Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Irish" tourists dump rubbish on NZ beach, threaten locals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

They are British nationals, of Irish Traveller ethnicity.

Have to laugh at the consul trying to claim that Irish Travellers aren't Irish: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/109977822/irish-community-being-unfairly-blamed-for-troublemaking-tourist-family

What matters, to the consul, is the passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I'm living in NZ at the minute and only last week, a few of us were discussing how it seemed to be the last outpost, at least in the anglophone world, that the travellers hadn't arrived in. Then this sh1tstorm starts.....

Their escapades are making daily headlines here since the beach incident and people here are obviously pissed off with it, but slightly fascinated by the whole traveller thing. Your average Kiwi has absolutely no concept of what a traveller/gypsy is. I've been explaining it to work colleagues all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

kravmaga wrote: »
    Are they Irish travellers with British passports? Surname of one charged before the courts is CASH?

See link, is it the same crowd, name and shame them.

All English-Brits according to the Irish Times, ha ha ha, (like they really thought that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Folkstonian

kravmaga wrote: »
    Are they Irish travellers with British passports? Surname of one charged before the courts is CASH?

See link, is it the same crowd, name and shame them.

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/world/rowdy-tourists-irelands-consul-general-slams-racist-stereotyping/ar-BBSjY2A?li=BBr5KbJ&ocid=mailsignout

Whatever about the passports they travel on

Just look at that map, plotting their course across the North Island with a literal trail of destruction and mayhem left in their wake

It says they even kicked off on the plane, ffs

Staggering

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

At least over here (NZ) they are being called out on the scumbag behaviour by the locals, the papers and the courts. No one here has any time for it and don't stand for it either.
    They'll be hounded out of NZ yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,169 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

At least over here (NZ) they are being called out on the scumbag behaviour by the locals, the papers and the courts. No one here has any time for it and don't stand for it either.

Yeah its a pity everyone in Ireland is afraid to call them out on their behaviour for fear of being called a racist.

Wonder how the kids schooling is going when they are on the road trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

Looks like they have been served deportation notices.
    Puts a smile on my face

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

A 26-year-old woman involved with the group has been arrested by police and charged with theft, the police spokeswoman said.

The theft charge related to an incident that took place in the north shore area of Auckland, and the woman is set to appear before Hamilton District Court on Wednesday.

Guilty as charged!

Caught red handed on CCTV.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

http://nzh.tw/12190622?fbclid=IwAR00MSmr1CSr42fMAnv6FWno2ZFDh-tmWQeY5ZhBnHsoRMDch5zkyeYmHuc

About half way through the video, they talk to one of the group who is from Liverpool and definitely sounds English.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

If we go on holiday, we treat every country like our own country

Some actual truth from them. Only difference is that its tolerated, nae excused in their own country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I'm living in NZ at the minute and only last week, a few of us were discussing how it seemed to be the last outpost, at least in the anglophone world, that the travellers hadn't arrived in. Then this sh1tstorm starts.....

Their escapades are making daily headlines here since the beach incident and people here are obviously pissed off with it, but slightly fascinated by the whole traveller thing. Your average Kiwi has absolutely no concept of what a traveller/gypsy is. I've been explaining it to work colleagues all week.

I hope you're fairly explaining their culture, boss

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ArrBee

And they're on the move...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/109994884/unruly-travelling-family-spotted-in-wellingtons-northern-suburbs

I'm loving how the general public are getting involved in keeping an eye on them instead of fearfully turning a blind eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Your average Kiwi has absolutely no concept of what a traveller/gypsy is. I've been explaining it to work colleagues all week.

Out of interest, I'd love to how you'd explain it to those that have no concept of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    A tinker could be born and raised in Tonga and still speak like that, they are often generations in the UK and speak the same as their cousins from athlone

My sister is friends with a settled Traveller girl. This girl is smart and she's determined in a professional sense. She's working in an office in a secretarial capacity the last couple of years. She sounds more or less like anyone else my sister hangs out with. Then he mother calls and the accent changes "Hellooo Mommy". It's that Traveller accent that seems to be ubiquitous regardless of location. Could be Dublin, Wexford or Mullingar and it's all the same. So very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Omackeral wrote: »
    Out of interest, I'd love to how you'd explain it to those that have no concept of them?

The only connection between Gypsies and Travellers are similarities in behaviour.
    Other than that they are two very separate groups.

Gypsies = Dark skinned originating from northern India

Travellers= white skinned originating from Ireland

I remember when I 1st moved over here and the 1st summer we had.
    The weather was nice on occasion and there was more than a few BBQs involved... But try as I might, the Mrs wouldn't let me go down to the shops in my singlet to buy more beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,324 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mod NoteGuys don't use the k word/etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

christalmighty! I've been reading this thread for the past few days and you would think that NZ is some sort of nirvana where everything is 'nice' and a bit of anti-social behaviour is a National crisis.
    So bleedin' what if an extended family of Irish/English travelers did a bit of shoplifting and left rubbish on a beach, they didn't murder anyone which is what happened to that poor English backpacker in Auckland just before Christmas.
    I can only presume that it is the mid-summer silly season down there and the media have nothing better to do!
    Worth listening to: 1.50, "NZ is peddled as a as this great, easy, happy-go-luck, chill place"
    last words, "....there's quite a dark undercurrent to NZ .."

Mod NoteGuys don't use the k word/etc.

Not allowed to call NZers Kiwis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I disagree. They carry on like that here and in the UK and we are supposed to put up and shut up cause it’s not that bad, it’s only a bit of rubbish, sure doesn’t it keep someone in the council in a job? Sure what’s 55 euros worth of groceries here and there? Or the cafe won’t miss a 100 euros bill either.
    It’s not the crimes, it’s the entitlement and the impact their petty crimes have on other people. Why should everyone else pick up theirs rubbish? Why should small businesses be out of pocket? They’re a guest in someone else’s country and they’re absolutely shameless. This isn’t normal or rational behaviour and they deserve to be called out on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

christalmighty! I've been reading this thread for the past few days and you would think that NZ is some sort of nirvana where everything is 'nice' and a bit of anti-social behaviour is a National crisis.
    So bleedin' what if an extended family of Irish/English travelers did a bit of shoplifting and left rubbish on a beach, they didn't murder anyone which is what happened to that poor English backpacker in Auckland just before Christmas.
    I can only presume that it is the mid-summer silly season down there and the media have nothing better to do!
    Worth listening to: 1.50, "NZ is peddled as a as this great, easy, happy-go-luck, chill place"

Well quite obviously this familys behaviour was quite ununusual, unusual enough for a New Zealander to follow these people to their car and ask them to clear up their rubbish. The locals cleared up the rubbish themselves after the family left, they would probably be shocked to know that local authorities here clear up after travellers all the time.

I think someone mentioned it earlier in the thread, about some of the many social problems in NZ.
    Very high if not highest rates of family violence and child mortality.
    Generally "not tolerated" but when it's behind closed doors it's harder to call out.

when it comes to the gangs. There's a long history there.
    I would liken them to the Dublin drug family cartels, but bigger and more public.
    There is a bit of legitimization though which leads to open dialog between gangs and police. This helps keep tabs on behavior a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

NIMAN wrote: »
    Yeah its a pity everyone in Ireland is afraid to call them out on their behaviour for fear of being called a racist.

Does this actually happen to any meaningful degree? I've never felt afraid to call out scummy behaviour from travellers. And judging by comments on AH traveller threads it looks like most people are unafraid to do it either.

If there are people on here who are scared of that one who compares travellers to the Amish or the guy who thinks settled folk are dumping rubbish on halting sites, the problem lies with them alone and they should probably stay indoors lest they have a panic attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

My sister is friends with a settled Traveller girl. This girl is smart and she's determined in a professional sense. She's working in an office in a secretarial capacity the last couple of years. She sounds more or less like anyone else my sister hangs out with. Then he mother calls and the accent changes "Hellooo Mommy". It's that Traveller accent that seems to be ubiquitous regardless of location. Could be Dublin, Wexford or Mullingar and it's all the same. So very odd.

It's important to give folks a fair go as individuals. Kudos to that girl.

But then some individuals who are crooked like to talk about discrimination on account of their group membership and seek to take advantage to get special treatment. I say no special sympathy for them when they are caught.

People who genuinely hate discrimination hate it in all directions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I had a flatmate from Kerry who worked reception in hotels. He'd worked in Ireland, the UK and Switzerland. He had a very neutral accent, until he was talking to his relatives on the phone and his natural Kerry bogger accent came out. It was like he was speaking a different language :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

ArrBee wrote: »
    I think someone mentioned it earlier in the thread, about some of the many social problems in NZ.
    Very high if not highest rates of family violence and child mortality.
    Generally "not tolerated" but when it's behind closed doors it's harder to call out.

when it comes to the gangs. There's a long history there.
    I would liken them to the Dublin drug family cartels, but bigger and more public.
    There is a bit of legitimization though which leads to open dialog between gangs and police. This helps keep tabs on behavior a bit.

Denial of problems is a key kiwi trait, try complaining about anything in that country and you are told to

"stop whining"

Sympathise with anyone dealing with travellers but kiwis are a self satisfied bunch

• Registered Users Posts: 25,765 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Denial of problems is a key kiwi trait, try complaining about anything in that country with a pommie accent and you are told to

"stop whining"

Fyp.

NZ is well busy facing up to it's own problems.

Arguably the higher rates are as much to do with honesty about the problem as differences in underlying rates.

And if it was a Mongrel Mob family who'd littered Tapapuna Beach, no one would have said a word to them.

What ypu are seeing in the media is simply summertime and the lack of any real news.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭zell12

DailyMail screams
    British gypsy family who caused havoc across New Zealand speak out from hiding to claim they are not being treated with respect and 'have no rights'
    'If people come to the UK, they have rights, What are our rights here? We have none,'
    The family now say they have been inundated with death threats, sexist slurs and claim a $5,000 bounty has been put on the head of their 18-year-old son.
    'We had to flee for our life. Our seven-year-old grandson was hit at the beach. We asked 'could you stop hitting him and pinning him against the tree', and they called us all sorts of names and threatened us. That's why we couldn't pick the rubbish up.'

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Billy86 wrote: »
    Lots of Cash's in the UK too, used to work in Tusla and we were very, very well acquainted with some of them.

Brave person to be admitting to working in Tusla just to make a point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I work in construction and was down in shannon yesterday visiting a project. The builders project manager took a call from a person that sounded irate - looking for cash - I could overhear the call.

He said to me that there’s a massive protection racket going on in limerick run by travellers. Pay up or else. There’s thousands been handed over.

These people are leeches of the highest order. absolutely zero time for them or their culture. The bring shame and embarrassment to civilised people either home or abroad. No morals, no ethics, no stakeholding in building society.

Advertisement