Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Shane Ross' new speeding penalties

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Have to say fair play for keeping left. But your saying you don't go over 66% of the limit on a motorway, is that for confidence reasons as it's not really the safest option..
    Nope, not confidence and my car is well capable of the limit and licence losing territory beyond it* and I do on occasion barrel along at the limit and on good surfaced backroads with good line of sight I'll "press on" a bit, which requires more confidence care and attention than moving my right foot a half inch down on the pedal on a motorway. I find 80/90 a relaxed pace, which gives me plenty of room and time if conditions change or other road users decide to be muppets. And it has happened.

As for safety I'm not sure what you're getting at there W. On 120Kph roads most people are averaging more like 100, trucks, buses and the like less again(by law). Are they "unsafe"?

*It is a bit of a stripped down racing snake mind you and as such as a driver you're much more aware of speeds and how fast you're actually going compared to most cars. These days in cars that are more and more cocooned from road feel people can forget that 100 kph is "fast" and if something goes wrong it will happen quickly and it will hurt, with the good chance it could kill you.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

highdef wrote: »
    I keep mine in licence holder on the the sun visor. No chance of forgetting it.

Fine and dandy if you only drive one car

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Fine and dandy if you only drive one car

Yep same as myself but when i'm driving another car i often forget to bring it. Also mine is still the old type not very wallet friendly. Sure it will bring in a bit of cash anyway handing out fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Wibbs wrote: »
    Nope, not confidence and my car is well capable of the limit and licence losing territory beyond it* and I do on occasion barrel along at the limit and on good surfaced backroads with good line of sight I'll "press on" a bit, which requires more confidence care and attention than moving my right foot a half inch down on the pedal on a motorway. I find 80/90 a relaxed pace, which gives me plenty of room and time if conditions change or other road users decide to be muppets. And it has happened.

As for safety I'm not sure what you're getting at there W. On 120Kph roads most people are averaging more like 100, trucks, buses and the like less again(by law). Are they "unsafe"?

*It is a bit of a stripped down racing snake mind you and as such as a driver you're much more aware of speeds and how fast you're actually going compared to most cars. These days in cars that are more and more cocooned from road feel people can forget that 100 kph is "fast" and if something goes wrong it will happen quickly and it will hurt, with the good chance it could kill you.

Here in the States you WOULD get done for doing that speed on the Freeway. On a 65mph freeway signs posted up at minimum 55mph.... it impedes traffic... mind you... having said that... speed limit on i90 is 70mph and you HAVE to do 80 at least to keep up with traffic... many are doing 90... and no one gets pulled over (unless they are driving too slow)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

All that P#ick Lord Ross has done since he got into office is hammer the motorist.Does he work in the department of transport or revenue.Trying to give out as many penalty points as he can so insurance policies go up more. Nothing done about the cyclist who do what the like.The sooner an election is called the better,and get this P#ick out of office.He probably doesn't even know how to drive anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,401 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    Why are motorists penalized with high insurance premiums, when never having a penalty point, or being convicted of any road traffic offence?

I guess it might have something to do with the huge amounts of damage done to people and property by motorists.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

NSAman wrote: »
    Here in the States you WOULD get done for doing that speed on the Freeway. On a 65mph freeway signs posted up at minimum 55mph.... it impedes traffic... mind you... having said that... speed limit on i90 is 70mph and you HAVE to do 80 at least to keep up with traffic... many are doing 90... and no one gets pulled over (unless they are driving too slow)
    Well on the freeway I'd be fine, 90Kph is 55 mph. Secondly this is not America and US roads as far as deaths per million people are over twice as dangerous as Irish roads. It's a less safe country to drive in.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Can introduce all the points and fines he likes but if there’s no enforcement then it’s a waste, the man is a clown that prob takes the Dort to “work” each day

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Shane Ross can draft all the silly laws he likes but it still requires FG/FF to get them over the line.

I guess it might have something to do with the huge amounts of damage done to people and property by motorists.
    Jesus, do you ever get tired of banging this drum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Well on the freeway I'd be fine, 90Kph is 55 mph. Secondly this is not America and US roads as far as deaths per million people are over twice as dangerous as Irish roads. It's a less safe country to drive in.

But far more fun..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

He has rural ireland on lockdown already. More bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

On motorways I'd average 80-90 clicks. Inside lane of course. I genuinely can't recall a situation with anyone giving me static for it, or having to get an attack of the sudden swerves out of it. That said I'm near obsessive with driving smoothly and consistently, so that could be why. I have gotten peeved with eejits speeding up and slowing down alright and often for no apparent reason. I encounter that a lot.

If you are driving at 80-90 on a motorway you are going to force trucks and coaches operating a tight schedule out to overtake you.

It's quite ignorant/inconsiderate driving on a motorway at that speed tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    That's fine though. If you're doing whatever lower speed in the left lane and not holding anyone up who is driving a car comfortable at those speeds then there's no issue.

There’s no obligation on anyone in either lane to facilitate another driver doing 140.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Time to move to Germany.

I got fined €10 for doing 60 in a 50 there.

No VRT.

Ich bin unterwegs, baby

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Raisins wrote: »
    There’s no obligation on anyone in either lane to facilitate another driver doing 140.

If you're in the overtaking lane there is an obligation to pull over if you are not overtaking a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

McCrack wrote: »
    If you are driving at 80-90 on a motorway you are going to force trucks and coaches operating a tight schedule out to overtake you.
    Force you say? Am I that powerful?

I would accept that drivers of vehicles driving faster than me would likely change lanes with due care and attention to overtake and would then change lanes again with due care and attention but force? Moi?...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

It's quite ignorant/inconsiderate driving on a motorway at that speed tbh

I have no problem with people doing that speed in the left lane. In reality, that's the lane you can do that in (if you need to). It's people doing that in the middle or right lane that is dangerous, as it causes overtaking on the left, which means pulling into a middle lane when someone in the left lane may pull out as well.

There's nearly as much observation required on the road driving slowly than driving quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

I say 10 points for driving under the limit , Stuck behind some arsehole doing 25/30kph in a 60/50 zone for 10 mins yesterday. Breaking all the way up to green lights

And ten for the ones that brake at night every time a car comes against them. Not to mention the ones that don't realise it's a yield sign at roundabouts not a stop sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Force you say? Am I that powerful?

I would accept that drivers of vehicles driving faster than me would likely change lanes with due care and attention to overtake and would then change lanes again with due care and attention but force? Moi?...

A HGV/coach should never be in the overtaking lane of a motorway

So someone driving miss daisy pottering along at 80-90 is going to force/compel/entice/make a HGV/coach pull out into the overtaking lane and that in turn delays many people behind it who have to slow down to its speed while it makes its overtaking manoeuvre

Its all very inconsiderate behaviour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I think the up to 10kph over is a bit harsh, but the rest are fine. Speeding is all too common on the N4/M50. Need a few speed cameras to clamp down and start mass fining to make people start to slow down.

I don't speed so doesn't matter to me, but 10kph could catch someone out while completing an overtake for example.

We should have minimum speeds too though. Got stuck doing 30-35 in a 50 zone earlier when the driver was driving inconsistently slow. Couldn't keep a consistent speed. Don't get me started on people who brake at the sight of an oncoming car. What's tapping the brakes going to achieve???

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

DaveyDave wrote: »

I don't speed so doesn't matter to me, but 10kph could catch someone out while completing an overtake for example.

This is an interesting point. Which is safer, overtake on the wrong side of the road for 5 seconds, (going over speed limit), or keep below the speed limit and be on the wrong side of the road for 10+ seconds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 217 ✭✭Cockford Ollie

All speed limits are way too slow to start with.

I'd go 130/140 on the motorway regularly.

50kph zones I'd easily go 60-65kph depending on the road.

80kph zones, easily do 100kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

I love how one people think that driving is a privilege, pontificate much?

Agreed. There is absolutely no viable alternative to the majority of people in this country which would allow them to get to work. Until that is the case, driving should be far more than a privilege. I'd go as far as to say it should be subsidised.

The area where I'm from in Dublin has one of the best bus services in the country, but where I've moved to, a car is absolutely a necessity. I've no issue with this as such, and moved here despite this, but losing your licence for being caught at 110 in an 80 twice in 3 years is absolutely insane.

There are a number of places I commute through where the only safe place to overtake a tractor for miles, is often accompanied by a speed van nestled on the verge at the end of a long arrow straight road.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4771174,-8.5264176,3a,75y,302.26h,83.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBuJNe_gu6MilEqPXsD50ag!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

And then we have this in one area I drive though.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5184018,-8.8331783,3a,75y,87h,79.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEKOyuuc7dOflIu5kG_wOAA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Basically motoring has become much safer, and could become even MORE safer but they tax the advancements in safety on cars.. i.e. adaptive cruise control and automated advancements in driver assistance are all charged extra in VRT.

This absolutely infuriates me. The government are actively discouraging the uptake and standardisation of these systems - but penalising people for in my view, minor offences.

No difference with bicycle helmets here vs. the UK - but lets not start that debate on the motors forum.

Rate
    Standard rate: 23%

4.1 Zero-rated pedal cycle helmets
    They are zero-rated when both of the following conditions are met...

Think about it, how often do you actually see a driver do something that you honestly believe they should be put off the road for? Personally, I spend a lot of time in the car and have seen about 5 maximum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Shane Ross should go see a dentist and stop annoying normal folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

How about the way the Germans let you drive as fast as you like on some of their roads?

Just to put this to bed once and for all ...they don't actually, not really.

The recommended max speed (or "Richtgeschwindigkeit") on a German motorway not otherwise speed restricted is 130 km/h.

You can go faster than that, but there are several caveats like traffic and other conditions allowing you to do so. That includes minimum braking distances, due care and consideration and all such niceties

If you bomb down a busy motorway at full chat you can technically be done for dangerous driving simply for going too fast for the conditions.

If you end up in an accident while going over 130 km/h chances are you will be assigned some blame (or all of it) even if it was objectively the other party that caused it...had you been going slower it wouldn't have happened is the catch here.

Insurance companies are particularly interested in that last bit and getting involved in an accident over 130 km/h can become very expensive very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

why don't you leave your licence in your wallet?

So every time I must step outside the door I must carry my wallet/licence- just in case. For example I was out walking recently. At about 8km from my house & near my daughter's workplace she phoned me and asked if I could call to her workplace and take her car home as she was going out with friends. Under proposed new legislation I could not drive her car home as I did not have my licience with me.
    There are innumerable such examples which make this proposal an ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,527 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Imo there should be a minimum speed as well as a max speed.
    A lot of accidents are the result of two people driving one behind the other at 60 kmph in a 100 kmph area which forces a motorist who is in a hurry to attempt a double overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Police the motorways.

One way of doing that is by introducing average speed cameras across long lengths of the motorways.

But you have Nordie and foreign drivers driving on the roads with immunity.
    Maybe everyone needs an Irish version of a driving licence to drive, to be able to apply Irish points on it and potentially ban them from driving in the republic at least ?

I know there was talk of applying penalty points across Irish and English licences, which would be a safe step in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

A HGV/coach should never be in the overtaking lane of a motorway

So someone driving miss daisy pottering along at 80-90 is going to force/compel/entice/make a HGV/coach pull out into the overtaking lane and that in turn delays many people behind it who have to slow down to its speed while it makes its overtaking manoeuvre

Its all very inconsiderate behaviour

I was on the M4 few weeks back. Someone was driving about 80-90 kmhr. A big artic overtook it and took ages to get by it holding everyone else up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement