Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euthanasia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Quandary

Some people need to stop interfering in things that have absolutely nothing to do with their own existence, and just because something offends your beliefs or your personal opinions doesn't give you some divine right to impose those views on others.

Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭yuridwyer

Graces7 wrote: »
    With good hospice care, they don't.

Yes they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Personally I think if someone is terminally ill they should be permitted the option - I know if / when that time cones for me I will travel (in advance of nearing the end)

Anyone who has witnessed someone dying from a terminal illness - (9 times out of 10 it’s not pain free or peaceful ) would always agree with euthanasia (in regulated cases)

Great post. I agree with it all.

+1

Friend of mine's father had cancer, and Parkinson's. Went to the river rather than facing the inevitable. Assisted suicide is the most compassionate option to an undignified certainty. It will only be a matter of time before it becomes legalised. Divorce, abortion, gay marriage - only one thing left. There is no coherent argument against it - as with everything, when the pros outweigh the cons it will be introduced. Of course it will be well-regulated, as it should be. But there is no doubt that for anyone who has gone through the pain of having a family member at such a point in their life existence where it's life for life's sake, as many posters have alluded to, that the only truly compassionate option would be to end it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

I hope it’s an option if I ever need it
    Less messy

Both me da and me best mate would have chose it if it was available so I know of what I speak.

Both colon cancer
    Don’t get colon cancer

• Advertisement

The psychiatrists of the early 1900's said the same in Germany to the early Nazi party leadership. Next they were sending people they considered to have no value to their deaths(and getting paid per referral)..... guess what happened next?

70,000 mentally ill in Germany killed...6million Jews killed

That's what happens when you tell people they are of no value.

Ah here..... speaking of mentally ill......

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I'm all for assisted euthanasia or dying in a dignified manner. However, it needs heavy regulation. Anyone seeking such a service should at the very least be of sound mind and it should be shown that the person in question is not doing so under duress from external sources.

I also believer it should be open to those with terminal conditions with 6 months left and if it can be regulated, those with early stage Alzheimer's or Dementia, again, so they are not doing so under duress.

Being given a lethal injection is NOT a "beautiful way" for anyone to go.

Making the best of a bad situation? Maybe. Nothing is "beautiful" about dying ilke that.

Your statement is not valid. Previous poster said it was a beautiful way to go. What evidence have you got to disagree with them?? It might be your opinion, but it doesn't make it fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

My mother died last week. She had a DNR in place. Died very peacefully We were very worried about that, but it was just so peaceful in the end and just what she wanted.

No drugs no nothing, but very kind care.

Sorry, will miss her so much, but she got her dying wishes. Bless her.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

If i was ever to be in position of having a terminal illness, I will then be going on my own terms. Family and friends are fully aware of my wishes, no religious nonsense, no folks trying to talk me out of it, anyone who attempts to guilt trip or say I am selfish will be told to F**K OFF.

I will make every effort to get to a dignitas clinic if able, if not then a pile of the best sleeping tables and painkillers and a bottle of tequila and forever dead land here I come.

No one should have to suffer of watch your closest suffer in their last days/weeks/months. It can be very undignified for the person who is facing the end, i do advocate and believe assisted suicide should be legalized, yes it should also be heavily regulated to ensure no malpractice, but a person should have the right to decide for themselves.

I have watched the news, in particular Marie Fleming's case and can't help but admire her strength and determination to try get what she wished for, but a bunch of spineless politicians and judgmental religious clowns made her journey at the end so much harder than it needed to be. She had a very strong group in support of her and hope when my time comes i have the same support.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Big difference between assisted-dying and euthanasia. Anywhere it’s legal, it’s not something that can be done to you, it’s something you request.

When society has told a person they're of no value and they believe their existence is of no value and they're just a burden on people...what's the difference between euthanasia band assisted dying? It's just semantics.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    There is a huge difference between mentally ill and terminally ill. I absolutely do not think people with mental illness should be put to sleep. The story of the woman in the wheelchair is harrowing. Clearly she is deeply depressed but that's no reason to end her life. Those vultures should be trying to get her into counselling and other support systems. People like that are why others are wary of euthanasia.
    It started with mental illness and ended with the murder of 6million + people due to disability, race, colour, ethnic origin, sexual orientation...the list goes on.

The core reason was that they were of no value to humanity. A burden on society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

yuridwyer wrote: »
    +1

Friend of mine's father had cancer, and Parkinson's. Went to the river rather than facing the inevitable. Assisted suicide is the most compassionate option to an undignified certainty. It will only be a matter of time before it becomes legalised. Divorce, abortion, gay marriage - only one thing left. There is no coherent argument against it - as with everything, when the pros outweigh the cons it will be introduced. Of course it will be well-regulated, as it should be. But there is no doubt that for anyone who has gone through the pain of having a family member at such a point in their life existence where it's life for life's sake, as many posters have alluded to, that the only truly compassionate option would be to end it.
    Couldn't agree more. If I take after my father's side of the family I will live a healthy life into my 80's or 90's and have a heart attack. If I take after my mother's side, I will get cancer in my 60's and have a prolonged death. After watching my mother fading I would 100% opt for euthanasia.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,681 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

cocker5 wrote: »

Anyone who has witnessed someone dying from a terminal illness - (9 times out of 10 it’s not pain free or peaceful ) would always agree with euthanasia (in regulated cases)

I have, and I don't.

It sounds like hospice doctors here need to up their game considerably. Pain should be extremely rare if they're doing their job properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Gael23 wrote: »
    Been following a blogger documenting his battle with terminal cancer the past few months. He lost that battle at the end of September.
    More recently his family have posted a clip describing the last few days of his life and to be honest it’s fairly horrific. Things like vomiting so violently it projects up to the ceiling of his hospice room.
    An animal wouldn’t be allowed to suffer like that so why should a human being?

I have no personal experience of it but I listened to my friend describing her sister's last two weeks despite the palliative care team coming in constantly and you wouldn't wish it on a dog. There were days where herself and her niece needed to wash and change her and they couldn't because she'd scream in insane pain at even a light gentle touch. The second last night she vomited up what they were told was bits of her innards. No one should have to live while dying like that. Morphine etc doesn't touch that pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,681 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

yuridwyer wrote: »
    Your statement is not valid. Previous poster said it was a beautiful way to go. What evidence have you got to disagree with them?? It might be your opinion, but it doesn't make it fact.

The death itself may have looked gentle and peaceful But there is nothing beautiful about being killed. It's the ultimate statement that the person is not valued - and will rapidly expand to other people who aren't valued. Look at how many posters here hate travellers.

The death itself may have looked gentle and peaceful But there is nothing beautiful about being killed. It's the ultimate statement that the person is not valued - and will rapidly expand to other people who aren't valued. Look at how many posters here hate travellers.

I humbly disagree with you in the strongest possible sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Are you for real?

I've seen some fcuked up posts in AH before but this is nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

So people wanting to chose the date and circumstances of them checking out automatically means a traveller holocaust?

I'm sure theres logic there somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

P_1 wrote: »
    So people wanting to chose the date and circumstances of them checking out automatically means a traveller holocaust?

I'm sure theres logic there somewhere

By "checking out" I assume you mean "killing themselves". Interesting how you feel the need to use euphemisms for something you think there's clearly nothing amiss or questionable about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

When society has told a person they're of no value and they believe their existence is of no value and they're just a burden on people...what's the difference between euthanasia band assisted dying? It's just semantics.

No, it’s not. Anywhere it’s legal, the person has to be able to self-administer the drugs. If they can’t self-administer, then it can’t happen. The deaths must be filmed to prove that the person took the drug themselves. That is the difference right there. With euthanasia, the doctor can administer the drug but nowhere allows this. It is not just semantics.

Assisted dying is heavily regulated where it’s legal. A person can’t decide on a whim. They are assessed and interviewed. Any good psychiatrist will be able to spot reticence in someone requesting assisted dying.

I have, and I don't.

It sounds like hospice doctors here need to up their game considerably. Pain should be extremely rare if they're doing their job properly.

There is no hospice anywhere in the world that can 100% guarantee that a death will be peaceful. If hospices here need to “up their game”, well, that means hospices all over the world need to also. I doubt there’s a palliative care doctor anywhere that would claim they can make every death free of suffering.

An illness like cancer can be horribly unpredictable in the end. If it’s your bones especially, sometimes that pain can’t be killed. Sometimes morphine can’t even touch it and then the dose goes so high that the patient dies. A socially acceptable form of assisted dying that nobody has a problem with apparently. But the patient suffers on the way to reaching that point.
    By "checking out" I assume you mean "killing themselves". Interesting how you feel the need to use euphemisms for something you think there's clearly nothing amiss or questionable about.

When people use the euphemism ‘passed away’, does that mean that they think there is something amiss with how the person died?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭piplip87

It should be compulsory.

Fit and healthy, Unemployed for a year with no attempt to retrain ? Euthanasia is the answer.

Above 10 convictions for theft, murder, rape ? Euthanasia is the answer

Not paying your mortgage while owing 400,000 to revenue ? Euthanasia is the answer

When you hit 75 years of age and become dependant on others euthanasia is the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nessel

Mrs o bumble, how is the person not valued if he asked for it himself. He's mentioned wanting to die for years. His life would have been horrible for him.

Piplip87 wow taking the piss much?
    Sorry but that post is not cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Death isn’t good but a peaceful death is the best one can hope for. Palliative care in hospice is not always able to provide a peaceful death despite best efforts. If the lethal injection gave him a peaceful death, that’s the best case scenario fulfilled.

I’d rather die “like that” than painfully. And painful deaths can occur even in hospice, sadly.

I don't disagree with your thinking, but the injection scenario doesn't seem to be that simple at all;

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/feb/26/gory-botched-alabamas-aborted-execution-of-inmate-was-bloody-says-lawyer

Nessel wrote: »
    Mrs o bumble, how is the person not valued if he asked for it himself. He's mentioned wanting to die for years. His life would have been horrible for him.

Probably also said they feel a burden of those looking after them. It's better they were gone. They don't see the value in their continuance etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Simply put it's an extension of the "my body my choice" sentiment from the recent abortion campaign.

When my body eventually craps out you bet your last cent I'm going to be going out on my terms.

I'd much rather do that in a dignified manner than say, throw myself in front of a train

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Would you ever cop on. People want travellers to get educated, get tax paying employment and stop going on the rob. No one wants to put them all to sleep.

Keeping someone who has no quality of life alive against their wishes is saying that they are not valued. Why shouldn't their wishes be taken into consideration?

Probably also said they feel a burden of those looking after them. It's better they were gone. They don't see the value in their continuance etc

You’re adding bits on to an actual real life story, not a for instance. Have some respect!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

piplip87 wrote: »
    It should be compulsory.

Fit and healthy, Unemployed for a year with no attempt to retrain ? Euthanasia is the answer.

Above 10 convictions for theft, murder, rape ? Euthanasia is the answer

Not paying your mortgage while owing 400,000 to revenue ? Euthanasia is the answer

When you hit 75 years of age and become dependant on others euthanasia is the answer.

Euthanasia is what the person wants.

Advertisement