Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

branie2 wrote: »
    Another detective series in the 80s was Dempsey & Makepeace, about an American cop and a British detective who joined forces in England
    That's right. They're now married in real life

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Another detective series in the 80s was Dempsey & Makepeace, about an American cop and a British detective who joined forces in England
    Glynnis Barber, a beauty then and a beauty now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I only made it to Bartley Dunnes towards the end - finally got in summer of 1990. Great spot.

Same here. By then the Goths and Cure heads were across the street in the William Tell. I loved BDs and wish I had experienced it in its heyday. Anyone remember the Coffee Inn off Grafton street, another spot that was full of Goths and Cure heads in the 80s? I wasn't one, but it was a decent enough hang out spot on a Saturday afternoon with cheap hot chocolate.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

Billy86 wrote: »
    Remember that in the early 90s too, our whole class basically got told to just strip down to underpants out of the blue.

When our class was asked to do this, there was a dilemma for one guy in the class as he was going commando!
    Not a fashion choice, circa 1978

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Who can forget the evil fembots versus Bionic Woman Jamie Somers, circa 1976/77 (and re-run on Sky in the late 80s!:D)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

fryup wrote: »
    and you had to be that extra careful taking a photo cause you only had 24/36 shots...whereas nowadays you can delete and re-take willy nilly....and then you had the week long wait for them to be processed and then collect them at the chemist

There was a big scandal in our town when an unmarried couple went on vacation and had a film developed in town that contained some x rated pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

My dad was given his first cigarette in hospital by his parents when recovering from having his appendix removed at 11 years old.
    That was the 1940s though.

In our secondary school the rule was that First Years were prohibited from smoking. From Second Year onwards you could smoke away to your hearts content

5th and 6th years had discos at a local hotel/nightclub where exemptions were regularly granted for a late bar

This was all in the 80s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

whitey1 wrote: »
    In our secondary school the rule was that First Years were prohibited from smoking. From Second Year onwards you could smoke away to your hearts content

5th and 6th years had discos at a local hotel/nightclub where exemptions were regularly granted for a late bar

This was all in the 80s

We had a smoking room in our school for students.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

whitey1 wrote: »
    There was a big scandal in our town when an unmarried couple went on vacation and had a film developed in town that contained some x rated pictures

jesus mary & joseph! lord bless us and save us! :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

We had a smoking room in our school for students.
    Ditto. For the sixth years. And was going until at least 1990.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

We had four handball alleys but one was a smoking alley.
    Fag in the mouth... Whack the ball...Quick drag... Ball again...And so on.
    Then a quick smoke with the Brother before he rang the bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Plenty of Opel Kadetts around in the 1980s.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,173 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Had a teacher in the 80s who still drove one of these

He then 'upgraded' to an almost as elderly Morris Marina. Back then a ten year old car was usually more rust than metal

Was a mean-spirited BIFFO who didn't even try to hide his contempt for Dublin and we Dubliners.

Had that prick for both 4th and 5th class, I'll never forget the disappointment on the first day of 5th class when each class lined up in the yard and the teachers came out to bring them in... "Wonder who we're getting.. Ah no... it can't be... :eek: :mad:"

Oh and he used to smoke in the classroom too

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Remember amhran na bhfiann played at the end of the night of rte1 before it shut down for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Amprodude wrote: »
    Remember amhran na bhfiann played at the end of the night of rte1 before it shut down for the night.

staying up late while it played.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Amprodude wrote: »

A funny story about that .....

I had a friend working in RTE TV on video tape playout and he often took the late shifts because he preferred the peace and quiet. This was in the early 1980's and he told me this story.....

On night, up in Belfast, BBC NI lost the signal from their main Divis Mountain transmitter and the backup plan was that the transmission site would automatically scan for a BBC signal that overspilled from Scotland and relay that until the uplink from the BBC NI studio could be restored. However, due to weather conditions, the Scottish BBC signal was not strong enough to lock on to and it latched on to RTE instead.

It was very late at night, during 'the troubles' and the BBC engineers didn't relish the thought of heading up the mountain in the late night to see what was going on. They rang RTE to confirm that the film they were seeing was coming from them and were told that it was and that it would finish shortly and then close down. They hadn't received any calls about the breakdown and so decided to let it run and then head up the mountain at first light.

They forgot however that when RTE closed down at night, they played the 'heather, streams and cobwebs' video of the Irish National Anthem and this duly went out over Belfast when the film finished. I was told that the BBC engineers left the building very quickly and turned off the answer machine to avoid any angry calls :)

Supposedly a true story... and one that I have heard from several sources.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Anyone remember this? I think it was an Irish take on Mini pops. Mid 80's-ish.

R-7188877-1435718687-5230.jpeg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40,238 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Full of Billie Barry kids no doubt.

Did the Budget Travel holiday brochure come out in the 80s?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

dieselbug wrote: »

The most famous baldy of the 70's.

Ger Roe wrote: »
    A funny story about that .....

I had a friend working in RTE TV on video tape playout and he often took the late shifts because he preferred the peace and quiet. This was in the early 1980's and he told me this story.....

On night, up in Belfast, BBC NI lost the signal from their main Divis Mountain transmitter and the backup plan was that the transmission site would automatically scan for a BBC signal that overspilled from Scotland and relay that until the uplink from the BBC NI studio could be restored. However, due to weather conditions, the Scottish BBC signal was not strong enough to lock on to and it latched on to RTE instead.

It was very late at night, during 'the troubles' and the BBC engineers didn't relish the thought of heading up the mountain in the late night to see what was going on. They rang RTE to confirm that the film they were seeing was coming from them and were told that it was and that it would finish shortly and then close down. They hadn't received any calls about the breakdown and so decided to let it run and then head up the mountain at first light.

They forgot however that when RTE closed down at night, they played the 'heather, streams and cobwebs' video of the Irish National Anthem and this duly went out over Belfast when the film finished. I was told that the BBC engineers left the building very quickly and turned off the answer machine to avoid any angry calls :)

Supposedly a true story... and one that I have heard from several sources.

I was in RTE in the early 90s and this story was still being told then. I'm not certain those telling it to me even believed it. But who knows.:D

Chips - great TV show about Jon and Ponch, two motorcycle cops of the California Highway Patrol.

I don't remember it at the time, but RTE showed the Deer Hunter before broadcasting the Larry Holmes V Gerry Cooney Fight on the 11th of June 1982. The film broke down at one point, and had to be shown all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I don't remember it at the time, but RTE showed the Deer Hunter before broadcasting the Larry Holmes V Gerry Cooney Fight on the 11th of June 1982. The film broke down at one point, and had to be shown all over again.

Spot on.
    One of the most eagerly anticipated boxing matches ever. As it wasn’t starting until 3.00 or 4.00am (can’t remember which), RTE 1 decided to screen The Deer Hunter once the Late News had aired. In those days, closedown normally took place around midnight so this was a rare treat to watch ‘tv through the night’. Quite a few schoolboys stayed up and most of us watched The Deer Hunter. Unfortunately the movie broke down half way through and RTE re-screened it the following night. The fight wasn’t bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭newspower

Chips - great TV show about Jon and Ponch, two motorcycle cops of the California Highway Patrol.

I remember them but what aboit the other Chips from the chipper.......wrapped in newspapers

RTE doing a simulcast. Movie on TV and the Stereo sound on Radio. Ghostbusters, I remember. Then one Halloween they sent out 3D specs in the RTE guide for old 3D movies on the telly over another Halloween. Innocent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Speaking of simulcasts, was it Beat Box on a Saturday morning that used to out on Network 2 and 2fm simultaneously? You wee supposed to bring your ghetto blaster into your front room to get the stereo sound.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Speaking of simulcasts, was it Beat Box on a Saturday morning that used to out on Network 2 and 2fm simultaneously? You wee supposed to bring your ghetto blaster into your front room to get the stereo sound.

Beat box became a regular thing after the original experiment. It was Sunday mornings. We had a Hi Fi:D system in the sitting room bought second hand. A double tape, radio and turntable. Feckin posh **** in its day. Storage for vinyl at the bottom and a big glass door at the front. On wheels too. I played Once upon a Time by Simple Minds to death on it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

That's right it was Sunday. Weren't you posh with your HiFi! I had to sit there in my pyjamas with a Walkman.

Advertisement