Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda shoots dog in Longford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

The Garda have to put up with some sh!te.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

FTA69 wrote: »
    Well in that case the cops are straight up lying about the circumstances in which they shot a fella, which to refer back to my original post, doesn't fill me with confidence about them being allowed to run around the place with guns.

To be honest it's impossible to say..

That video only tells half a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

ted1 wrote: »
    Why was he wearing a proper tie? Aren’t they meant to wear clip on’s. Can’t imagine health and safety allowing them

Wearing plain clothes is he? Maybe personal choice, but a bit stupid wearing it as mentioned it is as good as a noose.

Even transport workers have clip ons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It's only a couple of them doing it all, giving the rest a bad name.

You got that the wrong way around, the majority of them are at it giving the few good ones a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,187 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Looks as though the traveller is holding something lower down by his side possibly a dog on a short leash or a collar.

He then says watch him watch him, which is a command I've heard people use befor with dogs.

The Garda in that situation had every right to use excessive force

Nothing excessive about the force the guard used.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

1.It seems to be out in the country/wilderness with no help for garda around.

2.The man shot and woman shouting are out of control and are not respecting the garda in anyway.

3.Garda is grabbed by tie unexpectedly.

At this point the garda is now in fear of his safety in a remote location outnumbered with no idea where the situation is going he has to act.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭GBX

There is transcript of a chat doing the rounds on Whatsapp: Anyway Johnjoe or whoever was disarmed of a hook beforehand. Which was why the Gda had his gun drawn.
    Fair enough if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

Best outcome for all concerned.

Non lethal force used sorted out that situation of a member of our Police force having hands placed on him and dragging out of him.
    There is a nice few seconds missing in the lead up to the gun being drawn, man being assaulted in his van by a deranged person. Don't know if member of an ethnic group or not and I don't care.

Is it still the case that only plain clothes officers can carry weapons?
    If so very stupid to be wearing that tie.

Would that video be on Youtube if the Garda in question was strangled with that tie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

If this was in America, all of the scumbags would have been shot dead before she was able to turn on her phone.

And the cop would rightly have been called a hero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Jaysis, that whole scene is crazy. Coen brothers level crazy. They should hire that woman as a screamer for their next film.

Who or what could have been grabbing his tie? The woman was back with the camera. The other man was trying to get in at her husband. I think it was a dog that had his tie. Fcuk it, if a German Shepherd had a hold of me that close to the face, I would have shot it, no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

There's a business name and phone number on that truck, clearly visible. If you are querying the videos authenticity why not call them up and ask for his side of the story? The business is based in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Looks like I'll be the first person to say it. If they're travellers they've pretty mild accents as their accents go. In fact they sound like they have a normal enough midlands accent for that part of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Hurrache wrote: »
    Looks like I'll be the first person to say it. If they're travellers they've pretty mild accents as their accents go. In fact they sound like they have a normal enough midlands accent for that part of the country.
    imposters?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Nothing excessive about the force the guard used.

Excessive may have been the wrong term to use but the use of his gun would be considered a last resort.

I've no issues with him shooting the dog and in other countries the gun would have been drawn long before that the person would have been made to step away from the van and get on the ground, failure to comply with such simple instructions would have led to either being tasered or shot.

What's more worrying is that this Garda was alone and back up was probably a fair bit away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Hurrache wrote:

You are clearly no expert in linguistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭granturismo

lawred2 wrote: »
    Unlikely that there was any dog... Sure a German Shepherd would be clearly heard snarling when grabbing that guard's tie

Unless these travelers have engineered a stealth dog.. and if so there's a lucrative career in dog training for security services open to them.

They could leave all this type of business behind them..

RTE reporting there was a dog shot

https://www.rte.ie/news/leinster/2018/1204/1014947-gsoc_longford/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Hurrache wrote: »

I can't wait to tell my mates from Longford that they sound like Travellers.

You are clearly no expert in linguistics.

Seems you may rarely leave your own locality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

GBX wrote: »
    There is transcript of a chat doing the rounds on Whatsapp: Anyway Johnjoe or whoever was disarmed of a hook beforehand. Which was why the Gda had his gun drawn.
    Fair enough if you ask me.

Would you be able to share the text?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

RTE mentioning a man with injuries from a shotgun. Any idea who had the shotgun and what happened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

cursai wrote: »

It'll only be an interpretation anyway, and probably not that accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

The confusion is that the dog's name is "Foot".

I can't wait to tell my mates from Longford that they sound like Travellers.

Longford is a big county, and not everyone in the county speak with the same accent. You'd know that of course because of your mates from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,187 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Effects wrote: »
    RTE mentioning a man with injuries from a shotgun. Any idea who had the shotgun and what happened?

I heard that as well and was a bit confused. Dont see any shotgun in the Vid. Other stories say he was hit with a ricochet so it could just be bad terminology.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

The company I work for do recovery sometimes for the gardai and this sort of stuff happens the whole time. It has become a point now where no vehicle is recovered if it's not in the presence of gardai, for the drivers own safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

El Tarangu wrote: »
    I don't know; yer man had the garda by the tie, he was off-balance. If the garda had have ended up on the ground and the dog attacked, he would have been in trouble.

I think it was the dog that had him by the tie.

ted1 wrote: »
    Why was he wearing a proper tie? Aren’t they meant to wear clip on’s. Can’t imagine health and safety allowing them

The uniform Gardaí get clip on ties. Detectives are required to dress a bit more dapper. Just another one of those outdated policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Are these the same travellers that tried bombing a Garda's house recently?

If so, perhaps the Garda in the video knows what they are capable of and knew what would happen if he didn't defend himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Hurrache wrote:
    Seems you may rarely leave your own locality.

Again you are wrong. I have travelled extensively and lived and worked throughout Ireland. Thanks for the baseless assumption though, any other incorrect assumptions you would like to make or do you think it would be wise to stop digging'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The company I work for do recovery sometimes for the gardai and this sort of stuff happens the whole time. It has become a point now where no vehicle is recovered if it's not in the presence of gardai, for the drivers own safety.

But sending a lone garda even if he was a detective seems highly unusual.
    The discharge of his weapon seems justified but there will be questions asked on why he approached the situation on his own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

can the thread title be changed from dog to dag?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement