Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭degsie

2 x B22 Philips hue white ambiance bulbs for £29 on amazon UK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Ambience-Personal-Wireless-Lighting/dp/B0748N824Y/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1544646786&sr=8-14&keywords=philips+hue

Revolut exchange rate is about 1.11/1.12

Do you need a 'hub' for these to work with Amazon echo?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

degsie wrote: »
    Do you need a 'hub' for these to work with Amazon echo?

yes, unless you have the echo plus with the built in hub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

20% off on the Tado site today. Smart TRV about €63.99 each, shipping €9.95.

https://www.tado.com/ie/products

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

TJJP wrote: »

Do they require the individual thermostat or you can have something like a nest or climote with these?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Do they require the individual thermostat or you can have something like a nest or climote with these?

You need the main Tado thermostat that hooks to the boiler, the TRVs then turn each room/radiator in to a specific zone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭deezell

TJJP wrote: »

They're still better priced on Amazon,£59, £60.48 with Irish vat and free delivery, works out at €67.26 using Revolut card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Not for 4 - €66.47 each shipped, but that's splitting hairs of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

theres a smart radiator kit that allows you just use the trvs without the thermostat.

goose06 wrote: »
    theres a smart radiator kit that allows you just use the trvs without the thermostat.

Ah ok thanks. So do the TRVs have their own internal thermostat? So, can I have Climote let's say at a schedule for 21C, some of the Tado valves at 19C and some at 21, and the 19C ones will only work if they measure that the temperature around them is 19 or less? Am I understanding this correctly?

goose06 wrote: »

Yes. Tado TRVs can work alone with just the Tado bridge, you can buy as a kit, £96 for bridge plus 1 TRV UK, or you could buy an older bridge cheap on ebay and buy TRVs at current price. The bridge will give you tado app access to TRVs, but no control of the boiler. You could use something like IFTTT to create actions to operate other brand thermostats to call the boiler on their behalf.

• Advertisement

Also, the TRVs will act as you say, contolling the temperature below that set on the climote, but won't be able to increase the temperature beyond the climote max. Also, as long as the climote stat is satisfied, say greater than 21°, the TRV wil have to wait until the climote fires the boiler and runs the pump before any increase in the TRV room temperature can take place. So say a TRV in a cold room of 16° is set to increase to 20° at a certain time. When it does, it opens, but if the main stat is already off as its location (say living room) has reached past 21°, the TRV rad will not heat until the living room stat kicks in, and the TRV rad will stop heating possibly before its target if the living room reaches it's target quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

Yep they'll essentially work as a Smart TRV that you can remotely control. With IFFT then you can make calls to nest etc but I'm only using it to control the rooms, stops the kids rooms overheating as the backroom takes longer to warm as it's the last rad in the loop. I wouldn't put one in the same room as your Smart Thermostat in case it causes issues with the thermostat calling heat but the TRV turning off the rad as it's measuring the room at a different temperature.

Ah ok thanks. So do the TRVs have their own internal thermostat? So, can I have Climote let's say at a schedule for 21C, some of the Tado valves at 19C and some at 21, and the 19C ones will only work if they measure that the temperature around them is 19 or less? Am I understanding this correctly?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Mixing Tado TRV's and Climote, etc. sounds like a pain and unless you had a very good reason, I think I'd stick to all one system, Tado in this case, would make life easier.

bk wrote: »
    Mixing Tado TRV's and Climote, etc. sounds like a pain and unless you had a very good reason, I think I'd stick to all one system, Tado in this case, would make life easier.

The only reason is that I got a Climote for free from the SSE deal and I am thinking to install smart TRVs as well. In the grand scheme of things the cost of replacing it with a tado thermostat is not that big, but it was more of a "if it can be done". Sorry to derail the thread a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ITMissy

What is the best smart plug to work with Phillips hue and gateway?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭micks_address

ITMissy wrote: »
    What is the best smart plug to work with Phillips hue and gateway?

gateway?

I use TP Link hs110 kasa plugs.. they have energy monitoring built in.. lightly more expensive than the hs100 version that doesnt have monitoring.. can be all controlled from google home app..

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ITMissy

gateway?

I use TP Link hs110 kasa plugs.. they have energy monitoring built in.. lightly more expensive than the hs100 version that doesnt have monitoring.. can be all controlled from google home app..

Sorry bridge not gateway.

Thanks for the recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭VUDuo2

gateway?

Great to hear feedback on these, I'm getting a couple:
    https://powercity.ie/product/HS110

They're €30 in Currys.ie, can be got in some stores or add another €5 for delivery.

Powercity have them too @ €35 though

• Registered Users Posts: 27,910 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

VUDuo2 wrote: »
    Great to hear feedback on these, I'm getting a couple:
    https://powercity.ie/product/HS110

They're €30 in Currys.ie, can be got in some stores or add another €5 for delivery.

Powercity have them too @ €35 though

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07B8XDZ6L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_txNeCb7NT78XQ

I got two of these recently. Very small unit compared to my Wemo switches and far more user friendly app.

I paid £15 for each of them.

I 've got these after a recommendation from bk and they are great, no hassle at all. They offer monitoring as well and they work with google home.

LG9QkNT.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

+1 on either the HS100 or HS110

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The only reason is that I got a Climote for free from the SSE deal and I am thinking to install smart TRVs as well. In the grand scheme of things the cost of replacing it with a tado thermostat is not that big, but it was more of a "if it can be done". Sorry to derail the thread a bit!

Oh, yes totally. It is technically possible, I just think you would regret it for the relatively small extra cost (compared to how much a whole bunch of TRV's will cost).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Anybody just looking some wifi bulbs Google and Alexa compatible then there is an offer on some TP-Link bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Smart plugs twin pack down to £16.99 on lightning deal

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CVJYV3G?psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Mac B

Smart plugs twin pack down to £16.99 on lightening deal

Typically, I only bought these last week. These are easy to set up and so far no issues with them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Smart plugs twin pack down to £16.99 on lightening deal

I don't need them, I have 1 smart plug already and I only ever use it for the Christmas tree lights and for the rest of the year it is left in a box unused.

Ordered, thanks Op

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Mac B wrote: »
    Typically, I only bought these last week. These are easy to set up and so far no issues with them.

Get onto Customer Service and tell them you are going to return the ones you bought last week and buy those ones cause of the difference in price, they'll probably just refund the difference.

Clareman wrote: »
    I don't need them, I have 1 smart plug already and I only ever use it for the Christmas tree lights and for the rest of the year it is left in a box unused.

Ordered, thanks Op

Oh god, exactly the same here! Ordered...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Clareman wrote: »
    Get onto Customer Service and tell them you are going to return the ones you bought last week and buy those ones cause of the difference in price, they'll probably just refund the difference.

This happened me a few months ago, bought 3x twin packs of Hue White Ambiance GU10's as they were part of a 3 for 2 deal. The following day the base price reduced by about £6-£7, but they were still included in the 3 for 2 deal, so Amazon just said buy them again at the lower price, and send back the original set I'd ordered!!

me being me I just kept them all of course!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

Looking around the house desperately trying to think of a use for these....

Advertisement