Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Alkers

zac8 wrote: »

What's the length of cable like - particularly from between each light and from the first light to the end of the cable? Are they on a 3-pin plug?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Simona1986 wrote: »
    What's the length of cable like - particularly from between each light and from the first light to the end of the cable? Are they on a 3-pin plug?

Each light is independent. You can plug each one into the mains individually or chain them using junction boxes. I'm using these junction boxes - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MS008Z6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. You'll need some outdoor cable too to link each box. So the length of the cable on each light is irrelevant, its the extra cable you buy that determines the distance you can run the entire chain.

It's not out of the box like the Hue spotlights but then you are paying a lot more for them and I also think they are limited to 5 in a chain.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

If it's spotlights that you're after then I highly recommend these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008WAE128/?coliid=I3D5VYNRPDZ3CO&colid=11B2O4AQIF3HF&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it.

I have two of these Hue pedestals and they work perfectly - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CBD58X2/?coliid=I6ENXMT587YPZ&colid=11B2O4AQIF3HF&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it. They're poor value though. I only bought them because they were the style I wanted.

Just keep in mind you have full 220v going to each of those and if in use with Hue bulbs thats 220v 24x7 so if you run one over with a lawnmower during the day or some other breach of the unarmored cable its :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,910 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Rew wrote: »
    Just keep in mind you have full 220v going to each of those and if in use with Hue bulbs thats 220v 24x7 so if you run one over with a lawnmower during the day or some other breach of the unarmored cable its :eek:

He won't have to worry about cleaning up the mess so it'll be fine :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Is Airtricity doing any deals for Hive or Nest thermostat controls for new customers. Someone in work advised this was on offer but I cannot find anything online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Is Airtricity doing any deals for Hive or Nest thermostat controls for new customers. Someone in work advised this was on offer but I cannot find anything online

I recently got one, it's a "smart bundle" with two Alexas and a climote.

Also, γεια σου :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

copacetic wrote:
    I used these near some doors and added hue lights to them, work well, I'm looking to add a few more around the garden

And all the Phillips garden lighting in woodies is still reduced.

AstraMonti wrote: »
    I recently got one, it's a "smart bundle" with two Alexas and a climote.

Also, γεια σου :-)

Is the climote good to use, as I almost bought a nest in the amazon sales

Is the climote good to use, as I almost bought a nest in the amazon sales

I don't have it running yet as they will do the installation within the next two weeks, but Climote is very basic on functionality, it's definitely not a "smart" solution, no learning feature and no automatic adaptation pending on the weather. However for what it is, it does its job pretty effectively.

I don't have it running yet as they will do the installation within the next two weeks, but Climote is very basic on functionality, it's definitely not a "smart" solution, no learning feature and no automatic adaptation pending on the weather. However for what it is, it does its job pretty effectively.

Can it control hot water, and 2 zones separately (Upstairs/Downstairs)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Electric Ireland have a Nest and Climote offer.
    https://shop.electricireland.ie/products/install-detail/nest-thermostat
    I went for the Nest for 130 including installation and a free Google Mini.

Great deal. Also got €75 credit on my account.

I currently have a Climote and I wouldn't recommend it.

Yes it can, that's how mine was setup. You have to pay a subscription for a sim card so it can connect to the internet. It doesnt work with google home/alexa etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Yep

f05k7l.jpg

T-b0n3 wrote: »

I currently have a Climote and I wouldn't recommend it.

Yes it can, that's how mine was setup. You have to pay a subscription for a sim card so it can connect to the internet. It doesnt work with google home/alexa etc.

Climote looks simple, but I don't like the subscription idea though.

I would require 2 Nest for the different zones, is the Hive the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Rew wrote: »

The Hue branded spotlights are wired to a plug. Are you saying that’s not recommended?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

The Hue branded spotlights are wired to a plug. Are you saying that’s not recommended?

Hue Lily outdoor Spots are 220v a transformer that converts down to 24v so the majority of the cable run is 24v which wont electrocute you if the cable is cut/damaged. All the cabling is UV resistant and rubberised so quite durable as well.

Those other spots are all 220v to each spot, so in the case that the cable is damaged (ie run over with lawnmower) they are potentially lethal.

A sparks would have to comment on how safe/unsafe it potently is but the cable I had put into my garden recently to give me an outdoor 220v socket to run the Lily spots off is steel armoured to make it difficult to cut/damage.

Something else to weigh up is Hue GU10s are 250 lumen and Lily spots are 600 lumen so 1x lily is brighter than 2x GU10 spots.

The subscription is free for the first year and it is not a requirement for the climote to work, only if you need it to work remotely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

T-b0n3 wrote: »

I currently have a Climote and I wouldn't recommend it

Apparently, you can order multiple Nests, one at a time, and get each for €130. And you can pay for them interest free over 12 months!
    Or so I've heard! ;)

That was before the Google mini offer though, so maybe that glitch is fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Sherfin

Climote is fine imo, mind you I've not had anything else to compare it with.

Also, they announced last month that it now works with Alexa but no word yet of Google support :mad:

I work mate said that Climote only allowed one phone to access the app at a time. Can anyone confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

For anyone who might have picked up the Yale Alarms that were on special in Woodies a while back, some of the accessories have had reductions on Amazon.

Door/Window Contact £13.49
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yale-Door-Window-Contact-Alarm/dp/B00B9ESQS4/ref=sr_1_13?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1543910844&sr=1-13&keywords=yale+smart+alarm+system

Motion Sensor £20.56
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yale-PIR-Motion-Detector-Alarm/dp/B00B9DPGJ2/ref=sr_1_14?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1543910844&sr=1-14&keywords=yale+smart+alarm+system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,375 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The subscription is free for the first year and it is not a requirement for the climote to work, only if you need it to work remotely.

Which is basically the main functionality.

Soarer wrote: »
    Apparently, you can order multiple Nests, one at a time, and get each for €130. And you can pay for them interest free over 12 months!
    Or so I've heard! ;)

That was before the Google mini offer though, so maybe that glitch is fixed.

Glitch is fixed, rang EI and they are saying 130 for the first nest and 270 for any additional nest.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Philips Hue GU10 Colour - £35 Amazon U.K.

Philips Hue GU10 Colour - £35 Amazon U.K.

Is that a bargain ?

How many lamps do you get ?

woodies have a box of ten gu10 hive colour ones for 150

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

ted1 wrote: »
    Is that a bargain ?

It’s a bargain for Hue.

You get 1 bulb.

Mods, please delete if it's not allowed. I have a set for milights, 6 gu10, 1 e27 and a bridge that I don't need. Please pm if interested

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Is that a bargain ?

Those are the white dimmable ones, they don't do a colour GU10 as of yet. They do a cool to warm white one also.

THE ALM wrote: »
    Those are the white dimmable ones, they don't do a colour GU10 as of yet. They do a cool to warm white one also.

The box was a bit misleading as it showed colour

They actual do cool to warm, so more than just white.

https://www.hivehome.com/ie/products/hive-light-smart-gu10-bulb-cool-to-warm-white

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

The box was a bit misleading as it showed colour

They actual do cool to warm, so more than just white.

https://www.hivehome.com/ie/products/hive-light-smart-gu10-bulb-cool-to-warm-white

not a bad price so if the cool to warm white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭deezell

The Drayton Wiser is almost as good as Tado, good value. 2 CH zone and HW hub with 2 wireless stats about €200.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Drayton-Wiser-Thermostat-Kit-Heating/dp/B075GNJ7ZN

Advertisement