Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

Found this one linked on stickybottle, not a near miss so putting here :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I find the cyclist antagonistic in that vid.

Although schadenfreude is satisfying.

Edit: I recant my satisfaction at the schadenfreude. It's just all ridiculous and unnecessary!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

People were being rear-ended long before mobile phones were around. I was a victim twice in the pre-mobile phone era.

That cyclist hasn't much going for him - antagonistic, unfit and a Scotch accent. Does it get any worse!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

People were being rear-ended long before mobile phones were around. I was a victim twice in the pre-mobile phone era.

That cyclist hasn't much going for him - antagonistic, unfit and a Scotch accent. Does it get any worse!

Scottish accents are sexy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Is it illegal to travel in reverse (with traffic flow)?

There was a bit of a tailback on the R127 today caused by a tractor driver travelling in reverse. He was going southbound in the correct lane just that he was back to front. Very unusual - probably the first time I've seen it.

I'm presuming it would definitely be illegal in darkness.

I'm guessing it would be illegal at any time.
    White lights would be to the rear- even in daylight, that's an offence.
    Red lights would be to the front- even in daylight, that's an offence.
    And no brake lights visible to following traffic.
    I still wouldn't like to fight it in court.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nee wrote: »
    Edit: I recant my satisfaction at the schadenfreude. It's just all ridiculous and unnecessary!
    it's quite an anticlimactic 'crash' anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

then the other argument is that he should say and do nothing? its hard not to come across badly but how else do you call out people for using their phones? when someones acting like their doing nothing wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

manafana wrote: »

then the other argument is that he should say and do nothing? its hard not to come across badly but how else do you call out people for using their phones? when someones acting like their doing nothing wrong
    Instead of saying anything to them, I sometimes just gawk at their screens when stopped beside them stopped in traffic.

It usually ends up with them either putting the phone "away" or them rolling down the window and doing the instigating, "what are you looking at" for example which generally opens them up for a witty retort about "so you admit to using the phone while driving".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If a cyclist is being confrontational, the message they are trying to convey is often lost as they just come across to the motorist as a crankpot who finds fault with everything.

I don't typically confront motorists using phones but when I do it's usually a stare if we're stopped in traffic or a simple wag of the finger if moving.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

only time i've ever done anything - which is literally two or three times is a generic 'you're on the phone' hand gesture while mouthing 'get off the phone' at them.

apart from that other time myself and my dad were in the car on a lovely summers day and had great fun shouting out the window at a taxi driver who had nearly side swiped us with one hand holding a phone to his ear. there were a few people in the taxi too. the windows in the taxi closed, so i can only presume he managed that with his other hand. his fares looked a bit bemused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I'm guessing it would be illegal at any time.
    White lights would be to the rear- even in daylight, that's an offence.
    Red lights would be to the front- even in daylight, that's an offence.
    And no brake lights visible to following traffic.
    I still wouldn't like to fight it in court.

It's amazing they did it at all.

For the breath-taking backwards car chase scene in The In-Laws, they had to have a very elaborate set-up:
    27. The car chase sequence involves a section where Vince is driving backwards, and they accomplished it with a reworked car and a hidden stunt driver hiding in the trunk looking through two small holes.
    https://filmschoolrejects.com/commentary-the-in-laws-98968234415/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

nee wrote: »
    Scottish accents are sexy!

aye!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Following on from a few "helpful" motorist initiated threads in cycling, the Motors forum isn't taking too kindly to extra penalties for speeding... https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057937026

Quite funny to compare and contrast what they want done to cyclists with the hint of more enforcement on motorists!*

*Like the Drink Driving stuff, this is just more bs from Ross. Without more widespread enforcement, what's the point of more laws/ penalties?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

That thread is a hoot and it’s the driver in me laughing at it.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Following on from a few "helpful" motorist initiated threads in cycling, the Motors forum isn't taking too kindly to extra penalties for speeding... https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057937026

Quite funny to compare and contrast what they want done to cyclists with the hint of more enforcement on motorists!*

*Like the Drink Driving stuff, this is just more bs from Ross. Without more widespread enforcement, what's the point of more laws/ penalties?

plenty reasonable comments in that thread, motorways would be only place speeds should be reviewed, but i worry enforcement of speeds anywhere wont happen, and to complain currently enough pts arnt doled out.

plenty reasonable comments in that thread,
    Some humdingers in there too though! Like I said, enforcement is so píss poor, for speeding as well as every other road traffic law, it hardly matters anyway.

Some humdingers in there too though! Like I said, enforcement is so píss poor, for speeding as well as every other road traffic law, it hardly matters anyway.

100% no point enacting new lads when the current ones arn't enforced, id suggest anyone caught speeding twice in a yr at the moment is a fool and a danger

Going to be off the bike now for 2/3 weeks. Got a piece of glass in my shoe when walking yesterday and tried to pry it out with my key as I could feel it under my heel. Key slipped got a scratch, tried again and sliced my right thumb wide open along the top side, my partner is a nurse and has stitched me up a few times but even she wasn't going near this one and sent me to A&E :(

On the bright side, because of the bandaging it looks like i'm constantly giving a thumbs up and it's painful enough to stop me driving so I get chauffeured around now :pac:

100% no point enacting new lads when the current ones arn't enforced, id suggest anyone caught speeding twice in a yr at the moment is a fool and a danger
    Well going by (several) threads on boards about it, the real road safety issue that should be prioritised according to many posters is actually people driving too slow, not too fast...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Well going by (several) threads on boards about it, the real road safety issue that should be prioritised according to many posters is actually people driving too slow, not too fast...

I always laugh at this one. The only time this is any issue is merging on motorways as it's harder to match speed. Even then, it's more an annoyance than an issue.

In every other scenario it is simply an annoyance, nothing more. They are not the danger, you/we are the danger. When you nearly hit a vehicle because you were unable or simply not driving to conditions to slow or stop in time, it is your fault.

I understand why people think this, it's the human condition, our brains are on auto pilot more often than we think and things that do not fit in with expected behaviour can be shocking and we don't always react as we should. It doesn't change the fact that it isn't their fault that we are not as prepared as we should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

There was a car parked up in the cycle lane on Georges Street for a number of days last week. It got a bit of traction on Twitter and was eventually towed away.

For the past two mornings, around 7.30am there has been a red car in its place. Anyone else encountered this car? A Guard has been standing at the junction there most mornings there studiously ignoring it!

Guards at a good few junctions this morning. Still doesn't stop people on their phones.

Anyway, McLaren have partnered up with Bahrain Merida Pro Cycling Team. McLaren by their very nature are hugely innovative so it will be interesting to see what they bring to the table, if anything. Not a great start though, they have broken all of the rules of photographing a bike, crosschained, non drive side, cranks at 45 degrees...

https://www.mclaren.com/appliedtechnologies/news/mclaren-to-become-joint-venture-partner-bahrain-merida-pro-cycling-team/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Guards at a good few junctions this morning. Still doesn't stop people on their phones.

Anyway, McLaren have partnered up with Bahrain Merida Pro Cycling Team. McLaren by their very nature are hugely innovative so it will be interesting to see what they bring to the table, if anything. Not a great start though, they have broken all of the rules of photographing a bike, crosschained, non drive side, cranks at 45 degrees...

Every time I've seen a car manufacturer do something bike related, it's been fugly or rubbish.

Lotus excepted (except the ugliness)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Will they put wee engines in the bikes?, should be a marginal gain, if they do.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Every time I've seen a car manufacturer do something bike related, it's been fugly or rubbish.
    i think the 'to a man with a hammer, every problem looks like a nail' principle applies here.

Weepsie wrote: »

Lotus excepted (except the ugliness)

The thing about McLaren is (McLaren Fanboi here) they are all about going fast, last few years not being a shining example of this admittedly but you have to admire the risk they took and the reasoning behind it for switching to Honda. Everything they do is about speed and light weight so it will be interesting to see if there are any innovations.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Nothing new really. They previously did work with Specialized and Merida were a large shareholder in Specialized in the past and I think also handled much of the manufacturing of specialized mass produced bikes so same/same

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Fairly interesting look at using behavioural economics to help rebalance distribution of Citibikes in New York. Once they established a leaderboard of "angels" who redistributed the most bikes, some people got pretty competitive.
    https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2018/12/11/675828915/citi-bike-s-better-angels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Funny one yesterday - I was walking and waiting at lights to cross. Lights were going orange and pedestrian on other side makes their way across the road. Taxi driver rushing to make it through the orange light beeps at pedestrian. Light is red by the time taxi driver comes through it. :rolleyes:

Advertisement