Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda shoots dog in Longford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭pgj2015

as usual i will back the gardai over Irelands finest scumbags any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,262 ✭✭✭Homer

Gravelly wrote: »
    I hope the Gardarovide support and protection to him and his family. As we have seen in the past, these people keep grudges for years, and are addicted to violence. This man's bravery needs to be rewarded, not punished.

Only one thing seems to work for these scum.. lead. Single or double barrel.. come onto rural farmland and threaten/assault people, then expect them to put a large hole in your chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bayb12

tuxy wrote: »
    I could be wrong too. I just can't see or hear a dog at any point.

I have seen whatsapp screenshots saying this video has been edited to cut the dog out

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

FTA69 wrote: »

What would I expect the guard to do if someone did grab him? Whack him in the face with the gun perhaps? Call for help? CS spray him? A scuffle can’t be reason to shoot someone. I remember seeing a brawl outside a pub and guards were getting grabbed and knocked over while trying to break it up, I wouldn’t have thought that them going around shooting people in the legs would have been a proportionate response.

The sig used by Gardai doesn’t have a safety selector. Gardai aren’t trained to pistol whip people.
    Calling for help would’ve been too little too late.
    Pepper spray is deemed not effective against dog attacks.

"Allegedly" there is a connection to this with the parties involved.

I know the guard, he's as straight up as you'd get. I'd genuinely be concerned for his families well being, he has a number of young kids and his house is fairly rural, as is his elderly parents farm. These absolute vermin have no problem with a bit of the ould arson. A zero tolerance approach is whats required when it comes to dealing with the dregs of society.

On the independent FB page, there was a fella named Ned Stokes who claimed to be there and there was no dog ( I have no idea what else yer man was holding which would cause his body to list like that). Anyway, if you google Ned Stokes this whole car thing makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Have you ever been to Longford? Full of all the wrong types of non-nationals and lots of Traveller feuds too.
    The town is full of drugs, more grow houses been discovered there than anywhere else. Normally manned by Eastern Europeans.

I'd hate to be a Garda in that town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭cloudy90210

eagle eye wrote: »
    Have you ever been to Longford? Full of all the wrong types of non-nationals and lots of Traveller feuds too.
    The town is full of drugs, more grow houses been discovered there than anywhere else. Normally manned by Eastern Europeans.

they should use it as a nuclear testing site imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Quite the opposite it should be ..
    If you were a Garda then you took an oath to protect and serve your country... This should be the perfect town to be stationed in!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

whatever about shooting her, calling her a dog seems unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

On the independent FB page, there was a fella named Ned Stokes who claimed to be there and there was no dog ( I have no idea what else yer man was holding which would cause his body to list like that). Anyway, if you google Ned Stokes this whole car thing makes sense.
    Aw man, this is just getting ridiculous.

When you google it, you get a load of reports about behaviour by loads of different guys called Edward/Ned, one in his 30s who threatened to kill the mayor, one in his 20s who was done for obstructing a warrant (which required the ARU because he has "lots of big dogs"), and one in his 50s arrested for handling stolen goods.

Then I find a facebook page with a picture of 3 men and a boy, with a comment underneath it saying, "All the Neds".

This is actually comical. It doesn't really matter which "Ned Stokes" it was, they all seem like stand-up individuals.

Edit: To be fair, there seems to be an insane amount of "Ned Stokes" in Longford, most being ordinary decent people. Loads of them. WTF.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    While the video looks bad, it's worth noting that it would be inadmissible in court. It's not possible to verify that it's complete and hasn't been tampered with.

In court, it would be the eyewitness accounts of the Garda & the van driver against those of the man and his wife.
    Really? What video is admissable then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

While the video looks bad, it's worth noting that it would be inadmissible in court. It's not possible to verify that it's complete and hasn't been tampered with.

In court, it would be the eyewitness accounts of the Garda & the van driver against those of the man and his wife.

Tampered with? So we err on the side of assuming that travellers are handy with a bit of Premiere Pro or After Effects, and the video is useless?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

whatever about shooting her, calling her a dog seems unprofessional.

This reminds me of that old saying, ' the pen is mightier than the sword'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Tampered with? So we err on the side of assuming that travellers are handy with a bit of Premiere Pro or After Effects, and the video is useless?

Given the amount of experience they have with call-out videos, you'd think they'd have to be handy enough at the oul editing by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Gravelly wrote:
    Given the amount of experience they have with call-out videos, you'd think they'd have to be handy enough at the oul editing by now.

Still haven't managed the subtitles to accompany them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Really? What video is admissable then?
    Typically anything which has come from a 3rd party and the court is satisfied hasn't been tampered with or edited. If either side can cast doubt on the completeness or authenticity of a video, the judge will usually deem it inadmissible.

Since it's clear this video has been cut down, it'd be useless. The judge would insist that the entire video from start to end is provided, or nothing at all. Given how likely it is that the rest of this video shows a slash hook, dogs and threats to the Garda and van driver, they'd decline to provide it.
    Your phone now contains lots of software that allows even a simpleton make some clever edits to videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Sure wasn't it a McDonagh-McInerney-Houlihan who did the fake Acosta video.

Your phone now contains lots of software that allows even a simpleton make some clever edits to videos.

I spent half an hour recently trying to cut down a video I'd made of an amusing parking incident to post it in a whatsapp group I'm in, before giving up and getting my son to do it. You've made me feel really good about myself now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I'm from there originally and it has gotten progressively worse over the last 20 years. It never really gained anything during the tiger years apart from alot of houses. There is no industry to fill these houses so ghost and dilapidated estates pepper the entire county.

Alot of small businesses have closed due to spiralling council tax, the introduction of paid on street parking and the proliferation of online shopping.

Droves of travellers are visible on a daily basis, many of whom are in some of the more famous "call out" videos on YouTube.

There is an estate in the town that is v
    a no go area after dark that's a hotbed of drug use and anti social behaviour.

Petty crime and assaults on the weekends are rampant and have become so common that even on a Saturday night the streets are virtually deserted.

Of course it's not much different from many small towns in Ireland but its wholly depressing to see what used to be a pretty vibrant town degenerate into almost third world status.

I'm from there originally and it has gotten progressively worse over the last 20 years. It never really gained anything during the tiger years apart from alot of houses. There is no industry to fill these houses so ghost and dilapidated estates pepper the entire county.

Alot of small businesses have closed due to spiralling council tax, the introduction of paid on street parking and the proliferation of online shopping.

Droves of travellers are visible on a daily basis, many of whom are in some of the more famous "call out" videos on YouTube.

There is an estate in the town that is v
    a no go area after dark that's a hotbed of drug use and anti social behaviour.

Petty crime and assaults on the weekends are rampant and have become so common that even on a Saturday night the streets are virtually deserted.

Of course it's not much different from many small towns in Ireland but its wholly depressing to see what used to be a pretty vibrant town degenerate into almost third world status.

Sounds like Ennis, Mallow, Tralee, etc. etc. All being swamped by traveller thievery and violence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Hurrache wrote: »
    Longford is a big county, and not everyone in the county speak with the same accent. You'd know that of course because of your mates from there.

Are you for real??

Firstly you say the accent is clearly not knacker, it clearly is

Secondly you say Longford is a big county. Again you are clueless, it’s the 29th biggest county you clown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Well done to this Garda

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭josip

Anyone associated with someone who records in portrait deserves to be shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Panch18 wrote: »
    Well done to this Garda

Yes. Pity he didn't do a Fargo and finish them all off.

Could've been put down to a family feud today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

So what really happened here?

So far the story seems to go as follows.
    Guy brings van to travellers to get it repaired
    Guy does not want to pay for the repairs.
    Guy gets Garda friend to help him recover van.
    Garda friend gets into altercation and kills a Dog and wounds Dogs owner.

If thats the correct version then its bizarre ...to put it mildly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

they used to put on a great Christmas lights display. almost crashed the frickin car one year i passed it.
    who said they never give anything back?

They had Christmas lights on their house before anyone else in Ireland.
    Always liked passing it on the way home to Mayo for Christmas.

They've piles of scrap almost as high as the house out the back these days.
    You can also notice the security bars on the windows in the google street view images.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

archer22 wrote: »
    So what really happened here?

So far the story seems to go as follows.
    Guy brings van to travellers to get it repaired
    Guy does not want to pay for the repairs.
    Guy gets Garda friend to help him recover van.
    Garda friend gets into altercation and kills a Dog and wounds Dogs owner.

If thats the correct version then its bizarre ...to put it mildly!!

Have you actually looked at the thread ?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭John Sacrimoni

The Garda should of shot that screaming tramp while he was at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

There is no dog in that scene. You can see the ground where it would have been when the camera pans. No dog.

Now I don't give a crap that he shot them. I'd be more bothered if he was shooting a dog. But he didn't shoot a dog in that video. Saying he did is 2+2=5 territory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

RobbieMD wrote: »
    Pepper spray is deemed not effective against dog attacks.

Really, why not? I know people that use it against grizzly bears.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement