Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple MacBook Pro 2017 13 Inch i5 8GB 256GB Silver

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

dan786 wrote: »
    Driving back to work, will share the experience and picture of receipt when I get a chance later.

Did you have a collection date for today?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

cefh17 wrote: »
    Did you have a collection date for today?

For Saturday 2nd Feb as per email, but got text last evening to say its ready to collect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Driving back to work, will share the experience and picture of receipt when I get a chance later.

Dan Da Man! Note Da instead of the. Well earned brother while all other inferior boys simply gave up. Da Man Dan showed a backbone and earned the spoils.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Got a text, to go and collect....

Can't leave here for another hour though. :mad:

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

OP here.

As expected, despite having a reservation and no call, was not available for me. Enjoy those that got it. :-)

If I hadn't posted it, someone else would have. Although maybe next time, I'll stay silent. ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I "reserved" for collection on Sunday for Argos is Cork City. Got and email after reserving but no reservation number. Just see that there is one in stock at the moment but I got no text/email saying ready for collection :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Got a text, to go and collect....

Can't leave here for another hour though. :mad:

Johnny be a Dan and get that ****er

Dan fill me in, what do I say or do when I arrive in to Argos..... I'm determined to not leave empty handed.

Edit.... Just checked online and the store i have mine reserved in is showing no stock, but I have email with reservation code, and text telling me it's ready to collect.....

The heavens might be shining on me.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Dan fill me in, what do I say or do when I arrive in to Argos..... I'm determined to not leave empty handed.

Edit.... Just checked online and the store i have mine reserved in is showing no stock, but I have email with reservation code, and text telling me it's ready to collect.....

The heavens might be shining on me.

It's worth a shot. Buy yourself an icecream if it fails.

Went to the till. They said €1799 told them I have it reserved for 799€ they said that price is no longer valid. I told them that I made the reservation when that price was valid and it allowed me to order at that price.

It was not my fault if they didnt have stock at that time. Argos offered me a collection date along with the email stating the collection price and then sent me a text telling me its ready.

I told them to go and check other stores have sold them at 799. She went and checked a system in the back which confirmed that there were sales of same machine at 799 at other stores today and yesterday.

So they just knocked the €1000 off. I dont need it, I will sell it and make 400-500 on it and cover some bills.

Before anyone gives out that a genuine buyer missed out because of this, they didnt. Its not as if they would have definitely got it.

I was refused yesterday in a different store and know alot of others who were also. They have lots around so it all depends on who is at the till when you go in. I tried my luck and got it.

I have a reservation at another store to which I have not been texted about yet. I will go in and try also and will even have a receipt this time strengthen my case. If I can get it and make another 400 quid then I will give it a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

Tempted to go for it now. Problem is reservation is only until tomorrow and gonna have a very small window to get to the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kevcol

My store doesn't seem to have stock yet so I'm guessing I better wait till I get a text before I head down.

On my way to Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

I got knocked back in Blanch today... I might go back after work

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭chonix

Tempted to go for it now. Problem is reservation is only until tomorrow and gonna have a very small window to get to the store.
    I'd say: check the stores which have stock currently, and if yours has the same item with same code (doesn't matter the price), follow Dan's approach and state that they must honour the price (Hadn't reserved it, but had a similar situation with another reserve a while ago, got the reservation number, but item never arrived to the store, so I went to the store I reserved the item, turns out they had stock, pointed out the issue, and they honoured the price).
    Good luck YMMV

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fed_u

I have no txt gotten yet and should have been available from today.. no stock showing so anyone any joy in Limerick?

That was a hairy experience and no mistake.

Sauntered into Argos gave the lady at the till my reservation no, and straight away she asked me what price I reserved it at (I assume she knew, but could see how much it had shot up by) I said 799, on a flash sale.

She said yeah it's after going up by a grsnd you were lucky.

Takes my money, gives me receipt.

Grand says I , done deal.

Girl at the collection point hands me the laptop, then your woman from the till tells her about how lucky I was.

Next thing I know , she's after pulling the laptop off the counter , telling me there was a big mess up with these and we're not allowed to sell them at that price. :mad:

I said I'm after driving in here, stopped at the bank, after you text me telling me this is good to go.

She came back after five mins and handed me the laptop, and receipt and said it's your lucky day.

Get in.

Girl at the collection point hands me the laptop, then your woman from the till tells her about how lucky I was.

Next thing I know , she's after pulling the laptop off the counter , telling me there was a big mess up with these and we're not allowed to sell them at that price. :mad:

Once they take the money and give you a receipt they cant go back on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭DopeTech

That was a hairy experience and no mistake.

Sauntered into Argos gave the lady at the till my reservation no, and straight away she asked me what price I reserved it at (I assume she knew, but could see how much it had shot up by) I said 799, on a flash sale.

She said yeah it's after going up by a grsnd you were lucky.

I said I'm after driving in here, stopped at the bank, after you text me telling me this is good to go.

She came back after five mins and handed me the laptop, and receipt and said it's your lucky day.

Get in.

Which Argos was that?

Once they take the money and give you a receipt they cant go back on it.

I was thinking that, technically it was my goods they were withholding on me.

They also took my receipt off me too.

Anyway what's done is done.

• Advertisement

Moral of this bargain alert story is don't give up I guess, and definitely do not take no for an answer without arguing your point.

But nicely.

Sugar works better than vinegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭cmac2009

I wonder is some poor employee getting a roasting for this? Or is it some system error. Usually somebody gets the blame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

cmac2009 wrote: »
    I wonder is some poor employee getting a roasting for this? Or is it some system error. Usually somebody gets the blame

That’ll be the new intern Argos web developer given the basic task of entering price updates, well at least he has a story to tell!!

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

begbysback wrote: »
    That’ll be the new intern Argos web developer given the basic task of entering price updates, well at least he has a story to tell!!

Pay sh*t get sh*t

Just got another text.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Just got another text.

For another MacBook?

Stheno wrote: »
    For another MacBook?

Yeah at different store, about 7 mins drive from where I am now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Good luck

Go for it, after so many of us getting them I'd try again.

Or else do a ballot or something here for the reservation code for people who missed out (if you don't want to part with another 800€)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Went to the till. They said €1799 told them I have it reserved for 799€ they said that price is no longer valid. I told them that I made the reservation when that price was valid and it allowed me to order at that price.

It was not my fault if they didnt have stock at that time. Argos offered me a collection date along with the email stating the collection price and then sent me a text telling me its ready.

I told them to go and check other stores have sold them at 799. She went and checked a system in the back which confirmed that there were sales of same machine at 799 at other stores today and yesterday.

So they just knocked the €1000 off. I dont need it, I will sell it and make 400-500 on it and cover some bills.

Before anyone gives out that a genuine buyer missed out because of this, they didnt. Its not as if they would have definitely got it.

I was refused yesterday in a different store and know alot of others who were also. They have lots around so it all depends on who is at the till when you go in. I tried my luck and got it.

I have a reservation at another store to which I have not been texted about yet. I will go in and try also and will even have a receipt this time strengthen my case. If I can get it and make another 400 quid then I will give it a shot.

I know there will be different views on this, but, taking advantage of this purely just to make money from it, twice, is a tad bit selfish and immoral.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement