Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Deirdre - Saturday 15 December 2018

• 13-12-2018 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

From Met Éireann - issued today at 10.00 am

Status Yellow - Weather Advisory for Ireland

Potential for severe weather on Saturday 15th December. Hazardous conditions may result from heavy rain, and possibly wind also.

Issued: Thursday 13 December 2018 10:00

Updated: Thursday 13 December 2018 10:00

Valid from Saturday 15 December 2018 00:01 to Saturday 15 December 2018 23:59

Update :
    XQ9Mb39.png

yWZfY8T.png

oLZqLr9.png

Status Orange - Wind warning for Ireland
    A developing depression (Storm Deirdre) will track northeast over Ireland during Saturday afternoon and evening and will bring wet and windy weather to all areas.
    West or northwest winds will reach mean speeds of 65km/h with gusts of 100km/h generally, with disruptive and damaging gusts to 130km/h likely for a few hours in western and southern counties in the late afternoon and transferring eastwards during the evening.

Issued: Friday 14 December 2018 22:00

Updated: Friday 14 December 2018 22:00

Valid from Saturday 15 December 2018 15:00 to Saturday 15 December 2018 23:59

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Met Eireann mention the potential for severe weather on Saturday, but don't mention the wind speeds and rainfall amounts as they usually do.

Is this just an advance warning for the possibility of an Orange or Red warning scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I can't see much for warnings on Saturday, I hope that I am right.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Pops_20 wrote: »
    Met Eireann mention the potential for severe weather on Saturday, but don't mention the wind speeds and rainfall amounts as they usually do.

Is this just an advance warning for the possibility of an Orange or Red warning scenario?

It’s an advisory, not a warning. Warnings will be issued when time comes closer and or certainty grows.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: I changed thread title as there is no indication of any storm (just yet), just potential for a very wet and windy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

It was pretty severe wind and rain wise last night in parts of the south and there was very little about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

It was pretty severe wind and rain wise last night in parts of the south and there was very little about it.

Similar here in south Donegal. Wind dnc rain woke me up 3 times last night and plenty of branches on the lane this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Met É issued yellow advisories for both wind and rain covering, Kerry, Cork, Waterford and Wexford for this period.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The Met models must be showing an awful lot of rain to issue a warning this far in advance. Of course being a very busy shopping day Saturday could be another reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Met É issued yellow advisories for both wind and rain covering, Kerry, Cork, Waterford and Wexford for this period.

Ya I’m aware of that but i though it merited an orange warning level for both wind and rain. River black water burst it’s banks and the power went out and the sustained wind along with the gusts well inland were unreal. Lots of flooding in plenty areas across south Munster today. Anyways just an opinion

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

ECM 12z showing little impact from Wind more of a rain event. Of course all depends on the track and how much the low deepens.

• Advertisement

ECM 12z showing little impact from Wind more of a rain event. Of course all depends on the track and how much the low deepens.

Yep seems to be a lot of rain on the Hirlam model. Not too often you see the red/dark red for a prolonged period.

https://www.dmi.dk/vejr/til-lands/vejrkort/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Yep seems to be a lot of rain on the Hirlam model. Not too often you see the red/dark red for a prolonged period.

https://www.dmi.dk/vejr/til-lands/vejrkort/
    Could you imagine if that was snow..
    some mountain is going to be a meter or so higher by Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ya I’m aware of that but i though it merited an orange warning level for both wind and rain. River black water burst it’s banks and the power went out and the sustained wind along with the gusts well inland were unreal. Lots of flooding in plenty areas across south Munster today. Anyways just an opinion

Fair enough, I wasn't aware there had been some damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The worst part of the HIRLAM 12Z is what happens the precipitation as soon as it crosses the Irish Sea... :(

hirlamuk-1-48-0.png?13-17

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

They've really gone over the top here. The wind aspect is very doubtful and the rain while heavy is nothing more than a yellow. The pubs and shops won't be too happy if it's a non event

They've really gone over the top here. The wind aspect is very doubtful and the rain while heavy is nothing more than a yellow. The pubs and shops won't be too happy if it's a non event

Given it is one of the busiest Saturdays of the year and all the extra traffic, I guess Met Eireann are covering all bases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Don't see how they've gone over the top, a yellow advisory has been issued that's not even a warning .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

'Status Yellow - Weather Advisory for Ireland
    Potential for severe weather on Saturday 15th December. Hazardous conditions may result from heavy rain, and possibly wind also.'

I think places on Sat could have between 20 - 40 mm ( higher up to 50 locally in the NE and possibly more in general depending on the evolution of the Low ) . This will be on top of tomorrow's rain and sizeable accumulations for the week so far . On Sat the rain will be heavy with very dull poor visibility and atm the charts are showing winds up to 70 approx in general overland, up to 90 km on the SE ,E , NE, N coasts during daylight hours ( could be windy in the W, NE in the early hours for a time ).

So yes I believe conditions could be hazardous , at the least heavy surface water and spot flooding but could easily start running into more general flooding also.

Need to keep an eye on how the low develops, atm only mentioning possible windy weather. A large area of high winds not too far off the S and SE coasts could move closer to Ireland or not, we will see. The models have been grappling all week with various scenarios, they have been showing very windy weather and dropping it in repeat numerous times, obviously very difficult for them to work out. Met Eireann are taking wise cautious steps in relation to Saturday's weather in my view and of course are only too aware of the amount of people that will be on the move so near to Christmas. Totally reasonable to put out an advisory to be cautious and aware of potential hazards.

se9JOYn.png

lYH6Zzp.png

jViTW1I.png

UdvtiYD.png

cvFtiSk.png

WPJZYtX.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Ty Prehistoric Lark

The Met models must be showing an awful lot of rain to issue a warning this far in advance. Of course being a very busy shopping day Saturday could be another reason.

Absolutely. All the ME guys want to be able to get to the shops without the usual crowds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

18z confirms what it will be....A standard windy and wet day. For someone who grew up in the 80s in the pre warning era it's bog standard winter weather!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

18z confirms what it will be....A standard windy and wet day. For someone who grew up in the 80s in the pre warning era it's bog standard winter weather!!

289mm so far in November and December in Southeast and another 100mm possible in next 5 days! Not sure if your memory is serving you well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Is it Storm Deirdre yet?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Villain wrote: »
    289mm so far in November and December in Southeast and another 100mm possible in next 5 days! Not sure if your memory is serving you well.

And in the capital of the South East a ridiculous total of 407.9mm in November and December.

www.waterfordweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

And in the capital of the South East a ridiculous total of 407.9mm in November and December.

www.waterfordweather.com

Does that mean the hosepipe ban will be lifted? ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ICON similar to HIRLAM in track and timing on the latest run bringing the strongest winds overnight and easing late morning / early afternoon, don't look too strong atm apart from coasts, more in the Yellow range . ARPEGE similar but a bit later for winds to clear on the 18Z.

More Notable that the models showing large rainfall accumulations in the W, NW , N and SE by Sat evening.

Models showing differences in rainfall accumulations , differing to the last run , will become clearer tomorrow no doubt.

Edit: Just to add still a need to keep an eye on the wind as uncertainty still remains.

tempresult_yiy3.gif

arpegeuk-25-49-0_anu7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

UkMO forecast just now giving heavy rain with strong winds moving up from the South West.
    Just to make people jealous,they mentioned disruptive snow for Northern England and virtually all of Scotland with a wind chill of -5 over Eastern Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

UkMO forecast just now giving heavy rain with strong winds moving up from the South West.
    Just to make people jealous,they mentioned disruptive snow for Northern England and virtually all of Scotland with a wind chill of -5 over Eastern Britain.

Not a day to be sailing, on a ferry or boat tbh ...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Is there any danger of flight disruption from DUB as a direct result of this please guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Paully D wrote: »
    Is there any danger of flight disruption from DUB as a direct result of this please guys?

Oh for the love of......................

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Paully D wrote: »

No. Very unlikely.

Joanna D going for a wetter spell weather, Monday into Tuesday, than tomorrow.

Advertisement