Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Legits

Great stuff, thanks unkel will target €26k.
    Is there any extras to look out for I like the black colour at the moment but I know it does show the dirt up alot.

Will I need to charge at work with my commute or would it be ok on 180km daily commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,062 ✭✭✭✭unkel

No extras / options possible except metallic paint. Phantom black is a great colour on Ioniq.

If you'll be ok or not on your commute depends on your trip / your speed. If it is all motorway at 120km/h, you will struggle on a bad day in winter. But mostly you should be fine. But why not charge at work if it is free? :)

Also, get a home charger installed. You get €600 subsidy for that. If you are careful, you can have a chargepoint installed for that, effectively making it free. Also get a night rate meter. And register your car for the toll discount. 75% discount on the M50 tolls off peak, not too shabby!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,192 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I've no problem with the bigger battery costing a few K. Really long haul vehicle in the early 30s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

unkel wrote: »
    BigAl81 on here just got a 2019 Ioniq for €26k on the road (solid white paint) with scrappage.

Yep, 26k on the road. That was sticker price plus delivery and related bollix charges, less 4k scrappage.

There was no negotiating. The guy said he would make €250 on the sale so couldn't budge on price.

I guess you can ask them to top up the battery, and throw in some mats!

Best of luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

ELM327 wrote: »
    IMO the year of the switch will be 2020.

About the time the 10k government incentive will end imo, just as the sales pick up.

Battery costs are not going to come down 10k in that time frame and manufacturers are not going to absorb it, especially when ICE cars are far more profitable, they'd prefer you buy one of those

All the autogiants have got way too much money invested in ICE cars

Choking the supply of EVs as we have now forces people to buy ICE, keep profits up, not firing thousands of workers and keeping EVs niche

Only hope is Tesla can keep growing and some Chinese manufacturers we never heard of start selling in Europe

Whats happening in the US right now is worth watching as when EV push starts, thousands are going to lose jobs in the car manufacturering industry

VW, BMW, Mercedes are already lobbying in Germany and warning of impending doom of job losses, no government wants to be remembered for that

Hyundai Union chief has already called EVs evil

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/03/27/hyundai-union-chief-evs-are-evil-will-destroy-jobs/

Ye expect these companies to push EV revolution :) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

In all honesty though, I think that is the case in a lot of employment roles. Major developments in technological innovation and automation will be starting to push humans out of job roles, and we can see that happening across the world, with a lot of discussion going on elsewhere about it.

I don’t think that is to be feared. We can’t remain stagnant and non progressive just so some people can keep jobs.

People need to adapt and move with these changing times. That may sound like a ****ty deal, but it’s the way of it.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭KCross

In all honesty though, I think that is the case in a lot of employment roles. Major developments in technological innovation and automation will be starting to push humans out of job roles, and we can see that happening across the world, with a lot of discussion going on elsewhere about it.

I don’t think that is to be feared. We can’t remain stagnant and non progressive just so some people can keep jobs.

People need to adapt and move with these changing times. That may sound like a ****ty deal, but it’s the way of it.

True, but a key difference here is that usually when technology replaces a human its in the companies best interest to fire the human to save costs.

Its not quite the same in the auto industry as they have billions of up front capital invested in their ICE plants and that is slowing them down from wanting to change. Its not just the auto worker thats on the chopping block, its their capital investment that they made years ago and still on their balance sheets.

If it was just a case of firing a few thousand people and sticking in batteries and have the same margins they'd have done it years ago.

This mass adoption to EV's, I think, is going to be slower than we think for multiple reasons....
    - manufacturers generally dont want it
    - lack of battery supply. There are new plants coming on stream but its still only a drop in the ocean from whats required to go to mass adoption, particularly with 60kWh becoming the new norm.
    - people in general still dont trust it until they see the same EV range as an ICE. We know thats not required, but thats what the public want. More education is required.
    - charging issues.... particularly off-street. The new Ionity and eCars charging hubs will hopefully be up and running by 2020 but the off-street charging issue is still going to hold a significant number of people back from switching. Govt need to get the finger out on that one.
    - lack of choice - even if VW and Tesla deliver high quantities in 2020 everyone doesnt want a Golf or an Ioniq or a Leaf.
    - it will remain expensive for quite a while and, as thierry has said, once it becomes cheaper they will pull the incentives which will bump it back up.

All solvable in time, but not by 2020, imho.

Hi Ioniq owners!

I've a range question for you.

Do you think the following journey is possible on a single charge. If so, even in the winter??

Trip would be from Dublin to County Down. 170kms in total. The breakdown is...

16 kms suburban and M50 @ 90km/h

88 kms M1 @ 110 km/h

40 kms A1 @ 100 km/h

25 kms very hilly country backroads @ 70 km/h

All speeds would be as indicated on the dash of the car, not gps actual speeds.

So what do you think, is that possible without stopping to charge??

Thanks,
    Al.

Yes Al, no problem at all doing that trip even in winter without stopping to charge.

That's great, thanks ;)

Would you hazard a guess what range I'd have left in the tank when I arrive?

Would that allow for using the heated seats / AC or whatever as well?

Haven't picked up the car yet and
    already have range anxiety ha ha.

Thanks again!
    Al.

• Advertisement

You won't have much range left in winter when using A/C as well :)

That said, you should still comfortably make that trip you described without any range anxiety. But range anxiety can be an irrational thing. You need to make that trip taking it handy a few times, just to convince yourself it's no problem. Then the range anxiety will go away.

Thanks again!!

What range are people getting on thier GOM's now that the weather is a bit cooler?

Are you noticing much of a drop off?

Yes. I got consistently 235-240km in summer. Now just 200km. Driving it hard, always in sports mode, but around the Dublin area, so no sustained intercity motorway driving

GOM is accurate and reliable, but estimating 2km times percentage left is even more accurate when the range is getting shorter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭ewj1978

BigAl, If you're going up them M1 there's quite a few fast chargers. Just stop for a quick 10 minutes to allay any fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭zg3409

>Would you hazard a guess what range >I'd have left in the tank when I arrive?
    >Would that allow for using the heated >seats / AC or whatever as well?

I get 200km on display at 100% charge, all motorway about 100km/h in rush hour 120km/h on parts on m50, worst range is 196km so far. I drive in normal mode, cruise control, heated seats air con, lights etc. Some simple things can help range like setting the car to preheat every morning, and charging late at night. This helps keep the battery warm on cold mornings, keeping your range up in winter. I would be worried 2 or 3 weeks a year when temperature is frosty, I would expect 30km left on display. You would need to be careful on those days of road works, diversions, extra trips on lunch break, extra trips to shops on the way home. Stick it in eco mode put on heated seat but turn off a/c. If you can drive in slow lane when you need to, say on the way home it would help, and you would not need to worry. 99% of trips should be no issue, and I think you pass some fast chargers as backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I get consistent 179km early spring to late autumn. I'm currently getting between 165 and 169. 90% of my driving is on open motorway without traffic. I tend to average between 125 and 130 kmph indicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

zg3409 wrote: »

So I nearly crashed my EV ioniq earlier this week on the m50 in morning rush hour. As captured on dashcam above I was driving in adaptive cruise with 2 bar distance set, then the automatic emergency braking (aeb) kicked in. (You can hear beeping on audio) I thought I was going to hit the car in front so also applied brakes myself at last second as car did not seem to be fully stopping. It felt as it was not putting on the brakes hard enough, particularly near the end.

On reading the manual afterwards it says above 50mph the aeb may not actually bring the car to a stop and it may also not fully stop the car before hitting the car in front. The conditions were nearly perfect, dry road, car directly in front, car already slowing using adaptive cruise. It was dark. The ioniq uses both radar and camera for aeb so it is quite an advanced system compared to may cars with similar systems.

I see some interesting links about aeb, second one not ioniq specific:

https://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/7-hyundai-ioniq-general-discussion/10458-emergency-braking-range.html#/topics/10458?page=1

https://www.autotrader.com/car-shopping/your-automatic-braking-system-might-not-stop-your--257115

The moral of the story is that the beeps mean you should brake the car and the aeb is actually designed to not stop you before you hit the car in front in some situations, particularly at motorway speeds. The adaptive cruise will not slow you fast enough in many sudden situations and aeb is just a last resort partial collision reduction system and will NOT apply the anchors even if a driver would, as it is designed not to suddenly stop on a motorway. I stopped with 1 to 2ft to spare and the car behind me stopped within a couple of feet of rear ending me. If I had applied the brakes really hard at the start, it is very likely I would have been rear ended. You can brake harder than the aeb system at high speeds and the system expects you to do so if required, as it will not.

Of course if you buy a paddy spec kona, you might find yourself out of luck as the paddy spec does not have aeb.

Stay safe

Sorry about the late reply to this, I meant to come back on it but life got in the way. I was reminded about the issue over the weekend on the M25 in the UK on a long cruise control run.

If you are using the adaptive cruise control and have it set to, say, 100kph, but need to override it with the throttle to go a bit faster, you can bring on this situation. After a while the cruise seems to get the hump at being overridden (ooh matron) and switches off. It does tell you with a small "bing" and a short message on the display, but it can be easy to miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Thanks again!!

What range are people getting on thier GOM's now that the weather is a bit cooler?

Are you noticing much of a drop off?
    My GOM consistently shows between 165 and 175.
    The only driving it gets now (since the home charger install) is motorway at 130+ with full heating on, heated seats, etc.

Longest trip is 175km and it does that with no issue even when the GOM said 165. Seems it's a) quite pessimistic and b) very much biased by prior driving!

Is there a trick to reset it, like in the Zoe, I wonder!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jeditraining1

Any got any more details / price on the 40kW upgrade for the 28kW Ioniq? haven't heard anything in a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

Any got any more details / price on the 40kW upgrade for the 28kW Ioniq? haven't heard anything in a while now.

that was just a rumour around 2017/18 which was never confirmed or denied by Hyundai. so far there is no planned upgrade :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Was never confirmed, so nothing yet.

Would be very very surprised if this was offered to existing owners.
    It may be a case that the 2019/2020 Ioniq is available with the 39kWh from the Kona.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

Rear seatbelt not clipping in on mine, would that be covered under warranty?

Of course. Everything that is not a wear and tear item, like tyres and brakes, should be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

I have just had my 3rd (45k km) service done, I asked that they check the battery health, which they did.

The report indicates the battery is still at 100% which if true is good. I asked them if the measure was the whole of the battery or just the usable 28kw, they advised it was the entirety of the battery.

I expected some losses at this point, and assume they may have only measured the usable element, any thoughts?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

New tyres are on, drove back from Naas and hit some heavy rain, I could definitely feel the difference. Lots of surface water and the car felt as planted as a dry day on the old energy savers.

Braking too late into a roundabout also felt much more stable, and less need to gently accelerate off the line.

Can't tell yet but efficiency seems to be the same if not slightly better.

Only 25k on mine but the fronts are nearly gone :D

Where did you have them fitted and how much did they charge?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

unkel wrote: »
    Only 25k on mine but the fronts are nearly gone :D

Where did you have them fitted and how much did they charge?

Got them fitted by Electric Autos, figured I'd support an EV business, was 23 a corner including disposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭zg3409

In relation to battery health I have torque pro app and odb dongle and it reports 100% battery state of health SOH. I assume it can't be 100% still, but I am low mileage.

I do suspect that it is what the manufacturer wants you to see. Leaf owners got a software update which gave battery % increase?!

See attachment. I have not set it up fully right yet, but the info is on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭denismc

liamog wrote: »
    New tyres are on, drove back from Naas and hit some heavy rain, I could definitely feel the difference. Lots of surface water and the car felt as planted as a dry day on the old energy savers.

Braking too late into a roundabout also felt much more stable, and less need to gently accelerate off the line.

Can't tell yet but efficiency seems to be the same if not slightly better.

Just wondering if you could name the brand and model of tyre you got?
    It would be useful info for anyone looking to change tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Ballylad

I put Michelin energy saver 94H, S1 XL, A rated for Fuel, A rated for grip for 96e from oponeo plus 15e fitting and balanced per tyre, very impressed with grip and range.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement