Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

22 syrian families arrive in ireland, then what?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I presume you reported them for drink driving??

Their driver was outside waiting for them.

So I don't think she was drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MarkHenderson

nthclare wrote: »
    Sometimes we have to filter out our own nuts too.
    There during the Christmas, I went into a takeaway in a village in the Clare, there's a few brothers working there.

They do amazing food, and are very hygienic.
    I love halal beef, it's very tasty and healthy.

These guys come in pissed, started taking the piss out of the guys cooking and serving them up food.
    Bringing up slightly hostile conversations about the middle East and how come you boy's aren't gone home for Christmas etc

Anyhow these ignorant guys came out of a 181 Landover, spoke with elequent posh Dublin accents and probably have fairly good education and life experience.

The guy's in the takeaway politely informed them they'ed love to go home for Christmas, but they're busy feeding the locals.
    And in Peshawar Christmas is huge and everyone gets involved in the festivities....

Irony huh

Of course you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Already happening in small pockets in Dublin anyway. Now is the time to deal with the..

......hate.

Who exactly is doing the cheap labour jobs for you. The toilet cleaners, the hospital puke cleaners, the bin men, deliverydoo, fastfood....

And where exactly would you allow them live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Chinasea wrote: »
    Who exactly is doing the cheap labour jobs for you. The toilet cleaners, the hospital puke cleaners, the bin men, deliverydoo, fastfood....

These low-skilled jobs are currently filled by the low-skilled.

Yes perhaps many migrants, but locals also. Many are on zero-hours contracts and according an OECD study - there is an estimated 46% probability that the average worker's job would be automated by the 2030s.

There will be much higher percent replacement rate for these low-skilled manual roles, who will either have to spend years re-training, or signup to some future welfare-based UBI.

"Varadkar warns that robots and artificial intelligence pose risk to people's jobs'

https://www.thejournal.ie/leo-varadkar-robots-ai-4417634-Dec2018/
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/1122/1012550-future_jobs_summit/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

These low-skilled jobs are currently filled by the low-skilled.

Yes perhaps many migrants, but locals also. Many are on zero-hours contracts and according an OECD study - there is an estimated 46% probability that the average worker's job would be automated by the 2030s.

There will be much higher percent replacement rate for these low-skilled manual roles, who will either have to spend years re-training, or signup to some future welfare-based UBI.

"Varadkar warns that robots and artificial intelligence pose risk to people's jobs'

https://www.thejournal.ie/leo-varadkar-robots-ai-4417634-Dec2018/
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/1122/1012550-future_jobs_summit/

Can you link that OECD study please.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Snake was posting opinion pieces from that scummy moron Richard Spencer.

I did nothing of the sort, are you completely incapable of debating the issue without outright lies and childish snipes?

I note you had no argument against the content of my post, but then, the facts indeed are hard to argue with so I understand why you might revert to ad hominems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Snake was posting opinion pieces from that scummy moron Richard Spencer.

I did nothing of the sort, are you completely incapable of debating the issue without outright lies and childish snipes?

I note you had no argument against the content of my post, but then, the facts indeed are hard to argue with so I understand why you might revert to ad hominems.
    You did. Not in this thread. Put me back on ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

What a disgusting comment, but then that's typical of the hard left, you cannot debate the issue, cannot argue against statistical evidence, all you can do is throw insults and childish snipes, I pity you and those of your ilk.

Is it much different than posters posting about Muslim attacks as an argument against immigration?

Can you link that OECD study please.

The 46% figure was referenced in the rte new link above, and appears in many articles such as https://www.information-age.com/oecd-automation-job-123473074 ain't got time to dig out links to every press release OECD issue.

It's safe to assume the jobs at risk will be minimum of 30-50% as a ballpark figure (see also the PWC report), both empahasis that 'young males without higher education' will be most affected.

So yes some low-paid migrants working as toilet cleaners, fruit pickers and street sweepers are very useful (currently) for tasks natives won't do, but this will all become automated by 2030.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

The 46% figure was referenced in the rte new link above, and appears in many articles such as https://www.information-age.com/oecd-automation-job-123473074 ain't got time to dig out links to every press release OECD issue.

It's safe to assume the jobs at risk will be minimum of 30-50% as a ballpark figure (see also the PWC report), both empahasis that 'young males without higher education' will be most affected.

So yes some low-paid migrants working as toilet cleaners, fruit pickers and street sweepers are very useful (currently) for tasks natives won't do, but this will all become automated by 2030.

If it appears in that many articles can you link it please.
    I’m not trying to catch you out I’m just genuinely interested in this report/study but I can’t seem to find it.
    If you could post it here I would be grateful, thanks.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement

If it appears in that many articles can you link it please.
    I’m not trying to catch you out I’m just genuinely interested in this report/study but I can’t seem to find it.
    If you could post it here I would be grateful, thanks.

Ain't got the time pal, they release hugh amounts of reports, or ask RTE and others, where they got the figure from.

Sure read the PWC one in the meantime.
    https://www.pwc.co.uk/services/economics-policy/insights/the-impact-of-automation-on-jobs.html

They calculate 44% of workers with low education will be a risk by the mid 2030's. Young males are most at risk as they don't have much valuable work experience, and the one industry that isn't at large risk (nurse/medical/carers) is female dominated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Is it much different than posters posting about Muslim attacks as an argument against immigration?

I did follow up by stating that it doesn't mean I view all the racists on here as potential Breiviks. I've worked with a fair few Muslims over the years, pretty diverse in terms of religious viewpoints. Some were basically as a-la-carte as the average Irish Catholic.

I'm sure some had extreme views but to use another example, I was speaking to a former classmate about two years back. He expressed incredibly racist views, said some pretty horrendous thing about women who support abortions and was just an all round nasty guy. But I would never claim he represented Catholics with that ****e.

It just confounds me that people are dumb enough to label a large proportion of the world's population as terrorist in waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

batgoat wrote: »
    It just confounds me that people are dumb enough to label a large proportion of the world's population as terrorist in waiting.

Can you tell me what percentage of Muslims think that these terror attacks are justified? I've read it could up to 23% is that correct?

I did not, and you know I did not, if I did such a thing you would revel in being able to quote this mythical post of mine, why persist in the lies? It's childish.

And as for putting you on ignore, why would I do such a thing when it only enables you to post your cowardly lies without me having the ability to show my fellow posters what a fraud you are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 255 ✭✭PuppyMcPupFace

Can you tell me what percentage of Muslims think that these terror attacks are justified? I've read it could up to 23% is that correct?

I'm sure someone has a link to a report but the Charlie Hebdo murders garnered something like that yes, perhaps higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I did not, and you know I did not, if I did such a thing you would revel in being able to quote this mythical post of mine, why persist in the lies? It's childish.

And as for putting you on ignore, why would I do such a thing when it only enables you to post your cowardly lies without me having the ability to show my fellow posters what a liar you are.
    You know where that thread is, don't you.

You did. Lie all about it you want. Anyway you'll be doing it soon enough again I'd say.

When you post white supremacist content, it does get read. Scuttle away now.

yes

Can you tell me why? Why is it OK to assume a person is a danger, or even just undesirable, because they come from a country that is predominately Muslim? Why is it OK to assume their religious and political beliefs are congruent with terrorists but it's not OK to associate a person who expressly states the same beliefs as a terrorist with terrorism?

I'm sure someone has a link to a report but the Charlie Hebdo murders garnered something like that yes, perhaps higher.

That would be a big part of the worlds population. I'm confounded about his confoundedness as to why people are dumb for thinking that.

Could his opinion be dumb and everyone else is just way smarter than he is. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

You did. Lie all about it you want. Anyway you'll be doing it soon enough again I'd say.

Maybe it was his mate who has an almost identical username as him, barring one letter. They're usually spotted in these types of threads together. Easy mistake to make if it was.

Can you tell me why? Why is it OK to assume a person is a danger, or even just undesirable, because they come from a country that is predominately Muslim? Why is it OK to assume their religious and political beliefs are congruent with terrorists but it's not OK to associate a person who expressly states the same beliefs as a terrorist with terrorism?

Because those who commit acts of terror are not alone, despite the "lone wolf" bull**** we're asked to buy.

They're supported by at least 1 in 4 or more of the others of their "faith" who think what they're doing is okay.

• Advertisement

You're a child, quote one single post of mine in any thread where I linked to Richard Spencer as you have foolishly claimed... but you won't, because you simply can't as I never have, not once, on any thread. Go on, post this fabled post of mine, prove you're not a spoofer.

You've embarrassed yourself, you admitted you believed I had you on ignore which is exactly why you felt free to post such lies about me without my knowledge and without my ability to address your lies. Cowardly.

Now run off and troll someone else, you post lies about me any further and I will show you up as the fraud you are.

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Maybe it was his mate who has an almost identical username as him, barring one letter. They're usually spotted in these types of threads together. Easy mistake to make if it was.

But it wasn't a mistake, winniethepoo claimed I linked to Richard Spencer, I did not. Winniethepooh has history around these parts of having threads closed down by him posting scurrilous lies and accusations... but I have to ask, why are you leaping to his defense? Surely he can defend his honour all by himself.

But it wasn't a mistake, winniethepoo claimed I linked to Richard Spencer, I did not. Winniethepooh has history around these parts of having threads closed down by him posting scurrilous lies and accusations... but I have to ask, why are you leaping to his defense? Surely he can defend his honour all by himself.

Aww I think it's sweet! Probably puts his cost over a puddle too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Has someone polled all 1000,000,000+ Muslims?

Don't be a silly bugger. You can get a good idea from polling smaller numbers just like they do here with the exit polls and are usually pretty accurate.

Poll - noun;
    a questioning or canvassing of persons selected at random or by quota to obtain information or opinions to be analyzed

You do understand you don't need to ask all members of a group, just a reasonably large sample chosen at random and across a number of geographical regions to correlate this data?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

I have no idea about the poster's history. I just suggested he might have made a mistake by confusing you with your namesake and if he did it would be an easy mistake to make. That's all.

Because those who commit acts of terror are not alone, despite the "lone wolf" bull**** we're asked to buy.

They're supported by at least 1 in 4 or more of the others of their "faith" who think what they're doing is okay.

So why should the other 3 out of 4 be tarred yet it's somehow unfair to associate a single person with a terrorist who has the same political beliefs?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Don't be a silly bugger. You can get a good idea from polling smaller numbers just like they do here with the exit polls and are usually pretty accurate.

No because there are different branches of islam, thats like saying if you poll 1000 christians in Dublin then that will be the same as polling all christians around the world.

• Advertisement

Billy Mays wrote: »
    I have no idea about the poster's history. I just suggested he might have made a mistake by confusing you with your namesake and if he did it would be an easy mistake to make. That's all.

I dont mean to offend, but you need to look more closely at this poster's history, he is known for posting absolute fraudulent accusations about anyone and all he disagrees with. He did not make a mistake, he tried to pass off a lie as truth as he mistakenly believed I had him on ignore.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement