Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

9935452 wrote: »
    I have to laugh at fbd. I had 4 policys with them . They wanted 1000 up 300 from the previous year. The best they could do was give 5 percent off which was the online discount.
    I got better cover with bank of ireland for 540.
    Fbd wouldnt budge . 3 out of 4 policys are moved on now

Would that possibly be because your car went to being over 10 years old since last renewal? FBD will not quote for new business if the car is over 10 years old (or at least that was the case the last time I tried them a few years back). It doesn't really matter if you have a full NCB, no accidents, claims, convictions, penalty points etc. - more a case that either computer says yes or computer says no.

While they have to quote you if you are already insured with them and your car goes over 10 years old I can only imagine they will up the premium considerably. A bit surprised that they wouldn't budge anymore than 5% discount when you had so much business with them but they certainly wouldn't have being going matching the €540 anyway. And then again I have found out that customer loyalty means nada when it comes to motor insurance anyway. In fact they are more likely to royally fleece you for being a loyal and good customer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In fact they are more likely to royally fleece you for being a loyal and good customer.
    To be fair to the insurance industry(for once :)) they're not nearly the worst for this, utility companies are way worse. It's a given the longer you're with them the more you'll pay.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

cefh17 wrote: »
    Your Age: 24
    Car type and engine: 2010 VW Jetta 1.6
    Years driving: 6
    Any claims: None
    Price and provider: Kennco, €1,025

Your Age: 26
    Car type and engine: 2010 VW Jetta 1.6
    Years driving: 8 (4 NCB, 2 named), 3 pp
    Any claims: 2x windscreen
    Other: Insuring my GF (4 years experience on an EU licence, and mother)
    Price and provider:

Acorn - 1302
    Allianz - 1632
    BOI - 1646
    Campions - 1342
    FBD - 1702
    Kennco - 1737
    Quote Me - Zurich 1320
    Whoops - 1322
    XS Direct - 1145 (€3k excess!)
    AA - 1100

The rest were all above 2k, or no quote offered. Deciding at the moment between Axa €1088 Full NCB Protection or Aviva €947 Step-Back protection. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

I have to laugh at fbd. I had 4 policys with them . They wanted 1000 up 300 from the previous year. The best they could do was give 5 percent off which was the online discount.
    I got better cover with bank of ireland for 540.
    Fbd wouldnt budge . 3 out of 4 policys are moved on now

Would that possibly be because your car went to being over 10 years old since last renewal? FBD will not quote for new business if the car is over 10 years old (or at least that was the case the last time I tried them a few years back). It doesn't really matter if you have a full NCB, no accidents, claims, convictions, penalty points etc. - more a case that either computer says yes or computer says no.

While they have to quote you if you are already insured with them and your car goes over 10 years old I can only imagine they will up the premium considerably. A bit surprised that they wouldn't budge anymore than 5% discount when you had so much business with them but they certainly wouldn't have being going matching the €540 anyway. And then again I have found out that customer loyalty means nada when it comes to motor insurance anyway. In fact they are more likely to royally fleece you for being a loyal and good customer.

The car was 8 years old at the time so thats not it.
    The previous year they were looking for similar money but dropped by 250 ish over the phone.
    They would only match the online discount over the phone.
    I asked about a discount for multiple policys.
    I was told they dont do them because if they did and you moved one policy you would lose the discount on them all and they didnt want to punish their customers like that.
    Then i got a load of drivel about their level of cover and how it was in most cases a higher level than others.
    She went on and on about the level of cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Then i got a load of drivel about their level of cover and how it was in most cases a higher level than others.

At least she was professional enough to explain the level of cover. I'll guarantee that many people take the lowest figure quoted to them not realising key aspects of cover have been removed or restricted

• Advertisement

At least she was professional enough to explain the level of cover. I'll guarantee that many people take the lowest figure quoted to them not realising key aspects of cover have been removed or restricted

She explained it about 5 times like i was an infant though. .
    I was also going through a house policy with her too and asked her if my gsd dog was covered under the policy if he caused an accident . Ie they would pay out to fix someones car if they hit him or they had injuries as a result .
    She admitted that as a dangerous breed he had no cover at all under the house policy but i had public liability to 2.5 million
    Asked again so we are covered if he causes an accident ?
    No you are not but you have public liability to 2.5 million. This was repeated a few times.
    That was the end of the house policy with them

I was also going through a house policy with her too and asked her if my gsd dog was covered under the policy if he caused an accident . Ie they would pay out to fix someones car if they hit him or they had injuries as a result .
    She admitted that as a dangerous breed he had no cover at all under the house policy but i had public liability to 2.5 million
    No you are not but you have public liability to 2.5 million. This was repeated a few times.

So she told she explained that you have public liability, but dogs outlined in the Control of Dogs Regulations are excluded, as with other insurers. Where did you get that cover do you mind me asking?

So she told she explained that you have public liability, but dogs outlined in the Control of Dogs Regulations are excluded, as with other insurers. Where did you get that cover do you mind me asking?

Thats exactly it .
    I went with alliance.
    About 170 for the year. Thats including vets fees public liability and other stuff.
    Still has to be muzzled in public and under control. But definately covered under the policy.
    It would have 330 if he was pure bred.

2009 Ford Focus 1.8tcdi
    33 male
    1 year ncb, 1 year experience
    Full license /no points

This year €810. It was around €1700 last year.

Couldn't believe my eyes when the renewal quote came in September, didn't get another quote near €1k elsewhere. Along with my regular use of breakdown assistance I'd advise everyone to check Kennco. Last year they were pretty much the only place that would quote without a phonecall and were cheaper direct than through brokers, though they were also the cheapest with all the brokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

Your Age: 33
    Car type and engine: 2017 mustang 2.3
    Years driving: 6+
    Any claims: no
    Other: Insuring my wife too (has own car)
    Price and provider:

Aviva- who were my previous insurer €1184 ( came down to €1050)
    AA: €1565
    Aib: €1397
    123: €709, opted for this, added on no claims bonus protection for 70quid

All fully comp, seem to all have same levels of cover/excess. Was thinking aviva was pretty gd and was surprised at how low 123.ie were . Went with the lowest cost in the end

• Advertisement

Thats exactly it .
    I went with alliance.
    About 170 for the year. Thats including vets fees public liability and other stuff.
    Still has to be muzzled in public and under control. But definately covered under the policy.

So you swapped a household policy for pet insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I have always found FBD to be very courteous and professional to be fair, whether it be the few years I had a motor or household insurance policy with them or when I was otherwise getting quotes of them.

While no doubt there are some I'm not sure if there is a serious amount of people out there that just ignore extras when it comes to insurance. There might be quite a few paying over the odds for extras too and not getting any real value for adding them in. Personally I'd pay consideration to what I consider to be the potential cost/hardship if the loss were to occur along with the potential likelihood versus the cost of the add on - nothing scientific, just my own thought process! I'll pay a premium for add on but wont pay what I perceive to be over the odds for them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭grounderfill

My insurance was 700 which my old policy was to expire on the 10th January.

This thread gave me the kick in the behind to seek out a better deal. I had requested the new policy to start on the 10th Jan

I cancelled on the 10th day as I had found a better deal and expected to get a full refund due to being in the cooling off period of 14 days.
    Received €690.

Looking at the terms and conditions. I take it I'm being charged €10 for the one day of cover?

Cooling-off Period - Right of Withdrawal

As a consumer you have the right to withdraw from any xxx policy within 14 days of the latest of the date of inception of cover, or the date which you receive your Policy Schedule, without penalty and without any reason. The right of withdrawal may be exercised by notice in writing to XXX, quoting your policy number. In relation to motor vehicle insurance a notice of cancellation is not properly given unless the relevant certificates of insurance and insurance disc have been surrendered to XXX. Should the right be exercised, XXX will charge a pro-rata premium for the period you are on cover. Please note that this right of withdrawal does not apply when renewing a policy.

T&C's from a Travel Insurance policy????

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭grounderfill

yeah sorry fixed my post

Thats exactly it .
    I went with alliance.

Ahh no .
    Swapped the house policy to bank of ireland and took out a separate policy with alliance for pet insurance .

Thats exactly it .
    I went with alliance.

Ahh no .
    Swapped the house policy to bank of ireland and took out a separate policy with alliance for pet insurance .

Ahh no .

Cheers. Better to have a separate pet insurance policy alright, as all insurers usually exclude liability for dogs which are the subject of the Control of Dogs Act

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Got my renewal emailed this morning from First Ireland for a price of €1131 TPFT. They can stick it.
    I don't have anything to compared it to from last year as I renewed on the Civic which was 840, then in June I paid 140 to switch it back to the Mondeo.

Even though I'm abroad for the next few months im still going to renew.

Done some shopping around online and these were the figures with my da as a named driver.

05 Mondeo 2.5
    6 years ncb
    No points or clsims

Liberty - 1011 tpft
    123.ie - 873 tpft, 1259 comp
    Britton - 1084 tpft
    AA - 1488 tpft
    Aviva - no quote as usual
    Axa - 1623 tpft
    Chill with Liberty - 1219 tpft

And what I'm going with.

Bank of Ireland (who im a customer with) - €647 popular and €708 prestige fully comp.

After the few add ons such as full ncb protection, fully comp driving of other cars and other things it brings it up to €868 with 0% interest on direct debit payments

It was cheaper for me to go fully comp then tpft.

Cheers. Better to have a separate pet insurance policy alright, as all insurers usually exclude liability for dogs which are the subject of the Control of Dogs Act

Any idea why ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Any idea why ?

For exactly same reason that people working in motor trade won't get cover on 'driving other cars'. Too much risk for the Insurer.

grogi wrote: »
    For exactly same reason that people working in motor trade won't get cover on 'driving other cars'. Too much risk for the Insurer.

It's kinda like that. Liability for domestic pets is low risk for insurers and falls in to the category of 'add-ons' which can be included for little or no premium and enhances the offering. If you were to include the dogs under the Control of Dogs Act, insurers would need to charge the appropriate premium for the extra risk and therefore make overall premium for the core cover uncompetitive

Motor trade people don't get driving of other cars cover because it would be abused for it's intended purpose, when there is a specific product designed for that occupation

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I had a trade policy for years, unfortunately it's getting harder to keep and I have to give it up but I was covered on anything I had a licence for.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,722 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

33 male
    Full license
    1 claim - storm damage
    Fully comp
    No penalty points
    3 yrs NCB
    Kia optima 2012 crdi 3

Renewal came in at €1260 from FBD which is the same as last year. Rang around multiple places and most were around 12/1300 apart An Post at €820.
    Funny thing is the insurance is underwritten by FBD. Thankfully leaving FBD as they're a nightmare to deal with.

Pays to shop around.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Vanilla Cupcake

2010 Hyundai ix20
    29 years old
    Driving 3 years
    3 years ncb
    No claims or penalty points
    Full licence

Renewal from liberty 770e with 2 named drivers, removed 1 driver and it dropped to 600e so went with that! (This is for tpft, open driving of other cars, breakdown assist etc)

Cheapest quote I could find. Axa, Aviva etc all looking for between 950-1200e

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ciccina

Hi all,
    I am about to renew my policy from last year when I moved to ROI.
    I was searching through Chill and actually my current insurer Liberty was more expensive than Sertus. Does anybody know how reliable Sertus is? I thought Liberty was quite fine but now it's almost €150 more expensive and we want to buy a second car.
    Any feedback is appreciated.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Ciccina wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am about to renew my policy from last year when I moved to ROI.
    I was searching through Chill and actually my current insurer Liberty was more expensive than Sertus. Does anybody know how reliable Sertus is? I thought Liberty was quite fine but now it's almost €150 more expensive and we want to buy a second car.
    Any feedback is appreciated.
    Thanks!

I always urge people to use their own judgement. You seem to have already made a decision, just looking for confirmation....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Isn't Sertus owned by RSA?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'm insured since 2001 to last night.

Full licence, full no claims , no outstanding anything such as claims or points etc...

I've had a trader policy and no issues until this year so went to get private motor insurance again and hay ho they say nope.

So my insurance will be around €3k as they do not recognize that I've been insured for near 18 years private and trade so I'm now in the boat of I can't afford to insure.

What the actual fook is going on.

I've tried my own insurance I was under, brokers for example chill, quote devil, my own broker I had been using and many more and I'm now stuck with no insurance and now can't get to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

I'm insured since 2001 to last night.

im sure it would be simple for you to provide policy docs dating back five to ten years as proof of previous cover, but why would they accept those when they can just bend you over instead.

the insurance industry in Ireland is a joke. My CC covers insurance on car hires in every country with the exception or Ireland and North Korea... whats that tell ya?

Advertisement