Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian Air Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Flew DUB-SWF-DUB recently, an almost brand new 737 Max on both legs. Seats were as comfortable as any Economy offering I've experienced in recent years. As I can sleep on a bed of nails, I was out for most of the 2 flights.
    Very compact and efficient Airport exited the plane and was outside Arrivals in less than 3 mins
    Decided to take the train from nearby Becon to Grand Central in NY very pleasant journey about 25/30 mins slower than the bus, but well worth it. Used the bus from NY Port Authority on the return leg, good value and once your clear of Manhattan it's very swift 70 mins overall journey time.
    Would I go SWF again, absolutely.
    I also used SWF this week, the flight was fine no complaints, but it took us about two hours on the bus from the airport to Manhattan, which did put me off, it was a very long journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Locker10a wrote: »
    I also used SWF this week, the flight was fine no complaints, but it took us about two hours on the bus from the airport to Manhattan, which did put me off, it was a very long journey.

The train from Becon (nearby town/Station) to Grand Central took 95mins and was absolutely stunning from a scenic point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Norwegian Air to reduce Dublin and Shannon services to US (via @IrishTimes) https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/norwegian-air-to-reduce-dublin-and-shannon-services-to-us-1.3711224

Not very promising news...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

ongarboy wrote: »
    For January-March..quietest months for air travel, nothing to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Norwegian were overly ambitious from the start, considering they were going to "shake things up" and "give Aer Lingus a run for their money" the overall operation has been a bit of a damp squib. This past year has seen them quickly realise they can only make things work on tried and tested markets, and even then it's only at a niche level. 

We'll see how they do next summer, particularly with the new Toronto route, and if they can build on it to make next winter less painful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MoeJay

Shn99 wrote: »
    For January-March..quietest months for air travel, nothing to worry about

From the fanfare of double daily flights out of Dublin and a year round service from Shannon to a reduction of 50% and a total cancellation only 7 weeks out shows that these services were not hitting their targets. Buried in the story is the detail that Shannon will not return to a daily service in the summer either:

He explained that the decision not to return Shannon to its original volume of flights in the busier season is due to a greater demand in Dublin. “Our route capacity is always based on demand in the market”.

Shannon in the winter is a tough nut to crack. Without feed or connection opportunity, Dublin isn’t easy either, even with “competitive” pricing. The competitors are not hurting as much as they thought they might!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Norwegian are offering fantastic value, and have helped to introduce some much needed competition into the transatlantic market. Long may it continue, i can't understand why people are hoping that they fail. They may have come into the market a little strong, but I think that they are a welcome addition and hopefully they get the time to establish themselves, get their offering 100% right and continue to carve out a market for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

MoeJay wrote: »
    From the fanfare of double daily flights out of Dublin and a year round service from Shannon to a reduction of 50% and a total cancellation only 7 weeks out shows that these services were not hitting their targets. Buried in the story is the detail that Shannon will not return to a daily service in the summer either:

He explained that the decision not to return Shannon to its original volume of flights in the busier season is due to a greater demand in Dublin. “Our route capacity is always based on demand in the market”.

Shannon in the winter is a tough nut to crack. Without feed or connection opportunity, Dublin isn’t easy either, even with “competitive” pricing. The competitors are not hurting as much as they thought they might!

Shannon was never planned on being daily in the summer, never. The fact that it was ever made daily for the winter, especially after they had market data from the year before when they operated it at 2pw, is quite frankly absurd.

However I cannot agree with Shn99 saying it is nothing to worry about. Simply speaking, suddenly dropping around 17 flights weekly with less than 2 month's notice is concerning for any airline, and is testiment to the struggles and short-sightedness that Norwegian have seemed to acquire lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,579 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Salmon wrote: »
    Norwegian are offering fantastic value, and have helped to introduce some much needed competition into the transatlantic market. Long may it continue, i can't understand why people are hoping that they fail. They may have come into the market a little strong, but I think that they are a welcome addition and hopefully they get the time to establish themselves, get their offering 100% right and continue to carve out a market for themselves.

I don’t think people are willing Norwegian to fail at all. But I do think that it’s fair to say that many people have doubts about how viable their long haul model is in terms of profitability - so far the results haven’t been great if one is honest about it. Sure it’s generating competition but if it’s not profitable, it’s not going to last.

Will IAG come to their rescue? We shall see.

On this schedule announcement, well changing the current schedule mid-season is never a good sign. That’s really getting things badly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,173 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wonder if IAG will do a Ryanair-style buy-em-to-shut-em-down thing.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Interesting indeed, on my flight to Stewart last week the crew I chatted to said all the rumours and inside news was that next summer Stewart will go x3 daily, Providence x2 daily in addition to Toronto.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Wonder if IAG will do a Ryanair-style buy-em-to-shut-em-down thing.

Process already under way. IAG have bought enough shares (5%?) to signal interest, thus getting a look at the books.

Norwegian now hiring crew for their Dublin base to start for next summer season

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Recently got one of these flights. 27 people flying out on the shannon flight. 49 flying back. Very clean very professional service. Bare bones with no TV. Not sure how profitable this is with such few numbers on the plane, especially as I would have thought new york planes would be rammed full at xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Recently got one of these flights. 27 people flying out on the shannon flight. 49 flying back. Very clean very professional service. Bare bones with no TV. Not sure how profitable this is with such few numbers on the plane, especially as I would have thought new york planes would be rammed full at xmas.

Same, I was on Providence to Dublin earlier this week and was flabbergasted at how low the numbers were.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,579 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

With those kind of loads it’s not profitable at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Not terribly uncommon at this time of year the first two weeks of December and the whole of January bar the first week are normally dead.

I've seen Aer Lingus fly a A330 with less than 100 onboard

Norwegian suffer as they don't have the base of business travel to sustain them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

We flew to Stewart for Thanksgiving a few weeks ago. I thought I'd give a complete review because a lot of people are still asking questions about the service and I still had loads before we went even though we fly to the US often enough. Hopefully it helps a few people out.

We arrived in the airport for the 8.10 am flight at around 5.15 am. The desk for Norwegian was empty. Delta and United were already packed. They didn't bother weighing our carry-on's but gave us stickers to say cabin bag approved. These were not checked at the gate either. They told us pre-clearence opens at 6.30 am so to be there for that time.

We went down to pre-clearence at around 6.20 am and there was already a number of people waiting outside the door to security. They opened the door for security at 6.30 and by that time there was already loads waiting behind us. They let us wait in the queue inside but didn't actually open security till 6.45. After we went through security we had to wait after the scanners until they opened the shutter for CBP at 7am. There was loads of us squished into the area waiting for it to open.

There was loads of people here already for other US flights. Norwegian is the first out at 8.10 followed by Newark at 9. There was loads in the queue around us for the Aer Lingus flight to JFK which isn't even till 10.50. I know you can go down to pre-clearence at any time but since all other flights aren't till about an hour or more after Norwegian, they really should have someone upstairs letting people through to USP in batches for flights. If you didn't get down early to queue for Norwegian you really would be pushed on time. I know they will probably call you through if your flight is soon but I wouldn't want that stress. We were in the first 10 people to be processed by CBP and we only made it to the gate 20 minutes before boarding. Barely enough time to fill out water bottles, use the toilet, go to the shop etc. If you are on this flight you really need to be down there queuing before it opens.

There is 1 water fountain after USP to fill water bottles. There's one shop, one bar and one small restaurant. If you have no food booked, you could either bring your own, pick something up there, or buy something on board. We brought our own food but next time I wont because we had so much stuff to carry on between tablets, powerbanks and food. I'll buy some snacks onboard next time, I wouldn't book a meal. Most people seemed to have meals booked but it looked disgusting.

Boarding was fine. We were made to wait outside the aircraft after going through for 10 minutes or so but that was because of US security. Norwegian took pretty good care of us. I have Crohn's Disease so I had to call special assistance to have them add medical supplies to my booking. I have to carry syringes in a separate cooler bag with ice. They also allocated us special assistance seats near the toilet (which I really needed on a long haul flight and was really grateful for) and they also allowed us to board the flight first by calling us, we didn't ask. Aer Lingus don't even do this. I was really impressed by this. For a budget airline, Norwegian offered the most I've seen for someone requiring special assistance that wasn't in a wheelchair or similar and we only asked for the extra carry on bag.

The flight was half full on the way over, and half full on the way back.
    Seats and legroom were standard. There were screens above every 5 rows or so that had different shows on them throughout the flight. They had no audio and subtitles only. We brought a tablet each onboard with Netflix already downloaded. As mentioned previously many times there is no power so we brought a powerbank. We didn't even need it in the end and we watched the whole flight. We didn't use them before boarding though. Food looked rotten as previously said. The food and snack menu was decent. It was as expensive as all other airlines, but it was all in USD instead of Euro. They accept card only.

Flight went by pretty quick. With the tablet to be honest I really didn't notice the difference between Norwegian and Aer Lingus. It wasn't uncomfortable and wasn't too small for either of us. We flew to Greece this year and that was 4.5 hours on a small plane. Your only going another few hours so I don't know why everyone thinks you have to fly on a big plane to the US. Honestly after flying with Norwegian I think people are mad to pay for Aer Lingus and normally I'd be pretty loyal to Aer Lingus. On arrival we were with my mother and brother in law in 5 minutes, the airport is so small. They were able to wait with us for the bag. Parking was only $3, when we used to fly to Newark it always cost them $8-$16 because it always took much longer for us to get out. Obviously we didn't take the bus, but it was already waiting outside for everyone when we landed.

My husband and his family are from the NY metropolitan area and it was their first time at that airport. They thought it was amazing and much easier than getting us from Newark. They also said anyone going into the city would be better off at that that airport in all honesty. They flew out of JFK for our wedding and said never again. After seeing Stewart they all said they would come again if flying from there. The bus only takes just over an hour. Your talking that from JFK with traffic anyway.

On the way back we arrived about 2.5 hours before our flight and we had loads of time. They did check bags on the way back and some people were taking stuff out. Bag check took a while because there was other flights. Security was pretty fast. There's one shop and a Quizno Sub before security. After security there's one toilet, one water fountain and a small duty free with perfume, chocolate cigarettes and alcohol. There's a small shop with I Love NY kind of stuff. There's a small "bar" which is two people behind a pop up counter with bottles to serve you. There's also a small place to get food serving pretzels, hot dogs, chicken dippers & chips etc.

It's pretty long but I've included most things I can remember. If anyone has any questions I'll try answer them.

We flew to Stewart for Thanksgiving a few weeks ago. I thought I'd give a complete review because a lot of people are still asking questions about the service and I still had loads before we went even though we fly to the US often enough. Hopefully it helps a few people out.

We arrived in the airport for the 8.10 am flight at around 5.15 am. The desk for Norwegian was empty. Delta and United were already packed. They didn't bother weighing our carry-on's but gave us stickers to say cabin bag approved. These were not checked at the gate either. They told us pre-clearence opens at 6.30 am so to be there for that time.

We went down to pre-clearence at around 6.20 am and there was already a number of people waiting outside the door to security. They opened the door for security at 6.30 and by that time there was already loads waiting behind us. They let us wait in the queue inside but didn't actually open security till 6.45. After we went through security we had to wait after the scanners until they opened the shutter for CBP at 7am. There was loads of us squished into the area waiting for it to open.

There was loads of people here already for other US flights. Norwegian is the first out at 8.10 followed by Newark at 9. There was loads in the queue around us for the Aer Lingus flight to JFK which isn't even till 10.50. I know you can go down to pre-clearence at any time but since all other flights aren't till about an hour or more after Norwegian, they really should have someone upstairs letting people through to USP in batches for flights. If you didn't get down early to queue for Norwegian you really would be pushed on time. I know they will probably call you through if your flight is soon but I wouldn't want that stress. We were in the first 10 people to be processed by CBP and we only made it to the gate 20 minutes before boarding. Barely enough time to fill out water bottles, use the toilet, go to the shop etc. If you are on this flight you really need to be down there queuing before it opens.

There is 1 water fountain after USP to fill water bottles. There's one shop, one bar and one small restaurant. If you have no food booked, you could either bring your own, pick something up there, or buy something on board. We brought our own food but next time I wont because we had so much stuff to carry on between tablets, powerbanks and food. I'll buy some snacks onboard next time, I wouldn't book a meal. Most people seemed to have meals booked but it looked disgusting.

Boarding was fine. We were made to wait outside the aircraft after going through for 10 minutes or so but that was because of US security. Norwegian took pretty good care of us. I have Crohn's Disease so I had to call special assistance to have them add medical supplies to my booking. I have to carry syringes in a separate cooler bag with ice. They also allocated us special assistance seats near the toilet (which I really needed on a long haul flight and was really grateful for) and they also allowed us to board the flight first by calling us, we didn't ask. Aer Lingus don't even do this. I was really impressed by this. For a budget airline, Norwegian offered the most I've seen for someone requiring special assistance that wasn't in a wheelchair or similar and we only asked for the extra carry on bag.

The flight was half full on the way over, and half full on the way back.
    Seats and legroom were standard. There were screens above every 5 rows or so that had different shows on them throughout the flight. They had no audio and subtitles only. We brought a tablet each onboard with Netflix already downloaded. As mentioned previously many times there is no power so we brought a powerbank. We didn't even need it in the end and we watched the whole flight. We didn't use them before boarding though. Food looked rotten as previously said. The food and snack menu was decent. It was as expensive as all other airlines, but it was all in USD instead of Euro. They accept card only.

Flight went by pretty quick. With the tablet to be honest I really didn't notice the difference between Norwegian and Aer Lingus. It wasn't uncomfortable and wasn't too small for either of us. We flew to Greece this year and that was 4.5 hours on a small plane. Your only going another few hours so I don't know why everyone thinks you have to fly on a big plane to the US. Honestly after flying with Norwegian I think people are mad to pay for Aer Lingus and normally I'd be pretty loyal to Aer Lingus. On arrival we were with my mother and brother in law in 5 minutes, the airport is so small. They were able to wait with us for the bag. Parking was only $3, when we used to fly to Newark it always cost them $8-$16 because it always took much longer for us to get out. Obviously we didn't take the bus, but it was already waiting outside for everyone when we landed.

My husband and his family are from the NY metropolitan area and it was their first time at that airport. They thought it was amazing and much easier than getting us from Newark. They also said anyone going into the city would be better off at that that airport in all honesty. They flew out of JFK for our wedding and said never again. After seeing Stewart they all said they would come again if flying from there. The bus only takes just over an hour. Your talking that from JFK with traffic anyway.

On the way back we arrived about 2.5 hours before our flight and we had loads of time. They did check bags on the way back and some people were taking stuff out. Bag check took a while because there was other flights. Security was pretty fast. There's one shop and a Quizno Sub before security. After security there's one toilet, one water fountain and a small duty free with perfume, chocolate cigarettes and alcohol. There's a small shop with I Love NY kind of stuff. There's a small "bar" which is two people behind a pop up counter with bottles to serve you. There's also a small place to get food serving pretzels, hot dogs, chicken dippers & chips etc.

It's pretty long but I've included most things I can remember. If anyone has any questions I'll try answer them.

I recently flew this route too, and agree with the above sentiments, all I can add is, in my experience the comfort of the flight was increased because the flight was half full and many people had a full row to themselves, including us.
    We had the food onboard, it was a full Irish type of breakfast and was actually very tasty. Similar to the one Aer Lingus sell on the buy on board on short haul. We thought it was worth it as like you say the CBP takes up a lot of time and actually by the time we got through CBP our flight was on “final call” so we didn’t have any time to shop.
    The worst part of the whole experience was the bus to New York. Boarding the bus and finding the correct one was chaotic, it wasn’t very organised and many people were wandering around asking each other the same questions, which bus is for where!? The journey to NY took us at least 2 hours maybe slightly longer, while the bus was comfortable this was really annoying, we were sick of sitting down for the flight and just wanted to get there.
    By comparison Penn station to JFK takes 45-50 mins. Trains leave Penn every 10-15 mins for Jamaica where you change to the JFK shuttle, it’s very very easy and quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

The worst part of the whole experience was the bus to New York. Boarding the bus and finding the correct one was chaotic, it wasn’t very organised and many people were wandering around asking each other the same questions, which bus is for where!? The journey to NY took us at least 2 hours maybe slightly longer, while the bus was comfortable this was really annoying, we were sick of sitting down for the flight and just wanted to get there.
    By comparison Penn station to JFK takes 45-50 mins. Trains leave Penn every 10-15 mins for Jamaica where you change to the JFK shuttle, it’s very very easy and quick.

Good to know about the bus. I've didn't take it as mentioned but when we got there there was only 1 bus at the terminal for New York. On the way back there was 3 though. They quote just over an hour for the bus online so would be interesting to know if you were just unlucky or if its always that unorganized.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

To add to my own comment I would fully recommend norwegian. Stewart airport is fantastic and you could be checked in and through security and at the gate in less than 5 mins. I found the journey to manhattan ok. The flights are for nothing (less than 100 euro). JFK is a nightmare, it's almost a battle royale to get there. I had a whole row of seats to sleep on. I'm over quite frequently for work so will be travelling this from now on. Hopefully the service persists, they need to advertise it better. I paid for an on board meal and it was very tasty. 8/10. Only downside was no movies but as mentioned above bring your iPad and kindle and you're laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,709 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Good to know about the bus. I've didn't take it as mentioned but when we got there there was only 1 bus at the terminal for New York. On the way back there was 3 though. They quote just over an hour for the bus online so would be interesting to know if you were just unlucky or if its always that unorganized.

The bus is the most hit and miss part of the whole thing for me, twice it's been waiting outside for us, but even then it's a good while before it leaves. Twice it's been delayed and it's been nearly 3 hours between landing and getting off at Port authority. It normally takes about 90 minutes but you've always got the coin toss that is the Lincoln tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Stewart is a kip. It’s like a lot of the regional military airfields Ryanair serve. Security queue ran the length of the terminal when I was there. Fine for arriving but not somewhere to spend a couple of hours when departing.
    Providence is a lot bigger.

“Norwegian Air, a popular discount carrier that offers budget airfares to a handful of destinations in the United States, is reportedly on the brink of collapse. According to several Norwegian news sources, the carrier faces a mountain of debt payments that are due by the end of the month”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/grantmartin/2018/12/22/discount-carrier-norwegian-air-faces-collapse-by-years-end/amp/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

“Norwegian Air, a popular discount carrier that offers budget airfares to a handful of destinations in the United States, is reportedly on the brink of collapse. According to several Norwegian news sources, the carrier faces a mountain of debt payments that are due by the end of the month”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/grantmartin/2018/12/22/discount-carrier-norwegian-air-faces-collapse-by-years-end/amp/

It's secured enough funding for now to keep going

https://www.newsinenglish.no/2018/12/24/norwegian-air-buys-itself-some-time/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Seems like every so often they manage "to buy themselves more time". It's only a matter of time before the house of cards comes down with the amount of risks they are exposed to between general economic conditions, exposure to fuel prices etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Their business plan appears to be to cut costs, sale and leaseback of existing assets and to resell the new Boeing aircraft that haven't yet been delivered. Quite how Boeing will react to this hasn't been determined. Presumably some retrenchment and cancellation of loss making routes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

To add to their woes one of their brand new 737 max planes is stranded in Iran after an emergency landing on a flight from Dubai to Oslo. Issue getting parts because of US sanctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,173 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A good rule of thumb imho is "don't overfly any country you wouldn't be happy to land in."

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Do you think its safe to book with Norwegian for September with all the news of their money problems?

Advertisement