Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euthanasia

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I’m so sorry, eviltwin. Your poor pops. :(

I followed the blog of a woman who died of cancer. A family member wrote a guest post on the blog after her death to finish the blog off. Apparently one thing she said in her dying weeks was “I didn’t realise pain could be so painful”. I think many people don’t get what 10/10 pain feels like. I’ve been unfortunate enough to experience it twice in my life. Luckily both times, we eventually got it under control. But the things that run through your mind. At one point, jumping off my balcony seemed like a reasonable option. At this point, they were having trouble pinpointing the cause of the pain and couldn’t treat it until they did. Not only was I in sustained, extreme agony but I began to lose my mind a bit. Now imagine having pain that bad that no painkiller can even take the edge off?
    Re-write that to be "imagine having pain that bad that no painkiller can even take the edge off and that's how you'll spend your final hours/days." Morphine can dull a lot of pain but there are some cancers, especially bone cancers that no pain killer can touch.

You experienced the worst level of pain Breakfast and you know the toll it took on you, not only physically. I can't imagine how awful it must be for someone to be in absolute agony and know no matter how bad it gets, it won't get any better. It's not just the physical pain. It's the mental anguish they go through that gets to me. I saw it with my own mother and going by the posts on this thread, so did many people with their parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Re-write that to be "imagine having pain that bad that no painkiller can even take the edge off and that's how you'll spend your final hours/days." Morphine can dull a lot of pain but there are some cancers, especially bone cancers that no pain killer can touch.

You experienced the worst level of pain Breakfast and you know the toll it took on you, not only physically. I can't imagine how awful it must be for someone to be in absolute agony and know no matter how bad it gets, it won't get any better. It's not just the physical pain. It's the mental anguish they go through that gets to me. I saw it with my own mother and going by the posts on this thread, so did many people with their parents.

This was my point! That end-of-life 10/10 pain is sometimes not controllable and I wanted to show that I know exactly how bad that pain is and what it does to you mentally and physically.

Advertisement