Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Quazzie wrote: »
    How do the dimmer switches work? I just put them on my wall to replace the current light switches then they work off the app/google home/echo similar to how the bulbs work?

Yeah pair them with your system in the hue app. Different methods for pairing depending if they came with a bulb or on their own (they app will instruct).
    Then as part of the setup you will add them to a room, decide what presets you want to happen on the on-button preeses 1 to 5.

Then just stick the switch where you think is best. I put mine just above the standard switch in most rooms for convenience (plus th switch is usually right beside the door)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,882 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

irishbuzz wrote: »
    It's up to you what you do with the switch. Some possibilities:
    1. Mount them beside your switch or elsewhere
    2. Mount them over your switch using a separate adapter (like Samotech)
    3. Mount it using its magnetic backing to the fridge or wherever
    4. Leave it sitting wherever is handy for you. Just like a remote.

They work directly with the Hue hub. They don't go through your Alexa etc.
    Yeah pair them with your system in the hue app. Different methods for pairing depending if they came with a bulb or on their own (they app will instruct).
    Then as part of the setup you will add them to a room, decide what presets you want to happen on the on-button preeses 1 to 5.

Then just stick the switch where you think is best. I put mine just above the standard switch in most rooms for convenience (plus th switch is usually right beside the door)

Ah, so the switch only works with the Hue bulbs. I get ya. Still new to all this.

i always thought it would make more sense, if they made switches that are connected to your home automation system rather than individual bulbs. My hall has loads of downlighters and it would cost a fortune to change every bulb, but if they done it that I could just replace the actual light switch then it would make much more sense.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

i always thought it would make more sense, if they made switches that are connected to your home automation system rather than individual bulbs. My hall has loads of downlighters and it would cost a fortune to change every bulb, but if they done it that I could just replace the actual light switch then it would make much more sense.

Well it would make sense of us consumers, but it wouldn't make sense for them.

After all they would rather sell you dozens of those downlighters, rather then just one switch.

There is no technically reason why they couldn't make a switch, it would be very easy for them to do. They even previously had a smart plug, now discontinued. So clearly the choice is a business one on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Ah, so the switch only works with the Hue bulbs. I get ya. Still new to all this.

What you are talking about is smart switches rather than smart bulbs. They are available, look up fibaro z wave switches etc.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

2011 wrote: »
    I have 2 teenagers that shed lots of hair too :)

Have the 30c it's the best thing I've purchased. Have 2 rabbits hair everywhere, not anymore. The only thing that I need to do is remove the strands of human hair that he collects. Have it about 2 weeks, works brilliantly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Think this is about the same as Amazon but its bricks and mortar.

Tesco have the Hue starter kits (1 white bulb and dimmer) for €24.95

Individual Hue bulbs for €19.95

Saw these in both Dundrum and Nutgrove today.

Had a couple of 'spend 45 get 10 off' coupons which made then 20 quid each, was on foot and said i had a car parking ticket at Dundrum and they chipped another €3 off so made 2 kits for €37

John Lewis has pretty good post xmas deals (use our el motel)

Home hub down to £109
    Home max speaker down by £100 to £299

https://www.johnlewis.com/search?search-term=Google

Seems theres new teal coloured mini now too...

Trying to buy this from Amazon Spain as its sold out on the UK site and every other UK retailer who all seem to have it for 59 pounds (Argos IE sold out at €69).

https://www.amazon.es/Philips-Hue-White-iluminación-inteligente/dp/B016H0R7SE/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?__mk_es_ES=ÅMÅZÕÑ&qid=1545754252&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=hue+bridge&dpPl=1&dpID=21O-rl9s27L&ref=plSrch

Have Amazon Prime but the ES site wants to still charge me postage, is sold and dispatched by Amazon. Anyone know if Prime works on other Amazon sites outside the UK?

If this doesn't work, anyone know if and what Dublin airport have them for as passing through next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,923 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Trying to buy this from Amazon Spain as its sold out on the UK site and every other UK retailer who all seem to have it for 59 pounds (Argos IE sold out at €69).

https://www.amazon.es/Philips-Hue-White-iluminación-inteligente/dp/B016H0R7SE/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?__mk_es_ES=ÅMÅZÕÑ&qid=1545754252&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=hue+bridge&dpPl=1&dpID=21O-rl9s27L&ref=plSrch

Have Amazon Prime but the ES site wants to still charge me postage, is sold and dispatched by Amazon. Anyone know if Prime works on other Amazon sites outside the UK?

If this doesn't work, anyone know if and what Dublin airport have them for as passing through next month.

Prime is limited to the region you signed up in.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

Amazon Germany have the full e27 white bulb starter pack for about 70euro plus delivery if thats any good to you.

Philips Hue White E27 LED Lampe Starter Set, drei Lampen inkl. Bridge und Dimmschalter, dimmbar, warmweißes Licht,9W: Amazon.de: Beleuchtung
    https://www.amazon.de/Philips-Hue-Starter-Dimmschalter-warmwei%C3%9Fes/dp/B0748MZ3Y5

• Advertisement

Amazon Germany have the full e27 white bulb starter pack for about 70euro plus delivery if thats any good to you.

Philips Hue White E27 LED Lampe Starter Set, drei Lampen inkl. Bridge und Dimmschalter, dimmbar, warmweißes Licht,9W: Amazon.de: Beleuchtung
    https://www.amazon.de/Philips-Hue-Starter-Dimmschalter-warmwei%C3%9Fes/dp/B0748MZ3Y5

Cheers- ordered, that's better value for what I'm looking for.

Hi lads, what's the going rate for a twin pack of TP Link smartplugs....is €35 cheap for Amazon (presumably black Friday is cheaper but apart from that?)

Harvey Norman and Currys etc are expensive as usual.

Got a twin pack for Christmas but the person bought US ones so no use (dunno what I'm going to do with them so they're up on adverts).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-HS100-V2-1-2-pack-Smart/dp/B07GWWPM9B/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1545906251&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=tp+link+smart+plug&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi lads, what's the going rate for a twin pack of TP Link smartplugs....is €35 cheap for Amazon (presumably black Friday is cheaper but apart from that?)

Got a twin pack for Christmas but the person bought US ones so no use (dunno what I'm going to do with them so they're up on adverts).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-HS100-V2-1-2-pack-Smart/dp/B07GWWPM9B/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1545906251&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=tp+link+smart+plug&psc=1
    These are the hs100 version without energy monitoring. Not sure if you care about that. Could you use US to 3 pin adapters for the US versions you got? They probably multi voltage

These are the hs100 version without energy monitoring. Not sure if you care about that. Could you use US to 3 pin adapters for the US versions you got? They probably multi voltage

Ah didn't realise that- thanks, are they are good deal or just average at that price?

Re the US plugs would need two adaptors for each (one to go into the wall and one to take the appliance I'm.pluggin in), will have a look

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭micks_address

Ah didn't realise that- thanks, are they are good deal or just average at that price?

Re the US plugs would need two adaptors for each (one to go into the wall and one to take the appliance I'm.pluggin in), will have a look
    Forgot they be America on the way in and out :) the price isn't bad.. I think on black Friday there was a three pack of the hs100 for 36 euro or so.. if you don't need energy monitoring they do the job.. regularly see them reduced to about 17 euro on their own on Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Dub_Jim_Royle

Hi,

Has anyone got the Philips Xiaomi bulbs (white)?
    I can't get them to connect with the Mi Home app, the Philips app or any of the apps. I have tried manually adding them, searching for them and trying to scan the QR code. None of them recognise the bulb. I have done the reset as instructed (switching on and off 5 times).
    Nothing...

Anyone got any ideas/suggestions?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Don't post problems in the bargain alerts thread?

Philips and xiaomi are separate companies, are you sure you are not mixing up two different things here?

Ah it's the xiaomi Philips bulb, not a Philips xiaomi. Makes more sense the Chinese are knocking off the philips bulb

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

Hi,

Has anyone got the Philips Xiaomi bulbs (white)?
    I can't get them to connect with the Mi Home app, the Philips app or any of the apps. I have tried manually adding them, searching for them and trying to scan the QR code. None of them recognise the bulb. I have done the reset as instructed (switching on and off 5 times).
    Nothing...

I had the same thing
    Had to use an old phone to pair them my s9 just keeped jumping to 5g wifi and it wouldn't pair

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Saw instructions for something earlier which recommended switching off the 5Ghz band while setting up the switching back on when set up. Might be worth trying the same

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Dub_Jim_Royle

Sorry, yes forgot I was in the BA thread, but this is the one I got, branded philips as I make the bulb part, xiaomi make the IOT bits as I understand. It comes in branded Philips box with no mention of xiaomi (well there might be in the instructions but they're in Chinese so I cant be sure)

https://www.gearbest.com/smart-lighting/pp_644095.html?wid=1433363&currency=EUR&vip=16167115&gclid=Cj0KCQiAjZLhBRCAARIsAFHWpbFdHJv40UswktWMPEXt-I-Zfl7coJPFumPH12-cadtL5DrDRDvrgEMaAuDGEALw_wcB

mossym wrote: »

Philips and xiaomi are separate companies, are you sure you are not mixing up two different things here?

Ah it's the xiaomi Philips bulb, not a Philips xiaomi. Makes more sense the Chinese are knocking off the philips bulb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

Hi lads, what's the going rate for a twin pack of TP Link smartplugs....is €35 cheap for Amazon

I got 2 HS110 from Curry's - €30 each. Couldn't find any on Amazon that had the energy monitoring, just the HS100.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,425 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I got 2 HS110 from Curry's - €30 each. Couldn't find any on Amazon that had the energy monitoring, just the HS100.

Pricey!! 26 for two, tidier units with energy monitoring!!
    TECKIN Smart Plug, https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CVJYV3G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_vnwjCb21G3H08

Here’s my Christmas treee lights !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Anyone ever see any good deals on Sonos stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭south

mossym wrote: »

Philips own 70% of the company Xiaomi have the rest, it's a partnership!

https://www.signify.com/global/our-company/news/press-release-archive/2016/20161103-philips-lighting-and-xiaomi-join-forces-in-smart-home-lighting-in-china

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Are tesco still doing the white hue bulbs?
    Got a starter kit for chrimbo and need one more bayonet bulb, as well as 3 ses ones and 3 gu10's

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭eusap

the bigger stores have the E27 bulb with remote for 25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

I see Tesco have the Google home for €115

• Registered Users Posts: 27,923 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

THE ALM wrote: »
    I see Tesco have the Google home for €115

Do they still accept the other Supermarket money off vouchers? I've some here from Dunnes that I could use against that :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Do they still accept the other Supermarket money off vouchers? I've some here from Dunnes that I could use against that :confused:

No, not anymore

• Advertisement

eusap wrote: »
    the bigger stores have the E27 bulb with remote for 25

Bulbs on their own for €19.95 too.

Advertisement