Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian Air Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

PreCocious wrote: »
    Travelled Cork > Providence on Thanksgiving and back on Saturday.

Agree with the points made by Premier Man.

Because of Thanksgiving and Saturday the train wasn't running from the airport so I used Peter Ban buses - $66.50 return to Boston South Station. Took 1.5 hours, bus had free wifi and was comfortable though the return bus was more modern.

We had a 737-800 outwards so wifi was available (it was nice being able to tweet over Greenland) but a 737 MAX on the return which meant no wifi . Service was fine and needless the say the planes were in excellent condition. Onboard snack prices were the same as any other airline. There are videos shown on drop down screens but these are subtitled as there isn't any audio.

Providence airport is small so we moved through quite quickly. Border control was fast enough. On the return the TSA queue was minimal and they were calm and not stressed out (none of the roaring and shouting that you get in busier airports).

On both legs I was unable to connect to the free wifi in Providence airport on either of my devices. There are plenty of food places airside but do avoid Johnny Rockets - despite a longish wait for my order it was served totally cold. A number of other folk were giving out as well.

Both legs were around half-full as I mentioned on another thread the flight home had 86 on board.

I hope it survives - it's a good service, flying between relaxed airports and at a great price.

Could yourself and the other poster post these reviews on the cork airport thread too on the cork forum..unfortuately there is a lack of postive post there

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

A poster there mentioned his fare was half that of the lowest are lingus one. If they are struggling for profitability. Do they really need to be 50% cheaper than aer lingus ? Wouldn't 25-30% do the job?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Idbatterim wrote: »
    A poster there mentioned his fare was half that of the lowest are lingus one. If they are struggling for profitability. Do they really need to be 50% cheaper than aer lingus ? Wouldn't 25-30% do the job?!

They need to sell them at whatever price fills the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Lower prices will build up a market quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

Also perhaps they've found that if the prices were only ~20% less, then a much larger number of people would chose instead to fly with the airlines with bags/meals/entertainment/blanket included that fly to the more traditional convenient central airports rather than the secondary airports Norwegian fly to, and that at only a ~20% saving people chose the more familar brand.

Airlines have whole departments dedicated to pricing tickets to get the best return per seat, so likely the 50% lower prices were the highest they could sell them off for, even if it meant they were loss making. Also need to take into account that on top of those tickets the airline will also get extra revenue for bags, meals etc, so overall they may really only be getting 20% less in total once the extras are added in, and still appearing at the top of the search list when arranged by cheapest flights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

mikel97 wrote: »

I'm waiting for the "how come Shannon got extra flights and we didn't" comments :d

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Shn99 wrote: »
    mikel97 wrote: »

I'm waiting for the "how come Shannon got extra flights and we didn't" comments :d

What if EI use it as excuse to pull out to get better profitable or use of a 757 from DUB

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I think there's more to that analysis than face value - as DUB is considered "marginal" apparently. Explains why they are opening a crew base and the service is far more frequent than ORK :pac:

This report is flawed.

Bjorn Kos stated that Dublin was one of their strongest performing bases in an interview some time ago. He also stated that Shannon-Stewart outperformed Dublin-Stewart. Nothing mentioned about Cork im afraid

Here is a quote from the report....proving its flawed

"Once again the stronger performing markets tend to be based on fewer observations. For example, transatlantic routes from Rome operated in November and December only. Bergen flew between July and September and Cork in July, October and November."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This report is flawed.

Bjorn Kos stated that Dublin was one of their strongest performing bases in an interview some time ago. He also stated that Shannon-Stewart outperformed Dublin-Stewart. Nothing mentioned about Cork im afraid

Here is a quote from the report....proving its flawed

"Once again the stronger performing markets tend to be based on fewer observations. For example, transatlantic routes from Rome operated in November and December only. Bergen flew between July and September and Cork in July, October and November."
    Regarding Cork,

even still, it omits the high load month of August and includes two quieter months of October and November.

This is a wild guess, and I could be wrong, but perhaps the route makes the most profit as its the most expensive? At the end of the day Norwegian has a monopoly from Cork. feel free to correct me

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭A319er

Another forum says reduced schedule S18 ex DUB to Providence ,
    Not sure if D8 have settled on S18 schedules yet but signs they are
    Seeking to maximise prophet elsewhere than Dub so maybe Cork
    Will benefit, certainly less competition,

SNN S18 has quite a drop in planned scheduled TATL capacity so maybe a chance fir more D8 capacity?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

This is a wild guess, and I could be wrong, but perhaps the route makes the most profit as its the most expensive? At the end of the day Norwegian has a monopoly from Cork. feel free to correct me

yes that would be my logic too. No competition from Cork...

A319er wrote:
    SNN S18 has quite a drop in planned scheduled TATL capacity so maybe a chance fir more D8 capacity?

Loss of ORD service but that's about it. I think American are running a longer season again?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭A319er

Did I not read DL will be a smaller aircraft thus summer ex SNN?

A319er wrote:
    Did I not read DL will be a smaller aircraft thus summer ex SNZn ?
    True though it featured more than originally planned this summer anyway if I remember right

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Not a particularly large drop, Delta using smaller aircraft (757 as opposed to 767) and United cutting Chicago, but you have an increase by American and Norwegian as well as a new Air Canada route so not such a large drop overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

A319er wrote: »
    Another forum says reduced schedule S18 ex DUB to Providence ,
    Not sure if D8 have settled on S18 schedules yet but signs they are
    Seeking to maximise prophet elsewhere than Dub so maybe Cork
    Will benefit, certainly less competition,

Looks like DUB has been revised back to the same 2017 schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Looks like DUB has been revised back to the same 2017 schedule.

What has been dropped?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    What has been dropped?

They planned to have Boston as daily but will remain as 5 weekly like last year.
    ____

Little observation, they have removed the B737 info when you first view the booking on the website!

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    They planned to have Boston as daily but will remain as 5 weekly like last year.
    ____

Little observation, they have removed the B737 info when you first view the booking on the website!

Doesn’t show for SNN ORK either

Norwegian Stats for OCT17

Providence - TF Green (PVD),USA:

Dublin (DUB),Republic Of Ireland: 5,213
    Cork (ORK),Republic Of Ireland: 2,331
    Shannon (SNN),Republic Of Ireland: 1,830

Newburgh Stewart (SWF),USA:

Dublin (DUB),Republic Of Ireland: 8,984
    Shannon (SNN),Republic Of Ireland: 2,395

July-October

Dublin: 60,213
    Shannon: 20,554
    Cork: 12,001

• Registered Users Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭hynesie08

www.her.ie/amp/life/norwegian-air-to-387981

Adding a second daily flight from Dublin, ignoring the obvious gimmick of one day shopping trips, I think the Woodbury common shuttle could be a bonus, either land and get the shopping done before hitting Manhattan, or head out on the last day and get dropped to the airport.

Hopefully this is a decision based on a successful first year, and not an attempt to double down because of losses.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    www.her.ie/amp/life/norwegian-air-to-387981

Hopefully this is a decision based on a successful first year, and not an attempt to double down because of losses.

Losses ? What losses ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Losses ? What losses ?

It's earlier in this thread, they made massive losses, but a large part of that was due to outright buying so many aircraft. I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable posters can explain it better than me.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    It's earlier in this thread, they made massive losses, but a large part of that was due to outright buying so many aircraft. I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable posters can explain it better than me.

Sorry I was wondering whether you meant in general or Dublin route losses.

NAI made a loss due to start up costs and mostly due to the US dragging their feet over approving their operation. NAX still made a profit larger than NAIs loss.

NAXs biggest issue is buying too many new aircraft outright rather than leasing them. They own shares in a large bank and are very liquid, to the tune of billions of euro. Worst comes to the worst they can sell and lease back the aircraft. The next thing that stung was late delivery of 787’s and Max’s causing them to have to lease in aircraft for already announced routes. Don’t forget the leases to cover the engine replacement issues on the Trent’s. Remember many said NAX were going to fail over the winter, yet they haven’t and are shown to be in good health.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Flew SWF-SNN last Wednesday and returned yesterday. I thought it was excellent service for the price. No complaints at all about Check-in, staff, flight and the cabin crew were great. Of course you have to go in knowing there's extra if you want to check in luggage and a meal etc. Both ways the flights were about 2/3rds full. Flight was 7:40 coming back due to headwinds. As for SWF, it's a breeze for me as I live in Connecticut. Just over an hour away, parking about 150 feet from the door and much cheaper compared to parking at JFK. I hope the service will continue as I will certainly use it again soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 doc18

I've flown Norwegian four times in the last two months and agree with others that the service is excellent for the price. The cabin crew and pilots were very professional and friendly. I would be concerned about their long-term viability however as all my flights were far from full. I flew PVD-DUB-PVD last week and there were no more than 40 on board each way and my other flights before that were only 2/3 full.
    I would recommend PVD as it's a nice alternative to BOS. Easy train journey and very small airport.

Advertisement