Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euthanasia

Options
  • 21-11-2018 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭

Been following a blogger documenting his battle with terminal cancer the past few months. He lost that battle at the end of September.
    More recently his family have posted a clip describing the last few days of his life and to be honest it’s fairly horrific. Things like vomiting so violently it projects up to the ceiling of his hospice room.
    An animal wouldn’t be allowed to suffer like that so why should a human being?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Gael23 wrote: »
    Been following a blogger documenting his battle with terminal cancer the past few months. He lost that battle at the end of September.
    More recently his family have posted a clip describing the last few days of his life and to be honest it’s fairly horrific. Things like vomiting so violently it projects up to the ceiling of his hospice room.

Because religion and politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Should the politics be changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Because ideologues like SJW's who are the scourge of at least western society object to it for their own self serving reasons. It appalls me the arguments they put forward in objection to it. They would rather ppl suffer unnecessarily only so they feel some higher virtue is being defended which they themselves can feel good about because they are the ones defending it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

and corporate welfare.

In the US it's as if For Profit healthcare will keep alive long enough to drain your remaining asses regardless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 206 ✭✭JustAYoungLad

AllForIt wrote: »
    Because ideologues like SJW's who are the scourge of at least western society object to it for their own self serving reasons. It appalls me the arguments they put forward in objection to it. They would rather ppl suffer unnecessarily only so they feel some higher virtue is being defended which they themselves can feel good about because they are the ones defending it.

Mate what does this have to do with the SJWs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Jessie Belle

I believe in choice and that this should 100% be legalised. If I cant wipe my arse, am dribbling like a teething baby and don't recognise my loved ones I give full permission to euthanise me.

Unless I'm pissed. Wait til the next morning just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Mate what does this have to do with the SJWs?

Because imo SJW are driven by ideological values just like say staunch Catholics. It is my belief that SJW's aren't solely concerned with equality amongst minorities but they are a kind of religion that isn't a religion in that they subscribe to ideological values.... to a fault. They are never pragmatic but ideological. This isn't surprising as affiliation to religions recedes in the west so it's a place for those types to go. So I'm saying SJW's are a bit more than ppl who simply defend social minority issues. It's a mentality not dissimilar to that of a staunch religious person which would rather ppl suffer in order to protect their ideological values.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Having witnessed a friend ending his days in in the manner you describe I fully agree with your sentiments. While death by lethal injection is used on criminals in some societies, and seen as justifiable, why is the humane ending of a terminally ill person's (in severe pain) life, such a taboo.lm not afraid to die but I fear dying with no dignity and in a pain that's present through every waking hour.

Because imo SJW are driven by ideological values just like say staunch Catholics. It is my belief that SJW's aren't solely concerned with equality amongst minorities but they are a kind of religion that isn't a religion in that they subscribe to ideological values.... to a fault. They are never pragmatic but ideological. This isn't surprising as affiliation to religions recedes in the west so it's a place for those types to go. So I'm saying SJW's are a bit more than ppl who simply defend social minority issues. It's a mentality not dissimilar to that of a staunch religious person which would rather ppl suffer in order to protect their ideological values.

You ever feel like youre shoehorning in your personal politics in tangential topics?

Mate if theres any institution out there against euthanasia its the catholic church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

This has reared its head in the UK as well and it's not a Catholic country by any means. I hope that as time goes on, euthanasia will be destigmatised. We all know far more now about the miserable lives and deaths suffered by many people. All because, it seems, there are no other options. I feel strongly about this issue after watching a loved one die slowly and horribly. Around the same time, a family pet had to be put to sleep. It makes no sense that an animal has the right to a quick death whereas a human has to be put through hell before they eventually expire. Palliative care or no palliative care, it's barbaric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That looks like a strong ideological value on your part.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

To play devils advocate, there is no way to 100% exclude the possibility that family friends may coerce or influence the process for their own reasons, which may not tally with the reasons of the person being euthanised, hence why i can't support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

judeboy101 wrote: »
    To play devils advocate, there is no way to 100% exclude the possibility that family friends may coerce or influence the process for their own reasons, which may not tally with the reasons of the person being euthanised, hence why i can't support it.

Thank you,. When they introduced it in Holland it got abused in many ways and still is.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Why blame SJWs? It’s the religious conservatives who object to euthanasia, for the most part. Most progressive or left leaning people are in favour of it.

You need to pick the right target for your anger.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

What has that got to do with euthanasia?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I think I'd be ok with that if it meant that in the vast majority of cases, terminally ill people didn't need need to suffer unnecessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

From what I've seen doctors are eager enough with the do not resuscitate forms.

Essien wrote: »
    I think I'd be ok with that if it meant that in the vast majority of cases, terminally ill people didn't need need to suffer unnecessarily.

With good hospice care, they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

While AllForIt's description of SJWs is absolutely spot on, I do agree it's a bit shoehorned into this topic. SJWs aren't what's holding back euthanasia

Spleerbun wrote: »
    While AllForIt's description of SJWs is absolutely spot on, I do agree it's a bit shoehorned into this topic. SJWs aren't what's holding back euthanasia

Mate his generic definition can fit literally almost any self righteous institution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,677 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Essien wrote: »

We're all going to die anyway, so what does terminal illness have to do with it - shouldn't we all be avoiding unnecessary suffering?

So how do you distinguish between necessary and unnecessary suffering?

Is the anguish experienced by a teenager with severe clinical depression really necessary? Why shouldn't they be allowed to request a doctor to kill them.

What about an elderly man with prostrate cancer? It's terminal - it will kill him eventually, but only if nothing else does first. What if he has something else non-terminal that's causing him far more suffering than the cancer is - can he request it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

We're all going to die anyway, so what does terminal illness have to do with it - shouldn't we all be avoiding unnecessary suffering?

So how do you distinguish between necessary and unnecessary suffering?

Is the anguish experienced by a teenager with severe clinical depression really necessary? Why shouldn't they be allowed to request a doctor to kill them.

What about an elderly man with prostrate cancer? It's terminal - it will kill him eventually, but only if nothing else does first. What if he has something else non-terminal that's causing him far more suffering than the cancer is - can he request it?
    I agree with you mostly. But what about someone facing imminent death , should there be a point where a patients medical team and next of kin can decide enough is enough and alleviate further suffering leading up to what is going to happen anyway within a short time?

I agree with you mostly. But what about someone facing imminent death , should there be a point where a patients medical team and next of kin can decide enough is enough and alleviate further suffering leading up to what is going to happen anyway within a short time?

wedges have very thin ends.. One of the cases in Holland was a young professional ballet dancer of 24 who had injured her foot and was told she would never dance again. She requested and gained euthanasia.

You mean something like this ?

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-23698071

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_Care_Pathway_for_the_Dying_Patient

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

Whats wrong with the youth in asia?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

What's wrong with Megadeth's 1994 tour-de-force, Youthanasia?

If we could get rid of all the sick, think of all the money we'd save (especially when combined with previous eminent proposals to get rid of immigrants, Travellers and women who don't fit into Dr Strangelove-style scenarios).

Yours,

the poor oppressed PAYE-paying men in their 30s & 40s of After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This already happens without legal euthanasia.
    Legalising it would just shine a spotlight on it and make it more difficult to get away with this coercive behaviour.
    But it's a fact that today some families coerce their loved ones into "giving up" prematurely.

It's relevant, but not directly connected, to legalised euthanasia.
    Graces7 wrote: »
    With good hospice care, they don't.
    This is naive.
    Suffering takes many forms. Someone doesn't have to be in pain, to be suffering. The indignity and helplessness of being in a hospice bed can be intolerable suffering for some.
    You cannot say that "with good hospice care, people don't suffer". It's just plain wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I agree with you about SJWs and their ideology , but I would have thought SJW would support euthanasia ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Next referendum of note we'll have here. Think we'll see it becoming more and more acceptable within the next ten years. Cannot understand why it is looked upon in such a negative light.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Is a referendum needed for this?

Advertisement