Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's still a colossal puddle on the rock road inbound near the punch bowl. nearly covers all inbound lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

there's still a colossal puddle on the rock road inbound near the punch bowl. nearly covers all inbound lanes.

Cars doing 60-80 through it too in order to beat the lights. Surprised there hasn’t been an accident.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's the name for the stunt a car driver pulls when they turn across the road in front of you?
    i.e. they're oncoming, and are turning right off the road, and do so without taking account of your presence?

anyway, i had that at the punch bowl earlier. it's one of the worst spots i know for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Bike24 gone from an occasional email to what seems like a daily one, must be the new owners. Unsubscribe time approaching.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

what's the name for the stunt a car driver pulls when they turn across the road in front of you?
    i.e. they're oncoming, and are turning right off the road, and do so without taking account of your presence?

anyway, i had that at the punch bowl earlier. it's one of the worst spots i know for it.

Right hook? As opposed to a left hook, where they come from behind you and turn across you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

So I added a 3rd bike to my collection because it was €100 cheaper on a Black Friday sale compared to what it was when I checked it out a few weeks ago. I was obliged to, right?

I've gone for one of those mountainy ones, had great fun in the summer with a borrowed one.

I may have to stash it in the attic and pretend Santy brought it and just produce it one day hoping it's not noticed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hurrache wrote: »
    So I added a 3rd bike to my collection because it was €100 cheaper on a Black Friday sale compared to what it was when I checked it out a few weeks ago. I was obliged to, right?

My LBS cut the price of a bike I have been fawning over for months by 700euro. I went in after work to plough myself head first into debt. Thankfully someone swooped in and beat me to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's universal isn't it. Any sniff of what you think is a deal has your hand in your pocket. What suckers we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

CramCycle wrote: »
    My LBS cut the price of a bike I have been fawning over for months by 700euro. I went in after work to plough myself head first into debt. Thankfully someone swooped in and beat me to it.

Any chance that was Fitzcycles? They had some ridiculous deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Dublinbikes hit its 25 millionth trip today, by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

tomasrojo wrote: »

One death? (Leonardo Souza da Silva)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I use it regularly, actually when I say regularly it's when I can get a bike, the system they have requires a shuttle service for bikes back out to the stations. I know if I hit St.James' after 8.15 there won't be a bike left and all the stations on the outskirts will be empty.

And then when I get to a city centre station to return the bike I won't find a space. I'd happily pay €50 a year for a better service rather than the €25 for a mediocre service that I get now at an admittedly ridiculously cheap price

Lumen wrote: »

Drinking and a bop on the head never ends well :(

I see that was announced by Just Eat Ireland Managing Director Amanda Roche-Kelly. I wonder if she had a hand in getting them to sponsor some bikes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Based on 2015 average trip length (14 mins) and average speed of cyclist in cso survey (17kmh) and allowing a few minutes for picking up/dropping off bike that's about 75,000,000km

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Any chance that was Fitzcycles? They had some ridiculous deals.

Yep, Cube CX bike down from 1700 to 1000. Another punter beat me in the door by a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

CramCycle wrote: »
    Yep, Cube CX bike down from 1700 to 1000. Another punter beat me in the door by a few hours.

Think I was looking at the same bike, I have a Bike to work to use so it would have been a mental deal. I was also too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

You know those distinctive black scuffs that bike tyres leave on internal walls when you bring the bike indoors and bump the wall accidentally, does anyone have a quick solution for those that wont wreck the paint?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Sugar soap. Not a strong solution.

Thargor wrote: »
    You know those distinctive black scuffs that bike tyres leave on internal walls when you bring the bike indoors and bump the wall accidentally, does anyone have a quick solution for those that wont wreck the paint?

Sure just leave them there. Character

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Luxman wrote: »
    Sugar soap. Not a strong solution.

This or the magic eraser though the latter isn't as good! My rented apartment has far too many!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yeah, like most bike-share schemes it has a very low fatality rate. Much lower than people would expect, anyway.

nee wrote: »
    I got my whole kit three when I started, bibs, Briko I think? and 2 pairs of reduced to €8 Polaris cycling shoes, one pair of which i still wear and indeed rode on for the medal this year :cool:
    Haven't had a look in ages, I need to be in a very particular mood to go there.
    based on this conversation, as i was passing tk maxx yesterday i decided to pop in to look. got two (very much summer) cycling tops, €12 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yeah, like most bike-share schemes it has a very low fatality rate. Much lower than people would expect, anyway.
    But in the ballpark (right order of magnitude probably) for cycling fatalities in developed coutnries.

Which somewhat makes a mockery of several popular tropes, such as:

- "I would never cycle in Dublin, it's crazy dangerous"
    - "Dublin bike riders are suicidal/crazy"
    - "You need good bright lights and/or hi vis to be seen" (Dublin bike lights are fairly crap, and Dublin bike riders rarely wear hi vis)
    - Something about helmets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

But in the ballpark (right order of magnitude probably) for cycling fatalities in developed coutnries.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5227927/table/tbl1/?report=objectonly

Almost identical with Germany anyhow, and other northern EU countries. The USA is a bit of an outlier.

Injuries would probably be a better comparison given, thankfully, how small the fatality number is.

The normal conversation around how dangerous cycling in Dublin is reminds me of Withnail
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh-X-1otyb4

(Dublin bike lights are fairly crap, and Dublin bike riders rarely wear hi vis)

They're pretty bright on the front anyway - they've improved immensely since the first generation imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

based on this conversation, as i was passing tk maxx yesterday i decided to pop in to look. got two (very much summer) cycling tops, €12 each.

Oh which tk maxx?

blanchardstown.
    they're a brand called tribesport - any smaller and they'd probably be a little obscene on me, but they seem decent enough quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

^^^^^
    seems a bit harsh, being pepper sprayed for listening to Oliver!

Advertisement