for long.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,116 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Seems like a lot of fun the couple of hours I played. A lot easier to just pick up and play than PUBG and no ****e building mechanics to put up with like fortnite. The squad/class based system gives it its own dimension too. Doesn't really feel like Titanfall though, leaving out the wall running was an odd move.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Not played it yet but I did watch some Twitch last night. It does look fresh and interesting. I may have to give it a try.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Was looking forward to titanfall 3, respawn make great fps games but a BR game no thanks.

Dcully wrote: »
    Was looking forward to titanfall 3, respawn make great fps games but a BR game no thanks.

Why is that? Bit of an odd statement, what is it about BR that makes you not want to play a great fps? And for free?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,073 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

To be fair, Titanfall 3 was never announced anyway. This was released with its own name, clearly to separate it from the mainline series. They’ve been completely forthcoming about that.

And sure TF2 still exists anyway, and is wonderful. This game doesn’t change that :)

Mr Grumble wrote: »
    Why is that? Bit of an odd statement, what is it about BR that makes you not want to play a great fps? And for free?!

Odd statement how?
    I just dont enjoy the genre simple really, not everyone enjoys BR.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

He doesn't like having fun :P

Im having tonnes of fun with other genres :)
    And sure TF2 still exists anyway, and is wonderful. This game doesn’t change that

Its pretty much dead on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭Julez

Gave this a go last night and enjoyed the few games I played. Does feel very polished for something that only just got released. Servers seemed spot on too, quick and easy to find a game, crazy considering there wasn't an open beta or anything. I loved PUBG, and didn't/haven't enjoyed Fortnite or COD: Blackout, early days on this one, but it feels like it could be onto something.

If nothing else, i'll give them credit for announcing a game and then releasing it straight away. No bull**** teases 2 years before a proper announcement (looking at you Bethesda :mad:).

I think its great. I never played Titan Fall or TF2 (I just realised you're not talking about Team Fortress 2) so I'm not disappointed. It's a great take on the BR genre. It cleans up so many little mistakes that other attempts makes. I'm bored to death with PUBG's incredibly slow, "realistic" gameplay and sluggish movement. The weapons feel great and varied, unlike Black Ops 4. It takes BLOPS4's fast gameplay yet takes a bit of PUBG's more realistic gunplay. The weapons aren't lasers... we except the laser weapons but the sniper is a projectile. Grouping your squad together (optionally) is a nice touch. The map seems varied. I love the characters, except that accent on the Jamaican girl. It sticks to first-person which is far superior, you don't have people camping around corners. The ability to respawn teammates is fantastic. It often happens in BR games where you get in a fight early on and lose one team member, you can now respawn that person at a decent enough cost. I'm really, really worried about the F2P aspect. It seems fine now but I can't name one F2P game that doesn't eventually gouge its players to some degree. They have to make money somehow. BR games don't last very long either so I wonder is this a mistake on the developers part, but this seems a cut above the rest so far.

Odd statement how?
    I just dont enjoy the genre simple really, not everyone enjoys BR.
    Ok I just don't see how it is any different. The play area closes in, I wouldn't consider that a reason not to play the game tbh but each to their own.

I think its great. I never played Titan Fall or TF2 (I just realised you're not talking about Team Fortress 2) so I'm not disappointed. It's a great take on the BR genre. It cleans up so many little mistakes that other attempts makes. I'm bored to death with PUBG's incredibly slow, "realistic" gameplay and sluggish movement. The weapons feel great and varied, unlike Black Ops 4. It takes BLOPS4's fast gameplay yet takes a bit of PUBG's more realistic gunplay. The weapons aren't lasers... we except the laser weapons but the sniper is a projectile. Grouping your squad together (optionally) is a nice touch. The map seems varied. I love the characters, except that accent on the Jamaican girl. It sticks to first-person which is far superior, you don't have people camping around corners. The ability to respawn teammates is fantastic. It often happens in BR games where you get in a fight early on and lose one team member, you can now respawn that person at a decent enough cost. I'm really, really worried about the F2P aspect. It seems fine now but I can't name one F2P game that doesn't eventually gouge its players to some degree. They have to make money somehow. BR games don't last very long either so I wonder is this a mistake on the developers part, but this seems a cut above the rest so far.

Yeah you've got to wonder how they plan on making money. Seasons with challenges would be about all I can think of. I wonder was it originally meant to be pay to win and that got abandoned.

Jaysus it seems we just have to enjoy BR games with this lot.
    Im long enough around this place and many more gaming message boards to know people like different games and genres, i never question anybody why they do or dont enjoy a particular genre.

Pretty sure the game is solid as respawn are one of the best fps game devs out there, im simply saying i have no interest in BR games, like loads on here have no interest in genres im into, racing sims springs to mind :)

• Advertisement

Jaysus it seems we just have to enjoy BR games with this lot.
    Im long enough around this place and many more gaming message boards to know people like different games and genres, i never question anybody why they do or dont enjoy a particular genre.

Pretty sure the game is solid as respawn are one of the best fps game devs out there, im simply saying i have no interest in BR games, like loads on here have no interest in genres im into, racing sims springs to mind :)
    I'm not saying you have to like it, I'm just curious as to why. You don't have to share your reasons if you don't want to but you've already said you like fps so I was just curious what aspect of this puts you off.

I'd be the same. I'm not the biggest fan of online shooters in general, but something about BR games have just never grabbed me at all.

I'll give this a go though, as Titanfall 2 had some fantastic shooting. Annoyed that wall running is gone though...they did that so well.

Ofcourse i will give it a go, i owe that to respawn atleast as im a big fan of their gunplay.
    Watching Shroud absolutely owning it the last hour, running around just using pistols winning every game, guy is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Ofcourse i will give it a go, i owe that to respawn atleast as im a big fan of their gunplay.
    Watching Shroud absolutely owning it the last hour, running around just using pistols winning every game, guy is insane.

This is my biggest downfall. I'll watch something like this and then hop in expecting similar things to happen to me. The reality is shocking.
    I'm a big fan of fps online games but BR (fortnite-the building nor PUBG-too clunky) never grabbed me. I'm not sure the whole concept works for me.

Yet there something in the back of my mind that it could really click with me and I just have to find the right game. I'll be giving this a go and the Battlefield one at launch. I can't bring myself to COD even though I've been offered the latest one for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Its a bit different than the usual BR's in that, death isnt as permanent.

Like for instance i was playing with a friend last night, it was early game, first circle coming in, and the random we were grouped with ventured off on his own a bit too far and got into a fight, we ran to help and ended up between two squads as a result, the random died, and i eventually got overwhelmed, knocked and killed, my friend managed to kill the rest of them and he picked up my banner from my death chest in time. He then was rushing to the next circle, 5-10mins later, he manages to get to the rez pod with my banner and he was able to call me back into battle. Which was great, we ended up coming second, shoulda won it, i didnt manage to scrounge enough meds/shields for the final stretch and we were 2 v 3 for the final team.

So yeah, its great in that yer team mate can get you back into the game, hard to pull off for the most of times id bet, but still, keeps you interested in death and keeps the banter going on comms :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Really enjoying it so far and it's the first Battle Royale game to really click with me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,073 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah had another few rounds this morning and already vastly preferring it to the other battle royale games I’ve played (PUBG and Fortnite). While more robust parkour would be great, I do think they’re generous in terms of jumping / grabbing distance - and the zip lines / sliding down hills are great fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

So Overwatch meets the Battle Royale genre?

Downloading now, looking forward to giving it a go later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

fixxxer wrote: »
    So Overwatch meets the Battle Royale genre?

Downloading now, looking forward to giving it a go later.

Pretty much, the abilites arent as powerful as overwatch though, as in you dont press your ult and get loads of kills.

Most of the abilites are support for your team or passive. Like providing shields or healing, or helping locate enemies nearby etc.. 3 of the classes can do damage with their ult, in the form of air strikes or toxic gas, but they are situational and give you plenty of time to avoid. Would be useful to get a team to disperse when heavily fortified.

The only abilities ive been ****ed by was Wraiths portal, she basically presses the button and she goes invisible (at least i think shes invisible, the tooltips arent very informative) and she can run to a point and drop a portal for her team to go through (they enter the portal from where she first activated it) and they flooded through and just wrecked our team with a surprise attack. (Bastards)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

nix wrote: »
    Pretty much, the abilites arent as powerful as overwatch though, as in you dont press your ult and get loads of kills.

Not at my level :pac:

I like the idea that you can play a class that isn't kill focus. I prefer tank/support player to pure DPS. Hopefully it works out and its a viable set up.

Advertisement