Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chit chat number nein

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Water John wrote: »
    Chassis No?

I couldn't tell you.

It is raining on a busy corner in undergrowth and the guards are in attendance waiting for a tow truck. So I left them at it.

No fence broke and no weanlings on the road.
    So that'll do me.

Ain't she a great little one.

Greta Thunberg (@GretaThunberg) Tweeted:
    Climate leaders don’t just talk.
    They act.
    Join us!!
    Global climate strike 14 December.
    Spread the word!!
    #FridaysForFuture #ClimateStrike #ClimateChallenge #ClimateLeader #cop24 #schoolstrike4climate https://t.co/f5A2WogQxr https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1072879958446481408?s=17

I must do it tomorrow for the cod during my teagasc phosphorus course!
    I'll just stand up in silence...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,211 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Job for tomorrow night, hopefully. The thinking about it is worse than the doing for me though.

And it gives me a kick up the backside when I think about friends I haven't talked to in a few months:o
    It's a bit sad marking people off the christmas card list that have died during the year :cool: Anyway all done now and 1 stamp to spare.

Wicked organization minus ear numbess!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/no-evidence-of-deer-role-in-tb-outside-wicklow-department-vet-426094

Ryan explained the Department did not dispute that deer could pass TB to cattle but that they disputed whether it played a significant role outside of Wicklow.

He said: “The question isn’t whether it happens at all, it is whether it is significant.”

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,379 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

orm0nd wrote: »
    swap with you,

writing cheques here and another vulture contractor on route

I'd say you were glad of that vulture at one stage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Contractors who hold onto a cheque :mad::mad::mad:
    Lodge the fcuking thing ffs.

Contractors who hold onto a cheque :mad::mad::mad:
    Lodge the fcuking thing ffs.

Don't forget winter is a slow time for some contractors so some like spread out the cashing of cheques

Reggie. wrote: »
    Don't forget winter is a slow time for some contractors so some like spread out the cashing of cheques

Yea fantastic but we need our costs to be on this side of the year too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,087 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Not reallly fair on the payer though, can hit the account a really bad time.
    People forget and spend the money again.......put it into a savings account if you don't want to spend it

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »
    Not reallly fair on the payer though, can hit the account a really bad time.
    People forget and spend the money again.......put it into a savings account if you don't want to spend it

True but don't forget contractors sometimes have to wait months sometimes even a year to get money aswell.

What's good for the goose....

Yea fantastic but we need our costs to be on this side of the year too :rolleyes:

And the contractor could be trying to stretch out payments too so that he's not pole axed on vat in one month

True but don't forget contractors sometimes have to wait months sometimes even a year to get money aswell.

What's good for the goose....

No way to carry on a business though, I think I'd bounce it just to give him a fright if he didn't lodge it

No way to carry on a business though, I think I'd bounce it just to give him a fright if he didn't lodge it

Its the nature of the business and its how it's done. Can't blame a person for trying to save themselves money.

I think purposefully bouncing a cheque on a man which might have a crucial payment due on a machine a far worse act.

I think that's a poor reflection on yourself that you even mentioned that...even in jest. The person provided a service.

Its the nature of the business tho. Can't blame a person for trying to save themselves money.

I think purposefully bouncing a cheque on a man which might have a crucial payment due on a machine a far worse act.

If you're flush all year it probably wouldn't even be noticeable when someone takes the money out of your account ......however !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Its the nature of the business and its how it's done. Can't blame a person for trying to save themselves money.

I think that's a poor reflection on yourself that you even mentioned that...even in jest. The person provided a service.

How does not cashing a cheque save ya money?

Bouncing a cheque on purpose is a low act

ganmo wrote: »

It's one of the bigger bills of the year, people pay when they have it, they don't expect it to be messed around and sneaked in six mths later.
    Seemingly everyone here is flush all the time, a bounced cheque and by jasus they'd cash it the next time they got it , problem solved

And the contractor could be trying to stretch out payments too so that he's not pole axed on vat in one month

I'm sorry but if I give a cheque I expect it to be cashed within a month at least. I don't want to be carrying it over for the next 5 months & then into next year. F** off:mad:

Contractors have to show their vat as in 13.5% on their service. If for instance I got paid now for most of my work say €10000 because of the SFP the vat would €1189. That shows on this vat period.

So I might only be only be able to claim back €500 off my own expenses such as parts and diesel so I'd have to pay €689 vat to the tax man. If I held some of the payments back till a quiet section like January/February then I'd be able to write more off and avoid paying excess vat.

I'm sorry but if I give a cheque I expect it to be cashed within a month at least. I don't want to be carrying it over for the next 5 months & then into next year. F** off:mad:

That is a bit long alright and def should be cashed before any years end but do remember contractors have to do the same waiting on payments for riduclious lengths of time.

I myself always cash asap

• Advertisement

It's one of the bigger bills of the year, people pay when they have it, they don't expect it to be messed around and sneaked in six mths later.
    Seemingly everyone here is flush all the time, a bounced cheque and by jasus they'd cash it the next time they got it , problem solved

Who said everyone is flush all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Contractors have to show their vat as in 13.5% on their service. If for instance I got paid now for most of my work say €10000 because of the SFP the vat would €1189. That shows on this vat period.

So I might only be only be able to claim back €500 off my own expenses such as parts and diesel so I'd have to pay €689 vat to the tax man. If I held some of the payments back till a quiet section like January/February then I'd be able to write more off and avoid paying excess vat.

That’s what was done on me by a contractor held check over for 10 weeks lodged 3jan on new year.
    ‘‘Twas last bit of work they got here since.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

But you'd be able to claim the vat on purchases back without having anything to write them off against. Yes if you cashed 10k you'd have to hand over 1350 but you'd still have 8650 that you didn't have.

I says wrote: »
    That’s what was done on me by a contractor held check over for 10 weeks lodged 3jan on new year.
    ‘‘Twas last bit of work they got here since.

Shouldn't have carried it over to the new year as it fecks the farmer up. I do know contractors that have agreements with farmers that get a DD every month and then balance everything in December and others take payments at certain months but it's agreed well in advance to no nasty surprises. It's what works best for everyone involved

You should hire me in :D you sound local enough

But you'd be able to claim the vat on purchases back without having anything to write them off against. Yes if you cashed 10k you'd have to hand over 1350 but you'd still have 8650 that you didn't have.

But why hand over the 1350 to the taxman if ya didn't have to? Don't forget the contracting game is as tight as farming itself so ya have to use every angle ya can.
    No different to farmers spending on things in the yard or machines to avoid paying excess tax at years end and rightly so as the tax man gets enough out of each of us.

That figure could also be €100,000 so then its 13,500. I know a small baling outfit near me that burns approx €10000 woth of diesel a month in the summer. Might not get paid till the tail end of the year. That's a fair whack of money to be throwing out with little coming in. The fact that it's had to get credit with depots too also adds to it. A big SP fleet nearby goes through roughly €35,000 a month when in full swing

I get ya Reggie, I get ya, just ranting. Pay every year & ask for invoice. Ask for invoice. Ask for invoice. Ask for invoice. Two contractors & both paid, I just want invoices.
    It's not bloody rocket science.
    It's not going to kill you.

Invoice. On a dated slip. Thanks. :mad:

I get ya Reggie, I get ya, just ranting. Pay every year & ask for invoice. Ask for invoice. Ask for invoice. Ask for invoice. Two contractors & both paid, I just want invoices.
    It's not bloody rocket science.
    It's not going to kill you.

Invoice. On a dated slip. Thanks. :mad:

I'm lucky as most of my customers (a few of them boardsies......You know who ye are ;)) pay me going out the gate and I issue an invoice the next day or within days from that (usually first quiet day or day finished reasonably early) but there is are a few that like to delay payment. Herself does be sick of running to the bank in the summer :D

In this case my payments are well spread out so no issues then throughout the year and everyone's happy.

But I have found that the older generation like to leave all the work bundled to the end of the year where younger farmers pay as each piece of work is done.

Anyways not long back from brownes on the green tyrellspass got the 10oz ribeye absolutely perfect. Highly recommend the place and the boss was well impressed also.

I says wrote: »
    Anyways not long back from brownes on the green tyrellspass got the 10oz ribeye absolutely perfect. Highly recommend the place and the boss was well impressed also.

Been there a few times. The parents know the owners well

• Advertisement

Been there a few times. The parents know the owners well

I shall return.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement