Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jones

I did the same i've gone to order this so many times to replace my Ultimate and finally bit the bullet. It helped that i had £70 in amazon vouchers to go against it. Lowest price its ever been including black friday sales so anyone on the fence i'd go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Harmony Elite down to £119

Logitech Harmony Elite Advanced TV and Home Entertainment Remote Control, Hub and App, Works with Alexa, Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014GXQOJ2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_mHApCbS9S7HDW

Decent price for it, I picked it up for the same price on Black Friday, Just didn't work for me and I ended up sending it back. It was only working with my sound bar 70% of the time, found it decent for lights but again not great. OH nearly put it out the window one of the days and went back to using the old remote, I knew that was the end.

Pity as in theory it sounds great but for me in reality not so good.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Decent price for it, I picked it up for the same price on Black Friday, Just didn't work for me and I ended up sending it back. It was only working with my sound bar 70% of the time, found it decent for lights but again not great. OH nearly put it out the window one of the days and went back to using the old remote, I knew that was the end.

Pity as in theory it sounds great but for me in reality not so good.

It does act up once in a while but a quick re sync between the remote and the hub seems to always fix it.

I have activities set up like Netflix whereby it will turn on the TV/AVR/Nvidia Shield and then switch the shield to the Netflix app with one press of the button.

I have Hue bulbs connected to it with the ability to dim etc.

One of my better buys I think and i do buy alot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

It does act up once in a while but a quick re sync between the remote and the hub seems to always fix it.

I have activities set up like Netflix whereby it will turn on the TV/AVR/Nvidia Shield and then switch the shield to the Netflix app with one press of the button.

I have Hue bulbs connected to it with the ability to dim etc.

One of my better buys I think and i do buy alot :)

How are you getting Harmony to open the Netflix app in the Shield?

How are you getting Harmony to open the Netflix app in the Shield?

First thing it needs Amazon Alexa to work although there may be a work around

Download this from Play Store on Shield
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.willblaschko.android.abertosonorus&hl=en

Within this app you can get other Shield Apps to display themselves as smart devices.
    There is then the same named Alexa app that needs enabling.
    Then within the devices list of the Alexa they show up as smart devices I have Plex/Netflix/Amazon prime etc. now listed as smart devices.
    I then set them up as activities etc. within the Harmony app

You can also teach the remote to do the same thing via steps within an activity i.e. turn on tv/turn on shield then you can have directional steps like 1 over and 1 down etc to where the app is on the shield homepage and launch it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

First thing it needs Amazon Alexa to work although there may be a work around

Download this from Play Store on Shield
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.willblaschko.android.abertosonorus&hl=en

Within this app you can get other Shield Apps to display themselves as smart devices.
    There is then the same named Alexa app that needs enabling.
    Then within the devices list of the Alexa they show up as smart devices I have Plex/Netflix/Amazon prime etc. now listed as smart devices.
    I then set them up as activities etc. within the Harmony app

You can also teach the remote to do the same thing via steps within an activity i.e. turn on tv/turn on shield then you can have directional steps like 1 over and 1 down etc to where the app is on the shield homepage and launch it

Ah ok, I'm invested in Google, not Amazon.
    Some of my voice commands are working on the Shield using voice through my Google Home. I can open Kodi it Netflix and tell it what to play.

I added in two extra lines in my post a few mins ago,It can be done without Alexa but a bit convoluted with the incremental steps in the activity set up

https://support.myharmony.com/en-ie/adding-commands-when-an-activity-starts-or-ends

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

Philips hue GU10 white ambiance twin packs are 28 GBP on amazon UK today.

http://https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01L99H850/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_VOYpCbAB57X6T

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jones

http://https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01L99H850/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_VOYpCbAB57X6T

Great price for the twin pack unfortunately i have no money to get some more haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

I'll think I'll grab a few at that price, 15.80eur ea, very close to my 15eur trigger price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Currys.ie currently have offers on the Google home and mini

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

4 pack of Teckin plugs for £33

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

THE ALM wrote: »
    4 pack of Teckin plugs for £33

I have these, they work perfectly in my experience for anyone wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭MickH503

keane2097 wrote: »
    I have these, they work perfectly in my experience for anyone wondering.
    Same here. Just ordered another pack that I don't really need :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

MickH503 wrote: »
    Same here. Just ordered another pack that I don't really need :)

Hey lads, some of the reviews say there are problems if your sockets have on/off switches - have you found that? Ours have these unfortunately. Going to probably miss this deal but would be good to know for next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,425 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hey lads, some of the reviews say there are problems if your sockets have on/off switches - have you found that? Ours have these unfortunately. Going to probably miss this deal but would be good to know for next time.

No issue here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Passing through Dublin airport for the Leinster game this morning, current pricing for anyone interested

Google Minis €29
    Google Homes €89 (a saving of €50 they say)
    Google Home Hub €159

• Registered Users Posts: 28,882 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The problem is with the socket. Some of the switches can come in contact when the Teckin plug. This can cause the switch to turn off.

Mine tho, seem to be fine, so I suppose it depends on the socket

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

Philips hue 1 meter light strip extensions are GBP £17.50 on amazon UK. Not a bad price, I just picked up two of these to complete the kitchen.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0148NMVJW/ref=twister_B015ZGSPH8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

There are also some deals on amazon DE, nothing special. They have 2 meter light strip plus with 1 meter extension for 62euro (approx 10euro extra for delivery). Probably still the best price for 3meters at the moment.
    https://www.amazon.de/apb/page/ref=gbps_img_s-6_ad1f_c2b34ac1?handlerName=OctopusDealLandingStream&deals=c2b34ac1&marketplaceId=A1PA6795UKMFR9&smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_p=384a0a87-90f3-4917-b500-0b3a252cad1f&pf_rd_s=slot-6&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_main&pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_r=96G1BDVMVZDJJXFYFBKT

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭MickH503

Mine does push on the switch a little, so the plug isn't actually pushed quite all the way in, but it works fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭gar

Mine does push on the switch a little, so the plug isn't actually pushed quite all the way in, but it works fine

Same here on some of them

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Same here with mine, but it is fine for me.

I note that Teckin also make a very similar but round plug. I think being round would reduce the issue.

Otherwise seem like a very good plug, work well, very low energy standby usage and very small size compared to older smart plugs, I'm impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Amazon have a deal of the day on some Eufy Robovacs.

Eufy [BoostIQ RoboVac 30C, Wi-Fi, Upgraded, Super-Thin, 1500Pa Strong Suction, 13 ft Boundary Strips Included, Quiet, Self-Charging Robotic Vacuum Cleaner, Cleans Hard Floors to Medium-Pile Carpets https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DDDB34D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ulVrCbMSHZZB9
    £269 - > £202

Eufy RoboVac 11, High Suction, Self-Docking, Self-Charging Robotic Vacuum Cleaner with Drop-Sensing Technology, Designed for Hard Floor and Thin Carpet https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078SN5R19/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_YmVrCb7CF1T7D

£209 - > £146

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Frank Castle

thecivvie wrote: »
    Amazon have a deal of the day on some Eufy Robovacs.

Eufy [BoostIQ RoboVac 30C, Wi-Fi, Upgraded, Super-Thin, 1500Pa Strong Suction, 13 ft Boundary Strips Included, Quiet, Self-Charging Robotic Vacuum Cleaner, Cleans Hard Floors to Medium-Pile Carpets https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DDDB34D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ulVrCbMSHZZB9
    £269 - > £202

Eufy RoboVac 11, High Suction, Self-Docking, Self-Charging Robotic Vacuum Cleaner with Drop-Sensing Technology, Designed for Hard Floor and Thin Carpet https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078SN5R19/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_YmVrCb7CF1T7D

£209 - > £146

I got the Robovac 30c in the black friday sales.
    Have to say, probably the best purchase I have made in a long time.
    Easy to setup and use with surprisingly good cleaning capability.

While id doesn't have mapping, after watching/inspecting these last 2 months, I can confirm it still does get everywhere, and the edge cleaning mode is very good! There is never any issues with it returning to base (I keep the base under the sofa)

Also have mats about 2 inches thick, glides over these without any issues and picks up all the dog hair.

There is also a noticeable improvement on the air quality imo, which i put down to running the robovac every day keeping the dust down.

Highly recommend these it you are in the market for a one but don't want to fork out a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

I got the Robovac 30c in the black friday sales.
    Have to say, probably the best purchase I have made in a long time.
    Easy to setup and use with surprisingly good cleaning capability.

While id doesn't have mapping, after watching/inspecting these last 2 months, I can confirm it still does get everywhere, and the edge cleaning mode is very good! There is never any issues with it returning to base (I keep the base under the sofa)

Also have mats about 2 inches thick, glides over these without any issues and picks up all the dog hair.

There is also a noticeable improvement on the air quality imo, which i put down to running the robovac every day keeping the dust down.

Highly recommend these it you are in the market for a one but don't want to fork out a fortune.

Is it smart enough to sense stairs and keep from falling down them?
    I've always wanted something like this, but I don't want to come home to find it has fallen down the stairs on day 1 and smashed to bits... And how noisy is it? I have 2 cats, one is a little skittish and hates my regular Hoover...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Frank Castle

AngelaRI wrote: »
    Is it smart enough to sense stairs and keep from falling down them?
    I've always wanted something like this, but I don't want to come home to find it has fallen down the stairs on day 1 and smashed to bits... And how noisy is it? I have 2 cats, one is a little skittish and hates my regular Hoover...

Yes it has drop sensors to prevent it falling and sensors on front so it doesn't bang into anything. (when in edge cleaning mode it uses the rubber bumper on front to detect edges, this does not mark anything)
    It also comes with a magnetic strip that you can place in areas where you do not want it to go.

It is very quiet, no problem having it on while watching tv or at night when sleeping. I'd say it is about half or even a 3rd the volume of my dyson.

One thing to note is that you will need to lift any small pet toys or strings as it will suck them up too. I had mine catch a charger lead and wrap it around its brush. (no issue the robovac just shuts down with no damage done to the vacuum or lead, but no cleaning done then, so it is worth moving small toys or charging leads out of the way. Larger items/toys, golf ball size and up are fine as it just avoids these.)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

God damn it, now I want one! Sounds great for folks who suffer from Asthma or allergies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

bk wrote: »
    God damn it, now I want one! Sounds great for folks who suffer from Asthma or allergies.

Picked one up to on black Friday as above, probably one of the best purchases I've made in a really long time, very impressive bit of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Imagine no more cleaning, it's a dream come true.....

I want one now too will have to wait till they are on offer again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

I got the 11c in the last sales, and its been great for managing loose dog hair and crumbs from my toddler. I would recommend.

Advertisement