Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

It was the question mark.

rhetorical
    adjective
    relating to or concerned with the art of rhetoric.
    (of a question) asked in order to produce an effect or to make a statement rather than to elicit information.

Now I'm out.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

dos29 wrote: »
    rhetorical
    adjective
    relating to or concerned with the art of rhetoric.
    (of a question) asked in order to produce an effect or to make a statement rather than to elicit information.

Now I'm out.....

Ok, chief. See ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Ok, chief. See ya.

I think you are out of order.
    New posters should be encouraged to post in these threads without getting grief for no apparent reason. IMO.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

I think you are out of order.
    New posters should be encouraged to post in these threads without getting grief for no apparent reason. IMO.

Ok, chief, I'll take that on board.

I'll make sure to check in with and ok things with you the next time somebody asks a pointless question they mistakenly believe fits the definition of "rhetorical" to make sure I understand the context of it.

I'll make sure to check in with and ok things with you the next time somebody asks a pointless question they mistakenly believe fits the definition of "rhetorical" to make sure I understand the context of it.

That would be great, thanks.
    Don’t feel bad, we all learn as we go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

dos29 wrote: »
    Possibly my first post here?
    A large measure of West Cork 12yo Sherry Cask tonight. My second visit to the bottle. Serious bang for buck in my opinion for €50ish.

Thanks, I haven't tried it so might give that a random go next time I'm at a pub that stocks it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Christ almight lad take the stick out of your arse. This isnt a courtroom, its a discussion forum. Not every word spoken (typed) needs to be taken with literal interpretation. Have a whiskey and chill! West Cork 12yo Sherry Cask is recommended :P

On a seperate note, tried a redspot last night, I dont really see the appeal over yellowspot tbh, or why you would take red over yellow. I know Greenspot is generally preferred on this thread over yellowspot (especially when cost is taken into consideration) but I massively prefer yellowspot over greenspot. Personal preference I guess but the redspot just didnt do it for me. Annoyed as I wanted to really love it.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Christ almight lad take the stick out of your arse. This isnt a courtroom, its a discussion forum. Not every word spoken (typed) needs to be taken with literal interpretation. Have a whiskey and chill! West Cork 12yo Sherry Cask is recommended :P

On a seperate note, tried a redspot last night, I dont really see the appeal over yellowspot tbh, or why you would take red over yellow. I know Greenspot is generally preferred on this thread over yellowspot (especially when cost is taken into consideration) but I massively prefer yellowspot over greenspot. Personal preference I guess but the redspot just didnt do it for me. Annoyed as I wanted to really love it.

Yellow is the only spot I haven’t tried. Must rectify that!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hogzy wrote: »

My experience pretty much exactly.

And as everyone else seems to have an opinion on this silly row :
    I think the new poster totally overreacted to a couple of jokey posts about hi/her odd use of a question mark. Then it just got silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Having a Tullamore D.E.W 12 y/o special reserve tonight. Being honest I'm a bit disappointed in it. It's so smooth it almost lacks the complex taste profile you'd expect. The finish is warm and lingering but there is no defining taste profile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,503 ✭✭✭✭L1011

For those who don't always drink whisk[e]y straight - there's a Fever Tree 4 pack in Dunnes and probably elsewhere currently which has 3 different ginger ales (normal, smoked and orange) and a cola all with recommended pairings. Basically Speyside, Irish, Bourbon and Rye roughly but they recommend some other styles crossing over. The cola does not taste like Coke, notably.

Not the worst introduction to what mixers go well what what styles. Whether you should really be mixing Monkey Shoulder or JWB (both named on the paperwork inside the pack) is up to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

L1011 wrote: »
    For those who don't always drink whisk[e]y straight - there's a Fever Tree 4 pack in Dunnes and probably elsewhere currently which has 3 different ginger ales (normal, smoked and orange) and a cola all with recommended pairings. Basically Speyside, Irish, Bourbon and Rye roughly but they recommend some other styles crossing over. The cola does not taste like Coke, notably.

Not the worst introduction to what mixers go well what what styles. Whether you should really be mixing Monkey Shoulder or JWB (both named on the paperwork inside the pack) is up to you!

Tried the (normal?) Fever Tree ginger ale mixed with whiskey and found it way too gingery. Canadian Club ginger is a better mixer and doesn't completly drown out the whiskey tbh ...

It is high on the scale yeah. That's what I prefer myself and I find Club and Schweppes/Canadian Club too weak - but I only use it in specific cases. Entirely personal tastes here.

Also find that most low-sugar or no sugar ginger ales are awful; too much of the expected taste is sugar. So the 200ml bottles of the old Tesco Finest were perfect because I'd never drink a litre before it goes flat. But they killed it in their huge product line reduction to cut costs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

From the OP I’m also drinking glenlivet master distillers. I’m enjoying it. Have had 12 year old glenlivet in the drink cabinet. Probably a tad sweeter given it’s maturation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Wailin

Ardbeg 10 tonight, a nice dram but not my favourite Islay.

Still, a nice whisky to take you out of your comfort zone...salty peat, pungent smoke that's not overpowering and citrus on the back.

Not as rich as Lagavulin 16, but a great entry level islay that's natural colour, non chill filtered and 46%.

I assume that "entry level" reference concerns pricing rather than an intro to Scotch recommendation!

Oh of course! Definitely not one I'd recommend as an introduction to scotch, or whiskey in general.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I had some of that at Whiskey Live last year, I really liked the Cola one, must keep an eye out for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Flew to Geneva last week, to ski in France. Availed of some good savings thanks to duty free.
    Bought en route and drank a bottle of Teeling Small Batch while over there.
    Bought en route and brought home a bottle of Connemara, and a Nikka from the Barrel.
    Can't remember exactly, but think I saved about 20euro on the Nikka alone. Have yet to open it though, and will be my first time trying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Wailin wrote: »
    Not as rich as Lagavulin 16, but a great entry level islay that's natural colour, non chill filtered and 46%.

As far as it being entry-level price-wise Ardbeg 10 and Lagavulin 16 are pretty similar in price. There are lots of peaty options for less like Laphroaig, Bowmore, or Talisker.

Speaking of a dirt cheap peaty option at the weekend I was finishing up a bottle of Famous Grouse Smoky Black. It's as easy drinking as a Jameson Caskmates but with a fuller smokey character. Nearly a crime to talk about it in terms of the names above but that said I was rather dismissive of it but taken on it's own might warrant a second look given its dirt cheap price.

• Advertisement

If you're talking bargain basement smoke, Aldi's 8 year old blend is what I use for mixing - but still drinkable Black Grouse is a level or two better thah that and usually cheap but not always available in irelabdy

As far as it being entry-level price-wise Ardbeg 10 and Lagavulin 16 are pretty similar in price. There are lots of peaty options for less like Laphroaig, Bowmore, or Talisker.

Speaking of a dirt cheap peaty option at the weekend I was finishing up a bottle of Famous Grouse Smoky Black. It's as easy drinking as a Jameson Caskmates but with a fuller smokey character. Nearly a crime to talk about it in terms of the names above but that said I was rather dismissive of it but taken on it's own might warrant a second look given its dirt cheap price.

Don't know about you but €64.50 compared to €80 for ardbeg and lagavulin is not pretty similar in price to me.

Talisker is not Islay either, which is what I said.

No need to be taking it quiet so literal either, I was enjoying the ardbeg and that's what its all about.

Too many lads on here more focused on trying to find fault in a poster rather than talk about the pleasures of drinking whiskey.

Wasn't trying to find fault at all. Was just saying in my opinion Ardbeg up there with Lagavulin which to me is a mid-tier price. Just wanted to point out there's some great options for the value conscious like myself. I also said peaty not Islay as that's a character I look for.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If you're talking bargain basement smoke, Aldi's 8 year old blend is what I use for mixing - but still drinkable Black Grouse is a level or two better thah that and usually cheap but not always available in irelabdy

Any idea how the Teachers blend compares to the Aldi 8yo?
    Teachers makes great play about being a heavily peated blend.
    Can sometimes pick it up for €20 on offer in Dunnes.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Ah no worries! I suppose I should have worded it better when i said entry level. I meant ardbeg 10 is their entry level whisky, as is lagavulin 16 (although maybe the 8 has taken that slot since it was brought in as a regular release rather than special).

Laphroiag is one I still haven't tried yet and it's not that easy to get here compared to ardbeg or lagavulin. I'm thinking i may not like it as much as the ardbeg or lag but keen to have a go as it's often hailed as the smokiest, peatiest of the regular whiskies!

Laphroaig is my favourite of the lot. I'd recommend starting with Select as it's much like Lagavulin with a great balance. The 10 is harder to come by but there are good deals on the Quarter Cask which are the ultimate with a drop of water to nose and sip all night. It's also so powerful a few drops of it completely changes the character of your favourite Irish whiskey too. Well worth a try.

Laphroaig 10nis the only Laophraig to be at if you're a seasoned Islay drinker.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Any idea how the Teachers blend compares to the Aldi 8yo?
    Teachers makes great play about being a heavily peated blend.
    Can sometimes pick it up for €20 on offer in Dunnes.

Personally I'd prefer the Aldi. Its also consistently under 20, think its 18.99 now.

It has been claimed online that it is extremely similar to the now defunct Bailie Nicol Jarvie blend from Glenmorangie, who are suspected to make it; but as I've never had BNJ I've no idea if that's even vaguely accurate. BNJ was sold as an 8 also so people could be either doing 2+2=5 or be on to something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭mikeecho

This month I'm having Tipperary watershed.

I picked it up in Aldi, it was reduced, to €30 (I think)

At 47%abv it's actually quite nice neat.

I'm surprised that it's not a bigger seller
    It's something I'd pick up again, but since they have it reduced... It's probably end of line 😒

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭pm9999

I'm an Islay fan, Laphroaig 10 being the firm favourite. Not easy to get in RoI, but we often head up to Enniskillen and ASDA. It's c. GBP 35 per 75cl bottle regular price, but has been seen as low as GBP 20 on their "roll back" price offers.

As a cheapie alternative, I'm more than happy to recommend Lidl's Ben Bracken single Islay (green packaging). It's very nice indeed, especially at the price. Patchy availability up to now in RoI (none in Carrick on Shannon this week, plenty in Longford). A 75cl bottle is Eur 25 down here, but that seems a bit naughty when it's only GBP 17.50 in Enniskillen. Bargainalicious up north!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement