Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Wolf Game Thread

Options

Comments

• Forum Games Player Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Brendan WW

Desmond WW wrote: »
    They want to lynch me as well and I at a loss as to why.

Hello wolfy.

Jake WW wrote: »
    I don’t know :(

That's why your idea is good in theory but bad in practice. FFAs get people talking which is more important early in the game. The sooner people throw out accusations the better.

• Forum Games Player Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭Phil WW

Brendan WW wrote: »
    Hi Phil, you seem to understand what's going on at least.

latest?cb=20130127055317

tenor.gif?itemid=3866313
    Frank WW wrote: »
    Barbara's "any of us are capable of anything Frank" however, that is pure fluff reasoning. Sure we could all use that as a defence/offence for or against any accusation in the game. Complete throwaway comment which means nothing. Then there was the committing to Jake's FFA plan and immediately breaking it..."Hell I'll do my FFA now"...spoken as if it was urgently required right then. I'm suss of Barbara, but not Phil or Conor just yet.

giphy.gif

What I really like is I have something similar written and ready to go in my own FFA.

• Forum Games Player Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Frank WW

Now I'm going to park the Boromir chat and try to look at something else. We are talking about lylo and balance in the last hour, but have we figured out what we are facing as a village yet? Here is a reply I was working on to Oisin before I got caught up in the 'Frank is infact Boromir' debate.
    Oisin WW wrote: »
    Well I can't see it clarified anywhere in the OP on in this thread so I'm wondering why Frank seems to think converts return to village if the wolf team is killed, does he know something we don't?

With Sauron's team...

Cult converts "return to the village" because according to the part of the OP I quoted in an earlier post, they never left it once they weren't turned Nazgul. Note that I am strictly talking about cult converts and not Nazgul converts here. From my reading, the Nazgul will not return to the village, they are wolves we'd need to kill.

Cult members (not Nazgul) seem to be an option for Team Sauron to explore as a win condition, not their only option though...

Sauron/Cult: Wins when all living players are converted to the cult of Sauron, or by killing off the wolf team and the Balrog and gaining parity with the village.

They need to convert "all living players" to win with one option, so that could even mean the other bad team or the Balrog as well as villagers. From my reading of the those win conditions, Team Sauron could convert the whole village, but still not have won once they didn't yet convert or kill Team Saruman/Urak-hai plus the Balrog. They either have to kill all evils and gain parity with us villagers, OR convert all living players.

So that raises the question...if converted villagers (who don't become full Nazgul) "do not change alignment"...how do they count for parity at end-game?

Say we get to a situation of 5 village v 3 wolves, but 2 of those village are innocent cult members...do the wolves win? Or do those two cult members count as villagers because...that's what the OP basically says?

Long story short, I'm wondering if the Team Sauron cult mechanism is an 'all or nothing' device - Either they convert everyone and win, or they have to explore the other option in their win conditions.

Also...

I see that someone raised the good point of 'All this talk is keeping the attention off the other wolf team', well that's true but it shouldn't be used to shade those who have been trying to focus on one or two things in detail for a few hours. There's lots of us playing this game, no reason why a few groups of people can't be looking at a few different leads simultaneously. We don't have to be one tunneled village all of the time. Team Saruman/Uruk-Hai seem a bit more straight forward, hence maybe why they aren't getting as much attention so far. I doubt anyone is forgetting them though.

Halfway through Monday now we need to see everyone starting to pull their weight and contribute. Ha, I should be working and am facing a looming deadline, but I'm getting sucked into the game. I'd rather see a poster look into 'X situation' themselves rather than merely post "Convenient that other people aren't looking into X situation".

• Advertisement

Phil WW wrote: »
    tenor.gif?itemid=3866313

giphy.gif

What I really like is I have something similar written and ready to go in my own FFA.

On that same page as you Phil, and I'm disappointed that I'm not in a giffing position myself right now. I owe you one!

No doubt one of us will soon be accused of pocketing the other or being on a team.

I at least have one solid name for my FFA now. To go with my previous reasons, the Mary Poppins fluff doesn't help anything but her post count.

• Forum Games Player Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭Barbara WW

On that same page as you Phil, and I'm disappointed that I'm not in a giffing position myself right now. I owe you one!

No doubt one of us will soon be accused of pocketing the other or being on a team.

I at least have one solid name for my FFA now. To go with my previous reasons, the Mary Poppins fluff doesn't help anything but her post count.

Solid, good one!

giphy.gif

• Forum Games Player Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Oisin WW

Now I'm going to park the Boromir chat and try to look at something else. We are talking about lylo and balance in the last hour, but have we figured out what we are facing as a village yet? Here is a reply I was working on to Oisin before I got caught up in the 'Frank is infact Boromir' debate.

With Sauron's team...

Cult converts "return to the village" because according to the part of the OP I quoted in an earlier post, they never left it once they weren't turned Nazgul. Note that I am strictly talking about cult converts and not Nazgul converts here. From my reading, the Nazgul will not return to the village, they are wolves we'd need to kill.

Cult members (not Nazgul) seem to be an option for Team Sauron to explore as a win condition, not their only option though...

Sauron/Cult: Wins when all living players are converted to the cult of Sauron, or by killing off the wolf team and the Balrog and gaining parity with the village.

They need to convert "all living players" to win with one option, so that could even mean the other bad team or the Balrog as well as villagers. From my reading of the those win conditions, Team Sauron could convert the whole village, but still not have won once they didn't yet convert or kill Team Saruman/Urak-hai plus the Balrog. They either have to kill all evils and gain parity with us villagers, OR convert all living players.

So that raises the question...if converted villagers (who don't become full Nazgul) "do not change alignment"...how do they count for parity at end-game?

Say we get to a situation of 5 village v 3 wolves, but 2 of those village are innocent cult members...do the wolves win? Or do those two cult members count as villagers because...that's what the OP basically says?

Long story short, I'm wondering if the Team Sauron cult mechanism is an 'all or nothing' device - Either they convert everyone and win, or they have to explore the other option in their win conditions.

If the scenario was true, the wolves would need to get rid of the 2 cult members before winning Id say as they would be considered another bad team?

• Forum Games Player Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭Wendy WW

Mary WW wrote: »
    I'd prefer to catch a wolf but if none show themselves before voting time and Boromir has come out and said "hey guys I'm a liability" then yeah
    Vernon WW wrote: »
    Seems harsh on the player, they have been given a crap hand in the role they have though

Only they can decide if they want to put themselves forward but no harm in having a discussion on it
    Bit harsh on Boromir but I see where you'll coming from. Saying that, aren't we all a liability as we can all be converted to the cult!

These three replies are interesting to me. Very similar. All going with the vibe of maybe we shouldnt but whatever. Like wolves who'd prefer to keep their chance at an extra team mate alive but noncomittal and wishy washy so they cant be called on it later. Maybe Mary less so than Vernon and Oisin.

• Forum Games Player Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Oisin WW

If the scenario was true, the wolves would need to get rid of the 2 cult members before winning Id say as they would be considered another bad team?

Reread the win conditions and thats sounds wrong, wouldnt need to gain parity with all other teams collectivily?

• Advertisement

Barbara WW wrote: »
    Solid, good one!

giphy.gif

Yep, that totally helps you Barbara.

While you're there copying gifs from your BR, could you tell your wolf team-mate Henry to come out and offer a little more than what he has so far...

Yesterday:
    Henry wrote:
    Henry checking in, haven't read anything yet, but will get on to that soon.

This morning...
    Henry wrote:
    Morning folks. Was ambling about this morning and came across an almanac? Anyone know what it does?
    Henry wrote:
    Oh no, I don't like spiders. I hope that is not what it does. Mind you, it's better than a countdown clock

You guys are running quite a formidable fluff factory there :D

• Forum Games Player Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭Tegan WW

I don't think so, nowhere in the OP does it say the non full cult members count as parity, the only win condition that includes them is a full sweep, that is EVERYBODY left alive is either a full cult member or a non full member.

In every other win scenario, the non full members are insignificant.

Seems to be a slight misunderstanding here and that could be my fault - I was talking about Team Sauron, just one wolf team, in that situation I hypothesised. I was wondering what benefit, if any, the cult members are to Team Sauron in that situation.

We're glancing the OP thinking these cult converts will help the wolves outweigh the village in a parity situation and Team Sauron can win it that way, but read the win conditions carefully. It seems that for them to win via the conversion route, they have to convert all living players in the game (that's not flavour for 'humans' as opposed to undead zombies, it means every player currently alive in the game) and that would imply that the Balrog and Team Saruman/Urak-Hai must be converted too.

An 'all or nothing' type of situation for Team Sauron if they try to win by conversions.

• Forum Games Player Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Doris WW

Also...

I see that someone raised the good point of 'All this talk is keeping the attention off the other wolf team', well that's true but it shouldn't be used to shade those who have been trying to focus on one or two things in detail for a few hours. There's lots of us playing this game, no reason why a few groups of people can't be looking at a few different leads simultaneously. We don't have to be one tunneled village all of the time. Team Saruman/Uruk-Hai seem a bit more straight forward, hence maybe why they aren't getting as much attention so far. I doubt anyone is forgetting them though.

Halfway through Monday now we need to see everyone starting to pull their weight and contribute. Ha, I should be working and am facing a looming deadline, but I'm getting sucked into the game. I'd rather see a poster look into 'X situation' themselves rather than merely post "Convenient that other people aren't looking into X situation".

I was the one that raised that point. I just noted that either team can convert Borimir , my bad. So it would actually make more sense that both teams wouldn’t want Bori to come out! That sort of puts me at a loss cause I had begun to work on that theory (one bad team trying to get Bori to come out).

Boromir – The Cursed. Should Boromir be targeted for a kill by Team Saruman or a conversion by Sauron, he will either become a wolf or a Nazgul.

We need to be mindful that Sauraman peaks good, just if or when Gandelf comes out. As such I would be keeping an eye out for anybody that looks like they want to be peaked, even subtlety.

In terms of the poison dynamic, is there a chance that the baddy team can choose who gets fake and real poison? If so it’s a great way for them to hide in the victims. The OP states that we get an announcement at 10am of who has been poisoned. If the wolves find out who gets the real and fake poison, they could choose to put one of themselves as the fake poison receiver.

I suppose this power May force rolled goodies to come out for the cure. But We do have a BG so whoever comes out as a result of poison has potentially an extra days powers. If one of our RVs is forced to come out as a result of being poisoned they may get a few extra days by BG protection or BJ bluffing.

Thing is though, if baddies can choose who gets what poison they a few ways of confusing us:

Give fake poison to baddy - look like maybe not on team Eye (keep confusing baddy names so team eye seems easier).
    Give fake poison to non baddy target - then try and cast shade in game on target

Feels like there could be other ways but that’s all I have now....

• Forum Games Player Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Holly WW

All of the above seems pointless to me.
    Sauron, Saruman, who cares to see?

Tegan WW wrote: »
    I don't think so, nowhere in the OP does it say the non full cult members count as parity, the only win condition that includes them is a full sweep, that is EVERYBODY left alive is either a full cult member or a non full member.
    It's not all about who wins though Tegan.

Some cannot be converted. Such a small view.

Holly WW wrote: »

Who cannot be converted?

All of the above seems pointless to me.
    Sauron, Saruman, who cares to see?
    It's not all about who wins though Tegan.

Try multiquote sometime. Might reduce post count but it’s easier for people to review your posts. ;)

You don’t seem to elaborate on anything in these posts. I actually don’t know what you mean by “Sauron , Saruman , who cares to see”?. What did you mean?

Who cannot be converted?
    Those who don't have any stakes. Don't need to fear any powers either.

• Advertisement

Those who don't have any stakes. Don't need to fear any powers either.

What game are you playing?

Try multiquote sometime
    Each deserves their turn.
    Doris WW wrote: »
    You don’t seem to elaborate on anything in these posts. I actually don’t know what you mean by “Sauron , Saruman , who cares to see”?. What did you mean?
    What does it matter what team somebody is on, ultimately?

What game are you playing?
    None my friend, none at all. Certainly not as serious as you.

Though I have my own game, it is much smaller. Less concerns with less stakes.

Can someone explain how talking for pages on the cult mechanics helps us catch wolves? As far as I can tell it's just giving people an easy excuse to post about game mechanics without actually contributing.

That being said, sorry but I'm about to do this ....
    rather see a poster look into 'X situation' themselves rather than merely post "Convenient that other people aren't looking into X situation".

giphy.gif

None my friend, none at all. Certainly not as serious as you.

Though I have my own game, it is much smaller. Less concerns with less stakes.

I asked "Who cannot be converted?"

you answered "Those who don't have any stakes. Don't need to fear any powers either."

The OP for this game is here

It explains the game should be playing, but I think you just breezed by the first post.

Can you explain why 'those who don't have any stakes.' cannot be converted.

Can you also explain why those who 'don't need to fear any powers either' are immune to conversion.

• Forum Games Player Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭Eva WW

Re: Doris

It reads to me like the Witch King is the only one who can issue the poison, in which case if we take him out, the poisonings stop

I'd also read it as the Witch King is able to choose who gets the fake poison and who gets the real one, but IMO don't think he'd be able to give either one to his teammates

Each deserves their turn.

What does it matter what team somebody is on, ultimately?

I meant different baddy teams have different agendas and powers and different strategy’s. If a person clearly wants to be peaked they are less likely to be on team eye purely because they don’t have anybody who peaks good. Doesn’t mean they aren’t bad but it’s certainly a strategy to be aware of.

Likewise if there are two poisoned people they are less likely to be on team Christopher Lee. Doesn’t mean they aren’t on the team but team eye will be selective on who they choose and they are just as likely to choose a teammate for fake poison as they are two goodies (or goody and team lee). I think that’s worth factoring in whatever way we decide as a village to interpret things.

Ultimately it doesn’t matter to the village once we get baddies but it’s a way of possibly trying to spot people’s play. How else do you propose we flush out baddies?

I asked "Who cannot be converted?"

you answered "Those who don't have any stakes. Don't need to fear any powers either."

Can you explain why 'those who don't have any stakes.' cannot be converted.

Can you also explain why those who 'don't need to fear any powers either' are immune to conversion.
    That would be to reveal too much and somethings are best left unknown. Perhaps I refer to myself. Think and it should be clear.

Eva WW wrote: »
    Re: Doris

It reads to me like the Witch King is the only one who can issue the poison, in which case if we take him out, the poisonings stop

I'd also read it as the Witch King is able to choose who gets the fake poison and who gets the real one, but IMO don't think he'd be able to give either one to his teammates

Hmmm... That is interesting. I’m not sure how I would read that. It would be a better power for the baddies if they could fake poison themselves.

However, if we looked at it from that point of view, anybody poisoned (fake/real) would be effectively telling team Lee who is not on team eye. That would actually help team lee on that level... I’m not sure what to think on that....

• Advertisement

Doris WW wrote: »
    Ultimately it doesn’t matter to the village once we get baddies but it’s a way of possibly trying to spot people’s play. How else do you propose we flush out baddies?
    If you delight in the game though (reflect on this) you have no interest in such things. No need to know these things precisely, just watch it play out and forego control.
    we decide as a village to interpret things.
    We?

Advertisement