Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strokestown **Mod Note in Post #4461**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

I cant wait for the reconstruction on Crimetime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

they actually do understand it. however, when in general (forget about this particular bank) banks have not been seen to have been punished where they have been wreckless, then it's not surprising people will decide what is good for the goose is good for the gander. it's not right, but it is what it is .

I get your point in general, but in this case you have posters saying ' but but but the banks', when in this case the bank in question got no bailout. Then you get 'but but but the loyalists'. They could be but I've yet to see proof.

My point is the people are quick to point the finger but not so quick to actually help their neighbours. Forget about coming to burn a few vans at 4 in the morning, I'm talking about getting these people back on their feet, and help them keep the bank from the door. Surely some of their farming neighbours could have come in and given them advice how to maximise their business, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Any proof they weren't?

So if there’s no proof then we assume they were? And even if they were they’re disqualified from working security? As if shady people or former IRA are never given security jobs this side of the border or the other side.

I'm well aware theyre called Garda Síochána I just had to dumb it down for a few people. I was merely pointing out that our irish police force should have the duty as opposed to hiring scum to carry out these types of evictions..

Gardai have enough to do with actual criminal matters, it is not up to the police force of the country to involve themselves in civil matters.
    Gardai are not to be used as private security for banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Would it have been better if it was dubs that were sent down to do the job? Would they have got a better reception from the locals?

Yes. Night and day. Bringing loyalist scum into the south to evict Irish people was a big mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Effects wrote: »
    Don't pay your mortgage, you lose your house. Is that too simplistic?

Wait. What? Is this an Irish forum? Are you Irish? How on earth can you defend this, your a disgrace.

backspin. wrote: »
    Yes. Night and day. Bringing loyalist scum into the south to evict Irish people was a big mistake.

Why would a Dutch bank care about the political ties of the security they hire? As I said above. Do u think former IRA scum are never given security jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭koheim

I am all for that people should pay their debts!, BUT in a modern country in 2018 this should not happen. 3 Elderly siblings that lived all their lives in on a farm. their parents before them, thrown out on the side of the road by foreign "security" people. That is more than bad optics, there must be a better way.

As a society you can't abandon people on the street because they made bad decision, where unlucky or maybe got sick. As a society we can't keep growing the gap between the rich and the poor. As a society violence from the authorities is 100% unacceptable.

i think this might be a important event, will be interesting to follow. And hopefully the media will cover it properly

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Wait. What? Is this an Irish forum? Are you Irish? How on earth can you defend this, your a disgrace.

I’m Irish and I’ll defend it all day long. Banks or any private lender should have the right to unload non performing loans. Totally fair commercial practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Sean.3516 wrote: »
    I’m Irish and I’ll defend it all day long. Banks or any private lender should have the right to unload non performing loans. Totally fair commercial practice.

In this fashion? Are you for real?

• Advertisement

koheim wrote: »
    I am all for that people should pay their debts!, BUT in a modern country in 2018 this should not happen. 3 Elderly siblings that lived all their lives in on a farm. their parents before them, thrown out on the side of the road by foreign "security" people. That is more than bad optics, there must be a better way.

As a society you can't abandon people on the street because they made bad decision, where unlucky or maybe got sick. As a society we can't keep growing the gap between the rich and the poor. As a society violence from the authorities is 100% unacceptable.

i think this might be a important event, will be interesting to follow. And hopefully the media will cover it properly

So how would you have handled it if you were the bank? And is violence from private individuals is not also unacceptable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

bubblypop wrote: »
    Gardai have enough to do with actual criminal matters, it is not up to the police force of the country to involve themselves in civil matters.
    Gardai are not to be used as private security for banks.

Jesus somebody get me a piece of chalk...

I'm aware that the guards cant be used as security firms, however they can be used if someone is refusing to leave the house as instructed. Which is much better than getting a few jumped up scumbags to beat the evictees up. Now is that much clearer? Shall i draw you a picture to illustrate?

Also, wouldn't it be a shame if our police force had to do some actual work outside fabricating speeding tickets and ruining whistleblowers' lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Sean.3516 wrote:
    Why would a Dutch bank care about the political ties of the security they hire? As I said above. Do u think former IRA scum are never given security jobs.

What's the IRA got to do with this particular issue - nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the_syco wrote: »
    If the national banks went bust, you'd need to reply on foreign banks for loans and mortgages.

But why would a foreign bank loan you anything when the national bank went bust for doing just that?

KBC isn't a national Irish bank, however, so your point is not relevant in this case.

It seems the house & farm was put against a remortgage to expand the farm, and said farm was in the family for generations.

It's alleged that a "2020 white paper" for farming encouraged farmers to expand, and if this is true, there'll be more farm evictions in the coming months/years. How these will be handled, after the events today, shall be interesting.

is that EU Cap 2020 white paper ‘The Future of Food and Farming’. https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/cap-reform-post-2020-moves-one-step-closer-in-brussels/ or this Food Harvest 2020 from 2010 https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/foodindustrydevelopmenttrademarkets/agri-foodandtheeconomy/foodharvest2020/2020FoodHarvestEng240810.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

neither would be fine. security shouldn't be involved in the actual eviction. they should only be able to do the basic security job after the eviction is finished.
    evictions and similar should only be caried out by an arm of the gardai.

If people ****ed off out of property they haven't paid for of their own accord when the bank asked them, nevermind gathering up local vigilante scumbags, then nothing would be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

koheim wrote: »

What should have been done?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

HamSarris wrote: »
    It’s times like these when you realise how far removed boards.ie is from the real world.

The most common argument seems to be:

I’m happy for elderly people to be forcefully evicted by loyalist militia if it results in a percentage point decrease in my mortgage interest rate

I haven't seen anyone say that.

People are saying that if you get a loan, you are expected to pay it back. And if you don't there are consequences.

Evictions take a long time. It's not like you miss a payment and that's it. There's a long stage of negotiation and court dates.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    In this fashion? Are you for real?

What’s a bank supposed to do with an unperforming loan? Just forget about it? I would rather have Gardaí carry out forced evictions rather than private security. But there is no excuse for assaulting the private security afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

eagle eye wrote: »
    You don't seem to get it. I don't think people would be quite so annoyed if this was done in a peaceful manner by people from this side of the border.
    Sending in a bunch of thugs from Northern Ireland is going to infuriate a lot of people.

What would happen under a unitied ireland ? You cant work in the former republic and visa versa

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Sean.3516 wrote: »

Dutch ? A Flemish farmers association

In the core shareholders :

MRBB (part of the Flemish farmers' association) controls around 11%,

KBC Ancora controls 19%,

CERA (the largest cooperative in Wallonia) 3%

a group of industrialist families controls another 7%

• Advertisement

HamSarris wrote: »
    It’s times like these when you realise how far removed boards.ie is from the real world.

The most common argument seems to be:

I’m happy for elderly people to be forcefully evicted by loyalist militia if it results in a percentage point decrease in my mortgage interest rate

G.B. Shaw: "Put an Irishman on the spit and you can always get another Irishman to turn him". Apt for this thread I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭mulbot

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'm sure KBC aren't employing 'heavies' themselves, its more they are employing a private security or repossession firm, and KBC have no control over who a private firm hires.

To say "KBC are bringing in loyalist paramilitaries to evict people" is a mistruth.

Rubbish-From time to time I sub-contract to a main contractor who has had to get myself and crew Garda vetted(at the requests of the clients) to allow us to work.

TCM wrote: »
    What's the IRA got to do with this particular issue - nothing.

What I’m saying is that people wouldn’t be half worked up by the bank’s security were not former UVF. Why do we care that they were UVF. I’m no fan of the UVF but it’s got nothing to do with the reason they were there and the job they were doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

G.B. Shaw: "Put an Irishman on the spit and you can always get another Irishman to turn him". Apt for this thread I think.

The same people who condemn "dem dirty hippy protesters" for using violence are perfectly ok for it to be used when evicting people.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Some gob****e has added this to the KBC Bank Wiki page.
    KBC are the bank that initiated a high profile violent property repossession utilising ex UVF members in Strokestown, in County Roscommon in December 2018 [3]

gctest50 wrote: »
    Dutch ? A Flemish farmers association

In the core shareholders :

MRBB (part of the Flemish farmers' association) controls around 11%,

KBC Ancora controls 19%,

CERA (the largest cooperative in Wallonia) 3%

a group of industrialist families controls another 7%

Apologies, I thought they were Dutch

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I cant wait for the reconstruction on Crimetime!

All the fair city extras will be required

And rover the dog too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

A lot of speculation here on here.

Central roscommon does have a strong IRA under current. That part of Roscommon does have a strong traditional/conservative mindset that has taken a battering on a good few social and economic issues in last 10 years. So faith in civil structures of state would not be high.

There's a desire for hands on action to fight back against perceived lack of state support or sympathy for the ordinary citizen typical in these parts.

Evicting an old farming family from a house two weeks before Christmas by men in British registered vans was always likely to be a dangerous move.

None of that is an excuse.

Going to be difficult to secure arrests and convictions, I'd imagine there'll be a strong "Robin Hood" effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Seemingly the "raid" for lack of a better term may have been led by Ben Gilroy and the rest of the loolahs leading the Irish Yellow Vest movement. This is what happens when you get the optics so wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

P_1 wrote: »
    Seemingly the "raid" for lack of a better term may have been led by Ben Gilroy and the rest of the loolahs leading the Irish Yellow Vest movement. This is what happens when you get the optics so wrong.

Ben of the family Gilroy you mean

Advertisement