Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Wailin

Red spot back in CWS lads. Down in the south east and it's €17 for a dram where I'm staying! Think I'll have a green spot for €8.50...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Makers mark going down well

• Registered Users Posts: 16,859 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Wailin wrote: »
    Red spot back in CWS lads. Down in the south east and it's €17 for a dram where I'm staying! Think I'll have a green spot for €8.50...

It's €12 in (one of) my local(s) in Cork City.
    Green spot €6

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Wailin

Those are hotel prices, nearly always more expensive. For €12 I'd try it, not €17 though. Green spot for €6 is very good too.

Midleton Dair Ghaelach is €49.50 in this particular hotel! It's normally around €28 elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Wailin wrote:
    Midleton Dair Ghaelach is €49.50 in this particular hotel! It's normally around €28 elsewhere.

Jaysus you could get a bottle of proper twelve for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭daraghmack

I picked up a bottle of Johnnie walker black label, triple cask edition in Heathrow last week, haven't opened it yet but any thoughts? My first real foray into the world of scotch.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,859 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

daraghmack wrote: »
    I picked up a bottle of Johnnie walker black label, triple cask edition in Heathrow last week, haven't opened it yet but any thoughts? My first real foray into the world of scotch.

I'd recommend opening it and tasting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Sage advice above! No better way.

I do often open a page at the whiskey exchange as I like their consistent breakdowns on style, character, tasting notes, and reviews:
    https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/550/johnnie-walker-black-label-12-year-old

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

Does WhiskyExchange deliver to Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

2011abc wrote:
    Does WhiskyExchange deliver to Ireland ?

Yes but they add Irish vat rate when you order so the savings aren't amazing unless your spending big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

I believe the RB 12 has gone up to £40 in Sainsburys... still cheaper than here but not quite the deal it was before. Glad i got three bottles before christmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

You can expect more increases from February on IDL products and maybe Bushmills in April. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Opened a Dalmore Regalis this evening that I bought in Duty Free recently and I'm a little let down. It's quite bland with nothing overly exciting happening.

I don't yet have a great sense for notes, but lets say I wish I could go back and pick up something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,147 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Airport specials ("Travel Retail Exclusives") are almost always disappointing. I will give exceptions to, weirdly, the Famous Grouse ones - Famous Grouse itself is awful but their TRE stuff isn't, and some has become more widely available.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Scottish Jodi

You peeps have to try Old Pulteney which is a Scottish malt brewed right up in the far north in a town called Wick.

I definitely recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Got a bottle of Woodford Reserve this morning as a gift from a family member arriving back from the states... looking forward to opening it later for a dram

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

L1011 wrote: »
    Airport specials ("Travel Retail Exclusives") are almost always disappointing. I will give exceptions to, weirdly, the Famous Grouse ones - Famous Grouse itself is awful but their TRE stuff isn't, and some has become more widely available.

I do believe you, but feel compelled to respond and say Jameson Signature is one of my favourites for its smoothness.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Bowmore 10 for me tonight. Had forgotten how nice a bowmore is, nice amount of peat with smokey caramel, sweetness. Not unlike Talisker. Tastes like more!

I do believe you, but feel compelled to respond and say Jameson Signature is one of my favourites for its smoothness.

Another exception probably. Personal tastes vary etc etc

The TRE craze of sort is at least partially responsible for the past few years where we lost actual age stated product from some distilleries - but that trend is now reversing.

TREs are nearly always NAS (no age statement) and do sell. That and reduced stocks of older product from higher overall sales meant we saw the mass market headline product from some distilleries (Scotch almost solely) go from say 10 or 12 years to NAS, sometimes with a name to make it sound classier - "Founders Reserve" from Glenlivet replaced the 12 in most markets for instance. But the 12 is now easily available again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

The first Laphroaig bottle I bought was a TRE Four Oak expression and it was disappointing indeed. Wasn't worthy of the Laphroaig name imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

L1011 wrote: »
    If you're talking bargain basement smoke, Aldi's 8 year old blend is what I use for mixing - but still drinkable Black Grouse is a level or two better thah that and usually cheap but not always available in irelabdy

Speaking of the bottom of the basement I was given a bottle of West Cork Bog Oak over the holidays. Dear god, that's 2 terrible bottles of the stuff I'll never touch it again.

So I was standing in the checkout yesterday and suddenly noticed a bottle of Aldi 8yo whisky for €18. Straight away it reminds me a bit of the caustic chemical backwash as above tbh. I think you're putting the Grouse Smoky Black down, it's superior. Like above there's a harsh, astringent twang that seems just unnatural and poorly crafted.

Now add a drop of water and the nose opens up and I might detect the smoke you mentioned. Now the battery acid is diluted and it's passable. Not particularly smokey, overly sweet yet with an interesting bite.

Blended with 1/6 Ardmore Legacy and now we're getting somewhere interesting. The chemical waste taste is finally masked with new depths and makes a nice all-rounder! So all in all not too bad to find a cheap whisky made pretty decent with a blend of cheap Ardmore. Will at least get me through the bottle but I wouldn't recommend except as a mixer, as you said.

Going through Dublin duty free next week and looking for advice...

contemplating getting another Redbreast Cask Strenght & a Redbreast 15

or

Yellowspot & Greenspot CLB and a Nikka from the Barrell

option 1 or 2????

• Registered Users Posts: 12,623 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Had my first taste of Knappogue Castle 12yr at the weekend. Really liked it. Bought it Friday and its almost gone which is concerning.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

picachu wrote: »
    Going through Dublin duty free next week and looking for advice...

contemplating getting another Redbreast Cask Strenght & a Redbreast 15

or

Yellowspot & Greenspot CLB and a Nikka from the Barrell

option 1 or 2????
    Some good choices there. Last time I was home I picked up Greenspot, Redbreast and Nikka Coffey Malt

By my count the options are €128 and €136 respectively. The Redbreast CS is only a €5 more than the Yellowspot. So if you could stretch to it, I'd go with;

Redbreast CS, Greenspot LB and Nikka FtB for €141
    Or even with the regular Greenspot for €129

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

The Nal wrote: »
    Had my first taste of Knappogue Castle 12yr at the weekend. Really liked it. Bought it Friday and its almost gone which is concerning.

It's very good for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,623 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

It's very good for the price.

Very yeah, only 40 quid at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I wouldn't get both the redbreast cs and the 15. Mix it up a bit.

Cask strength and Nikka from the barrel would be my recommendation.

Mellor wrote: »
    Some good choices there. Last time I was home I picked up Greenspot, Redbreast and Nikka Coffey Malt

By my count the options are €128 and €136 respectively. The Redbreast CS is only a €5 more than the Yellowspot. So if you could stretch to it, I'd go with;

Redbreast CS, Greenspot LB and Nikka FtB for €141
    Or even with the regular Greenspot for €129

Which is the better whiskey... greenspot Lb or redbreast cs? Apart from price

Add yellowspot to that question...

I did buy a bottle of Redbreast CS but i didnt open it yet....

I havent tried either hence the question

That's such a subjective question you'll get people claiming both answers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,580 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Nal wrote: »

Keep an eye out for the sampler set in Celtic Whiskey Shop etc with the 12, 14 and 16 years olds. Personally the 14 was my favourite.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement