Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CLASSIC HITS OR 4FM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Swapping the breakfast shows makes a lot of sense if it goes ahead.
    Classic Hits is struggling outside of Dublin,it's listenership is static so something has to change.Colm and Lucys show originally found fame on RTE 2FM which is a national station hence placing them on classic hits,a semi national, may work.

Colm and Lucy on Nova was a bad fit from Day one - Breakfast is king in radio and a weak breakfast show leads to poor figures across the day.
    With the two new radio consultants in Castleforbes they made the obvious decision to drop the failing show.
    Wake up happy is popular (in Dublin ) and should prove popular on Nova.
    The big question is what impact there will be on Classic Hits ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Oh dear. Last time I heard Colm Hayes on the radio was when he was drearily fumbling through the drive time slot on 2FM after they had booted Will Leahy. He's appalling.

Its a big setback back for Classic Hits imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Oh this is awful. No way will I listen to classic hits now I don’t like Colms style

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Colm Hayes and Lucy Kennedy have previously been with 2FM, prior to Radio Nova. They worked separately and together during their time on 2FM. Colm has more connections with 2FM, having originally been involved with the station for about a year during the late 1980s.

Colm Hayes spent a number of years, mainly as breakfast show co-host, on Capital Radio/Rock104/FM104. He is particularly associated with the Strawberry Alarm Clock, which he co-presented with Jim-Jim Nugent. They presented a breakfast show on 2FM for a while, before Colm was moved to different slots and Jim-Jim returned to FM104. Lucy Kennedy's only connection with another station that I am aware of is when she was involved with sales for Spin103.

Colm, of course, has plenty of pirate radio experience from the 1980s. He is most associated with the superpirates: Radio Nova, Q102 and Energy 103.

Edit: On the subject of superpirates, in the early days of 4FM, there were a number of presenters that had been involved with the so-called superpirates - Dublin and elsewhere. Over the years, the number of these has dropped. Recently, there were none from that background on Classic Hits. Colm Hayes has brought that number back up to one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Aaaand there goes the last reason to listen to Classic Hits. :(

Unless of course you're big into Niall Boylan's particular brand of Jeremy Kyle-lite outrage hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Cube98

Bay broadcasting paid for expensive consultants just to tell them that Hayes and Kennedy would be more suited to the 45+ music/chat licence rather than the Rock licence. 🙄

Crap, I used to enjoy Classic hits just for this show.. :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Think I'll be listening to Nova during breakfast and CH and other stations as I do today via smart speaker outside that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Ah lads..give Colon and Loosey a go..sure you might like their overly scripted Benny Hill/ Chubby Brown humour....:D

Strange how there's nothing on either Nova or CHs social media about the change (after posting an announcement on Friday).

The lads this morning were saying listeners had a bit to say via WhatsApp after it went public (presumably not public).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Strange how there's nothing on either Nova or CHs social media about the change (after posting an announcement on Friday).

The lads this morning were saying listeners had a bit to say via WhatsApp after it went public (presumably not public).
    Classic Hits had it on their Facebook at first but it was deleted within the first hour. The comments were overwhelmingly negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flowergirl201

Glaceon wrote: »
    Classic Hits had it on their Facebook at first but it was deleted within the first hour. The comments were overwhelmingly negative.

I can only imagine. When they put the post up on Friday about the scheduling change coming everyone was commenting as long as pj and Jim are staying itll be OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Cube98

Is this the first time in Irish radio history that 2 programs have swapped stations?🀔

I can only imagine. When they put the post up on Friday about the scheduling change coming everyone was commenting as long as pj and Jim are staying itll be OK.

The lads didn't sound that convincing that they were happy either on air this morning. Saying 'it is the powers that be'...they can probably see they've been shafted.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Never heard of nova is that a dublin station

Level 42 wrote: »
    Never heard of nova is that a dublin station

Classic rock license for Dublin and the commuter belt. It's been on the go since 2010. Both stations have common ownership through Bay Broadcasting.

I'm surprised you have not noticed this thread:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057642371

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

If the comments on the stations Facebook about the announcement were overly negative, I can only imagine how irked PJ & Jim might have been when they were informed about this coming switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Classic rock license for Dublin and the commuter belt. It's been on the go since 2010. Both stations have common ownership through Bay Broadcasting.

I'm surprised you have not noticed this thread:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057642371
    Ownership seems to be intertwined a fair bit. Sunshine are in the same building and East Coast FM seem to have some involvement too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Bay Broadcasting hired a consultancy firm to develop the two brands of Nova and Classic earlier this year. So significant changes should be expected.

https://radiotoday.ie/2021/01/bay-broadcasting-hires-dave-kelly-and-liam-thompson/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flowergirl201

JDxtra wrote: »
    Bay Broadcasting hired a consultancy firm to develop the two brands of Nova and Classic earlier this year. So significant changes should be expected.

https://radiotoday.ie/2021/01/bay-broadcasting-hires-dave-kelly-and-liam-thompson/

We have them to blame for this so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

The listeners in Cork won't like this change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

The listeners in Cork won't like this change

You are so correct.

Now that I think of it, the recent change announcement regarding Breakfast on Classic Hits 4fm it will also have a negative impact for any regulars used to tuning into PJ Gallagher & Jim McCabe at breakfast time not just from my native Cork but also Limerick, Galway, County Clare, County Wicklow, County Kildare, County Meath given it's multi-city licence. Listeners in Dublin and the surrounding regions may still be able pick up the lads broadcasting on NOVA on the FM dial once the change happens but not everyone outside NOVA's FM reach will find the APP or Online as convenient once they are on the move or in the car as before.

(At one stage I thought there was an intention for NOVA to be made available in the Cork area but I've heard nothing of it in recent times)

Not sure if I will bother listening to Colm Hayes & Lucy Kennedy and if I want to continue tuning into PJ & Jim in the morning, the App or Online is not always convenient when you are coming and going. It seems ironic in a week that RTÉ announced the closure of it's long running DAB trial of it's digital stations although; it would seem that RTÉ has performed a U-Turn by allowing the same digital stations to continue Online and presumably on Saorview etc;
    PJ & Jim will be missed on FM in Cork, no doubt about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Different strokes for different folks! Anyone I speak to in Cork can’t stand PJs accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

thejuggler wrote: »
    Different strokes for different folks! Anyone I speak to in Cork can’t understand PJs accent.

Fixed that for ye there....:P
    I feel for the lads..I listened a few times , the banter was very natural...unlike what's coming for the CH listeners...all I can say is make your feelings pay by not listening...

Fixed that for ye there....:P
    I feel for the lads..I listened a few times , the banter was very natural...unlike what's coming for the CH listeners...all I can say is make your feelings pay by not listening...

Even the banter with Tara after the half 6 in the morning headlines, and Mike when's he brought in for the Hit Bit link is natural.

Damn it, that's what I'll miss most, PJ & Jim's reactions to Mike's puns.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Even the banter with Tara after the half 6 in the morning headlines, and Mike when's he brought in for the Hit Bit link is natural.

Damn it, that's what I'll miss most, PJ & Jim's reactions to Mike's puns.

I'll be switching to Nova for breakfast....but as you say the banter with the others won't be there. It seemed genuine and they used to post about on their personal social media, would say they are all gutted.

Another day with nothing on the radio stations social media, closer to the time they'll have to post it and will cop abuse.

I'll be switching to Nova for breakfast....but as you say the banter with the others won't be there. It seemed genuine and they used to post about on their personal social media, would say they are all gutted.

Another day with nothing on the radio stations social media, closer to the time they'll have to post it and will cop abuse.

I'm switching to Nova too, as will probably everyone else who tunes in for the 4 hours their on the air every morning. That said, they might hit it off with whoever's going to be producing them and reading the headlines, but it'll always come back around to ah they aren't Tara and Mike, or John when Tara's off :pac: - no more friendly slagging of Tara either, damn it Classic Hits, why was the swap sanctioned?

I'm hoping too they'll be able to carry on doing the After Show Show podcast.

As for nothing on the stations socials, denial possibly? I'd say Friday's final show, will be a bit odd for them all.

That said when they do finish up just before 10 on Friday, what's gonna happen in the 3 weeks before the change? Next Monday morning after 6 will be weird.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I'm switching to Nova too, as will probably everyone else who tunes in for the 4 hours their on the air every morning. That said, they might hit it off with whoever's going to be producing them and reading the headlines, but it'll always come back around to ah they aren't Tara and Mike, or John when Tara's off :pac: - no more friendly slagging of Tara either, damn it Classic Hits, why was the swap sanctioned?

I'm hoping too they'll be able to carry on doing the After Show Show podcast.

As for nothing on the stations socials, denial possibly? I'd say Friday's final show, will be a bit odd for them all.

That said when they do finish up just before 10 on Friday, what's gonna happen in the 3 weeks before the change? Next Monday morning after 6 will be weird.

If it's Tara Duggan or John Harte, they also read the news on Nova. So, you may be okay there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

I gather CSI (Classic Songs Investigation) as a concept will continue on Classic Hits after these schedule changes come into effect.
    However; I assume PJ & Jim will also be replaced on their Saturday morning CSI show at 10am as well?
    Does anyone know IF Colm Hayes & Lucy Kennedy are taking over the CSI show on Saturdays once PJ & Jim switch to NOVA?

Advertisement