Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda shoots dog in Longford

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Zorya wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/armed-officers-protect-gardas-house-over-threats-after-man-shot-in-leg-37596535.html

Wonder how long this man and his family will be protected, or even will have to be protected.

not always a big fan of the Gardaí, but i have genuine sympathy for any garda having to deal with these scum. (and tbf that is probably 99% of garda).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Can anybody confirm if there was a dog just outside of the camera angle?

Fcuked if I could see or hear a dog.

And media reports mention that the dog has now vanished?

The video was allegedly edited to remove the dog. And the remains of Toby are reportedly missing. Either Toby didn't exist or somebody has hidden his remains to muddy the waters.
    Anyone that calls a German Shepherd an Alsatian should be shot in both feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭baldbear

The video was allegedly edited to remove the dog. And the remains of Toby are reportedly missing. Either Toby didn't exist or somebody has hidden his remains to muddy the waters.

Surely the dog would be easily located if they existed at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Of course they've taken the remains, probably burned them on Monday night.

They smell a big compo claim here, it's important to pretend there was no dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Surprised we can't hear the dog in the video clip if there was one.

• Advertisement

baldbear wrote: »
    Surely the dog would be easily located if they existed at all.

If it was burnt/buried/thrown in a river?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭baldbear

If it was burnt/buried/thrown in a river?

If the dog was shot & the Stokes chap was shot in the foot then back up would of arrived very quick so surely there wasn't time to remove the dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭White Clover

Can anybody confirm if there was a dog just outside of the camera angle?

Fcuked if I could see or hear a dog.

And media reports mention that the dog has now vanished?

You can clearly hear your wan say "you shot the dog"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

We are years behind the UK in some aspects of policing.
    A "body worn" camera would be so valuable in instances like this.
    Just slide down the lens cover, and you are recording.
    You can buy a dash-cam for 50 euro, so its not the cost of the equipment that prevents their introduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

You can clearly hear your wan say "you shot the dog"

She'll probably claim she meant her husband.

• Advertisement

Surprised we can't hear the dog in the video clip if there was one.

I would expect to both see and hear it in an unedited recording of events. Conclusion - either there was no dog or we've not seen an unedited recording of events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

The shot lads sister said no dog was shot in the incident.
    It’s a motal sin a man got shot a motal sin gbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Nekarsulm wrote:
    We are years behind the UK in some aspects of policing. A "body worn" camera would be so valuable in instances like this. Just slide down the lens cover, and you are recording. You can buy a dadh-cam for 50 euro, so its not the cost of the equipment that prevents their introduction.

Tbh a body cam on a detective defeats the purpose of wearing plain clothes.

baldbear wrote: »
    If the dog was shot & the Stokes chap was shot in the foot then back up would of arrived very quick so surely there wasn't time to remove the dog?

Backup. Hundreds of cops arriving moments later.SWAT. Helicopters.

Get real.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,209 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If there was no dog who or what were they saying "watch him watch him" to?

The shot lads sister said no dog was shot in the incident.
    It’s a motal sin a man got shot a motal sin gbh

I see "gbh" after a lot of the comments - what does it mean?

I would expect to both see and hear it in an unedited recording of events. Conclusion - either there was no dog or we've not seen an unedited recording of events.

There is people in the background behind the guard. I'm sure when an investigation is carried out the presence or absence of a dog will be confirmed. I wouldn't believe a calendar that was in the possession of a Traveller.

There is people in the background behind the guard. I'm sure when an investigation is carried out the presence or absence of a dog will be confirmed. I wouldn't believe a calendar that was in the possession of a Traveller.

There might not be any independent witnesses. Both the camp dwellers and the truck owner are involved to an extent.

Gravelly wrote: »

Grievous Bodily Harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭josip

There'll be dog saliva on the tie.

Unless the full, unedited camera footage is made available it will be inadmissible and worthless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

Simple conclusion is that "Mr Stokes" and the dog didn't get it for nothing.

More of this please, its time the "travellers" were as afraid of the cops as the general population are of the travellers.

Pity he didn't let rip with a sub machine gun. Save a fortune in fraudulent welfare claims.

There might not be any indepedent witnesses. Both the camp dwellers and the truck owner are involved to an extent.

I said behind the guard you can see people. Those people will be asked for statements, hopefully they will do so. Unless an unedited version of the recording exists the version we have seen will not form part of a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If there was no dog who or what were they saying "watch him watch him" to?
    Exactly.

If there was no dog:

- What was Mr. Stokes holding with his right arm at the start of the video?
    - What grabbed the Garda's tie?
    - When the Garda said, "I'll put a bullet in his head, get him to let go", what was he talking about? A dwarf?
    - What did the Garda shoot at?

There's too much evidence here that a dog was there, the fact that it can't be seen in a shaky video which is pointed at chest height for almost the entire time, doesn't negate the evidence above.

Gravelly wrote: »

God Bless Him/Her

I said behind the guard you can see people. Those people will be asked for statements, hopefully they will do so. Unless an unedited version of the recording exists the version we have seen will not form part of a case.

Those people are probably cousins, brothers or neighbours of Hoppy. If there is a conflicting version of events you can be sure that Hoppy
    His sister and fellow camp dwellers present one version and the garda and truck owner another.
    Not 'independent' witnesses'. Not unbiased.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

BattleCorp wrote:
    And what then, watch yer man in the truck getting battered to death?

BattleCorp wrote:
    Fcuk that.

Don't be s hysterical.

Those people are probably cousins, brothers or neighbours of Hoppy. If there is a conflicting version of events you can be sure that Hoppy His sister and fellow camp dwellers present one version and the garda and truck owner another. Not 'independent' witnesses'. Not unbiased.

Since neither you or know definitely the identity of the people behind the guard they equally could be motorists trying to continue their journey but where hindered. As an aside the guards evidence and that of the driver will carry more weight than the aggressor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

On the surface it looks like an overreaction but it is not unusual for the protagonists in this story to be familiar with firearms themselves which I imagine is why the detective has his weapon drawn.

God Bless Him/Her

Ah! I was reading it as grievous bodily harm but it didn't seem to make a lot of sense!

• Advertisement

zapitastas wrote: »
    On the surface it looks like an overreaction but it is not unusual for the protagonists in this story to be familiar with firearms themselves which I imagine is why the detective has his weapon drawn.

It has been reported that the had a slash hook which is why the guard drew his weapon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement