Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strokestown **Mod Note in Post #4461**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

klaaaz wrote: »
    Local journo for the Democrat regional newspaper. The Stasi would be proud of that arrest.
    Mr. Corcoran issued a joint press statement with former councillor Tom Crosby, saying he was opting out of running in the next local elections, and would instead by endorsing Mr. Crosby. Meanwhile, the Democrat has slightly grandiosely proclaimed that it will not be accepting political advertisements (mind you, it does carry an ad for local election candidate Mr. Crosby…in his capacity as a businessman).
    review of the paper from the Roscommon people http://www.roscommonpeople.ie/news/48-news/democratic-revolution-in-strokestown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Omackeral wrote: »
    Billcarson wrote: »
    Firstly I know ulster has 3 counties in this " wonderful " republic. So don't get smart with me mate.

I'm not your buddy, guy.

Oh that you are not. I can tell you that much MATE. You make speak down your nose to others but not to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Local journo for the Democrat regional newspaper. The Stasi would be proud of that arrest.

Is that a proper published periodical or a made up online one like The Liberal?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

What is this nonsense?

If they're actively serving in the British army, they're loyal to the crown, whether they describe themselves as such is neither here nor there, nor is it derogatory in describing them as such either.

Might just be making a stable wage. Plenty of lads from this country have joined the BA for that reason. Many are as apolitical as ya like. That goes back decades.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

I think it's time to declare a state of martial law in the county of Roscommon. Mobilise the barracks in Athlone immediately. Curfew from 4pm to 8am. Shoot to kill.

Billcarson wrote: »
    Oh that you are not. I can tell you that much MATE

I'm not you pal, friend.

Depends. The farmers have a concern over the eviction notice and believe it not to be legal. From what I read they have engaged their solicitors in that regard.
    Always two sides to everything and so far mainstream media has only presented one.

You missed or avoided the first question. Regardless of if you think there were assaults or not, people from the UK have a right to work in this country as EU Members. Do you accept that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

gandalf wrote: »

It furthers my point that if you show dissent against FFG in power, you're liable to be arrested under any excuse to intimidate and stop the truth coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

You missed or avoided the first question. Regardless of if you think there were assaults or not, people from the UK have a right to work in this country as EU Members. Do you accept that?

no I didnt. The quote thing kept it under it my man. I said 100%. My problem is they came down and assaulted people. The other issue is simply the optics. What the hell were they thinking? Reminds me of when George Foreman was parading around with german shepherds in Zaire. Bad PR move dudes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

P_1 wrote: »
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=521998308280272&id=433698377110266

Context. KBC are trying to evict people from a property in Strokestown. On Tuesday a gang of people from north of the border who identify as British moved in on the property, assaulting people ( there are videos floating about online about this). Last night a large group of people seemingly took the property back, 2 dogs are dead and several northern registered vans have been burnt out.

Several questions. Main one is what on earth were KBC thinking going down this road? Have they no idea of the historical context of doing this? Second question is how this is going to be framed by the national media.

If they are occupying the property illegally, should the Irish army surround it, ghetto-blast the place with sean nos songs as Gaeilge around the clock, and stink bombs, turn off the water and electricity and starve them out? I would say no, but only because we cannot hope nationalists in the North will make a great effort to be nice to unionists if we are not seen to do so when they come the South.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,039 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'm not your buddy, guy.

Touché! :)

Great guitarist.

Not your ornery onager

It furthers my point that if you show dissent against FFG in power, you're liable to be arrested under any excuse to intimidate and stop the truth coming out.

Has he been arrested though. He's handed over his laptop and phone without any fight at all it seems. A real journalist wouldn't give up their sources? I hope none of the "heroes" were in touch with him..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

If their twitter posts are to believed yes they do print papers.
    It's a publication that's available free in shops in Roscommon, Longford, and Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I'm not you pal, friend.

Allright Bud

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

according to a full on nut jub like gemma o doherty he wasn't arrested but he is being questioned , seems like he is there of his own accord

and whats more he brought his phone and laptop to them .......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Weren't you here last week confidently telling us that the taxation in this country is far too low and we all need to pay more.

This week your here defending some dumbass who owes the revenue a couple of hundred grand in a serious fraud that they likely will not collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 4theVoiceless

Has he been arrested though. He's handed over his laptop and phone without any fight at all it seems. A real journalist wouldn't give up their sources? I hope none of the "heroes" were in touch with him..

And a hurler on the ditch isn't a real hurler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

mynamejeff wrote: »
    according to a full on nut jub like gemma o doherty he wasn't arrested but he is being questioned , seems like he is there of his own accord

15 minutes of fame then back reporting on cattle marts and the fodder shortage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I have spoken to alot of rural and country people over the last few days since this broke and almost every single person was 100% behind the family in Roscommon and actions of the Mob. Leo Varadkar to come out yesterday with his statement was practically the biggest own goal he could have done.

Sectarian divisions will always exist whilst the British occupy Northern Ireland and this has really reopened old wounds, Land is incredibly important and those without it will never understand it. The beauty of the land, farmers are the stewards, they got it from their fore-fathers, their grand father fought and died for it, their great grandfathers were tortured over it. John B. Keane captured it beautifully in the field.

mynamejeff wrote: »

Now tbh taking GoD's word for anything is like believing the town drunks stories as fact.

If he has handed over his phone and laptop like that he can forget a career as a journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

theguzman wrote: »
    The beauty of the land, farmers are the stewards, they got it from their fore-fathers, their grand father fought and died for it, their great grandfathers were tortured over it. John B. Keane captured it beautifully in the field.

Stop with the romamce would ya. Brothers will shoot brothers over it.

My own family has had fierce fights over it. Look at the story of the field.

The land is a curse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Depends. The farmers have a concern over the eviction notice and believe it not to be legal. From what I read they have engaged their solicitors in that regard.
    Always two sides to everything and so far mainstream media has only presented one.

Concern? Or just Ben Gilroy and his ilk spouting Freeman nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

If they're actively serving in the British army, they're loyal to the crown, whether they describe themselves as such is neither here nor there, nor is it derogatory in describing them as such either.

It is however fact.

Just because you say it is fact, does not make it fact.

If I work in Tesco does that mean I am loyal to Tesco and will only shop there?

so was Anthony McGann into development or was all his business farming related?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Naos wrote: »
    Just because you say it is fact, does not make it fact.

If I work in Tesco does that mean I am loyal to Tesco and will only shop there?

Do you have to swear an oath of allegiance to Tesco when you are hired?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Might just be making a stable wage. Plenty of lads from this country have joined the BA for that reason. Many are as apolitical as ya like. That goes back decades.

Swearing an oath of allegiance to the crown is a requirement of the British Army.

Swearing the oath with your fingers crossed behind doesn't quite absolve one from it.

So once again, a serving member of the British Army makes them loyal to the crown so long as they're doing the job.

Nothing wrong with that either by the way, but it is factual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Stop with the romamce would ya. Brothers will shoot brothers over it.

My own family has had fierce fights over it. Look at the story of the field.

The land is a curse.

Without land you are cursed, no farmer need ever go hungry. With taxation at over 70% avoiding tax is a personal responsibility and not something to be criticised but rather it should be applauded.

Advertisement