Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian Air Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Yes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

jjbrien wrote: »
    Do you think its safe to book with Norwegian for September with all the news of their money problems?

It’s hard to say, they’ve received financing for I think the first half of 2019. After that who knows, they’ll probably be fine but may be bought out or have a serious culling of routes and aircraft if things don’t improve

• Registered Users Posts: 33,980 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Do you think its safe to book with Norwegian for September with all the news of their money problems?

With a credit card, you can charge back if a seller goes bust, with a debit card you can't.

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

With a credit card, you can charge back if a seller goes bust, with a debit card you can't.

Are you sure about that? I've done plenty of chargeback a on debit cards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Getting back your money is one thing. Trying to find a replacement ticket for a comparable price at short notice is another matter.

• Advertisement

Are you sure about that? I've done plenty of chargeback a on debit cards

Have you done it from a company which has gone bust though?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Fred78

Definitely yes...and this is inside info...i work for them...all this info before xmas was only media speculation!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Have you done it from a company which has gone bust though?

Legal protection is identical - on Irish cards. Its not normal to be the same in other countries

I would always recommend using an actual credit card from an actual bank for booking travel, not debit cards, prepaid or online bank cards.

Didn't know that. I do know that there is a difference between debit and credit cards in the UK.

Life ain't always empty.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Just to add I flew Shannon to Stewart back in November. I was very happy with the service and will use them again. I hope they keep operation as its a great option if you want no frills travel at a good price.

If Aer Lingus didn't have such high prices to book a 1 way long haul flight I would use them for suitable dates. They are not alone but I hope this will change in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/16/reuters-america-update-1-norwegian-air-to-shut-some-bases-and-axe-routes-to-cut-costs.html

Did I read this correctly? Providence and Stewart bases to be dropped by Norwegian? How does this affect Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

ongarboy wrote: »
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/16/reuters-america-update-1-norwegian-air-to-shut-some-bases-and-axe-routes-to-cut-costs.html

Did I read this correctly? Providence and Stewart bases to be dropped by Norwegian? How does this affect Dublin?

Irish routes are safe
    https://www.rte.ie/amp/1023693/?__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I think only within 120 days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Shn99 wrote: »

But the article on CNBC says they are shutting their bases at Providence and Stewart

The airliner will close its bases in Palma de Mallorca, Gran Canaria, and Tenerife in Spain, as well as in Stewart and Providence in the United States. It would also shut the 737 base at Rome's Fiumicino airport but keep its Dreamliner base there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

kub wrote: »
    But the article on CNBC says they are shutting their bases at Providence and Stewart

The airliner will close its bases in Palma de Mallorca, Gran Canaria, and Tenerife in Spain, as well as in Stewart and Providence in the United States. It would also shut the 737 base at Rome's Fiumicino airport but keep its Dreamliner base there.

They have staff based in Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

kub wrote: »

From what I heard, the base in SWF is manned by a contract company, not sure about the other bases you mention if they even have any staff there...probably not, apart from FCO perhaps.

It says flights in and out of Ireland not affected. The last thing this Airline needs is potential customers worried they will pull flights

Limpy wrote: »
    It says flights in and out of Ireland not affected. The last thing this Airline needs is potential customers worried they will pull flights

The Dublin base will essentially close in September, when it will be reduced to 1 aircraft based

Locker10a wrote: »
    The Dublin base will essentially close in September, when it will be reduced to 1 aircraft based

Pulling routes is OK once the flights are not out for sale. It's a no brainer reducing the flights as they were half full. I hope this will steady the ship.

Limpy wrote: »
    Pulling routes is OK once the flights are not out for sale. It's a no brainer reducing the flights as they were half full. I hope this will steady the ship.

With 1 aircraft over the winter, and no US based crew/aircraft for the Irish routes it will be a very bare bones schedule from Ireland this winter, couple of flights a week at best

• Advertisement

Where was your source for that? Closure Sept. 2019?

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Where was your source for that? Closure Sept. 2019?

It won’t fully close, it will be decimated to 1 aircraft. Source is internal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭roadmaster

i have used them a fair bit as where they fly in new york is handy for work. I have to book a few flights for next August & September,if they go belly up will i get a refund or is it a case of to bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I imagine the Cork and Shannon flights will very likely get the chop from mid September too.

It won’t fully close, it will be decimated to 1 aircraft. Source is internal

Ah ok, i'm sure that 1 aircraft will disappear also.. And with Brexit they are really in serious trouble...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

They are in serious trouble as their business model is flawed and yields are poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

basill wrote: »
    They are in serious trouble as their business model is flawed and yields are poor.

So many companies have tried and failed down through the years, you can't really do Low Cost Long Haul and Norwegian are not really low-cost if you add on baggage etc. and you figure in the additional transportation costs from Stewart also compared to the closer Proximity of Newark and JFK to New York; its popular with the price conscious Irish immigrants there but I wonder how they make money really.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

its cheaper to get to Manhattan from Stewart than from JFK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Would anyone advise booking with them at the moment? Looking at flights to Boston during the summer and Providence is tempting

As an aside TAP are giving me some great deals routing through LIS this summer, has a layover obviously but some of the extra price conscious market that Norwegian target might be swayed..

• Advertisement

Would anyone advise booking with them at the moment? Looking at flights to Boston during the summer and Providence is tempting

As an aside TAP are giving me some great deals routing through LIS this summer, has a layover obviously but some of the extra price conscious market that Norwegian target might be swayed..
    It will probably be ok for the summer, but I wouldn’t be surprised if schedules change or are altered/cut more between now and then

Advertisement