Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strokestown **Mod Note in Post #4461**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

keavebm wrote: »
    Very funny. These are ordinary people with a small house and feck all land. Why dont the banks ever go after the ones with the money that owe money? Cause they are afraid they will always pick on the poor. And the scumbags that were evicting them. Fair play who ever burnt the vans.**** off back to Belfast. And the best bit! A man been assaulted by these scum and a ****in guard watching it. And people wonder why the guards are hated. To protect the people me ****in arse another shower of corrupt *****

. These are ordinary people with a small house and feck all land.

You seem to know them well

When were they in court ? ( save looking)

How much money were they evicted over ?

JCJCJC wrote: »
    Don’t want to say right now, can do without the ****-storm it might generate.

Well then don't mention it in the first place?

Very funny. These are ordinary people with a small house and feck all land. Why dont the banks ever go after the ones with the money that owe money? Cause they are afraid they will always pick on the poor. And the scumbags that were evicting them. Fair play who ever burnt the vans.**** off back to Belfast. And the best bit! A man been assaulted by these scum and a ****in guard watching it. And people wonder why the guards are hated. To protect the people me ****in arse another shower of corrupt *****

People 'with money' probably get chased, too, but don't degrade themselves to the level of having to be dragged out of property for all the world to see.

Loans are very simple to understand. I'd imagine you'd hold a grudge with me for the rest of your life if I got a lend of a tenner off you and didn't pay it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Billcarson wrote: »
    Getting thugs from the north to do the banks dirty work is even more of a shocker. Some of the comments on this thread supporting the banks actions just shows the reason why this country is the way it is. That's what I find really shocking. Im not saying people should not pay back loans but ffs. A bit of solidarity amoung the people of this country against the elite etc is what's needed . Cop the f on.

Solidatory me hole. We already pay the highest interest rates in Europe thanks to the pussy footed manner evictions and non repayment of loans is handled here. Hows that for solidatory? So the rest of us already pay for these plonkers to sit in properties they can't afford/won't pay for.
    The emotional guilt tripping is always rolled out in these instances of course but the truth is likely a lot different. (Flashbacks to famine evictions and so).
    You're actually a perfect example of the do gooder culture pervading irish culture and it's always the middle that end up paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

If I have the right property, Google Maps indicates a substantial farm building out the back of the property.

Might be an over-investment ?
    there was a rte primetime programme some years back about how dogey lenders encouraged people to borrow and build big barns? https://www.rte.ie/about/en/press-office/press-releases/2015/0205/678134-the-loot-the-loans-a-special-report-rte-investigations-unit/

i thought there some government aspect to this too, where they'd get a grant from the government to build the barns...? TAMS ? the farm modernisation scheme?

JCJCJC wrote: »
    Don’t want to say right now, can do without the ****-storm it might generate.

I'd take a wild guess and say a border/north western county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Billcarson wrote: »
    Getting thugs from the north to do the banks dirty work is even more of a shocker. Some of the comments on this thread supporting the banks actions just shows the reason why this country is the way it is. That's what I find really shocking. Im not saying people should not pay back loans but ffs. A bit of solidarity amoung the people of this country against the elite etc is what's needed . Cop the f on.

Most people seem ok with a foreign bank hiring loyalist thugs to come into this country and abuse elderly citizens of this country. Like you, most people have no major issue with repossession if the person won't engage.
    I know it's yet to be proven they were loyalist but regardless, posters here don't seem to have an issue if they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

road_high wrote: »
    I'd take a wild guess and say a border/north western county.

Seems more like an educated guess.... that’s all I’ll say 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

tigerboon wrote: »
    Most people seem ok with a foreign bank hiring loyalist thugs to come into this country and abuse elderly citizens of this country. Like you, most people have no major issue with repossession if the person won't engage.
    I know it's yet to be proven they were loyalist but regardless, posters here don't seem to have an issue if they were.

A guy in Roscommon, in a hostile situation, makes a point of correcting a man who calls him Irish, by saying 'I'm British'.

It takes NI loyalist obduracy to do it.

I have my doubts that he's Alliance Party.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

hurler32 wrote: »
    It seems like the Fine Gael government has lost all touch with rural Ireland . Big protest march in castlerea co rosscommon today against gardai beating up two men in that town last weekend . The guards working with the loyalist repossession gangs seems to have been the straw that broke the camels back in rosscommon this week .

Whats the story here?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

These people took out a loan.

They could not pay it back.

Don't see the issue. The bank is perfectly entitled to take control of the property.

Non story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭keavebm

gctest50 wrote:

Yes i do know these people. Thats there business not mine. I dont think they owed as much as the banks did when they got bailed out. I hope this answers ur question

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Is this another case of people taking out loans on property they couldn’t afford and then finding out they might be evicted from the property they never actually paid for in the first place? Shocker!

Property was well paid for seeing as the house was built in the 1950s'.

This was obviously a loan for machinery / sheds or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

gctest50 wrote:

Yes i do know these people. Thats there business not mine. I dont think they owed as much as the banks did when they got bailed out. I hope this answers ur question
    KBC got zero of tax payers money

What did the elderly people living in the house do, to eventually get a court order to be evicted?

I'm not defending the actions of either side in this

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

As far as they, and all their neighbours, are concerned this is 'their land' and taking a loan from a bank would never justify seizing that land from them.

Sounds cool. Maybe I'll take out a loan on my land with the same theory and not pay it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Was it some branch of the Ra who showed up around 5 am this morning to dole out the beatings?

Property was well paid for seeing as the house was built in the 1950s'.

This was obviously a loan for machinery / sheds or whatever.

Doesn't matter.

If the property is collateral on the transaction there is nothing more to be said.

Nobody wants to see anybody evicted, not the banks or anyone else.

The system runs on enforcement and sanctity of contracts which is what a loan is.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    KBC got zero of tax payers money

What did the elderly people living in the house do, to eventually get a court order to be evicted?

I'm not defending the actions of either side in this

Yes dying to hear the actual truth here too...though i fear we will have a very long wait/if ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

The makey uppy excuse (to garner sympathy) is that they were attacking loyalist paramilitaries :rolleyes:

The reality is they were attacking an IRISH HIGH COURT order which granted the repossession.

Its a challenge to the authority of the state and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Who bailed out KBC?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,527 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Don't see the issue. The bank is perfectly entitled to take control of the property.
    These people took out a loan.
    They could not pay it back.
    Non story.
    h2005 wrote:
    Do you remember when the banks took out loans and couldn't repay them?
    Well I do and guess who paid their loans, me and you and every other tax payer in the country. They did get kicked out of their buildings.
    So an ordinary man isn't able to repay and you have no sympathy for him and back the banks?

• Advertisement

tigerboon wrote: »

Do you think after obviusly a very long time of non engagement with the said bank for non payment of a loan they'd be sending people around to read them a bedtime story?
    They choose not go without a fight, can hardly protest when the softly softly aproach comes to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Were KBC bailed out ?

eagle eye wrote: »
    Do you remember when the banks took out loans and couldn't repay them?
    Well I do and guess who paid their loans, me and you and every other tax payer in the country. They did get kicked out of their buildings.
    So an ordinary man isn't able to repay and you have no sympathy for him and back the banks?

And your solution is leave the poor aul craters in it for free so? Think i'll cancel my own mortage in the morning so, after all these big evil banks simply owe me one after the bailouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Billcarson wrote:

But you are saying that people shouldn't pay back loans.

How about a bit of solidarity with people paying high interest rates because its almost impossible for banks to deal with defaulters.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭HamSarris

It’s times like these when you realise how far removed boards.ie is from the real world.

The most common argument seems to be:

I’m happy for elderly people to be forcefully evicted by loyalist militia if it results in a percentage point decrease in my mortgage interest rate

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

archer22 wrote: »

Its a challenge to the authority of the state and nothing else.

Is challenging the authority of the state from time to time such a bad idea though?

And your solution is leave the poor aul craters in it for free so? Think i'll cancel my own mortage in the morning so, after all these big evil banks simply owe me one after the bailouts.

If anyone could stay in their homes on that basis the banks balance sheets take a catastrophic hit and then taxpayers have to bail them out again or the country would face national bankruptcy.

But logic seems to be in short supply for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Solidatory me hole. We already pay the highest interest rates in Europe thanks to the pussy footed manner evictions and non repayment of loans is handled here. Hows that for solidatory? So the rest of us already pay for these plonkers to sit in properties they can't afford/won't pay for.
    The emotional guilt tripping is always rolled out in these instances of course but the truth is likely a lot different. (Flashbacks to famine evictions and so).
    You're actually a perfect example of the do gooder culture pervading irish culture and it's always the middle that end up paying for it.

perhapse the reason that we have the system we have in relation to evictions and non-repayment of loans is to keep other costs to us down that may increase to more then the interest rates if we were to change? after all, if we simply allowed the banks to get on with evictions we may end up with thousands more adding to an already high demand. while it could be argued it might sort itself out to an extent i have a feeling that the reality would likely be otherwise. all well and good a bank in the current situation taking less for a house they have taken back but would they continue to do that if there was suddenly a large supply due to large scale evictions being caried out? i have a feeling no would be the case myself as i don't think institutions like banks tend to learn?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Do you think after obviusly a very long time of non engagement with the said bank for non payment of a loan they'd be sending people around to read them a bedtime story?
    They choose not go without a fight, can hardly protest when the softly softly aproach comes to an end.

If that's the case fair enough. The issue is hiring loyalist goons to do their dirty work. Are you ok with scum, who hate us southerners, being paid to assault our citizens? Have you no shame?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

There’s a reason why we have the highest mortgage rates in Europe. Our Irish banks have a high NPL book, on the back of the governments policy back during the recession to make quite favourable conditions for those who could not (or in some cases did not want to) pay their mortgages.lots of forbearance options given by the banks to mortgage holders in default etc and losing your home (if you engaged with the bank) was the very last resort.

In this case, for those opposed to the outcome, what would you suggest was a better path for the bank to take?

Advertisement