Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurray for Europe! New Bank Holiday proposed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

They're really pushing hard on this Union thing these days. Feels almost like soviet era propaganda.

Stupid statement. They didn't really need propaganda in the USSR, if you were a problem as an individual they just got rid of you and if you tried to break away as a country they just invaded.

Britain joined voluntarily and is leaving voluntarily.
    The worst case scenario is Britain prospering post brexit.

Why would a new model of post-globalist prosperity be bad for anyone?

• Site Banned Posts: 79 ✭✭Robert Wolfe

If there's one thing Brexit has done, it's made me feel more European. A day to recognise and celebrate the Union would be class.

That's pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

That's pathetic.

Yeah this whole European identity is a bit too forced and artifical, you would swear they are trying to build another US...

I'd be terrified if these goons ever got an army

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Whirl_wolle

I love bank holidays. I find bank holidays are great for catching up with jobs around the house. Or if it's dry outside, putting the washing machine on overtime and get as much out on the line and dry. I think we definitely need a few more in Ireland.

A proposed bank holiday for May the 9th is a complete back of sh1t for us though. I can very much see the Irish government pulling a fast one and merging it into the May bank holiday and that will be that. It won't be an extra bank holiday at all, at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I find bank holidays are great for catching up with jobs around the house. Or if it's dry outside, putting the washing machine on overtime and get as much out on the line and dry.

Worst Bank Holiday idea ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Worst Bank Holiday idea ever.

Tuesday morning in work after bank holiday:

“Morning! Have a good weekend? Great having the extra day, eh?

“Yeah, I enjoyed it, washed and dried all my pants”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Thomas_IV

They already have two May holidays. Three would be crazy. Then nothing until the end of August.

What Ireland really needs is a July bank holiday.

Commemorate the Truce of 11th July 1921?

Yeah this whole European identity is a bit too forced and artifical, you would swear they are trying to build another US...

I'd be terrified if these goons ever got an army

Certainly not to me cos ethnically as well as culturally I am also European by birth and ancestry too. Above all, I rather prefer to live in a Europe with the EU as the binding organisation than in times when Europe was torn apart in wars over centuries and worst of them all during the 20th century.

Just have a look at countries at war and the many refugees who came to Europe in the past couple of years were fleeing the war in their home countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

The worst case scenario is Britain prospering post brexit. Could spark a chain reaction and they know it.

I would ****ing love that. The unelected in Brussels who are making decisions on our behalf would be seething.

They're really pushing hard on this Union thing these days. Feels almost like soviet era propaganda.

The worst case scenario is Britain prospering post brexit. Could spark a chain reaction and they know it.

Sure and this is why

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47060676
    Barclays shifts billions of pounds to Dublin because of Brexit

I don't see that as an act of panicking, I rather see it as a means of precaution.

I presume that many others have done the same already.

This Brexit folly of the Brits is something of a big chance for the Republic of Ireland to make the best out of it for herself by taking the chances right along the way. After all, the Brits have brought it all on to themselves by themselves. Nobody forced Brexit on them but their own Brexiteers.

• Advertisement

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I would ****ing love that. The unelected in Brussels who are making decisions on our behalf would be seething.

The 'unelected' in Brussels are sent there by their own national governments of the member states in the first place. So, one should just take a loot at back home as well before always putting the blame on the bureaucrats in Brussles alone. Nothing goes in the EU without the consent of the member states, but anti-EU propagandists love to omit that fact on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,921 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They've been playing that game in Westminster for the last 40+ years

Take credit domestically for anything good that comes from the EU. You don't see the EU logo on signs for EU-funded projects in the UK, like you do here.

Blame the EU for anything that's unpopular with certain vested interests, even though a UK minister or prime minister agreed to it, and even though (like workers' rights, food standards or fishing quotas) it's clearly for the greater benefit of the greater number of people.

I have to admit to an element of this:

Life ain't always empty.

Thomas_IV wrote: »
    Certainly not to me cos ethnically as well as culturally I am also European by birth and ancestry too. Above all, I rather prefer to live in a Europe with the EU as the binding organisation than in times when Europe was torn apart in wars over centuries and worst of them all during the 20th century.

Just have a look at countries at war and the many refugees who came to Europe in the past couple of years were fleeing the war in their home countries.

The EU is a project about power just wrapped up under the guise of a trading bloc/peace project, I'm not the only one to notice ever since the financial crash its really started to flex its muscles.

I've said this before but under no circumstances should it be allowed to militarize, something it's quite eager and moving at breathtaking speed to do, I'd give it a year or two before the new army is sent on regime change/meddling missions creating hordes of refugees.

The EU is a project about power just wrapped up under the guise of a trading bloc/peace project, I'm not the only one to notice ever since the financial crash its really started to flex its muscles.

I've said this before but under no circumstances should it be allowed to militarize, something it's quite eager and moving at breathtaking speed to do, I'd give it a year or two before the new army is sent on regime change/meddling missions creating hordes of refugees.

Utter bollix.

Utter bollix.

You think, they were quick to jump on the Maduro bad bandwagon, even going so far as to tell him to hold fresh elections in the next 8 days, that's some neck in fairness... But of course we all know what happens when you don't vote the EU way!

You think, they were quick to jump on the Maduro bad bandwagon, even going so far as to tell him to hold fresh elections in the next 8 days, that's some neck in fairness... But of course we all know what happens when you don't vote the EU way!

All you said is more to be expected from Trump et al than from the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭donaghs

An extra holiday could lighten the load of the Brexit economic poltical disruption. :rolleyes:

The financial crash showed when its us against the EU, we have to accept what they want.
    Our tax system is a big target now. Especially with after losing the biggest ally on this front, i.e. the UK.

The military thing is becoming a real worry. France led the charge into Libya, and were strongest pushing for action against Assad. Their exploits in defending their post-colonial system in Africa are not as well known but worth a read. e.g. Emperor Bokassa. Or even their role in Rwanda, defending the Francophonie?

so we have an EU currency, EU immigration policies, an EU parliament, EU courts, EU embassies and now a proposed EU army and EU national day.

Federal Europe ever closer union seems to be flowing nicely

Aegir wrote: »
    so we have an EU currency, EU immigration policies, an EU parliament, EU courts, EU embassies and now a proposed EU army and EU national day.

Federal Europe ever closer union seems to be flowing nicely

Don't forget Flag and anthem... Not bad for a trading bloc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

There’s far too many cultures to define European that easily.

• Advertisement

donaghs wrote: »
    The military thing is becoming a real worry. France led the charge into Libya, and were strongest pushing for action against Assad. Their exploits in defending their post-colonial system in Africa are not as well known but worth a read. e.g. Emperor Bokassa. Or even their role in Rwanda, defending the Francophonie?

In fairness, other than a few back handers, its the only way Dassault will be able to shift a few planes.

There’s far too many cultures to define European that easily.

Is it? How do you or would you define American culture for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Don't forget Flag and anthem... Not bad for a trading bloc...

It's not a trading bloc anymore, hasn't been for a long time.

You're referring to the EEC which ceased to exist in 1993.

Funny how boards posters appear to be mostly anti EU which is not representative of the attitude of Irish society towards the EU at all.

murpho999 wrote: »

Funny how boards posters appear to be mostly anti EU which is not representative of the attitude of Irish society towards the EU at all.

The many who are anti-EU are often the ones who either never really knew about the European Project right from the outset after WWII and are often repeating the same old propaganda fed to them by those who were always against European Integration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭donaghs

I wouldn't say most people here are "anti-EU" (some are). Rather, just willing to think critically about it. Ask questions, suggest reforms, object to aspects of it.

Like the rest of Irish society.

I think you're confusing this with our political class and most of our media who avoid asking difficult questions about the EU.

And in my opinion that's were it should have been left, ever since it's trying to be some empire on the world stage its starting to come apart at the seams, it's blatant disregard on nations concerns on immigration, democracy, an EU army only further its downfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭adcrawley

Can they not change it 30th March....

And in my opinion that's were it should have been left, ever since it's trying to be some empire on the world stage its starting to come apart at the seams, it's blatant disregard on nations concerns on immigration, democracy, an EU army only further its downfall.

There is no blatant disregard on nations - say member states - concerns on immigration and democracy cos it is not the EU who makes the decisions on such matters it is the member states themselves who do it. So, don't spread allegations you can't back up with prove cos what you say can be disproved by everyone who has been following the developments for the past years.

An EU Army will be the necessary result of the more self-centred and isolationist foreign policy of the Trump USA within NATO. I don't have to wonder why you are so keen to omit this fact in your way of argumentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's not an empire and nor is it falling apart at the seams.

It's just that a country that still has an Empire mentality is leaving.

The remaining 27 will be fine.

Immigration is only right wing bluster and not the big problem it's made out to be.
    EU is also totally democratic.

• Advertisement

There is no blatant disregard on nations - say member states - concerns on immigration and democracy cos it is not the EU who makes the decisions on such matters it is the member states themselves who do it. So, don't spread allegations you can't back up with prove cos what you say can be disproved by everyone who has been following the developments for the past years.

An EU Army will be the necessary result of the more self-centred and isolationist foreign policy of the Trump USA within NATO. I don't have to wonder why you are so keen to omit this fact in your way of argumentation.

Correction I should have put citizens(I won't put european citizens as that would give this charade legitimacy ;) Well you've got Hungary and Poland who want no part of Merkels "come, come" policy and could you really blame them? Yet the EU like to chastise them for not being part of the diversity is our strength(who comes up with these bull**** slogans)

Like you leave out the fact an EU army was well in the pipeline before Trump came to office

Advertisement