Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Here’s international perspective for this thread - moved to Australia last year and living in outer North Melbourne Suburbs.

Car - 2005 Honda CR-V Sport 2.4L petrol
    Myself (24) and partner (24) both listed on the policy, but anyone can drive it just with a higher excess. I have my license 4 years and she has hers 2 years but also have our international licenses. No problem using these here.

0 no claims between either of us and our insurance price was $975 fully comp for 1 year, with a excess of $1050.

So that’s about €620 per year for 2 24 year olds with zero no claims, no Australian licenses on a 2005 2.4L Honda SUV....don’t think that would ever happen in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭jack of all

Got my renewal from Allianz for a 06 Astra, 1.4l with a quote for €425, a small increase on last years premium. Fully comp, bonus protection with full licence, max. no claims bonus, 0 penalty points.

Just got a new business quote with Aviva- €286, couldn't believe it, told the lady I dealt with it was the first time I've been happy ringing a motor insurer in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Got my renewal from Allianz for a 06 Astra, 1.4l with a quote for €425, a small increase on last years premium. Fully comp, bonus protection with full licence, max. no claims bonus, 0 penalty points.

Just got a new business quote with Aviva- €286, couldn't believe it, told the lady I dealt with it was the first time I've been happy ringing a motor insurer in years.

When are you returning her hand :). Good result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭jack of all

When are you returning her hand :). Good result.

I know, I asked her to hurry up and take a payment before the computer changed its mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Very quick question - didn't want to start a thread on it - where do I go to find out if my penalty points have expired? I got it in or around my renewal date and I can't remember if it's before or after March 4th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

Got my renewal in last week from AXA. It was €874 fully comp last year on a 2010 Skoda Octavia vRS 2.0 Tdi. €811 this year fully comp, discount protection, comprehensive driving other cars. I have a windscreen claim from 2016 settled at €222. 5 years No Claims in my own name, full license. I'll be staying with AXA, no other company quoted close to the renewal amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

leakyboots wrote: »
    Very quick question - didn't want to start a thread on it - where do I go to find out if my penalty points have expired? I got it in or around my renewal date and I can't remember if it's before or after March 4th

Rsa

• Registered Users Posts: 19 LediVal

Who knows.. Are all insurance companies ask to send them proof letter whit NCB???
    123.ie give me 1789eur with 2NCB but letter dated Aug 2016. Don't know what to do...

LediVal wrote: »
    Who knows.. Are all insurance companies ask to send them proof letter whit NCB???
    123.ie give me 1789eur with 2NCB but letter dated Aug 2016. Don't know what to do...

They will look for it if you say you have e so many years....

If it's 2 years or older then you start as a new driver with zero experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sntop1986

Hi all,

Anybody here have experience of renewing their insurance after a claim? I am considering settling a claim against me with a potential cost of about €500.
    It is small enough, but I'm not sure on settling privately as the claimant has said he visited a doctor about a slight pain which he feels is now resolved, so don't want it coming back to bite me!
    If I settle through insurance, how much could my renewal increase? BTW, I have NCB fully protected.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

sntop1986 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Anybody here have experience of renewing their insurance after a claim? I am considering settling a claim against me with a potential cost of about €500.
    It is small enough, but I'm not sure on settling privately as the claimant has said he visited a doctor about a slight pain which he feels is now resolved, so don't want it coming back to bite me!
    If I settle through insurance, how much could my renewal increase? BTW, I have NCB fully protected.

To settle privately, the other party would need to sign a waiver of any further claims related to the said accident. Otherwise they can always come back asking more - and you already have admitted fault.

Go through the insurance. If the settlement figure is not too big, you can pay it back to the insurer to have the claim removed from their file.

You might have a problem renewing next year - but with NCB protected you should be fine in two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sntop1986

grogi wrote: »
    To settle privately, the other party would need to sign a waiver of any further claims related to the said accident. Otherwise they can always come back asking more - and you already have admitted fault.

Go through the insurance. If the settlement figure is not too big, you can pay it back to the insurer to have the claim removed from their file.

You might have a problem renewing next year - but with NCB protected you should be fine in two years.

Thanks very much! If I do claim on my insurance, could my current insurers hammer me with loading when it comes to renewal time (up for renewal in August)? Or is it a case of how long is a piece of string?

sntop1986 wrote: »
    Thanks very much! If I do claim on my insurance, could my current insurers hammer me with loading when it comes to renewal time (up for renewal in August)? Or is it a case of how long is a piece of string?

Of course and if case remains open even more so.

NCD is a load of crap to be honest and even protected nothing stopping them increasing it anyway.

Of course and if case remains open even more so.

NCD is a load of crap to be honest and even protected nothing stopping them increasing it anyway.

The benefit of having it protected might not be obvious at first renewal, but it will pay back later on.

Wasn't that you that complained that couldn't get quotes because of lack of NCB? Protected NCB will not let one to get into that water.

grogi wrote: »
    The benefit of having it protected might not be obvious at first renewal, but it will pay back later on.

Wasn't that you that complained that couldn't get quotes because of lack of NCB? Protected NCB will not let one to get into that water.

I was but mine is a little more difficult as was trade policy which I've had years and private before this.

They won't accept NCD from my private trade policy in my own name as experience so I start as a no experience driver if go back private.

It's honestly a bizarre thing to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Renewal time soon so had a quick look around.

2005 Volvo s40 1.8
    Full license 8 years
    Ncb 9 years

AXA 780
    AIB (AXA) 750 and no extra charges for paying in installments.

123- 514 euro for tpft with breakdown assist, keys cover and driving other cars included.

Nice surprise, last year same car and same circumstances and I was struggling to get a quote. This time all around 750-800 and 123 the best I could imagine. Happy. Very happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

2008 1.4 Seat Leon
    Full Licence 9 Years
    No claims discount 5 years / actual no claims 3 years

Axa Renewal: 986 (same as last year)

25plus: 1,244.25
    Aviva: 1,644.45
    Allianz: 1,350.00
    Liberty: 1,083.03
    Kennco: 2,001.06
    123.ie: 1,118.32
    Blue: 1,098.37
    AIB: 1,796.19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Fieldog wrote: »
    851 fully comp on a 01 Passat with Allianz, saved a whopping 36 euro by ringing them....

No one else will insure me on such an old big car, but I need it as I have a bad back and need something comfortable, I have 11 years NCB

Rode even more because I can't afford a new car at the moment

Try Hooper Dolan in Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

AA bettered the quote of €370 I got from a broker and I got my renewal for €350 after.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ANGEM

I got my quote today 921.79.
    Have a full licence
    no penalty points
    full no claims bonus
    I'm driving 20 plus years
    Drive a 151 S4 Suzuki cross. 1.6L
    How are you all getting such low quotes
    My son thinks its my address Ballymun ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Try Bank of Ireland, they were the lowest with me and you get an extra 25% off if you have a bank account with them and an extra 10% if you have house insurance with them

ANGEM wrote: »
    Have a full licence
    no penalty points
    full no claims bonus
    I'm driving 20 plus years
    Drive a 151 S4 Suzuki cross. 1.6L
    How are you all getting such low quotes

That is nuts.

I got 635 with BOI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Who gave you the quote - was that the best one?

Are there a lot of car thefts/damage to cars in your area? That would drive up premiums.

Who gave you the quote - was that the best one?

Are there a lot of car thefts/damage to cars in your area? That would drive up premiums.

That was AXA through a broker. Blue insurance are coming in at 550. Massive difference.
    I don't know about car crime in the area think it's just the name of the area 😠

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Pekarirska

It's the Dublin address. Was living between Dublin and Waterford for a while. Bought a car and quotes with the address in Dublin were around €900, Waterford €600. So about 50% more. Glasnevin to be precise, secured underground car park, so just down the road from you ;)

Then try to play with your profession. My mechanic saved €200 by replacing "motor mechanic" for "mechanical technician". Silly but works.

Pekarirska wrote: »
    It's the Dublin address. Was living between Dublin and Waterford for a while. Bought a car and quotes with the address in Dublin were around €900, Waterford €600. So about 50% more. Glasnevin to be precise, secured underground car park, so just down the road from you ;)

Then try to play with your profession. My mechanic saved €200 by replacing "motor mechanic" for "mechanical technician". Silly but works.

When people will start to understand that majority of the insurance cost is the TPL policy. It doesn't care where you store your car, but where you drive it. Apparently the propability of payout in Dublin is much higher than in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Renewal quote €554 (Allianz through broker)
    Age 43
    1.4 Octavia 2007
    Full licence
    no penalty points
    full no claims bonus
    Driving 20 plus years
    Just got comp quote from Aviva for €349
    Can't see my brokers beating or coming anywhere near it.
    Have been with them for 20 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

cocoman wrote: »
    Renewal quote €554 (Allianz through broker)
    Age 43
    1.4 Octavia 2007
    Full licence
    no penalty points
    full no claims bonus
    Driving 20 plus years
    Just got comp quote from Aviva for €349
    Can't see my brokers beating or coming anywhere near it.
    Have been with them for 20 years!

I'd stop looking. Grab that aviva quote...quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Classic insurance through Autoline on my R34 Skyline...€128

Advertisement