Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian Air Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Idbatterim wrote: »
    IF they are consolidating , would they not launch new routes on already popular routes, like Dublin to Edinburgh / Glasgow and use this to also feed their Dublin hub etc...

Going into direct competition with Aer Lingus and Ryanair on the UK regions would be another nail in the coffin. Describing their Dublin operation as a hub is a stretch to say the least, trying to market it as such would be difficult at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

The SNN aircraft could easily do a service each to Europe with the ground time they currently have between trans Atlantic rotations. It's surprising they haven't looked at it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

BZ wrote: »
    The SNN aircraft could easily do a service each to Europe with the ground time they currently have between trans Atlantic rotations. It's surprising they haven't looked at it yet.

Is that why they do Dublin to Stockholm, Dublin to Oslo some days every week? Out of interest.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Same with the ORK service, which lies around for 8 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,126 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is that why they do Dublin to Stockholm, Dublin to Oslo some days every week? Out of interest.

Those routes pre-existed the TATL service by years and I don't think its the same airframe either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

L1011 wrote: »
    Those routes pre-existed the TATL service by years and I don't think its the same airframe either.

They are\were T2 for TransAtlantic and T1 for European flights. Don’t understand that either (I know why they are in T2 for the preclearance but keeping an operation in T1 seems silly)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭billie1b

They are\were T2 for TransAtlantic and T1 for European flights. Don’t understand that either (I know why they are in T2 for the preclearance but keeping an operation in T1 seems silly)

All Norwegian flights are T2 now that last few months

The Cork flights were meant to come with a Barcelona tag on but that never happened for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The Cork flights were meant to come with a Barcelona tag on but that never happened for some reason.

That was ages back and never realistic, the plan was originally BCN-ORK-JFK/BOS on a 787 but that was always only political bait for the license. People still fell for that transparent trick in their masses though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

They don’t have a SNN crew base which they’d need in order to do that ! Or else over night and position in crew to SNN which is just complicated

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »

That was ages back and never realistic, the plan was originally BCN-ORK-JFK/BOS on a 787 but that was always only political bait for the license. People still fell for that transparent trick in their masses though.

Exactly. As the Aer Lingus CEO put it today, "there's been a lot of talk, and a lot of red ink" when asked about long haul low cost carriers like Norwegian.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

BFS management weren't happy: http://www.irishnews.com/news/2018/09/25/news/belfast-international-slams-norwegian-air-as-airline-pulls-north-american-flights-1441467/

Edit: (added exact statement)
    dybfs_13bdf72a68a778d0bd78a96d21a567c2f0512c00.png

Who would expect such petulance from an established company? Something you'd expect from trump. Reflects poorly, and strongly disincentives any further investment in routes in BFS.

If they wanted to practically hand the competition their future market, they've made a good start.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

JCX BXC wrote: »
    BFS management weren't happy: http://www.irishnews.com/news/2018/09/25/news/belfast-international-slams-norwegian-air-as-airline-pulls-north-american-flights-1441467/

Edit: (added exact statement)
    dybfs_13bdf72a68a778d0bd78a96d21a567c2f0512c00.png

Who would expect such petulance from an established company? Something you'd expect from trump. Reflects poorly, and strongly disincentives any further investment in routes in BFS.

If they wanted to practically hand the competition their future market, they've made a good start.
    I sincerely hope for the sake of everyone involved that yesterday was bring your 6 year old to work day and he somehow managed to get access to the email account.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,126 ✭✭✭✭L1011

BFS management are known to be quite odd. DUP funders too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Irish Times quoted as saying Norwegian carried 250000 transatlantic pax from Dublin since launch 14 months ago and are very pleased with the demand. Obviously, Edinburgh and Belfast didn't come near that if they were scrapped

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Any figures on how the Cork routes are faring? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Any figures on how the Cork routes are faring? Thanks in advance.

17M07 17M08 17M09 17M10 17M11 17M12 18M01
    3,394 3,838 2,438 2,331 2,020 2,084 1,281

18M02 18M03 18M04 18M05
    1,481 2,327 2,815 3,559

No wonder it was made summer seasonal. In the winter months it wasn't even half full on average, much better in the peak summer but weak in the shoulder months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Has anyone flown with them from Gatwick to Buenos Aires?

I just put in my dates and the price came up as €688.95

When I added in the extras, €35 for a seat, €40 for a bag and €35 for a meal (all extras x 2 for both legs), the grand total works out as €908.95 :(

That's before I add in the flight from Dublin to Gatwick.

KLM from DUB-AMS-EZE return comes to 805.29

+80 for bag
    +40 for seat

Total 925.29

I thought they were meant to be low cost carrier :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Has anyone flown with them from Gatwick to Buenos Aires?

I just put in my dates and the price came up as €688.95

When I added in the extras, €35 for a seat, €40 for a bag and €35 for a meal (all extras x 2 for both legs), the grand total works out as €908.95 :(

That's before I add in the flight from Dublin to Gatwick.

KLM from DUB-AMS-EZE return comes to 805.29

+80 for bag
    +40 for seat

Total 925.29

I thought they were meant to be low cost carrier :confused:

I have noticed ex UK their prices seem to be almost the same as BA, Virgin etc. If you buy the lowfare+ it includes your bag, seat and meal its cheaper than buying them all separately. I flew them to JFK last year paying the lowfate+ price you only get a free drink when its meal time otherwise you have to pay for all drinks and snacks that you would get free on a normal airline. For me the price was good at the time but now I see BA's prices are better.

Am looking to go to Los Angeles in April but finding Air New Zeland cheaper than Norwegian. I vote with my wallet.

• Advertisement

jjbrien wrote: »
    I have noticed ex UK their prices seem to be almost the same as BA, Virgin etc. If you buy the lowfare+ it includes your bag, seat and meal its cheaper than buying them all separately. I flew them to JFK last year paying the lowfate+ price you only get a free drink when its meal time otherwise you have to pay for all drinks and snacks that you would get free on a normal airline. For me the price was good at the time but now I see BA's prices are better.

Am looking to go to Los Angeles in April but finding Air New Zeland cheaper than Norwegian. I vote with my wallet.

Ah right, I'll try that later and see if it makes a difference.

Is the IFE free? I've also read that the seats don't adjust either, any truth to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Ah right, I'll try that later and see if it makes a difference.

Is the IFE free? I've also read that the seats don't adjust either, any truth to that?

The IFE is free and you can recline your seat on the 787. How long is that trip? If your going to do it make sure you buy some snacks and drinks before you jump on the plane.

jjbrien wrote: »
    The IFE is free and you can recline your seat on the 787. How long is that trip? If your going to do it make sure you buy some snacks and drinks before you jump on the plane.

It's about 13 hours :(

Unless Norwegian prices drop a fair bit I'll use a different airline. Ideally I'd prefer a route via Lisbon or Madrid as it may shave an hour or so off the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,988 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Independent has a review of Ork-Pvd
    Thomas flew as a guest of Norwegian

Oscar Wilde to be the second Irishman on a tail fin - of a 737 Max and a 787 Dreamliner

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Had anyone any tips or advice for flying to Stewart? Some family are using the service soon and was wondering about getting down town. Am I right in thinking there are busses linked to flight arrivals? Even in the event of delays? How soon after landing would the bus typically wait ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Locker10a wrote: »
    Had anyone any tips or advice for flying to Stewart? Some family are using the service soon and was wondering about getting down town. Am I right in thinking there are busses linked to flight arrivals? Even in the event of delays? How soon after landing would the bus typically wait ?

Flew in there last year, we had the bus pre booked and it was literally outside the front door waiting, not sure if this is the norm or if we were lucky. It’s a small airport, we got through very quickly.

Bus ride in was about 90 minutes iirc. I can’t remember exactly which bus provider we used but when we booked it you selected which flight you were on, Norwegian seem to recommend them and I think you can even book it through their site so I assume it’ll wait if there is a delay.

I’d fly with them again if the price is right. The long bus ride is a pain after a transatlantic flight but it was significantly cheaper than all other options that I checked at the time.

Flight itself was fine but it was freezing in the cabin, particularly on the way back, we were exhausted but it was so cold we kept waking up shivering. Mentioned it to the attendants (along with several others near me) and they said they’d see what they could do but it didn’t get any warmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mikel97

Locker10a wrote: »

Really good bus connection just over 1 hour. Easy just outside terminal from getting off plane to leaving terminal with a checked bag about 15 minutes. Bus waits. Ive used it 5 times

https://web.coachusa.com/info/shortline/ss.stewartairportexpress.asp?nt=1

Norwegian pushing Pvd more
    zvPGwrI.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Flew DUB-SWF-DUB recently, an almost brand new 737 Max on both legs. Seats were as comfortable as any Economy offering I've experienced in recent years. As I can sleep on a bed of nails, I was out for most of the 2 flights.
    Very compact and efficient Airport exited the plane and was outside Arrivals in less than 3 mins
    Decided to take the train from nearby Becon to Grand Central in NY very pleasant journey about 25/30 mins slower than the bus, but well worth it. Used the bus from NY Port Authority on the return leg, good value and once your clear of Manhattan it's very swift 70 mins overall journey time.
    Would I go SWF again, absolutely.

Advertisement