Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,780 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

deiseach wrote: »
    GAA website is still saying venue 'TBC' :confused:

I think there is a huge appetite out there for hurling in 2019. 2,000+ at a souped-up challenge match in early January? Incredible. Part of that is down to the championship-for-the-ages that was 2018 and part of it is, in Waterford at least, the blank slate that the new management team has. But I think the main reason is the new format. The prospect of constant hits of high-quality, meaningful games in the early summer is so much more tantalising than a not-quite knockout game followed by several weeks of sitting on your hands, and by 'sitting on your hands' I mean 'players going through interminable training sessions while the fans are sitting on their hands'. It's going to be great (edit: if we get our home games).

Thurles or Port Laoise (venues both free on the 27th Jan) the likeliest to host the Offaly game which losing home advantage too is a farce as it's us the genuine paying fans who are getting punished anyways it is what it is

Hoping too travel too all the league games. Sadly have too miss the Cork game in June due to other things but I'm hoping were through too the All Ireland series by then but lots and lots of hurling before May/June

How's Ballygunners prep for the All Ireland going ?? They are really up for it Ballyhale are very strong

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DLS2THECORE

The opening round of the league V Offaly will take place in Thurles on Sunday 27th Jan. Time TBC. Expect an announcement in the next week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Thurles or Port Laoise (venues both free on the 27th Jan) the likeliest to host the Offaly game which losing home advantage too is a farce as it's us the genuine paying fans who are getting punished anyways it is what it is

Hoping too travel too all the league games. Sadly have too miss the Cork game in June due to other things but I'm hoping were through too the All Ireland series by then but lots and lots of hurling before May/June

How's Ballygunners prep for the All Ireland going ?? They are really up for it Ballyhale are very strong

Ballygunner played WIT Fitz team on Sunday under lights in Fraher. Tough time of the year for getting challenge games. David O’Sullivan and Shane Walsh have joined up with the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

GAA website is still saying venue 'TBC' :confused:

I think there is a huge appetite out there for hurling in 2019. 2,000+ at a souped-up challenge match in early January? Incredible. Part of that is down to the championship-for-the-ages that was 2018 and part of it is, in Waterford at least, the blank slate that the new management team has. But I think the main reason is the new format. The prospect of constant hits of high-quality, meaningful games in the early summer is so much more tantalising than a not-quite knockout game followed by several weeks of sitting on your hands, and by 'sitting on your hands' I mean 'players going through interminable training sessions while the fans are sitting on their hands'. It's going to be great (edit: if we get our home games).

Attendance was just over 3,000 on Sunday. Mental really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Why does Thurles have to get every game? For example Wexford Park is geographically closer to both Ballygunner and Ballyhale, why not share the love for a change?
    The opening round of the league V Offaly will take place in Thurles on Sunday 27th Jan. Time TBC. Expect an announcement in the next week or so.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

Best place for the game really

No point to dragging us up too Port Laoise 2 weekends in a row

Never want too see The GG in Limerick again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Ballygunner played WIT Fitz team on Sunday under lights in Fraher. Tough time of the year for getting challenge games. David O’Sullivan and Shane Walsh have joined up with the panel.

Had they gone travelling in 2018?

Deise_2012 wrote: »

Not certain, possibly for some part of the year but as far as I’m aware they were in the country for much of the campaign and had just opted out. Both are fine hurlers but it’s a bit of a risk bringing in lads who had opted out at this stage, especially after such a fine win in the Munster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

Deise_2012 wrote: »

Can't speak for both but I know one of the players had work commitments somewhere in the middle east

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

BazBox wrote: »
    Can't speak for both but I know one of the players had work commitments somewhere in the middle east

Is dessie huch back also?

• Advertisement

Is dessie huch back also?

I think so ya. Another strange one considering he probably hasn’t hurled for the club since maybe minor due to soccer commitments.

Ballygunner could be adding to the squad for practice games and stuff

If they were to get to the AI final they would be back defending the titles in early/mid April. Not much of a rest at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

No harm at all bringing back two of last years starters to strengthen the bench at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭thesultan

Who is dessie hutch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

thesultan wrote: »
    Who is dessie hutch?

You a Kinahan?

Ballygunner panellists (AI Club series), Patrick Curren (hand), Conor Gleeson (Shoulder) and Darragh Fives (niggling injuries) are out for the first few rounds of the league at least

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Halt time in the harty cup. Dls 1-10 st colmans 0-6. Super stuff so far

Dls have won 1-14 to 0-14. Dls went 20 mins without a score in second half and Colmans got in top but crucial late points got the win for dls. Super game

Harty cup semi final, dls v Middleton. Heard Saturday 26th but that isn't confirmed yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Darragh Fives (niggling injuries)

He has no luck has he! Fair play to him on his commitment to getting back. Must be very frustrating.

• Advertisement

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Harty cup semi final, dls v Middleton. Heard Saturday 26th but that isn't confirmed yet

they should put it on before the Waterford/Offaly league game in Thurles but obv will not happen

Very good result for DLS Collage and hope they go on too win it now. Winning Harty cups in the past has shown for certain counties

they should put it on before the Waterford/Offaly league game in Thurles but obv will not happen

Very good result for DLS Collage and hope they go on too win it now. Winning Harty cups in the past has shown for certain counties

The Fraher field is the likely venue for the harty semi final, down the road for both schools and it's where they played the group game. Middleton put 7-15 on templemore in their quarter final so will be a big challenge for dls. But having beaten flannans and Colmans and drawn with Middleton they shouldn't lack confidence.

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    The Fraher field is the likely venue for the harty semi final, down the road for both schools and it's where they played the group game. Middleton put 7-15 on templemore in their quarter final so will be a big challenge for dls. But having beaten flannans and Colmans and drawn with Middleton they shouldn't lack confidence.

I knw Dermot Dooley is on the coaching team

Who else is ?? I knw Derek McGrath is not coaching any of the teams

Thought I heard Corks Mark Ellis is teaching in DLS

I knw Dermot Dooley is on the coaching team

Who else is ?? I knw Derek McGrath is not coaching any of the teams

Thought I heard Corks Mark Ellis is teaching in DLS
    Jonathan Moore abbyside

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

thesultan wrote: »
    Who is dessie hutch?

Wayne Hutchinsons younger brother who was over at Brighton for a few years, He would have most likely been on the 2013 Minor Hurling panel had he not turned to Football

JesusRef wrote: »
    Wayne Hutchinsons younger brother who was over at Brighton for a few years, He would have most likely been on the 2013 Minor Hurling panel had he not turned to Football

Plays for Waterford FC too

Plays for Waterford FC too

Played!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Good to hear DLS having a good year in the Harty. Waterford colleges have been poor at this grade in the last few years and unsurprisingly our minor county teams have been average enough.
    Any stand out names to look out for that'll likely make the county minor (u17?) team later in the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Did many of the current Limerick team go through Ard Scoil Rís? Although asking that does not imply that the Harty Cup should be viewed as being purely about producing inter-county hurlers. It's nice for a Waterford team to win it for itself.

• Advertisement

Like in 2017 Would they not of given us a run out in Croke Park before the Dublin vs Mayo football game on the 23rd Feb instead of playing our game in Parnell Park on the 24th Feb

Me thinks the fixtures were decided before the promotion change and the tighter pitch in PP would suite Dublin more for a chance at promotion than Croke Park. Anyway plenty of hurling too play before that game

Wow thinks are moving up in the world

Sun 21st Jan
    AI Club Junior Hurling Semi final
    Dunnamaggin (Kilkenny) v Cloughduv (Cork), Fraher Field, Dungarvan, 2pm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement