Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

We had that set of books in a red cover

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

We had the 1979 set: mixture of dark brown and black. I’d get up early and spend hours reading them. Huge influence on my knowledge. They’re still on my old bedroom in my parents’ house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Grueller

I can't remember much about the day of my dad's funeral in 1985, apart from going home and playing this game with my cousin for hours on end

http://www.crashonline.org.uk/13/finders.htm

Finders Keepers, Mastertronic, on Spectrum

It beat going downstairs and listening to the wailing and moaning downstairs from people who wouldn't give him the time of day when he was alive.

This post really makes me appreciate having my parents always around. That sounds tough hotblack.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Grandeeod wrote: »
    All together now! Opening and closing credits!

Which then led on to this:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,285 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Grueller wrote: »
    That sounds tough hotblack.

Long time ago now. But thanks.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Which then led on to this:
    I just watched that. Thanks. It's absolutely brilliant :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Dirty Harry films started in the 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭cml387

Relevant from another thread I got these statistics:

628 people were killed on Irish roads in 1978.
    There were 128 road deaths in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

cml387 wrote: »

It makes me wonder hue many of those were hit and runs. A death sentence on one hand and a life sentence of guilt for those who never confesssed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

It was 640 in 1972, the year I was born.

Some contributors:

Drink-driving
    Less robust cars
    "Seat belts are for sissys" mentality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Some contributors:

Drink-driving
    Less robust cars

Crap roads too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,383 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Rust buckets carrying 10 people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Per capita that’s an even better reduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Kids getting electrocuted on ESB pylons
    Dogs killing sheep at nightand and returning in the morning. Do you know where your dog was last night??

There were lots, the old public safety videos didn’t hold back the shock value!

“Where’s Grandad” in the water safety video. He fell in the river and a 3 year old drowned too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Don't forget your lashings of ginger ale!
    The ginger beer wasn't in the Enid Blyton books, just the Comic Strips 'Five Go Mad in Dorset' spoof. I'm having my first alcohol-free Christmas since the 80s (probably), so I bought a few bottles of ginger drink (which has a nice kick!).

As has been said, worse roads back then, but also a lot fewer cars compared to now.

Some contributors:

Drink-driving
    Less robust cars
    Over crowding was a big issue as well. I remember Mum would pile seven kids into the car in the 80's - two in the front and five in the back! Not a seat belt or child booster in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Over crowding was a big issue as well. I remember Mum would pile seven kids into the car in the 80's - two in the front and five in the back! Not a seat belt or child booster in sight.

We had the same but sometimes a couple in the boot as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

FanadMan wrote: »
    We had the same but sometimes a couple in the boot as well :D

Brings back memories, I remember my friends mom used to regularly bring our whole football team to games in her hatchback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

My Aunt had 9 kids, 1 in the front, 6 in the back and 2 in the boot:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I remember never wearing seat belts in the back of the car and once my toddler sister wound up headfirst in the footwell going around a hairpin bend, and we all thought it was hilarious. Shocking looking back on it:(
    I can remember going to the dump with my friend and her Dad and sitting in the empty trailer on the way home.
    Building mazes and houses with the haybales in the fields, great fun :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ABlur

BBC are doing their Back in Time for Christmas series on the 70's, 80's and 90's today and tomorrow:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06sq9xj

Rubberlegs wrote: »
    I remember never wearing seat belts in the back of the car and once my toddler sister wound up headfirst in the footwell going around a hairpin bend, and we all thought it was hilarious. Shocking looking back on it:(
    I can remember going to the dump with my friend and her Dad and sitting in the empty trailer on the way home.
    Building mazes and houses with the haybales in the fields, great fun :)
    The attitude to car safety was shocking back them. I remember my Mum taking me and my two siblings to town. We were about 8, 6 and 3. No seat belts. I don't know what happened but my Mum slammed on the brakes and my 3 year old sister was standing in between the two seats and nearly went flying throw the windscreen. The only thing that saved her was my mother's hand knocking her back, which left an indent from her engagement ring on my sister's forehead. The moral of the story back then? Sit down or you'll get hurt! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Just randomly came across these xmas adverts from the 80's

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    The attitude to car safety was shocking back them. I remember my Mum taking me and my two siblings to town. We were about 8, 6 and 3. No seat belts. I don't know what happened but my Mum slammed on the brakes and my 3 year old sister was standing in between the two seats and nearly went flying throw the windscreen. The only thing that saved her was my mother's hand knocking her back, which left an indent from her engagement ring on my sister's forehead. The moral of the story back then? Sit down or you'll get hurt! :eek:

Hahaha yeah. No one wore seat belts. I was mocked for wearing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The seatbelt attitude didn’t change until the 90’s

Seeing people furiously trying to belt up when they saw a checkpoint was normal

Once I put on a seatbelt in the back seat and was just about called a weirdo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

mikemac2 wrote: »
    The seatbelt attitude didn’t change until the 90’s

Seeing people furiously trying to belt up when they saw a checkpoint was normal

Once I put on a seatbelt in the back seat and was just about called a weirdo.

Yup, I remember it well. Slinging on the belt quickly as you approached a checkpoint.

I bought a Ford Capri back then & the B-pillar (where the seatbelt was positioned) was much further back in them.

Seatbelt fumblings at checkpoints in that car would have me in danger of running over Guards.:eek:

Got into the habit of wearing one ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

That **** Pat Kenny still around since then.
    At least our taoiseach didn't virtue signal like Leo. Leo has no intention of doing anything serious to deal with homeless kids otherwise there would be no tax cuts but hey he feels your pain.
    At least Charlie and Garret avoided that bull ****

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Loved this as a small child, as did my big sisters and our dear late Dad! :):D

Of course the Oireachtas could be considered our version of The Muppet Show...;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I bought a Ford Capri back then & the B-pillar (where the seatbelt was positioned) was much further back in them.
    Ahh the car I learned to drive on. An electric shaver had more power and the brakes were scary compared to modern cars, but I loved that yoke. :)Fantastic driving position.

brooklands.jpg

They did look fast though. Since then I kinda feel out of place in anything but a two door coupe.
    JupiterKid wrote: »

Of course the Oireachtas could be considered our version of The Muppet Show...;)
    A lot thinner on laughs though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Kids getting electrocuted on ESB pylons
    Dogs killing sheep at nightand and returning in the morning. Do you know where your dog was last night??

There were lots, the old public safety videos didn’t hold back the shock value!

“Where’s Grandad” in the water safety video. He fell in the river and a 3 year old drowned too :(

The grandad segment is unintentionally hilarious though. We used to be laughing our arses off at it.

Advertisement