Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CLASSIC HITS OR 4FM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

4fm is now CLS HITS on their RDS in Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

ITV2 wrote: »
    4fm is now CLS HITS on their RDS in Dublin area.

Well, at least they can't force it to the left like they did with 4FM (instead of centering like every other station).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

They should have just settled on CLASSIC, then again it could be confused with Classic FM (UK) in border areas if it reached there..

It was always going to look silly no matter what way they did it. RDS name has always been limited to 8 characters, and that isn't going to change any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

Don't some of the "fancier" cars have new RDS systems? I usually have to rent one when i'm in the country but some of them have a digital display and give the station tagline and possibly the song that is playing. Would they be able to display a full name on that?

Something in my head says that the RDS comes from the transmission site? So could say different things from different transmitters.. i'm sure some techy could explain that though.

• Advertisement

What you will see in cars is the RDS "program service" (PS) name. This is limited to 8 characters and this standard is not likely to change. The characters are static.

In some countries it is acceptable to rotate this message e.g. it could display "CLASSIC" for a few seconds then switch to "HITS". But in Ireland, this is not permitted.

In addition, some radios will display the RDS "radio text" (RT) message. This is much longer (64 characters I believe). This can be static or dynamic. For example, some stations will display a slogan and some will display the current playing song information.

RDS does come from the transmission site, but the content can be controlled remotely. If an operator has more than one transmitter location the RDS program service name or radio text message could be different on them.

LYRIC%20DAB.jpg

plenty of text on DAB.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

plenty of text on DAB.

And even the odd picture if your radio supports it. None at the moment that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

They've changed it to "CLS HITS" in Galway now too.

Yes, a lot of new radios now have "Radio Text" (RT) as well as RDS. Not that RT is anything new. I had a mini-HiFi 20 years ago in my bedroom that had RT! 4FM / "Classic Hits" seem to localise the RT, so here it says "Galway's Classic Hits".

Its a very confused and limp fisted effort at a name change.... they still have "4FM" in some jingles. Which is it?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

All major relays in the south seem to be CLS HITS now

104.2 in Limerick this evening is displaying the current song instead of "Limericks Classic Hits Station".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It’s on my radio now as CLS HITS now which is annoying. It used be no1 when I would roll the button on my steering wheel up and I’d always hear something decent whether it be a classic tune or Niall Boylan. Now it’s some dance trance bollocks.

LYRIC%20DAB.jpg

DAB is the biggest waste of money I’ve ever seen.

€1000 optional in my car for fücking RTÉ stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

It’s on my radio now as CLS HITS now which is annoying. It used be no1 when I would roll the button on my steering wheel up and I’d always hear something decent whether it be a classic tune or Niall Boylan. Now it’s some dance trance bollocks.
    Niall Boylan isn't bollocks??

CWF wrote: »
    Niall Boylan isn't bollocks??

You don't have to agree with someone to be entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

I disagree...... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

I think the RDS should read "CL.HITS". The current CLS HITS just looks like the letters CLS are supposed to stand for something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I think the RDS should read "CL.HITS". The current CLS HITS just looks like the letters CLS are supposed to stand for something.

Too much like CLITS :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Too much like CLITS :eek:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

More like CL5HITS. Really don’t like it.

• Advertisement

No matter which way they slice and dice it, it'll look bad. Maybe change it to just "HITS"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted Plain

Dreadful change, I have to say.

CLS HITS

It's like that even on the fancy car radios which show the name of the song being played.

Have they also changed their 'Classic Hits 4FM' jingle? I liked that, I have to say. Nice retro sound to it! It reminds me very much of the one of a (now defunct) MOTR station I used to listen to when I lived in Germany called MDR LIFE.

I always toggle between 4FM and Nova and I'm happy at that. I don't mind a bit of Boylan, except when he goes off on one about anti-vaxxers yet again. His heart is in the right place, though. Love it when texters troll him saying that he's on 300k a year and he always falls for it. :pac:

Saturday (and Sunday) evenings on 4FM is the absolute business. Uninterrupted music.

A strict diet of 4FM and Nova means never having been exposed to One Direction and the likes!

Change 'er back to 4FM, guys!

Safe to say, I'm a 4FM fan. All radios in the house and in both of our cars are set to it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Think as a radio station its just ok.
    Thetes a bit too much chat, and inane chat at that, for my liking.
    Never listen to niall boylan. Couldnt take that tbh.
    I tune out when the pair on the weekday early mornings start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 VCR repair man

Classic hits is such a stupid confusing name for a radio station, especially a radio station with 6 hours of talk per day.

This name change is a disaster,Classic Hits 4FM was way better

Dreadful rebrand.

CLS HITS looks so unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

vince wrote: »
    The face book page heading is now just classic hits. Is it winding down or somthing i dont get niel boylans night time hours being cut. Sounds awful all those repeats on random nights. Perhaps he got a wage cut for less hours.

Niall hours cut NOooooooooooo love this guy , wish he 'd get a talk show on tv not afraid to speak out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Dreadful rebrand.

CLS HITS looks so unprofessional.

4FM was a terrible name to start with anyway.

Rds should just read CLASSIC or CLASSICS

Rds should just read CLASSIC or CLASSICS

Yeah, agree looks tatty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

It showed up on my phone this morning as "CL****S" xD

Advertisement