Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda shoots dog in Longford

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

archer22 wrote: »
    Ok saw it again on Virgin 2, I got it incorrect earlier that he held the gun two handed..the other hand was holding his tie.
    But nowhere do I see the Dog attacking him and certainly not when he fired.

Firing a pistol single handed like that is a bit reckless in itself...in fact the whole thing looked unwarranted.

But did you see the full 1 minute clip where the traveller is holding and trying to control something low to the ground. And did you hear the garda say "I'll shoot it in the head, get him off of me"
    Apologies if you are on dial up and unable to use youtube.

Also he could only use the pistol in one hand as he was using the other to prevent himself from being strangled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Panch18 wrote: »
    Isn’t it possible that the dog was grabbing the garda’s Tie?

So what if he was? Do you feel that anyone pulling a persons tie should be shot dead?

If you do I think you should worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

BBFAN wrote: »
    You honestly think we should be proud of an obviously unstable individual killing a dog?

But I thought you were of the belief there was no dog?

h2005 wrote: »
    OK, so now we have a guard willfully ignore an incident of assault?

Ah stop, you think the guard just coincidentally came across this incident?

Pull the other one pal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

So what if he was? Do you feel that anyone pulling a persons tie should be shot dead?

A person attacking an armed officer could take the officer's weapon and kill him or her with it. So yes.

• Advertisement

RobbieMD wrote: »
    But I thought you were of the belief there was no dog?

Nope, don't know where you got that belief from? You'll have to look back.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MactheKnife90

What is your major malfunction BBFAN??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Ah stop, you think the guard just coincidentally came across this incident?

Pull the other one pal.

I’ve no idea, I can only go by the video. Is there evidence otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

tuxy wrote: »
    But did you see the full 1 minute clip where the traveller is holding and trying to control something low to the ground. And did you hear the garda say "I'll shoot it in the head, get him off of me"
    Apologies if you are on dial up and unable to use youtube.
    Ŵ
    Also he could only use the pistol in one hand as he was using the other to prevent himself from being strangled.

If that is the case then he had no choice. I love dogs and have two but a dog should not be used as a weapon to bite people. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Water John wrote: »
    Yes, I have owned dogs but we are becoming nearly like the English and valuing a dogs life higher than a human's.

Arguably in some cases the dog life is actually more valuable than certain humans who are little more than stupid, regressive, predatory parasites with no interest or hope for bettering themselves and are intent on inflicting as much misery as possible on others.

I would be honest depending on the individual some individuals from the travelling community would better off being disposed off because all they will ever do is rob, steal, scam and terrorize other people. They would be the kind of people that would give those travellers who actually are honest enough not to get involved in crime a bad name by association and are beyond all hope of salvaging and will never change unless they're either locked up for the rest of their pathetic lives for doing something really stupid or they go too far and get dropped Paddy McNally style for pushing someone far enough.

The irony is alot of this hate would be far less if people had enough confidence in the system to properly remove and incarcerate the dregs of that community from society entirely so they cant ruin things for everyone else including the law abiding ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Well its possible..but when he shoots he's holding his own tie.

Anyhow the Dog catching his silly tie is hardly an excuse to go into full Rambo mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

No. The younger man in the video was clearly shown to be holding onto something with his right hand. This was out of shot, so while we didn't see it, it was obviously a sack of potatoes from Lidl. He later attached this sack to the garda's tie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Anyhow the Dog catching his silly tie is hardly an excuse to go into full Rambo mode.

You do realise it’s not just have bit of a play or fun with the guard don’t you?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

The dog has a string of convictions for pooping on footpaths and even stole sausages from the local butcher and no licence, spent time in the pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

TCM wrote: »
    Thank god that all of our guards are not armed & for mobile camera phones. That idiot Charlie Flanagan very recently wanted to ban the videoing of garda when on duty. Talk about a blue shirt fascist state. Whether those people were acting the maggot no shots should have been fired. The guard should have retreated & sought assistance.

And what then, watch yer man in the truck getting battered to death?

Fcuk that.

A bit of research shows that the traveller lives in the same road where the recent chop shop was discovered and has the same name as the owner. Enough said.
    Explains why the armed garda was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

BBFAN wrote:
    You claim the Guard acted in self defence? What are you basing that on so?

When he used the words "tell him (referring to the dog) to let go" . It's on the video Mrs Speilberg posted also the words " watch him Toby" command words given to a guard dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

You're still making it sound like you are watching a different video than the rest of us. The full 1 minute clip with dialogue is available and you can even slow down playback to get a better idea of what may have happed.
    I can assure you he is holding his tie to prevent someone or something from strangling him. He is NOT trying to adjust his tie because it's not straight.

A bit of research shows that the traveller lives in the same road where the recent chop shop was discovered and has the same name as the owner. Enough said.
    Explains why the armed garda was there.

Proof?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭McCrack

The Garda doesn't come across professional but in any event I anticipate his actions were completely justified if he was getting attacked or about to get set on by a dog.

It's just unfortunate the bullet ricocheted into yer mans foot and not yer ones mouth that was recording it

• Advertisement

Proof?

Research it yourself seeing as you won't provide any answers to questions asked of you,
    Clue - social media and more than one. Name supplied on it too, initials JS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

tuxy wrote: »
    You're still making it sound like you are watching a different video than the rest of us. The full 1 minute clip with dialogue is available and you can even slow down playback to get a better idea of what may have happed.
    I can assure you he is holding his tie to prevent someone or something from strangling him. He is NOT trying to adjust his tie because it's not straight.

So lets assume his tie was pulled by the Dog...good thing he never got a job as a Postman then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- Forgot to reopen this. Sorry. At least it's given people time to cool down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/armed-officers-protect-gardas-house-over-threats-after-man-shot-in-leg-37596535.html

Wonder how long this man and his family will be protected, or even will have to be protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Can anybody confirm if there was a dog just outside of the camera angle?

Fcuked if I could see or hear a dog.

And media reports mention that the dog has now vanished?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

According to The Sun the injured man is Blondie Stokes and a big shot U.K. lawyer has been in contact offering his services.
    Kerching kerching!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Every time one hears about travellers these days it’s nothing but trouble or compensation claims ... and Fine Gael love them as long as they don’t live in Donnybrook or Dalkey !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Zorya wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/armed-officers-protect-gardas-house-over-threats-after-man-shot-in-leg-37596535.html

Wonder how long this man and his family will be protected, or even will have to be protected.

Have a look at Margaret Cash's facebook page. Picture of him there. If this man is harmed or threatened, it is a direct challenge to the power of the state, and should be treated as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭baldbear

Edgware wrote: »
    According to The Sun the injured man is Blondie Stokes and a big shot U.K. lawyer has been in contact offering his services.
    Kerching kerching!

Better than a winning streak appearance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Edgware wrote:
    According to The Sun the injured man is Blondie Stokes and a big shot U.K. lawyer has been in contact offering his services. Kerching kerching!

Is he a member of the group that had a chop shop nearby?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement