Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Shane Ross' new speeding penalties

Options
  • 11-12-2018 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,676 ✭✭✭✭

So Ross is to bring his speeding penalty changes to cabinet today

From RTE :
    those driving up to 10km/h above the speed limit could pay a fine of €80 and receive between three and five penalty points.

If you drive up to 20km/h over the allowed speed there would be a €150 fine and between four and six points placed on your licence.

Motorists driving between 20km/h and 30km/h over the speed limit will be hit with a €200 fine and up to seven penalty points.

Anyone driving in excess of 30km/h above the speed limits will be charged with dangerous driving.

The minister will also propose the introduction of variable speed limits on the M50 motorway in Dublin.

Let's forego the usual "speed kills" and "don't speed, don't get caught" stuff shall we?

Personally I think those changes are very harsh, especially for motorway drivers where 10-20 km/h over is not at all the same as in an urban area. This doesn't seem to have been factored in, and of course even the minimum penalty is higher than it is already which given how long the points stay on your license could see many off the road very quickly.

What say ye? Proportionate or overkill?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    So Ross is to bring his speeding penalty changes to cabinet today

From RTE :

Let's forego the usual "speed kills" and "don't speed, don't get caught" stuff shall we?

Personally I think those changes are very harsh, especially for motorway drivers where 10-20 km/h over is not at all the same as in an urban area.

What say ye? Proportionate or overkill?

Need a poll maybe.

Overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I think it is a great idea. Hits those that drive the most recklessly.

If you really want to see serious penalties for speeding look at the Swiss model. They will take a fixed percentage of you annual income for the worst speeding offences. One lad got a fine of about 700,000., well he was going 170kmh over the limit.

The way they tier the offences and the penalties is actually quite fair IMO. Small penalty for minor speeding that scales pretty quickly with greater speed. I have driven quite a bit over there and people do not speed as a result.

https://www.ch.ch/en/driving-over-speed-limit/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It will only effect those who speed....good man Shane:)

I say 10 points for driving under the limit ,
    Stuck behind some arsehole doing 25/30kph in a 60/50 zone for 10 mins yesterday.
    Breaking all the way up to green lights

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

If speed cameras were set up in genuine accident black spots then yes but this country is notorious for putting in speed traps in ridiculous places just for the purpose of 'catching' you and making money 'not' to reduce to accidents. Speed traps are against an EU directive but we only follow the EU when it suits us. In Australia the purpose of speed cameras is to make you slow down in dangerous areas not to catch to make money, they warn you 3 or 4 times speed camera ahead so if you get caught you absolutely deserve it unlike the cloak and dagger shenanigans we do here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

It might make more sense to link it to the speed limits that are being broken.

10km/h over in a 50 zone is worse than on a motorway, but 2 issues with that.

1 it introduces confusion and 2 We’d take the absolute piss with it anyway so what’s the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Those points are off the scale..

Dangerous driving for being 30kph over the limit on a motorway is farsical especially with the reduced limits we have in many places..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Seems a bit harsh to me. I'm all for proportionate penalties for speeding but almost doubling the fine and points for the most minor offence is insane, from €80 And 3 points to €80 and possibly 5 points? That's a joke.

If anything the category of "up to 10km/h over the limit" should be reduced to €50 And 2 points or something. Anyone can slip a tiny bit over the limit accidentally to be fair. The proposed new rules would give you just 2 chances in any 3 year period or you're off the road. I know 2 chances is 2 too many but human nature will have you make the odd mistake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Stuck behind some arsehole doing 25/30kph in a 60/50 zone for 10 mins yesterday.

Was it a small low-powered hatchback?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

Easily known that he can take all day getting from A to B sitting in the back of a chauffeur driven limousine. Wan###r

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The 'up to 10km/h over' is a little bit harsh but the rest are spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

He also wants a on the spot fine and points if you dont have you license on you.....Wanna hope you never forget your wallet then!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Any changes should be harsh tbh. We need a good dose of cop on in this country. Driving is a privilege, not a right. A privilege that should be hard to earn and easy to lose. Getting caught speeding once in 3 years is a stupid mistake. Twice is being sloppy. Three times means you're a danger. Realistically the 3rd strike should come with a ban.

It's very easy not to speed. We all know that. The only reason we whinge about these penalties is because we want to break the limits from time to time. How about we just...don't?

These will be significantly softened anyway, if they even get further than cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I suppose politicians and guards don’t have to worry anyway so no skin off their backs either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Overkill.

The most odious politician in the Dail wants more attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I think its silly as it is at the moment. Most people i know to have got caught speeding have either accelerated too quickly leaving an urban area as a roads limit changes or the opposite and deceleeared too slowly. Being 5kmph over the limit in this situation is not comparible to being over the limit in an urban area. The guards should have some amount of discretion to award a single point or more depending on the road and speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

Also a prison sentence if in the right hand lane and moving slower than the left lane

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Tzardine wrote: »
    I think it is a great idea. Hits those that drive the most recklessly.

If you really want to see serious penalties for speeding look at the Swiss model. They will take a fixed percentage of you annual income for the worst speeding offences. One lad got a fine of about 700,000., well he was going 170kmh over the limit.

The way they tier the offences and the penalties is actually quite fair IMO. Small penalty for minor speeding that scales pretty quickly with greater speed. I have driven quite a bit over there and people do not speed as a result.

https://www.ch.ch/en/driving-over-speed-limit/

Because the Swiss do something ludicrous doesn't mean we should follow them.

How about the way the Germans let you drive as fast as you like on some of their roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

does anybody know does shane ross drive

• Registered Users Posts: 28,676 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

seamie78 wrote: »
    does anybody know does shane ross drive

Don't think he does. Seem to remember stuff about him cycling or getting buses back into Stepaside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

I've no problem with 20 or so over the 120 on a motor way. But I'll stare the bejasus out of anyone doing anything over 20kms/h near a school/shops car park/housing estate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The lower punishment is over the top and i think the type of road should taken into account but the general idea of increasing punishments for increased speed is a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Don't think he does. Seem to remember stuff about him cycling or getting buses back into Stepaside.

sounds about right

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I think a tough stance on excessive speed would be warranted, and will certainly make people think twice about speeding.
    Whether that's a bigger fine, additional penalty points, or a charge on dangerous driving, it's certainly one to be debated openly and fairly.

However the penalties listed for lesser speeds is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

If this bill has the intention to save lives it needs to look at the location of speed traps by the Gardai . A high percentage of garda speed traps I see are on the straight stretches of motorway with high volumes of traffic and in good weather . Those traps are revenue and number building traps and will do little if anything to improve road safety.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

He also wants a on the spot fine and points if you dont have you license on you.....Wanna hope you never forget your wallet then!

If the driver doesn't have a licence, the car should be seized and not given back until a licence is produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

I keep mine in licence holder on the the sun visor. No chance of forgetting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

4ensic15 wrote: »
    If the driver doesn't have a licence, the car should be seized and not given back until a licence is produced.
    I guess it would make people think about it more seriously. Bit harsh though. A bit of linking of databases would solve a lot of problems. ANPR scans the number plate, details of insurance & tax come up, as well as the registered owner's driving licence and photo.

So at least if the person who has forgotten their licence is also the owner, the Gardai can confirm on the spot.

It's generally not a problem for me, I always have my wallet in my pocket. But especially for the ladies who will change handbags 3 or 4 times a week, it would be easy to forget your licence.
    highdef wrote: »
    I keep mine in licence holder on the the sun visor. No chance of forgetting it.
    Until you go to drive someone else's car ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Whatever about the fines but if they want to slow people down make the speed vans visible or even put up permanent cameras at black spots. Not much good in points and a fine being sent in the post if an accident due to speed happens to the same car down the road. Seen plenty of speed vans parked in the ditch at a changing of limits. Only there to send fines
    The 10 km an hour increase seems harsh if on motorway. What's the margin of error in the accuracy of Speedometers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Without consistent enforcement harsh penalties are pointless and even somewhat unfair.
    Such harsh penalties will just cause an increasing number of businessmen and others who need to drive for work to challenge the points in court, clogging up the courts as road traffic matters did before we introduced penalty points to address that very problem.

I find the manner in which speeding is currently addressed to be reasonable and effective.
    I rarely see dangerous speeding that makes me worry for the safety of road users.

I regularly see wilfully dangerous driving that makes me wonder how nobody is injured or killed - this is usually mobile phone use at the wheel, deliberate breaking of red lights and playing chicken with other motorists at junctions.
    I'd have a lot more respect for a politician who addresses this than one who lazily curries favour with the road safety lobby by parroting mantras from the 1990's and imposing unworkable penalties that will probably not be enforced and certainly won't be enforced consistently.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement