Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Move along folks
    Nothing to see here

Anyone else contemplating an MVR purchase in Tesco using their10 quid off every 45 quid spent..
    Priced at 167 so spend another 13 wuid and you'll get everything for 140...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

brinty wrote:
    Anyone else contemplating an MVR purchase in Tesco using their10 quid off every 45 quid spent.. Priced at 167 so spend another 13 wuid and you'll get everything for 140...

The missus has a bottle for me for Christmas. I'm looking forward to savouring it as I've only had it out before.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

brinty wrote: »
    Move along folks
    Nothing to see here

Anyone else contemplating an MVR purchase in Tesco using their10 quid off every 45 quid spent..
    Priced at 167 so spend another 13 wuid and you'll get everything for 140...

Was thinking the exact same but won't be near a Tesco til 29th. Report if it works if you get a chance please?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭limnam

Red spot picked up, looks like it should be coming back in stock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Plenty of red spot in Celtic whiskey shop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Wailin

Whats the verdict on red spot lads?

I only tried it at whiskey live (first sample i went for in fact) and wasn't blown away by it.

Would like to give it another go, maybe at home to savour it some more but thinking of redbreast 15 instead which I'm well acquainted with and love. Cheaper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Picked up a bottle of Cardhu in tesco, looking forward to giving it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

Picked up a bottle of Cardhu in tesco, looking forward to giving it a try.

Well i really loved the Cardhu I opened last night, tight the aromas were amazing and followed through in taste.

Opened a Bushmills 10 tonight and whilst is normally be very happy with it it has a much narrower taste and is a lot firey than the Cardhu which I'm a bit afraid is now setting an expectation level i won't be able to match very often unless i win the lotto :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

As said previously I'm only new to Whiskey, Drop of Kilbeggan tonight, bit rough around the edges..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,498 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most other Speysides are quite like Cardhu. It's just the most easily available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭VW 1

What would you lads drink your whisky from? Id always use a glencairn glass as I've a set of four. I find it funny in films they always seem to use a heavy cut crystal glass, but I'd never consider one for a drink.

Glencairn all the way. The Tuath glass is grand too but not a fan of the awkward base shape.

I've one of those too, the base i dont mind too much as i dont hold it that way, but the outward lip means you're head is way back having a sip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Tasting : Glencairn

Drinking - Tumbler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I've eight different glasses for drinking beer so I use one of them. Must buy a glencairn today actually. See if it makes a difference

The part i dont get about drinking out of a tumbler, if it tastes and smells more intense out of a glencairn, why not always use a glencairn? That said, beer glasses would work just as well assuming the glass narrows towards the top.

VW 1 wrote: »
    The part i dont get about drinking out of a tumbler, if it tastes and smells more intense out of a glencairn, why not always use a glencairn? That said, beer glasses would work just as well assuming the glass narrows towards the top.

Because the base annoys the **** out of me and is more easily knocked over and I find the lip of it too sharp for repeated comfortable drinking.

Because the base annoys the **** out of me and is more easily knocked over and I find the lip of it too sharp for repeated comfortable drinking.

Fair point.. I like the sharp lip. Not criticising btw, let everyone enjoy it whatever way they fancy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Sirius Boner

Have to drink out of a tumbler, glencairn is ok for tasting...but it's just too awkward for a proper drink for me

Currently sipping nikka from the barrel

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Whiskey Eire

I drink out of the glencairn too. I find I take my time more with the drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I use a small brandy glass half way between glencairn and tumbler in size, and fits one ice cube for scotch nicely.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

always been meaning to buy a glencairn but I'm quite content with my (heavy) Waterford Crystal tumbler, all I'm short is a cigar and a Reliant Robin parked outside :)

I did the tour in the Irish whiskey museum at the bottom of Grafton st, for 16 quid you get 3 whiskeys, a tour & a branded glencairn glass. For anyone looking at buying one, it's an hour well spent.

Red Spot verdict:

Very tasty, gorgeous colour, nice long finish whilst still being quite light.

Probably not 115e worth but definitely more worth its price than the Yellow Spot.

Green Spot lb for lb probably still the king of them for me, but all in all very happy with it.

I'm coming to the end of a bottle of Hibiki 12 that I only price checked a replacement of recently. Would cost north of 500e because of the shortage of Japanese. Think I'll keep that put away for a while and have the Red Spot for my premium tipple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

Surprised to find a bottle of this in a hamper. Didn't think it was available anymore :)

DXti8oY.jpg

Very interesting! It was rebranded simply as "Crested" a few years ago. Was always a lovely one.

Got a bottle of Method & madness single grain from a friend, must be the first virgin oak barrelled whiskey I've ever had, as it really impacts the flavour, it's like drinking a lovely whiskey in a carpenters shop it's gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

Very interesting! It was rebranded simply as "Crested" a few years ago. Was always a lovely one.

Yeah, I've had the Crested but not had the original. Apparently it's different from what I've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Samuri Suicide

Scapa. Absolutely delicious and smooth...highly recommended.

• Advertisement

Santa was good to me this year lads :D

45543965855_cd452323b5_c.jpg

Will be tasting the Glengoyne shortly and can't bloody wait! Have a good one folks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement