Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Clareman wrote: »
    I don't need them, I have 1 smart plug already and I only ever use it for the Christmas tree lights and for the rest of the year it is left in a box unused.

Ordered, thanks Op

Bought 2 different brand ones (Woox Home -dodgy enough app) that arrived yesterday. May as well keep them,

Can give these 2 to my parents for their tree and a lamp or something!

TXGYrBt.png

Stupid boards.

The countdown timer while I purchased made it even more intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Mac B

Get onto Customer Service and tell them you are going to return the ones you bought last week and buy those ones cause of the difference in price, they'll probably just refund the difference.

Not much luck with them. They replied:

We work hard to make sure our prices are as competitive as possible and may from time to time change our prices. However, we don’t offer post-order price adjustments.

It's not enough of a saving for to actually return them. I may just buy another couple anyway, lol. Not sure yet what for, the first two are on Xmas lights so will be free in a few weeks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Mac B wrote: »
    Not much luck with them. They replied:

We work hard to make sure our prices are as competitive as possible and may from time to time change our prices. However, we don’t offer post-order price adjustments.

It's not enough of a saving for to actually return them. I may just buy another couple anyway, lol. Not sure yet what for, the first two are on Xmas lights so will be free in a few weeks.

Sure they'll be awful handy, I can't wait to get them so I can put them in the box to put up for the Christmas decorations again next year when I'll use them then spot another offer and buy another 2.

This year when I got the Hue setup I setup the plug as well, I had nothing to use it on, was going to use it on a TV but that was already controlled by the Shield, I was going to put it on the kettle but the wife told me to cop on, I was going to put it on the diswasher but what's the point, was going to put it on a lamp but I got a Hue Iris on offer, was going to put it on a night light but I used the Hue bulb for that then finally I put it on the Christmas tree lights, great job, schedule on it for every day, nice and safe. Now I have 2 more coming that I have to go figure out what to use them on.

Sure they'll be awful handy, I can't wait to get them so I can put them in the box to put up for the Christmas decorations again next year when I'll use them then spot another offer and buy another 2.

This year when I got the Hue setup I setup the plug as well, I had nothing to use it on, was going to use it on a TV but that was already controlled by the Shield, I was going to put it on the kettle but the wife told me to cop on, I was going to put it on the diswasher but what's the point, was going to put it on a lamp but I got a Hue Iris on offer, was going to put it on a night light but I used the Hue bulb for that then finally I put it on the Christmas tree lights, great job, schedule on it for every day, nice and safe. Now I have 2 more coming that I have to go figure out what to use them on.

You're hilarious. Tears from laughing here. You make me seem sane, I might just order more for the fun of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,375 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Smart plugs twin pack down to £16.99 on lightening deal

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CVJYV3G?psc=1

I've no use for these but ordered them, actually my basket was a bit like Aldi on a Thursday. so many random purchases.

will probably put one in the shed so I turn on and off the light out there, I've the tumble dryer out there so should be handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I think you just described the majority of the people who post here :D:pac::pac:
    I have two in the box that I am trying to figure where to use them. I am going to put it on the fridge. Just because I am curious to see how much electricity it's using.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Amazon Echo (2nd gen) down to £54.99

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

AstraMonti wrote: »
    I am going to put it on the fridge. Just because I am curious to see how much electricity it's using.

You are a genius, my daughter turned off the plug to the fridge once, I'll put the smart plug on it so I can get an alert if it ever turns off. Now to figure out what to do with the other 1

• Registered Users Posts: 27,910 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You are a genius, my daughter turned off the plug to the fridge once, I'll put the smart plug on it so I can get an alert if it ever turns off. Now to figure out what to do with the other 1

Kettle and toaster. Turn the plugs on before you go down in the morning to boiling water and fresh popped toast.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Kettle and toaster. Turn the plugs on before you go down in the morning to boiling water and fresh popped toast.

I was thinking that but that means you have to have the kettle turned on the night before, Mrs. Clareman is normally downstairs before me and when she tried to boil the kettle it wouldn't cause of the plug, Mrs. Clareman before a cup of tea in the morning is a scary thing

• Advertisement

I was thinking that but that means you have to have the kettle turned on the night before, Mrs. Clareman is normally downstairs before me and when she tried to boil the kettle it wouldn't cause of the plug, Mrs. Clareman before a cup of tea in the morning is a scary thing

She can just turn the plug on with the manual switch couldn't she?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Buy an electric blanket! If you're missing one, it'll change your life.

No longer need the stress of 'running upstairs half an hour before actually going to bed, hop under the bed, flick the little switch, then running back downstairs and wait patiently for the bed to warm up' or even worse, forgetting to turn it on and hopping into a cold bed, bracing yourself, wondering if you'll make it to morning in this harsh Wintery Irish temperatures.

Before we get out of hand, here's a link to an affordable blanket! (apparently it was £79.99 in 2014 so should get me off the hook for chatting in a bargain thread!)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silentnight-Comfort-Control-Electric-Blanket/dp/B00B0KJ3F2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1544792298&sr=8-3&keywords=electric+blanket

Those new smart plugs? Boom set a routine that aligns with your bedtime, or lay on the couch and flick it on from the comfort of your tv in advance.

THE FUTURE IS HERE!

Even better, get one of those dual control blankets where yourself and the missus can have different temperatures on each side!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Smart plugs twin pack down to £16.99 on lightning deal

Thanks Luckycharms, just bought this and was starting to be influenced by above madness and contemplating a second order but it's saying I've already claimed the offer and price reverting back to £23.99.
    Just something for others to be mindful off, buy enough in first order or you'll have to use multiple accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭BoardAtWork

I bought a Smartthings bundle during the Black Friday sales last year. The plug has only been used with my christmas lights last year and this year. I haven't found a use for it otherwise.

Shlippery wrote: »

No longer need the stress of 'running upstairs half an hour before actually going to bed, hop under the bed, flick the little switch, then running back downstairs and wait patiently for the bed to warm up' or even worse, forgetting to turn it on and hopping into a cold bed, bracing yourself, wondering if you'll make it to morning in this harsh Wintery Irish temperatures.

Before we get out of hand, here's a link to an affordable blanket! (apparently it was £79.99 in 2014 so should get me off the hook for chatting in a bargain thread!)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silentnight-Comfort-Control-Electric-Blanket/dp/B00B0KJ3F2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1544792298&sr=8-3&keywords=electric+blanket

Those new smart plugs? Boom set a routine that aligns with your bedtime, or lay on the couch and flick it on from the comfort of your tv in advance.

THE FUTURE IS HERE!

Even better, get one of those dual control blankets where yourself and the missus can have different temperatures on each side!

If Mrs. Clareman had an electric blanket she'd have no use for me

She can just turn the plug on with the manual switch couldn't she?

Socket it under the counter

Socket it under the counter

Ok then my suggestion is get rid of the wife :pac:

Smart plugs twin pack down to £16.99 on lightning deal

Lightening deal is over, back to 23.99. well done to those who ordered and saves the rest of us from temptation!

Ok then my suggestion is get rid of the wife :pac:

I'm sure there's a joke there about a smart wife that you can turn on with your phone but I'm just not seeing it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Thanks Luckycharms, just bought this and was starting to be influenced by above madness and contemplating a second order but it's saying I've already claimed the offer and price reverting back to £23.99.
    Just something for others to be mindful off, buy enough in first order or you'll have to use multiple accounts.

Yesh same with me . I have a couple of Sonoff around the house but since I started using Phillips hue ( only have 5 bulbs as of yet) these have been used less frequent.

But electric blanket is great idea for these :)

I tried to go back and purchase another set but like you it says claimed already.

The good thing is they will be back again on another deal after Christmas I’m sure :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭paulbok

Shlippery wrote: »

THE FUTURE IS HERE!

unless it can cool the bed, not a chance. can't abide a warm bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,375 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’ve just thought off a use for the second switch. I can turn the kitchen radio into a smart one. It’s generally kept on the sane station anyway so I can schedule it to come on in the moring and lunch time etc

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

Amazon UK have the Philips hue motion sensors for £26

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Home-Kitchen/Philips-Motion-Sensor-Installation-Free-Exclusive/B0748NCMNW/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1544956778&sr=8-7&keywords=philips+hue

Works out about 29euro if using revolut and choosing free delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Home-Kitchen/Philips-Motion-Sensor-Installation-Free-Exclusive/B0748NCMNW/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1544956778&sr=8-7&keywords=philips+hue

What benefit does Revolut provide when used on amazon?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

What benefit does Revolut provide when used on amazon?

The exchange rate (particularly mon-fri) is much better than that of the banks here or Amazon's own rates. Saves a few quid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

duffman13 wrote: »
    The exchange rate (particularly mon-fri) is much better than that of the banks here or Amazon's own rates. Saves a few quid

Ah ok, that makes sense! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Deal on Hue starter kit and light strip if you happen to be across the border or in the uk. See a few in stock in the North.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

These came and went really quickly, back to normal prices last night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

Mac B wrote: »
    Lightening deal is over, back to 23.99. well done to those who ordered and saves the rest of us from temptation!

Theres a lightning deal on amazon now for a 4pack, £31.39 - think its only for another 3/4hours though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭covfefe

Rew wrote: »
    These came and went really quickly, back to normal prices last night

Similar price on the Spanish site, picked up a few as I missed the UK ones and was on the lookout: https://www.amazon.es/Philips-Hue-movimiento-inal%C3%A1mbrico-controlable/dp/B0748NCMNW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1545089170&sr=8-1&keywords=hue+motion

Advertisement