Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

And we all know what happened next.

That's Eanna McLiam aka Johnny-One from Fair City as the phone wrecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Non stop ads for Richard Clayderman albums on tv at this time of the year

Or James Last!

branie2 wrote: »

Probably played his greatest film role in Angela's Ashes. Still doing the biz on stage these days. A pleasure to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Tazio wrote: »
    and these......
    467888.png

:confused:

and what be dat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

We used to walk over ten miles home from discos in big groups. We used to talk to real people without technology.

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »

and what be dat?

WTF! We stored our phone numbers in it beside the P&T or Telecom Eireann installed land line that took months to install!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Walking to the phone box on a Sunday afternoon with 10p to call your boyfriend who was visiting his Granny and she had a landline. And getting him to call you back and the groans of everyone in the queue when they realised you would be talking for at least 30 minutes.

Walking by a phone box and it would ring and answering it and the person calling would give you a nearby address of the person they wanted to talk to and you would go and get them and leave the phone hanging.

There was a whole world before mobile phones and stuff still got done. I walked 400 metres to a phone box and queuud about 5 minutes to call my husband at work to tell him i was in labour.

Toys in cereal boxes, stuffing yourself with the end of one box so you could open the new one and root for the toy.

Milk was in bottles and delivered every day.

Comics cost 10p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

branie2 wrote: »

He was also in The Commitments lining up to buy drugs outside the Rabbites.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,587 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    We used to walk over ten miles home from discos in big groups. We used to talk to real people without technology.

If you made a date with someone after a disco, you hoped they'd show up and vice versa, as most of us didn't have house phones.

How did we survive without technology for communication? :rolleyes:
    My mother always wrote and still writes weekly to her sisters (aged between 70s and late 80s)who live abroad.
    They take it in turns to ring each other, but they enjoy their letters more than anything.

I lived far away from my friends in the 80s.
    We didn't see each other from the beginning of the June school holidays, until we started back again in September.
    Funnily enough, we're all still friends 3 decades later.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,303 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

tringle wrote: »
    Walking to the phone box on a Sunday afternoon with 10p to call your boyfriend who was visiting his Granny and she had a landline. And getting him to call you back and the groans of everyone in the queue when they realised you would be talking for at least 30 minutes.

Walking by a phone box and it would ring and answering it and the person calling would give you a nearby address of the person they wanted to talk to and you would go and get them and leave the phone hanging.

There was a whole world before mobile phones and stuff still got done. I walked 400 metres to a phone box and queuud about 5 minutes to call my husband at work to tell him i was in labour.

Toys in cereal boxes, stuffing yourself with the end of one box so you could open the new one and root for the toy.

Milk was in bottles and delivered every day.

Comics cost 10p

Calling and praying that their father didnt answer.

• Advertisement

In 1979 and 1981, two documentaries were made about the prophecies of Nostradamus. The 1981 documentary was presented by Orson Welles.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,587 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Unknown to my dad, I "borrowed" his transistor radio some nights to listen to Radio Luxembourg.
    The chats were good, the music too and they'd phone in competitions.
    I'd never heard of Hangman before Radio Luxembourg.
    Desiderata too, although the music at the start of it was freaking scary.

My poor dad.
    He couldn't understand why the batteries weren't lasting in the radio.
    I'll tell him some day soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

People often ask how we survived in the pre mobile age, but somehow we did. I think part of it was making plans and commitments and, you know, sticking to them. Nowadays there are few plans or meetings that can’t be changed with the simple forwarding of a text. Sorry, txt. We have become more casual in our timekeeping as a result. What earthly panic can there be when the appointed hour is at hand and a simple message can be zapped across the ether bearing the message “be there in 10”?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

jobeenfitz wrote: »

That was still going on on into the early 2000s or whenever they deregulated the taxis - with the icing on the cake of seeing well over a dozen taxis with their lights on pass you by and not pay any notice.

Nowadays it's sometimes hard to stand at the traffic lights/bus stop/etc in Dublin without having a taxi driver flash their lights at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Big Nasty wrote: »
    He was also in The Commitments lining up to buy drugs outside the Rabbites.

...and he got nailed to the pool table in The General as well and fecked a rubbish bin through Georgie Burgess's window in The Snapper.

I like how they got Bob Geldof to appear in thst ad saying "Phone wreckers are idiots". Bob was probably the coolest guy in Ireland back then so they believed his message would carry weight. How times change...

and what be dat?
    Grandeeod wrote: »
    WTF! We stored our phone numbers in it beside the P&T or Telecom Eireann installed land line that took months to install!

but what is it?????????? never seen one before,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,121 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

but what is it?????????? never seen one before,

I still have one beside my phone !! Its a note book for phone number . You file them alphabetically and move the slider to open on a chosen letter

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Grew up in the 80s and early 90s, it was ****ing tough but tbh I'd rather have grown up then than now, not only did we get great music and genres we also got to jump on the internet while it was all a brave new frontier.

The world has gone to absolute **** in the last 3 years and it's mostly down to the prevalence of social media monopolies and smart phones

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Bambi wrote: »
    Grew up in the 80s and early 90s, it was ****ing tough but tbh I'd rather have grown up then than now, not only did we get great music and genres we also got to jump on the internet while it was all a brave new frontier.

The world has gone to absolute **** in the last 3 years and it's mostly down to the prevalence of social media monopolies and smart phones

Smart phones are the devil. I agree the last few years have really gone to sh1t. Everyone so vain and needy and having meltdowns if they dont get enough likes or if something negative is said.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I still have one beside my phone !! Its a note book for phone number . You file them alphabetically and move the slider to open on a chosen letter

jayus! you were very sophisticated altogether

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Floppybits wrote: »
    Smart phones are the devil. I agree the last few years have really gone to sh1t. Everyone so vain and needy and having meltdowns if they dont get enough likes or if something negative is said.

I bet it will lead to a spike in mental illness in this generation.

It seems like everyone under the age of 25 lives every detail of their life through a phone screen.

It's not healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

jayus! you very sophisticated altogether

I had something like it for years after I got my first mobile too. Back then there was no such thing as cloud storage so of you lost your phone, all your numbers were gone.

My parents had one exactly the same as the one in the photo. They still have it actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,121 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

jayus! you were very sophisticated altogether

Yep ! Still have it , all my phone numbers and addresses in it ! Its a great little gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I miss knocking in to say hello or having people knock in to say hello, but it's handy using social media to keep in touch with folk abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Music is not the same. I don't mean quality just that it's so instant it comes and goes. No getting told about an album or borrowing one or being introduced to some band on verbal hearsay.

Snickers was known as Marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

Around this time last year, somebody created a thread dedicated to a complete commercial break on RTE1 ( During the film Escape To Victory) the week before Christmas in 1984/5.
    By any chance does anybody happen to know where to find it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

...and he got nailed to the pool table in The General as well and fecked a rubbish bin through Georgie Burgess's window in The Snapper.

I like how they got Bob Geldof to appear in thst ad saying "Phone wreckers are idiots". Bob was probably the coolest guy in Ireland back then so they believed his message would carry weight. How times change...

I remember Bob even being featured in the Siamsa (or Sonas?) annual for 1985 with a really bad artists impression of him.

Vinculus wrote: »
    Around this time last year, somebody created a thread dedicated to a complete commercial break on RTE1 ( During the film Escape To Victory) the week before Christmas in 1984/5.
    By any chance does anybody happen to know where to find it?

• Advertisement

The early days of the internet were wonderful. Less dopes.
    Floppybits wrote: »

Everyone wants to be some sort of celeb. Bloggers, Vloggers, Influencers. Fooking arseholes.
    I bet it will lead to a spike in mental illness in this generation.

It seems like everyone under the age of 25 lives every detail of their life through a phone screen.

It's not healthy.

Under 25? Probably the majority, but the age groups are very varied up to the 40s I'd say.

Advertisement